Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Blues albums

+4
sunsn
fizi
tlkoo
CH
8 posters

Go down

Blues albums Empty Blues albums

Post by CH Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:14 am

Care to recommend good blues albums/artists? Do tell the sub category of blues if possible.

I'm learning to appreciate blues.

CH
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Blues albums Empty Re: Blues albums

Post by tlkoo Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:31 pm

keb mo self-titled album, pretty light blues indeed!
Blues albums Album-10

this is more difficult to accept as it comes with lots of shouting/yelling... https://www.hifi4sale.net/music-video-reviews-f7/texas-blues-swing-blues-t12082.htm

tlkoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:21 pm

sara k , muddy waters , stevie ray voughan , buddy guy , eric clapton , norah jones .....enjoy Very Happy
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1293
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by tlkoo Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:28 pm

oh yes, we needn't go far but eric clapton- unplugged is a good example of blues album

whilst norah jones- come away with me ain't blues lah...

tlkoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sunsn Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:02 am

John Lee Hooker, B. B. King, J. J. Cale, Doug Macleod, Junior Wells, James Cotton, Taj Mahal, Sherman Robertson, John Mayall, Jimmy D. Lane, Lightin' Hopkins, Sonny Boy Williamson, Otis Spann, Pinetop Perkins, and so many more.....enjoy!

sunsn

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by CH Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:31 am

Any particular blues albums to listen before you die? I know that some albums were produced during their prime.

CH
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by sunsn Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:25 am

Depends on whether you like the particular styles and the accompanying instruments. If you like the piano, then Pinetop Perkins and Otis Spann are great. If the harmonica appeals to you, then Junior Wells, James Cotton, Sonny Boy Williamson (the "second" one) are great. If you like the sound of the Upright Bass, then Willie Dixon's numbers are really good. If you are into guitars (acoustic/electric), then you should listen to Buddy Guy, based on whose style of playing, Jimi Hendrix developed his unique style.

Buddy Guy still plays although he is in his mid to late 70's. Of course, there are the inimitable B. B. King (now in his 80's!) and Muddy Waters (sadly no more) who influenced Buddy Guy's style of playing! Ideally you should watch the DVD's of Buddy Guy, B. B. King and Muddy Waters to really understand what makes the Blues so appealing! They have unique styles of playing, even for same numbers.

Mind you, in all of the instruments/artistes mentioned above, the vocals by these artistes themselves are the integral part of the music. The instruments they play, respectively, are an accompaniment to their performance. Some of these artistes are associated with the "traditional" blues, whereas artistes like Buddy Guy and B B King have adapted many of the traditional styles of blues music to appeal to a wider audience. Eric Clapton who was so enamoured with this kind of music is often credited with helping the revival this style of music Hope this helps...and happy hunting.

sunsn

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by tlkoo Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:49 pm

CH wrote:Any particular blues albums to listen before you die? I know that some albums were produced during their prime.

though music enjoyment is truly dear to my heart, i am never attached to the idea that i must have listened to certain materials before i die, i'd rather take the approach of taking it as it comes and letting it as it goes!!!

that said, if you are/ have been so attached, naargh... http://rateyourmusic.com/list/GilmoursAngst/1001_albums_to_listen_to_before_you_die__my_take_/

have fun Very Happy

tlkoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTESUANO Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:16 pm

Some of my favourite :

Blues albums Scan0110

Blues albums Scan0111

Blues albums Scan0112

Blues albums Scan0113

Blues albums Scan0114Blues albums Scan0115

ARTESUANO
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by CH Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:16 am

sunsn wrote:Depends on whether you like the particular styles and the accompanying instruments. If you like the piano, then Pinetop Perkins and Otis Spann are great. If the harmonica appeals to you, then Junior Wells, James Cotton, Sonny Boy Williamson (the "second" one) are great. If you like the sound of the Upright Bass, then Willie Dixon's numbers are really good. If you are into guitars (acoustic/electric), then you should listen to Buddy Guy, based on whose style of playing, Jimi Hendrix developed his unique style.

Buddy Guy still plays although he is in his mid to late 70's. Of course, there are the inimitable B. B. King (now in his 80's!) and Muddy Waters (sadly no more) who influenced Buddy Guy's style of playing! Ideally you should watch the DVD's of Buddy Guy, B. B. King and Muddy Waters to really understand what makes the Blues so appealing! They have unique styles of playing, even for same numbers.

Mind you, in all of the instruments/artistes mentioned above, the vocals by these artistes themselves are the integral part of the music. The instruments they play, respectively, are an accompaniment to their performance. Some of these artistes are associated with the "traditional" blues, whereas artistes like Buddy Guy and B B King have adapted many of the traditional styles of blues music to appeal to a wider audience. Eric Clapton who was so enamoured with this kind of music is often credited with helping the revival this style of music Hope this helps...and happy hunting.

You're a real blues man. Sadly these are not readily available locally. Some of the blues are pretty noise and "confused" which I'm not particularly like. Lightnin Hopkin, BB King, Muddy Water, Gary Moore and Eric Clapton are very good. I prefer the slow and tuneful bass type of blues.

Thanks for the names, I could then explore more.

CH
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by CH Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:22 am

[/quote]
though music enjoyment is truly dear to my heart, i am never attached to the idea that i must have listened to certain materials before i die, i'd rather take the approach of taking it as it comes and letting it as it goes!!!

[/quote]

Those are masterpiece, a new standard that later influenced the peer and generations after them. It is the most cost effective way to build your personal music library.

I've seen that book in MPH but they had sold out.

CH
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by CH Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:51 am

Listened to Otis Spann - T'Aint Nobody's Business If I Do on youtube, that is exactly the type of blues I 'm looking for. It was so groovy. It was a bomb.

Willie Dixon is awesome!

Last edited by CH on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

CH
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Bite Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:17 pm

CH,

There is a chap who sells blues vinyl at Amcrop Mall. His name is Rama and he is quite knowledgeable with the blues. His records arent cheap but if you talk to him he would be in a position to recommend some good artiste and albums.

Check out Dr. Feelgood, Champion Jack Dupree, Katie Webster,Speckle Red if you like piano bluesman. I think you prefer electric blues and there are just so many artiste to check out.

Rock Corner at Mid Valley has a reasonably good spread of Blues CDs in their Jazz section.

Have fun.

Bite
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by tlkoo Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:46 pm

CH wrote:

[/quote]

Those are masterpiece, a new standard that later influenced the peer and generations after them. It is the most cost effective way to build your personal music library.

I've seen that book in MPH but they had sold out. [/quote]

be proud of your own collection with least reference to these so-called "bibles"

you'll feel good to have seen some self-picked albums appearing in some of these "bibles" which also means your taste for music is acknowledged rather than you have to acknowledge that of others Wink

tlkoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CH Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:58 pm

These "bibles" serve as a guide line. These were recognized and acclaimed by audio critics. You can't be wrong.

Simply picking from the rack might not be that wise. Being your taste for music is acknowledged rather than you have to acknowledge that of others is not the issue.

Would you learn from others' experience/expertise or pick up by yourself from scratch especially coming to learn new music genre? I'd prefer the former

Idea

CH
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by tlkoo Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:53 pm

it depends on your available time, ch-san Razz i used to spend 2- 3 hours weekly hanging around some favourite shop which served kopi-ping etc as i wished Smile i sampled numerous cd during each visit but still, there were lots of stringent measures i had before picking up any one album! nonetheless good times have ended but somehow i've come to a point of liking numerous genre, almost like alam flora sweeping almost everything, must be due to junkie setup ha...

in all seriousness and fairness, should we buy from shops, we only get to sample those the purchasing persons have decided to bring in due to various reasons, so... hopefully you may find shops with strong purchasing persons who have like tastes lor! never "independent" enough to buy from scratch lah... at times, we learn to know certain albums from friends and sometimes from megazines, that said, i hardly go through these channels lately but just search and buy with my mouse Smile which means i prefer to spend time to steadily figure out the albums myself to minimise impulsive purchases which may arise had these albums come from referral sources!

would you try texas blues? Blues albums 65 swing was never my favourite, but luckily i have started to like it!

what about this to guide your purchases?http://store.acousticsounds.com/g/1/Blues

have fun

tlkoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CH Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:57 pm

The local cd shops are struggling in sale due to pirated copy and trend of buying music online, pioneered by Apple.

The cd seller at the shop will give you long face if you sampled to many but to find not many that you like. Queue builds up at the counter only to add pressure on you.

My route is I build a shortlist of recommended artists especially those music genre that I'm foreign to, see them on youtube and read their discography on wiki and decide buying (hopeful the album at their prime). Basically, watching youtube should give a good idea of style of an artist.

Having done so, I could not tell the quality of recording.

CH
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by tlkoo Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:32 pm

alternatively you may be introduced to a walking/talking organic dictionary of blues music from him you will get to know the subgenre therein

have you heard of rock blues? john mayall's lah... he taught me but in any case, the best blues is the one spinning now eh Razz don't think too much ler Neutral

tlkoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CH Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:11 am

Rock blues? No leh. Learning Memphis, Delta, Folk and Country blues.

So far, the white's blues does not cut it for me.

CH
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by tlkoo Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:37 pm

i was offering to introduce a walking/talking organic dictionary, not forcing some rock blues down your throat lah... me no expert but often do i enjoy african blues, if you care to check it out Blues albums Talkin10

tlkoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CH Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:08 pm

That's not blues. New age, probably.

Anyway, I got the album and 3 more from Ry Cooder. This guy is a genius. His music is colorful albeit you may not like it at first listen, it will grow on you.

Last edited by CH on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

CH
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by tlkoo Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:14 pm

not pure blues, i agree! it's blues with some element of islamic culture but is it new age??? emm...

actually the "star" appears as ali farka toure rather than ry cooder, if you have been listening to this album you would know what i mean

tlkoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by James Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:30 am

Blues albums Sonny10

CH,

It one of my favourite. You may want to try this.

James
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:18 am

How bout Pete Alderton.....

Blues albums 00001310
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1293
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:33 am

If you've been listening to Led Zeppelin, you've been listening to the blues.
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Character sheet
Source(s): RegaPlanar3 w DenonDL103
Amplification: Exposure 2010s2
Speakers: SonusFaberToyTower

Back to top Go down