Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Can a DVD Player be a CD Player replacement in sound quality?

+10
Wikin
sph
VS126
elhefe
zeebee
kychoo99
STC
bal
andlee2k
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Can a DVD Player be a CD Player replacement in sound quality? Empty Can a DVD Player be a CD Player replacement in sound quality?

Post by andlee2k Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:46 pm

Need the advise of all the sifus here.

I have a decades old JVC CD Player, although serviced by Hi-Way due bloated semi-conductors, cannot play certain CDs as well as skips on some.

I planned to purchase a newer or used one that can play some of my favorite CDs (this one cannot play e.g. Dire Straight, Tears For Fears, Eurythmics.... .)

The Primare DVD26 (on offer about RM2k by CMY with 1 year warranty) is within my budget, and also received very good reviews as a CD player by Home Theater (this is also as it was designed to be both): http://www.hometheater.com/content/sequence-strata-speaker-system-primare-dvd26-dvd-player-spa21-surround-processoramplifier
as well as AV-Magazin.De: http://www.av-magazin.de/Einleitung_Primare_DVD_26_DVD.2072.0.html

Also within my budget is the Marantz CD6004, the AA Primo CD Player (is this the model offered by Perfect Hifi at about rM2k?) or even the Yamaha CD-S700 (or the CD-s1000 although over my budget but still can larr). Or even the used Marantz CD7300, touted to be musical (my preference)
The CMY sales person recommended me to go for the Oppo 93 as for a few hundred more, I get a much better player with BD and USB, the works.

Although I do not have the chance to audition all these yet, due time constraint, but the Primare DVD26 is supposed to be designed to be a high end CD player as well. The high end CD player for the Oppo is the 95.

I am a bass freak, prefer hard hitting bass, am using a JBL Sub12 with front end Heybrook HB200 (the Rogers LS7 lookalike), that is using Elac aluminium dome tweeters (I found the sound or setup a bit bright) driven by a Yamaha RX-A 3010 av amp. The JVC is the XL-Z1050TN K2 CD player (old CD player might also be a bit bright?)

I listens to a wide genre of music, lesser on jazz and classical. Sentimental is also high on my list like Air Supply, although MJ or Johnny Hates Jazz is also my favored collection.

As I am now preparing my budget for a replacement CD player (poor man can only afford RM2k CD player, maybe a bit more), I certainly would appreciate all the advise I can get, especially from all you sifus here. Thank you all in advance.

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2011-09-29

Back to top Go down

Can a DVD Player be a CD Player replacement in sound quality? Empty Re: Can a DVD Player be a CD Player replacement in sound quality?

Post by bal Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Greetin's Master Jedi Andlee 2k.
Salutations, jubilations and a deep deep bow from the waist Japanese style to you. (ow, my poor old back, got to stop doing this too often Very Happy ).

May i offer a few suggestions. One is to use a DVD player as a transport, and get a decent out board DAC. The best sound i got in my system is thro an older 1st generation blu ray disc player as transport, and Buffalo II dac from the internet. For me that's it, my front end is complete.

Another option is to look for one of the older Pioneer dvd players, they were excellent transports. Ask Yap at octave in pj or our own Wikin here i'm sure they can tweak or mod it for you at a decent price so you have a front end that is not expensive but better than most cd players out there.

I have heard a few modded cd players, modded locally but our own home grown talents, and they beat anything out there for even up to 5 times the money.

So go down the road less travelled, and you will get more bang for your buck that should keep you happy for a long long time. Once i used to think that i needed to save a lot of money to buy something like Krell or CEC but not anymore.

Bal. have a great weekend friends.

bal

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac
Amplification: conrad Johnson, Oddessy Khartago mono b
Speakers: maggie 1.7

Back to top Go down

Can a DVD Player be a CD Player replacement in sound quality? Empty Re: Can a DVD Player be a CD Player replacement in sound quality?

Post by STC Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:29 pm

Hi,

Please see my PM to you. Thanks
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2010-08-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Ambiophonics setup.
Amplification:
Speakers: Electrostatics

https://stchelvam.wixsite.com/ambiophonics3dstereo

Back to top Go down

Post by kychoo99 Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:04 pm

STC wrote:Hi,

Dear Andlee2k,

Yup, IMHO a decent transport with STC's Theta Dac would be an excellent upgrade - definitely a huge leap as compare to your original suggestion of a DVD player or CDP which cost more than RM2k. Especially so, if you are more towards some dynamic presentation which Theta is well known for. Suggest that u give it an audition. Happy exploring.
kychoo99
kychoo99
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2011-01-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Wadia
Amplification: Krell + Mcintosh
Speakers: Infinity

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:37 pm

andlee2k wrote:Need the advise of all the sifus here.

The CMY sales person recommended me to go for the Oppo 93 as for a few hundred more, I get a much better player with BD ..The high end CD player for the Oppo is the 95.

I am a bass freak, prefer hard hitting bass, am using a JBL Sub12 with front end Heybrook HB200 (the Rogers LS7 ... certainly would appreciate all the advise I can get, especially from all you sifus here. Thank you all in advance.

Bro, I recently sold off an OPPO 83 replaced by an 105... If u r a bass freak, consider the 83... The 105 sounds lean compared with the 83 and it's a BD player to boot.. Lots selling on Audiogon for about
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:48 pm

Andlee2k,

Sorry, my story kena 'potong' before finish.. Typing on IPad really leceh when trying to edit.....

BD 83 r selling about $300-$400 on Audiogon n can be shipped here relatively cheap n safe.. Peter Seow can be a great help to get this done...

There a few modded versions too of the BD 83 if u r interested n no issues with the voltage as it is user selectable ...
My two sens worth.. Very Happy
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:50 pm

Andle2K,

Given your budget, both of the suggestions of either getting a DVD player+DAC or an Oppo player would be a great leap to your previous DVD player.

Oppo is known to already have a musical DAC built in and you will get the bonus of able to play BD too.

But yes, if movie is not the highest importance, then just get a dedicated CD player such as the Marantz or even Cambridge Audio. But do have a listen tonall these options.

Good luck.

Can a DVD Player be a CD Player replacement in sound quality? Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:51 am

"Bro, I recently sold off an OPPO 83 replaced by an 105... If u r a bass freak, consider the 83... The 105 sounds lean compared with the 83 and it's a BD player to boot.. Lots selling on Audiogon for about...." ZB wrote

This my sifu Bro above is SPOT ON.

The Oppo 83 is the best bang for the buck. Plays CD's, DVD, Blue Ray, Hard Disk and the most fantastic of all ........
Can a DVD Player be a CD Player replacement in sound quality? Dsc00710
(SACD Recordable) on a blank 50 sen dvd.
(Note: Pls buy the original SACD if you like what you hear in the recordable SACD, although no difference in sound quality, use it for evaluation only).

BEST BANG for the ringgit.....get it used.

It plays all the above with ooomph.
Worth every penny. No Regrets.Can a DVD Player be a CD Player replacement in sound quality? Dsc00711
VS126
VS126
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): MacMini, 16GB RAM, SSD with Clones mPsu / Clones Asher DSD Dac
Amplification: Crayon CFA 1.2, Red Dragon S500, Clones Audio 25PM /AP2
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by sph Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:08 am

What about the other Oppo models (95, 105,105 etc..)?
Appreciate comments on them .....

sph
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:58 am

[quote="VS126"]

The Oppo 83 is the best bang for the buck. Plays CD's, DVD, Blue Ray, Hard Disk and the most fantastic of all ........

(SACD Recordable) on a blank 50 sen dvd.
(Note: Pls buy the original SACD if you like what you hear in the recordable SACD, although no difference in sound quality, use it for evaluation only).

Hi VS126,
Could you please explain what do you mean by SACD recordable? Is it possible to make a SACD to SACD copy or copying a SACD to PCM format?. I believe Oppo uses something like converting the DSD signal to PCM to play SACD. It may be possible to record the PCM version of SACD after conversion but a true SACD to SACD is doubtful due to the encryption.

I cant make much out of their specs.

Regards.
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:39 pm

Oppo can output dsd directly if you play sacd.

Go to their options and select output either pcm or dsd.

With knowledge, you can copy a SACD into a blank 50 sen DVD and play in OPPO 83 or 95 as a SACD without quality loss as per original SACD.

No conversion to PCM at all.

(pls use it as an evaluation only, and if you like the material, buy the original).
VS126
VS126

Character sheet
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:54 pm

VS126,

I like your disclaimer on SACD copy Smile

And yes, Oppo player can output DSD.

My Oppo 95 however, does not produce 2 channel audio that good through my Yamaha AV amp. But I dont think its the player's fault. I think its mainly my Yamaha.

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:09 pm

Get it configured properly, and set it to pure audio.

This will cut off all unneccessary video interference.

Then set it to dsd output.

Talk nicely to ZeeBee and ask him to lend you his Analogue Productions "Wish You Were Here" Recordable SACD by Pink Floyd or other Recordable SACD in his possession. Or Jennifer Warnes or Norah Jones Analogue Productions Remaster.

Then listen again.

(I have no financial interest in OPPO, just a greatful owner of a used BDP-83).

Cheers.
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:22 pm

bal wrote:Ask Yap at octave in pj or our own Wikin here i'm sure they can tweak or mod it for you at a decent price so you have a front end that is not expensive but better than most cd players out there.

I have heard a few modded cd players, modded locally but our own home grown talents, and they beat anything out there for even up to 5 times the money.

Thanks for the referral Mr.Bal. Salutations to you too.

cheers
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Character sheet
Source(s): PC Audio
Amplification: Tri Amping Active
Speakers: High Eff Open Baffle

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:25 pm

andlee2k wrote:I am a bass freak, prefer hard hitting bass, am using a JBL Sub12 with front end Heybrook HB200 (the Rogers LS7 lookalike), that is using Elac aluminium dome tweeters (I found the sound or setup a bit bright) driven by a Yamaha RX-A 3010 av amp. The JVC is the XL-Z1050TN K2 CD player (old CD player might also be a bit bright?)

Whoa Andlee2k,
It seems that your JVC player is a diamond in the rough awaiting to be shaped and polished (modded)

http://lampizator.eu/lampizator/references/JVC%20XL-Z1050%20K2/Lampizator%20JVC%20K2%20%20XL-Z1050%20CD%20Player%20with%20XRCD%20dac.html

cheers
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:52 pm

VS126 wrote: With knowledge, you can copy a SACD into a blank 50 sen DVD and play in OPPO 83 or 95 as a SACD without quality loss as per original SACD. .
Is it possible to play these DVD copies of SACDs in a true native SACD players?
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by Avatar2882 Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:31 pm

Hai To All Sifus,
I am also looking for a blu ray player. Am considering Pioneer BDP450 or LX55 until this thread comes along. An option has surface in that I can add a Dac (theta?) to the Pioneer or go for the Oppo.
However, which way is best? I listen to music more i.e. sentimental mostly and instruments. I dont mind adele, dire straits, britney, kelly clarkson.
Appreciate if the sifus can provide some options in that which way is the better option or in terms of equipment brand and model for consideration.
Thank you in anticipation.

Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by andlee2k Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:09 am

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. My apology for I am usually not online during the weekend, therefore my silence. But since I am busy in the morning, I will continue and respond to all your suggestions when I am free later on, maybe before or after lunch. Once again thank you all for your thoughtfulness.

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by andlee2k Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:07 pm

]quote="bal"]Greetin's Master Jedi Andlee 2k.
Salutations, jubilations and a deep deep bow from the waist Japanese style to you. (ow, my poor old back, got to stop doing this too often Very Happy ).

May i offer a few suggestions. One is to use a DVD player as a transport, and get a decent out board DAC. The best sound i got in my system is thro an older 1st generation blu ray disc player as transport, and Buffalo II dac from the internet. For me that's it, my front end is complete.

Another option is to look for one of the older Pioneer dvd players, they were excellent transports. Ask Yap at octave in pj or our own Wikin here i'm sure they can tweak or mod it for you at a decent price so you have a front end that is not expensive but better than most cd players out there.

So go down the road less travelled, and you will get more bang for your buck that should keep you happy for a long long time. Once i used to think that i needed to save a lot of money to buy something like Krell or CEC but not anymore.

Bal. have a great weekend friends. [/quote]

Dear Bal,
Thank you. Did you have a great weekend too. Sorry for the silence as I am not usually online during the weekend. Spend quality time with family.

Actually, I have a DVD player that both have HDMI and coax output that can connect directly to the Yamaha av amps digital input. The Yammy (Yamaha in short) is using Burr-Brown DSD1796DBR chip for it's audio sections. In fact it have 7 burr-brown chips, link: http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/27095-help-me-choose-between-these-mega-monsters-10.html.

And the JVC also have both coax and optical out too. I've also tested it's digital out to the amp, and in the end prefers the analogue output of the JVC. The Pana(Panasonic DVD S-38) coax and hdmi out simply cannot compete. Too bright. Mind you, the Heybrook Elac alu (aluminium) tweeters are famed for too bright, so are a lot of metal tweeters, as far as my knowledge. The Yamaha have no issue with bad sound. In fact it can also be used with SACD direct, link: http://www.hdfever.fr/2011/12/12/test-yamaha-rx-a3010-aventage/#postTabs_ul_25501

Wikin did contact me. He suspected it may be the "lens" problem with the JVC. I replied and asked on the replacement cost. He also suggested I mod it with tube. I really hate the fuss having to take care of tubes, as you'll have to oil it regularly. I found out in may days working part-time for a hi-end hifi shop during further studies.

Thus I am actually looking for to get something on par with the JVC. If I did not remember wrongly, it received some class C or D Stereophile Recommended component when it came out about 20+ years ago. That's why I seek all the advise I can get from all the sifus here. My budget of course is about RM2-2.5k. Thank you all.

Last edited by andlee2k on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Change Font Color)

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by andlee2k Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:17 pm

kychoo99 wrote:
STC wrote:Hi,

Dear Andlee2k,

Yup, IMHO a decent transport with STC's Theta Dac would be an excellent upgrade - definitely a huge leap as compare to your original suggestion of a DVD player or CDP which cost more than RM2k. Especially so, if you are more towards some dynamic presentation which Theta is well known for. Suggest that u give it an audition. Happy exploring.

Dear kychoo99,
Thanks for the suggestion. But the JVC have an issue playing some of my favorite cds. Others it plays perfectly. And if I got a DAC, will not the problem remains? This despite sending to Hi-Way and they diagnosed some bloated transistors, and after repaired better but still some it refused to play and skips on some but all others plays perfectly without skipping, despite pumping the volume with the sub on high.

Any other solutions?

BTW, how muc the Theta DAC?

Thanks again

Last edited by andlee2k on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Font Color)

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by andlee2k Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:25 pm

I've been writing a long reply to Zeebee but suddenly this website somehow refreshed and now the long email body gone.

Dear Admin, anyway can make this site more stable, or user friendly, like allow us to be able to "save as draft" our half completed pre-posting?

It also happened to my reply to Bal, until I have to re-write the reply to him all over to him.

Thanks.

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by andlee2k Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:26 pm

It's quite frustrating.

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:34 pm

andlee2k wrote: I really hate the fuss having to take care of tubes, as you'll have to oil it regularly. I found out in may days working part-time for a hi-end hifi shop during further studies.

Hi andlee2k,
As I've PM you already and just to make sure that readers get the same information, the above is not true for preamp tubes (small tubes) which are used inside cd players that I mod. The preamp tubes are maintenance free. The only time you change them is when you purchase similar tubes to perform voicing of your system. Just like ICs and cables.

cheers.
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by andlee2k Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:17 pm

Wikin wrote:
andlee2k wrote: I really hate the fuss having to take care of tubes, as you'll have to oil it regularly. I found out in may days working part-time for a hi-end hifi shop during further studies.

Hi andlee2k,
As I've PM you already and just to make sure that readers get the same information, the above is not true for preamp tubes (small tubes) which are used inside cd players that I mod. The preamp tubes are maintenance free. The only time you change them is when you purchase similar tubes to perform voicing of your system. Just like ICs and cables.

cheers.

Thanks Wikin for clearing my misconception. That must be the integrated/power amps. But then that was about more than 15 years ago. Since then I've laid hands off tubes (that's just me). But maybe things changed now, as I read there are external tube buffers for to mellow down the harsh/bright sound of some CD systems. As for me, maybe due the misconception created then, I really have a paranoia about tubes. Like LPs. Thought a very long time ago, during my school days, I remember getting the free single LP of A-Ha, from my copy of What hifi mag, the song "The Sun Always shines on TV", and I would take it over to my uncle's place to play it. My cousin bought a complet Sansui or Akai hifi set. My brother would not let me use his DD (direct Drive) Sony turntable (look like the Technics 1200 Pro TT), I forgot which model, but both looked that big and bulky. The Sansui or Akai TT is like a small car in comparison. But years later, I found having the gently lift the tonearm, and place it on the pre-groove of the LP, actually having to eject it from the wax cover, after removing it from the hard paper cover, followed by the clicks and pops. Especially when the music rises, then comes the "pops" or the "clicks" Got my drift. Too troublesome. Turns me off all these.

Nah, not for "convenience" spoilt guy like me.Thanks.

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Hi Andlee2k,

My PM to you was about the SACD player. All items are available in the WTS section. Moderators may not like cross posting.

STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by andlee2k Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:35 pm

Thanks STC,

But forgive me for asking as I am new here. May I ask, what is Cross-Posting? Sorry moderators, this newby too new here. Your guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Andlee2k.

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:08 pm

STC wrote:
VS126 wrote: With knowledge, you can copy a SACD into a blank 50 sen DVD and play in OPPO 83 or 95 as a SACD without quality loss as per original SACD. .
[i]

STC,
I tried the SACD " DVD" copies on a Marantz SACD player an the new OPPO 105, the disc wasn't recognized but was playable on the 83 in the SACD Mode... Very Happy

Andlee2K,
Sorry I didn't get your reply/ enquiry but I was just commenting based on the topic of your post, I.e " can a DVD player be a CD player replacement..."
As per your preferences, the 83 can be a good player for you... Enjoy the music...

Cheers,

Zb

Last edited by zeebee on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:10 pm

Hi Andlee2k,

If I were to re-list my posting here that would be consider as cross posting as I already listed my item under the WTS section. I am not sure of Hifi4sale forum rules if they allow an exception for items to be re-listed in a different section as part of a discussion.

Regards,
ST

STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:17 pm

andlee2k wrote:But maybe things changed now, as I read there are external tube buffers for to mellow down the harsh/bright sound of some CD systems. As for me, maybe due the misconception created then, I really have a paranoia about tubes.

Yes there are tube buffers which does exactly what you've written. To me they are at best mid-fi quality, not hi-fi. Nevertheless even these mid-fi tube buffers are maintenance free.

These tube buffer tries to fix a fundamental problem with most cd player and solid state DAC's i.e. hard clinical sound. They are caused by the analog bickwall filter and all the opamps/ transistors shaping and amplifying the small signals directly after the digital-to-analog-converter chip found in the CDP and DAC.

What I do is, to cut off the trace, and tap the musical signal directly after the digital-to-analog-converter chip and use a high voltage tube stage to amplify it directly without any filter. The result is a very clear and musical sound being amplified out. Final voicing of the cdp/ dac depends on the user - using different tubes has different qualities whether you're chasing ultra details or more into highly musical sound while sacrificing some details.

cheers.
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:18 pm

zeebee wrote:
STC wrote:
[i]

STC,
I tried the SACD " DVD" copies on a Marantz SACD player an the new OPPO 105, the disc wasn't recognized but was playable on the 83...

Zb

I thought so. Players like Oppo or Foobar decodes the DSD format differently then the native SACD playback. The copy of DVD that you mentioned was exactly the same format that was played after decoding by the Oppo. It is very unlikely that the two should sound any different.

STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:20 pm

STC,
You can put a link to your ad...

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by andlee2k Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:36 pm

Wikin wrote:
andlee2k wrote:But maybe things changed now, as I read there are external tube buffers for to mellow down the harsh/bright sound of some CD systems. As for me, maybe due the misconception created then, I really have a paranoia about tubes.

Yes there are tube buffers which does exactly what you've written. To me they are at best mid-fi quality, not hi-fi. Nevertheless even these mid-fi tube buffers are maintenance free.

These tube buffer tries to fix a fundamental problem with most cd player and solid state DAC's i.e. hard clinical sound. They are caused by the analog bickwall filter and all the opamps/ transistors shaping and amplifying the small signals directly after the digital-to-analog-converter chip found in the CDP and DAC.

What I do is, to cut off the trace, and tap the musical signal directly after the digital-to-analog-converter chip and use a high voltage tube stage to amplify it directly without any filter. The result is a very clear and musical sound being amplified out. Final voicing of the cdp/ dac depends on the user - using different tubes has different qualities whether you're chasing ultra details or more into highly musical sound while sacrificing some details.

cheers.

Thanks Wikin,
Why not you solve the problem where the JVC skips on certain cds and refused to play other first, then I'll decide on whether to have to it modded with tubes.
Else if the problem is not solved, there is no point in modding it, as the problem remains.

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by andlee2k Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:38 pm

elhefe wrote:VS126,

My Oppo 95 however, does not produce 2 channel audio that good through my Yamaha AV amp. But I dont think its the player's fault. I think its mainly my Yamaha.

Dear Elhefe,
Can tell the model of your Yamaha AV Amp? Thanks.

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by andlee2k Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:46 pm

Wikin wrote:
andlee2k wrote:I am a bass freak, prefer hard hitting bass, am using a JBL Sub12 with front end Heybrook HB200 (the Rogers LS7 lookalike), that is using Elac aluminium dome tweeters (I found the sound or setup a bit bright) driven by a Yamaha RX-A 3010 av amp. The JVC is the XL-Z1050TN K2 CD player (old CD player might also be a bit bright?)

Whoa Andlee2k,
It seems that your JVC player is a diamond in the rough awaiting to be shaped and polished (modded)

http://lampizator.eu/lampizator/references/JVC%20XL-Z1050%20K2/Lampizator%20JVC%20K2%20%20XL-Z1050%20CD%20Player%20with%20XRCD%20dac.html

cheers

Dear Wikin,

I know the lampizator.eu site. There also another review of it here: http://www.highfidelityreview.com/jvc-xl-z1050tn.html.

If I am not wrong, it was also recommended under class C or D by Stereophile review not long after it was released or in prototype form. Maybe I still have that mag, but then it's shelved and is back in my hometown.

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by andlee2k Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:03 pm

zeebee wrote:
andlee2k wrote:Need the advise of all the sifus here.

The CMY sales person recommended me to go for the Oppo 93 as for a few hundred more, I get a much better player with BD ..The high end CD player for the Oppo is the 95.

I am a bass freak, prefer hard hitting bass, am using a JBL Sub12 with front end Heybrook HB200 (the Rogers LS7 ... certainly would appreciate all the advise I can get, especially from all you sifus here. Thank you all in advance.

Bro, I recently sold off an OPPO 83 replaced by an 105... If u r a bass freak, consider the 83... The 105 sounds lean compared with the 83 and it's a BD player to boot.. Lots selling on Audiogon for about

Dear Zeebee,
Thanks for your suggestions. But:

1. The CMY guy is recommending the 93 to me, not the 83. Or are you telling me the 83 is better than the 93, as in your experience with the 83 and 105 where the latest top end model sounds light weight?

2. Please can you pass me the contact for Peter Seow. Thanks.

3.Are you in anyway familiar with the sound of the BD93?

Actually I find it baffling as the latest model, the 105, is supposed to have the latest audio chip, and thus it's supposed to give the best sound, as opposed to the older, and this one the lesser model. But this is not always true as what you have experienced. Even a lot of the latest release of other reputable brands, this still holds true. The latest top model is not always better.

Also, better not write long here, else a sudden refresh of the web engine = all my lengthy writing goes poof again.

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:41 pm

elhefe wrote:STC,

Thanks elhefe. I think it would be unwise to promote my goods here. I think andlee's JVC is worth repairing.
Regards,
ST
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:11 pm

STC wrote:
I think andlee's JVC is worth repairing.
Regards,
ST

Our friend here seems to be unconvinced of the tube stage, so I'm actually offering to buy-off this limping diamond in the rough player Laughing

Actually I've heard this player many many years ago - if not mistaken it was one of the 1st few cd players by JVC. In stock form there's actually no magic in the sound. I didn't realize Mr. Lampizator did the mods and found it to be a giant slayer so I'm really intrigued.

cheers
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by andlee2k Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:19 am

Dear Wikin,

No, it's not I am not "unconvinced" by the tubes. I actually said to have the issues like "cannot play certain CDs, and skips on some" to be resolved first. Else even if modded with tubes, what's the point if the old issues are still there.

Then I must admit some are also very old Cds and some badly scratched. The newer one like MC are much thinner, and maybe the TFF 2+1 CD set, the other one is bad production. I believe a lot of older cd players also cannot play badly scratched or some badly produced cds. Over my years of cd collections, some bought few years only, the inside silver layer can become badly wrapped. And they touted Cds are forever.

But of course the newer CD players have much better error corrections and other technologies that overcome these problems.

Also, the JVC is not a limping CD Players. I have over a hundred Cds where the JVC plays perfectly, without any issues, some very old Abba original Cds and some Chinese ones from Hong Kong. Even my TChaokivsky 1812, Telarc, the cannons shots just came and came, and althoug I've used a 12" sub, the cd playback was never interrupted. Mind you, those are "heart" hitting bass. The JVC never limped when playing bass heavy Cds like MJ, Beyond and all my collections of bass heavy songs.

Also about the sound, even the Lampizator guy said:
This is one of the most interesting players of all times. What is intriguing, that it has one of the BEST pre-lampization sound of all players I tried in 2006.

-http://lampizator.eu/lampizator/references/JVC%20XL-Z1050%20K2/Lampizator%20JVC%20K2%20%20XL-Z1050%20CD%20Player%20with%20XRCD%20dac.html.

Of course the K2 technology is used in JVC's mastering of their XRCD audiophile CDS, and that chip is genuine JVC tech. It's not bought or OEMed from any other co. like Sanyo or Sony.

It also won a "Recommended" status from Stereophile in either prototype form or after production release. Even it's built quality is exceptional. at about 7-8 kgs in weight.

If the Lampizator guy, Lukasz Fikus remarked that this an "intriguing" player and
has one of the BEST pre-lampization sound of all players I tried in 2006, do you think there is no "Magic" in the sound?

Hmmm, makes me wonder!!!

Thanks anyway for your frank evaluation and sharing on your experience on the JVC player sound.

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by andlee2k Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:37 am

Dear Wikin,

Also, thanks for you offer to buy the JVC.

Firstly, I don't think I want to sell this "gem" yet as it play perfectly without skipping, bar a few cds.

2. You offer is by far extremely very much too low for a High End top CD player that even a few Stereophile guys are using it at the time it was release. Even when you Google this player, you can find a lot of reference to this player that is quite a high end player when released.

For what you offered I don't think I can buy equipment at all, even in the used section here.

But anyway, thanks for the offer and you kind help.

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:35 am

andlee2k wrote:
elhefe wrote:VS126,

Dear Elhefe,
Can tell the model of your Yamaha AV Amp? Thanks.

Dear andlee2k,

Mine is RXV 2067.

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:40 am

STC wrote:
elhefe wrote:STC,

Thanks elhefe. I think it would be unwise to promote my goods here. I think andlee's JVC is worth repairing.
Regards,
ST

No problem, just clearing the air that you can put a link...the forum is hifi4sale hehehe Smile

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by chin66 Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:16 pm

And the JVC also have both coax and optical out too. I've also tested it's digital out to the amp, and in the end prefers the analogue output of the JVC. The Pana(Panasonic DVD S-38) coax and hdmi out simply cannot compete. Too bright.
Hi Andlee2k,

Jz to share my experience. I too have the Pana DVD S-38 and previously had connected it thru the analogue output via IC to my AVR. I then compared the sound quality against my Marantz CD-63 (before mod). I find that the Pana is quite a terrific CD player as the SQ is clear and detailed. The only area i find that it loses out to my pre-mod Marantz was the lack of musicality as it sounded clinical (or should it be called 'drier' Question). You should try the analog output, maybe you may like sound.

I am now using the Pana as my secondary CD system in my bedroom. So on this topic, I would say definately a DVD player can be a good substitute for a CDP (and at a bargain price too considering I bought it at a leading hypermarket during their promotion....below RM100 Razz)

Of course now if I were to compare it with my modded Marantz (done by our fellow Wikin), it is worlds apart. That's another story for another day ...he he he:lol:
chin66
chin66
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2012-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:54 pm

Sharing my current experience on CD playback.
What I used to have? Rotel RCD971 digi out to a Audiolab DAC in case I want a different SQ or chasing higher realm of SQ.
Now what I use? Someone gave me a discarded/somewhat spoiled Philips DVP 5500S. I bought the ori remote, RM30, repaired it at Philips RM75 to replace the whole front panel which all buttons went inoperable.. later on spent a few bucks modding it with better caps and change opamp to something more decent. The resultant SQ seemed better than stock version. I decided that it become my mainstay, with ordinary and decent interconnect cables, moreover NO FUSS CDP. It'll play everything even SACD HiRes because its incorporated in its design. I don't want to chase higher SQ anymore. CD is CD, still 16bit music and most won't be as vivid as the LP version which I may have.
Since I'm no more chasing higher and higher realms of sonic quality or want to be among the Jones..Nope!..forget it lah.. my vinyl rig offer me a more interesting and enjoyable entertainment.
So CD playback takes a back seat and less priority..meaning the old, dated, play anything Philips DVD player is now the resident CDP machine. I just resist any temptation for some mid to hi-end CDP machine.
Should it kaput for any reason, I can throw it away, not regret or shed tears that some very expensive CDP just turned into another expensive brick or expensive repairs.
Just me being prudent and practical nowadays as age catch up.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by andlee2k Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:04 pm

chin66 wrote:
And the JVC also have both coax and optical out too. I've also tested it's digital out to the amp, and in the end prefers the analogue output of the JVC. The Pana(Panasonic DVD S-38) coax and hdmi out simply cannot compete. Too bright.
Hi Andlee2k,

Jz to share my experience. I too have the Pana DVD S-38 and previously had connected it thru the analogue output via IC to my AVR. I then compared the sound quality against my Marantz CD-63 (before mod). I find that the Pana is quite a terrific CD player as the SQ is clear and detailed. The only area i find that it loses out to my pre-mod Marantz was the lack of musicality as it sounded clinical (or should it be called 'drier' Question). You should try the analog output, maybe you may like sound.

I am now using the Pana as my secondary CD system in my bedroom. So on this topic, I would say definately a DVD player can be a good substitute for a CDP (and at a bargain price too considering I bought it at a leading hypermarket during their promotion....below RM100 Razz)

Of course now if I were to compare it with my modded Marantz (done by our fellow Wikin), it is worlds apart. That's another story for another day ...he he he:lol:

Dear Chin66,

Hmmm, interesting. I've always wanted to test it's analogue out. I bought it mainly due it's built-in dac for both video and audio. But thru HDMI, it sounds bright. Maybe the AV amps setting, or even the cables used. I've once configured the systems to be super smooth, this quite complicated amp as have Q setting, Freq setting and Band Gain settings, where the vocal and instruments just stayed when you kept increasing the volume. Of course the soundstage got bigger, and the bass hit harder as well as your heartbeat. My tweaker brain won't rest as that's manual settings, so I ran YPAO again and everything changed. Now there's a slight top edge to the sound, what you called "bright sound". I could not remember what I set earlier despite changing the settings again and again.

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:30 pm

cmboy wrote:Sharing my current experience on CD playback.
What I used to have? Rotel RCD971 digi out to a Audiolab DAC in case I want a different SQ or chasing higher realm of SQ.
Now what I use? Someone gave me a discarded/somewhat spoiled Philips DVP 5500S. I bought the ori remote, RM30, repaired it at Philips RM75 to replace the whole front panel which all buttons went inoperable.. later on spent a few bucks modding it with better caps and change opamp to something more decent. The resultant SQ seemed better than stock version. I decided that it become my mainstay, with ordinary and decent interconnect cables, moreover NO FUSS CDP. It'll play everything even SACD HiRes because its incorporated in its design. I don't want to chase higher SQ anymore. CD is CD, still 16bit music and most won't be as vivid as the LP version which I may have.
Since I'm no more chasing higher and higher realms of sonic quality or want to be among the Jones..Nope!..forget it lah.. my vinyl rig offer me a more interesting and enjoyable entertainment.
So CD playback takes a back seat and less priority..meaning the old, dated, play anything Philips DVD player is now the resident CDP machine. I just resist any temptation for some mid to hi-end CDP machine.
Should it kaput for any reason, I can throw it away, not regret or shed tears that some very expensive CDP just turned into another expensive brick or expensive repairs.
Just me being prudent and practical nowadays as age catch up.

Where is the LIKE button in this forum? Very Happy

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by andlee2k Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:49 pm

Ha, why my long reply to CMboy kena potong again. My, my, why so bad HF4S?

Thought I presse the Send button already? What's wrong?

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:11 pm

andlee2k wrote:Ha, why my long reply to CMboy kena potong again.

Reply to me?..Hope I didn't offend anyone. I was merely sharing what I have and use now. Shocked

Instead of "LIKE" button.. maybe should also have "DESPISE" button? (incase no-one like what I shared)! Shocked
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks for all the exchanges and PM guys.

Clearly we do have a divergence of interest.

Some like cdp for the good sound and convenience,

some like a dvdp/BR due to its multitasking abilities with good sound

some like LPs due to the musical abilities.

End of the day, enjoy the music lah...

cheers
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:52 pm

andlee2k wrote:Ha, why my long reply to CMboy kena potong again. My, my, why so bad HF4S?

Thought I presse the Send button already? What's wrong?

Not sure whats happening there on your laptop/PC/tablet... but for the time being, may I suggest you type your reply on word/text editor and copy and paste it here after you completed the reply. especially if its a long reply.

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by andlee2k Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:00 am

Dear Elhefe and All Moderators,

Anyone know what is "The Maximum Word Length" allowed for every posting here.

Thanks.

andlee2k
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next