Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

ProAc D18 Floorstanders - Review

+19
bimmerman
chua55
mugenfoo
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
mofaz
kkthen
scllyt
WongKN
adrian4454
wabun
bassraptor
hifikrazy
joeling
Glassaudio
tycham
Wikin
llsaw
ryder
elhefe
23 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

ProAc D18 Floorstanders - Review - Page 3 Empty Re: ProAc D18 Floorstanders - Review

Post by elhefe Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:55 am

This thread has evolved from a simple laymen review to speaker placement debate to room acoustic design and very nearly to physics education hehehe Smile

No worries though. All comments has its merit.

As of this morning, the speakers has been run in for approximately 240 hours. the sound has definitely changed and may I say improved with time. This morning, I put on Bob Marley - Redemption Song and also Eagles Hotel California. Both sounded very alive and airy. Listening to the husky voice of Bob and the guitar plucking made me want to be a hippy hehehe. And of course Hotel California, hhhhmmm such a classic tune. The ProAc can really deliver the details of the guitars on this track. I also comapred it with the Gypsy King's version of the track with an uptempo arrangement. The ProAc can really define the several guitars being used by Gypsy Kings.

Am I happy? Yes. Is there a room for betterment? Maybe. Do I dare to start on the betterment? Waaaaaaaaaiiiiitttt.
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

ProAc D18 Floorstanders - Review - Page 3 Empty Re: ProAc D18 Floorstanders - Review

Post by joeling Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:04 pm

Spoke to the local guru just yesterday. he said break-in time for his D38 was around 1000hrs yep 1k Shocked

Enjoy
joeling
joeling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2009-06-25

Character sheet
Source(s): Aurender, Bergmann, AMR, DCS
Amplification: ARC
Speakers: ProAc

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:41 pm

joeling wrote:Spoke to the local guru just yesterday. he said break-in time for his D38 was around 1000hrs yep 1k Shocked

Enjoy

Waaahhh liau. Might as well ask the dealer to break in the speaker first in his shop. Save electricity Smile
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

Back to top Go down

Post by joeling Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:46 pm

elhefe wrote:
joeling wrote:Spoke to the local guru just yesterday. he said break-in time for his D38 was around 1000hrs yep 1k Shocked

Enjoy

Waaahhh liau. Might as well ask the dealer to break in the speaker first in his shop. Save electricity Smile

Exactly what I'm doin' Laughing
joeling
joeling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2009-06-25

Character sheet
Source(s): Aurender, Bergmann, AMR, DCS
Amplification: ARC
Speakers: ProAc

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:52 pm

I can smell a review of D38 is coming along soon Smile. Shall we target for New Year's day for this?

1000 hrs/24 = 41 days

19 Nov + 41 days = 1st Jan 2011 Smile
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by hifikrazy Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:37 pm

joeling wrote:
Enough for the whole room. Costed an arm & a long. 3 months delivery. Still waiting....

Oh, you are the one. Called AV Design about getting some Microtraps and I heard that some guy bought a room worth of Real Traps that could pay for a Proton Waja. Shocked

After I heard that, I had to sheepishly abstain from mentioning that I only wanted 2 Microtraps. Malu only... Embarassed

hifikrazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by KenZen Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:28 pm

elhefe, congratulations on your new babies!

We all have to make do with our surrounding. Having an empty room to play with will be great so here's a link I found a few days ago while ogling at what my friend's neighbour have to share with you. http://www.audiophysic.de/aufstellung/regeln_e.html

Now, all you need is 2 suckers... i mean willing friends to help you move the speakers around while you listen for the changes. Twisted Evil

KenZen
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Ppphheeww just moved te D18s to my old house. Hey, why am i phewing? It wasnt who carried those speakers hehehe. The dealer set up the speakers only as i have not unbox my hifi.

A long night I will have setting it up.

Thanks for te website link. Have to take out my measuring tape now.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:22 am

I have set up the hifi using the Rule of Five. But the room is still messy with other stuff. For now, everything working fine. The sound is as luscious as before. In fact even better. Maybe because I have not been hearing to them for 1 week over the move.

Will start anothwr thread for new project on room set up.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by alamdamai1 Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi elhefe, hv u ever auditioned d B&W CM9 floorstanders?...if so, how do u find it compared 2 ur D18? your kind reply is highly appreciated...many thx...Question

alamdamai1
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-12-28

Character sheet
Source(s): Marantz UDP 7007
Amplification: Cyrus 6a, Naim NAP 100
Speakers: KEF Q900

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:42 pm

alamdamai1 wrote:Hi elhefe, hv u ever auditioned d B&W CM9 floorstanders?...if so, how do u find it compared 2 ur D18? your kind reply is highly appreciated...many thx...Question

HI alamdamai1,

I did have a listen to CM9 but it was hooked up as a home theatre set up at a friend's house. Solid bass. Driven by a Pioneer AVR. But when played in stereo, it was too bassy. Cant really point it to the speakers as it may be the Pioneer or the way the SW was set up.

ProAc D18 Floorstanders - Review - Page 3 Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3