Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Recommended speaker for budget below Rm4000

Go down

Recommended speaker for budget below Rm4000 Empty Recommended speaker for budget below Rm4000

Post by Opera on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:21 pm

Hi, any recommendation for speakers below RM4000?

mostly listen to vocal and pop.

Thanks.

Opera
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Recommended speaker for budget below Rm4000 Empty Re: Recommended speaker for budget below Rm4000

Post by travellersolo on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:47 pm

New or vintage? For vocal, Harbeth is almost superb for vocal but very pricey, used units barely sold below 4k. For vintage, JBL, Klipsch, Altec and the like, if  could be found, would blow many modern speakers out of the water and then some. Within the past two years I have bought Klipsch KG4 (rm1200) and JBL L110 (rm3500), both more than 30 years in age, no modern speakers in their price ranges can come close in SQ, will never sell them away!

travellersolo
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-02-21

Back to top Go down

Recommended speaker for budget below Rm4000 Empty Re: Recommended speaker for budget below Rm4000

Post by gkt on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:10 am

Hi,

Synergy and room size are also very important. 

Perhaps share the rest of your equipment chain so the more experienced members here can chime in.

Bookshelves or Floorstands?

Purely based on your criteria of pricing alone, for bookshelves you can consider used speakers such as the Proac Tablette series, KEF LS50, Sonus Faber Concerto.

For floorstands maybe a pair of used Totem Hawk, B&W CDM7
gkt
gkt
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2013-11-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Densen B475, Goldmund Mimesis 12 DAC
Amplification: Clarity Audio Mono Pre and Power
Speakers: Acustik Lab Bolero Grande

Back to top Go down

Post by Opera on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Looking for bookshelf speaker and using EL34 tubeamp.

Opera
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by gkt on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:54 pm

Try the Proac Ref 8 or Ref 8 Signature if you can find a pair.
gkt
gkt
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Opera on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi gkt,
What is the price range for a used unit?

Opera
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by gkt on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi, I sold my pristine pair of ref 8 sigs for rm4.2k maybe less than a year back. Not sure what the price level is now.

Ref 8 should be a bit cheaper.
gkt
gkt
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by HIFI Illiterate on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:25 pm

Hi, you can check out our custom build speaker as well.

http://www.hifi4sale.net/t60600-acoustic-dynamics-custom-build-speakers

Or visit our facebook page at Acoustic Dynamics

HIFI Illiterate
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 445
Registration date : 2013-02-17

Character sheet
Source(s): Laptop with DAC
Amplification: Luxman Pre Power
Speakers: AcDynamics 3 Way Coaxial

https://www.facebook.com/acdynamics/

Back to top Go down

Post by Anwar on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:39 am

Opera wrote:Looking for bookshelf speaker and using EL34 tubeamp.

I highly recommend KEF LS50
Anwar
Anwar
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-01-08

Character sheet
Source(s): Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, Sony HAP-Z1ES, TW Raven Two + TW 10.5 with Benz LP-S + Triplanar VII with Quintet Black, Audio Research REF Phono 2SE
Amplification: Bent Audio silver slagleformer preamp, Bryston 10B-SUB, McIntosh MC452 for front, MC303 for center and rear
Speakers: Focal Diablo Utopia 3 for LCR, Focal IW 1002 Be for rear, 2 x JL Audio Fathom f113 subs

Back to top Go down

Post by vt4c on Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:57 am

Anwar wrote:
I highly recommend KEF LS50

I would second Anwar's recommendation.
vt4c
vt4c
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Opera on Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:23 pm

How about Harbeth P3esr?

Opera
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Anwar on Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:55 pm

When you have limited budget, you don't want to buy a product which is made in an expensive country, i.e. Harbeth speakers are made in UK whereas KEF LS50 is designed in UK and made in China but with good quality control.  That's why the KEF LS50 is a steal and rated Stereophile Class A speaker, but it needs good amplifier.

But I think in Malaysia, Harbeth is priced very low.  If both speakers are within your budget, go and listen to them, then select one you like.
Anwar
Anwar
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-01-08

Character sheet
Source(s): Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, Sony HAP-Z1ES, TW Raven Two + TW 10.5 with Benz LP-S + Triplanar VII with Quintet Black, Audio Research REF Phono 2SE
Amplification: Bent Audio silver slagleformer preamp, Bryston 10B-SUB, McIntosh MC452 for front, MC303 for center and rear
Speakers: Focal Diablo Utopia 3 for LCR, Focal IW 1002 Be for rear, 2 x JL Audio Fathom f113 subs

Back to top Go down

Post by Charles B&W TEG on Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:36 pm

Would you consider the new B&W 606? 

606 speaker in the new 600 Series from Bowers & Wilkins allows you to transform your space with pristine sound. Featuring Continuum™️ cone technology, developed for our award-winning 800 Series Diamond, it creates a pure and precise soundscape for you to enjoy. Developed over an eight-year period and first featured on our flagship 800 Series Diamond models, the Continuum cone has been integrated into the sixth generation of the critically acclaimed 600 Series.

"They're upbeat and energetic, deliver punchy, solid bass and offer class-leading levels of details and dynamics." - WHAT HI-FI?

Audition is available at B&W Showroom Lot S-207, 2nd Floor, The Gardens Midvalley City. Please drop by and have a listen. Thank you.

Charles B&W TEG

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2019-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by samazzah on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:28 pm

IMHO please not another Harbeth recommendation. I owned nearly every Harbeth model even the monitor models bar the 3 way models - just too big. And that was more than 10 years ago. In my opinion, Harbeth speakers had a ‘tailored’ sound (depressed mids) and they still stick to metal tweeters that are peaky. The bass was diificult to control unless you had an amp that had high damping properties.
Speaker technology has moved on and don’t refer nor remain with legacy brands. 
Try any modern brand like Elac or Monitor Audio for example - there are lots of brands to try - make sure they are easy to drive and have good imaging properties.
samazzah
samazzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Character sheet
Source(s): CA network streamer/Michell Gyro/OL Conqueror/ VDH Frog
Amplification: none -
Speakers: AVI ADM 40 actives

Back to top Go down

Post by WillT on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:16 pm

Last post on this thread was like a year ago la. I think OP would have purchased something by now ... hehehe ...

As for metal dome tweeters, the highly acclaimed KEF LS50 is using metal dome tweeter la. There are still top brands using it.

Metal or fabric, what matters is the design of the speaker and the implementation of technology. To quote a reknowned website.

The Harbeth is not a legacy brand. It’s still very relevant today. Recent reviews, over the last couple of years, still rate them highly. But they are not the be all and end all for speakers.
WillT
WillT
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2018-11-22

Character sheet
Source(s): Cambridge Audio CXC & Chord Qutest
Amplification: Cary Audio SLP-05 & Audia Flight FLS 10
Speakers: Marten Duke 2

Back to top Go down

Post by samazzah on Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:19 am

Hehe, I knew my post would result in a response from die hard Harbeth fans. My apologies.
Firstly, speakers are built to a budget and remaining with metal (aluminium) dome tweeters are a rip off (read ‘cheap’). The aim of speakers components is to make it lighter yet rigid - fabric dome and better still beryllium are lightest and rigid at high frequencies. In comparison aluminium is heavy
The latest trends for speakers are hugely improved crossover components (poly caps, air cored inductors, high precision resistors, etc), rigid cabinets (not thin wall bbc type cabinets), narrower front profile cabinets and decoupled drive units. Even the stands matter - try putting your bookshelf speakers on  a pair of q acoustics concept 20 stands and listen. Beg, borrow or steal a pair of those stands - they are worth it.
The current trend now are copper shorting rings on speaker drivers (woofer and tweeters) to reduce eddy  currents in the electromagnetic circuit - look for it.
Any other speaker  boasting other than the above is really fiddling about with old technology and cheating the public IMO and where does that leave Harbeth? I could go on but that would take a whole page.
samazzah
samazzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Character sheet
Source(s): CA network streamer/Michell Gyro/OL Conqueror/ VDH Frog
Amplification: none -
Speakers: AVI ADM 40 actives

Back to top Go down

Post by scwong on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:12 am

I am using a pair of JBL 4312m mk2 mini monitors.  As usual with most JBL speakers, they use their very own titanium tweeter which is well designed and implemented.

I have tried several speakers over the years such as quad 12, atc scm 11, proac tab 3 and a brief home demo on harbeth p3es.

I find that the JBL is not bad.  These speakers are specifically built for the Japanese market and I guess there is something to it.  You may want to find out how Japanese appreciate their music.

scwong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s): cd format
Amplification: pre/pwr
Speakers: bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by WillT on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:40 am

Your JBL dun talk la. Those are really nice speakers. I would love a set if I had the space. They got that satu macam sound which is nice if one appreciates it.

The P3ESR will not be able to match your JBLs, if want to go near it will need a sub at the very least.

Match them with a SET amp and I’m sure it will be very sweet sounding.
WillT
WillT
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2018-11-22

Character sheet
Source(s): Cambridge Audio CXC & Chord Qutest
Amplification: Cary Audio SLP-05 & Audia Flight FLS 10
Speakers: Marten Duke 2

Back to top Go down

Post by travellersolo on Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:04 pm

Yeah the OP might have bought his speakers by now, but since this post is still live, so why not? No body mentioned Spendor, but this is really a hidden gem. I bought Spendor SP1/2 used last year. Before that I thought Harbeth is the only UK speaker brand worth going to, but, I had a chance to listen to P3ESR and C7es3, and Spendor SP1/2 in the same house, using all the same set up, including cables and the stands. The space is a dedicated listening room, with proper sound treatment, power amp used were McIntosh MC30 mono blocs. While the Harbeths as usual present excellent mids, the Spendors came out to be the most comfortable pair to me, and I bought them right away. 

I would also like to speak for the British thin-wall design, which many scoff at. I was, at one time, not even considering any British speakers. Until I heard those Spendors—my jaw dropped. Here is an excerpt from https://classicalcompass.blogspot.com/2017/03/bbc-calling-spendor-vs-harbeth.html :

"Thick wall – I mean really thick – is a dead materia. Impossible to move. But the energy of the resonance peaks still exists and wants to shake something. Anything. The only area what can be vibrated now is the driver’s membrane – should I explain the wrong effects? "

Another read:
http://www.electrafidelity.com/spendor-12-by-hr/  

I still like my Klipsch and JBLs, but it is the Spendor that stole my heart for the past two years.

Those who haven't really heard Spendor (any model, but especially those classic ones), at least should audition once before making a quick verdict.

travellersolo
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Zul Rayman on Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:31 pm

Recommended speaker for budget below Rm4000 15537010
Yamaha NS 690 MKII, in good working condition. Take home for 2.8K only. Wasap me Zul 0162494684 for further details Smile

Zul Rayman

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Zul Rayman on Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:34 pm

Recommended speaker for budget below Rm4000 15537011

Zul Rayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Zul Rayman on Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:36 pm

Or maybe a good fullrange triaxial floorstand? Loth X ambience a steal for just RM1.8K
Wasap me Zul 0162494684 👌🏻

Zul Rayman

Back to top Go down