Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

New Music Discoveries...

2 posters

Go down

New Music Discoveries... Empty New Music Discoveries...

Post by JediSavant Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:43 pm

I thought it would be a good idea for us to share new discoveries in music, without bias to genre or recorded medium. This shouldn't be only about 'new' music, but just stuff we feel like sharing 'cos it's 'new' to us, like a long lost album or similar...

Here's something to kick things off:

Herbie Hancock - The Imagine Project

Led by legendary keyboardist Herbie Hancock, a bunch of musicians from around the world create a set of recordings with the theme of universal love and peace unifying the works. Of course, John Lennon's classic 'Imagine' gets a start in the proceedings.

Collaborators on this album include:

PINK, Jeff Beck, James Morrison, Anoushka Shankar, Tal Wilkenfeld (awesome bassist), Los Lobos, The Chieftains.

Also includes versions of songs such as: "The Times They Are A' Changin'", "Don't Give Up".

The diversity of musical traditions represented is quite startling, and even more so given the cohesive and coherent manner in which the music has been arranged.

I've only got the double LP, but I'm sure it'll be available on CD etc.
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Character sheet
Source(s): RegaPlanar3 w DenonDL103
Amplification: Exposure 2010s2
Speakers: SonusFaberToyTower

Back to top Go down

New Music Discoveries... Empty Re: New Music Discoveries...

Post by WongKN Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:19 pm

Good thread ! But this one rightfully belongs to the music review forum so I will (have already) move it there (here).
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:34 pm

Thanks for moving it here WongKN.

Today's installment is what's currently playing on my system. I dug it up after having decided to set up the CD player again to listen to some music I don't yet have on vinyl.

Concierto de Aranjuez by Joaquin Rodrigo performed by Paco de Lucia

This recording is on CD, released by Phillips 510-301-2 in 1991. It is an interpretation of one of the greatest pieces of guitar music composed last century and been recorded and performed by a diverse range of artistes such as Miles Davis, Keith Jarrett and even...um, Buckethead.

Rodrigo the composer himself "declared that no one had ever played his composition in such a brilliant manner."

It's a soothing and enjoyable piece to be enjoyed in it's entirety on a lazy afternoon. Now, if only I can find this on LP if it was ever pressed, as I noticed on the back cover of the CD that it was a DDD release...
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:39 am

Ah so ne, what my friend likes to call the 'orange juice' concerto. I myself likes this piece a lot. The concerto de aranjuez is supposedly the most famous of all guitar concertos. I am surprised you mention people like Miles Davis and Keith Jarrett. Really ? The artistes who played this that I am more familiar with are John Williams, the Romero brothers, and of course the legendary Andres Segovia.

I heard this concert live once at the philharmonic hall in KLCC. It was surreal because the playing was emotional but yet I could hear multiple errors from the guitarist. In one instance, he totally missed the fret and shook his head in disgust at himself. It was very enjoyable but that concert led me to wonder if being too familiar with a classical piece might not be that good a thing...
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:17 am

Miles Davis and Bill Evans collaborated on what was released as Sketches of Spain, a thorough re-working and re-interpretation of the Concierto de Aranjuez, and it's easily available now on 180gm re-issue, although I daresay that the earlier pressings are sonically superior.

Orchestras routinely make mistakes, sometimes comical ones, like a cellist sneezing during Beethoven's 5th a couple of weeks ago! The issue of familiarity to me is a salient one, and I think it pays to be familiar with a piece in that one can approach the performance with a degree of depth and opinion. It makes for a more interactive experience, as opposed to the guy in front who is clearly asleep and drooling... seen that once or twice too!
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:11 pm

The worse of course is the guy who starts to snore. Or those totally irresponsible b**t**ds who got free tickets, wastes it by attending just to show that he is 'cultured', then didn't understand the music and start chatting in the middle of a performance. All these things, -very sadly-, I I have encountered before, a couple of times.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:52 pm

An uninspiring day at Amcorp Mall today. The basement was hotter and stuffier than usual, and probably not made much better by the crushing hangover I was and still am suffering from.

I came home with only one record from there...

...Joss Stone - The Soul Sessions...

She sounds like Janis, like Sarah Jones... powerful and soulful... a young white British girl, who's also an actor apparently, punching out deep heart felt vocals... A revelation and an excellent recording.

I also picked up another box full of vinyl from mum's place and there are some gems in there too from the looks of it. Once I dust everything off, I'm sure there'll be something from there to report as well!
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down