Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones

Go down

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones Empty Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones

Post by stylelaser.com.my Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones Brand New. Now Selling At RM1,319. Free Shipping Within West Malaysia.

Please visit [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] find out more products for sale at very special price...

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones Es_1_112      Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones Es_216

B5

5.25-inch Aramid-Fiber Bookshelf Speaker 

Does the Debut B5 change the game for bookshelf speakers? Absolutely. It’s not just its size-to-performance ratio that sets a new standard. The B5 may be the best value in the world of affordable speakers, with sound that surpasses speakers costing many times more.
Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones ?format=750w

A family of performers.

Every Debut loudspeaker system establishes a value proposition—with build quality and spectacular performance—that goes beyond every other speaker in its class.
ELAC’s chief engineer Andrew Jones explains how Debut speakers break new ground:
“The ELAC Debut series delivers superior performance thanks to custom made key components, with no off-the-shelf parts. Unlike many more expensive speakers that mix parts-bin drivers, bare-bones crossovers and generic cabinets—every ELAC speaker is built from a clean-sheet design.”

PRODUCT DETAILS

Silk-dome tweeter with deep-spheroid custom waveguide

The waveguide surrounding the new ELAC high-frequency driver features a custom, deep spheroid profile to improve directivity control and shield the dome tweeter from cabinet diffraction modes inherent in traditional box enclosures.

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones LINE_DEBUT_woofer-1500x1180

Custom-designed woofer with aramid-fiber cone

Aramid fiber is employed in the woofers of all ELAC Debut passive speaker systems. Aramid fiber offers a superior strength-to-weight ratio and improved damping characteristics over conventional paper or plastic drivers. This added strength means arriving at designs that achieve a broader bandwidth with smoother response.

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones LINE_DEBUT_tweeter-1500x1180

Intricate crossovers

A custom multi-element crossover with high-grade components in each speaker ensures smooth transition between the drivers.

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones LINE_DEBUT_intricate_crossovers-1500x1180

Robust cabinets

Every ELAC enclosure is engineered for the long run with thick MDF outer walls and a luxurious textured vinyl finish. The cabinets of the floorstanders and the center channel incorporate specially designed internal bracing to add stiffness and strength to the cabinet’s outer walls. This bracing greatly reduces cabinet vibration, which causes unwanted coloration to the sound. ELAC believes that the only parts of a speaker that should be moving are the speaker drivers themselves.

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones 935d6bc7-f90b-4d70-b9d6-a503916a1f47.jpg._CB313361216_

Superior build quality

Count the parts and look at them closely. These don’t look like the components that go in such competitively priced speakers, but rather, speakers that cost much more.

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones Es_510      Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones Es_ela10

ELAC B5 Debut Series 5.25" Bookshelf Speakers by Andrew Jones
Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones SirJones
Andrew Jones, the messiah of budget audio. He will deliver us from the old testament hell of bad speakers to the promised land of ELAC America. 

One of my favorite people in the industry, Andrew Jones, who is rumored to be both a doctor, as well as knighted by at least one of the crowns of Europe has switched teams. Jones is jumping ship from Pioneer after it attempted to sell him into indentured servitude in a merger with Onkyo, and is now batting for the Germans at ELAC America. 

In a strange intellectual property situation Jones has been able to keep his name, but his signature is forever property of Pioneer electronics. Other than that the transition appears to be going smoothly with a full line of entry level speakers from ELAC hitting the market just months after Jones got started. This ELAC B5 speaker I'm reviewing is the lowest price bookshelf speaker of the group known as the debut series.

Grill:

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones ELAC_B5_Tweeter_Grill-2
As with all Andrew Jones speakers, we start with the grill... Jones loves the grills, but they don't love him back. 

On this latest series of speakers we have multiple layers of grill to make sure that all high frequency information is completely smothered in cloth, plastic, metal and some type of what I can only assume to be powder coating.

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones ELAC_B5_Assembly
The explanation for all of this protection is these speakers are supposedly going to be in a showroom somewhere, and an idiot will try to touch the "magic sound buttons" ruining the speakers. Well, as far as I can tell the Debut Series are only going out through Amazon and being preordered direct from ELAC, so all the grilling seems much ado about nothing.
Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones ELAC_B5_Tweeter_Grill
"Dome tweeters are so fragile and yet so powerful" - Sir. Andrew Jones

Tweeter:

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones ELAC_B5_Tweeter
Paper clip folding and light prying got the grill off the tweeters with only minimal effort. Without the grills the speaker is very elegant, but the tweeter driver, thanks to the horn loading and slimy coating, looks like a creepy dead eye from a fish that's been out in the sun too long.

Woofer:

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones ELAC_B5_Woofer
Dr. Jones keeps telling people that this is some kind of aramid fiber, which I think is a paper made from rare New Zealand bird pelts. I'm not sure what he is on about, the cone looks like carbon fiber to me. One thing I know for sure is that the inverted dust cap was specifically inverted to avoid touchy-touchy people denting the cones. I think it's retarded, and you can't convince me that it wouldn't sound better with a standard dust cap. 

Other useful specifications about the woofer are that it uses a big voice coil, inch and one half from what I recall. This is to help with power handling and venting as there is a larger than average hole for the space behind the dust cap to vent to the cabinet as the cone flaps around. 

The driver looks pretty nice, and I think outside of the dust cap it's very good reminding me of something I would see from a company like Morel.

Crossover:

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones ELAC_B5_Crossover
Here is the crossover for the speaker. According to the documentation on the side of the box it's supposed to crossover the drivers at 3,000Hz. 

Take note of the cabinet construction, it's not very thick and has the same Chinese cardboard texture found in only the cheapest MDF. Also, there are no braces inside of the box. knuckle wrap sounds alright with the thick vinyl coating on the outside doing some damping.

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones ELAC_B5_Crossover-2
The crossover has one iron core inductor, two air core, and a pair of poly caps and a pair of wire wound resistors. If I had to guess I would say this is a 2nd order crossover with some baffle step and level matching of the tweeter.

Port:

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones ELAC_B5_Port
Branded port, you know these guys mean business. This port looks okay, and sits on the back of the speaker. Also, look at that textured vinyl coating on the speaker, this texture looks sharp and feel sleek as well.

Terminals:

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones ELAC_B5_Terminals
The B5's terminals are probably the nicest of any speaker I've owned. I shit you not. The terminal is flush mounted, and these binding posts are sculpted like nothing I've seen before. Problem is they don't actually make it very easy to tighten down the connection, but they work out just fine if you fiddle enough. Check out the 18AWG wire, I'm going all out with the budget theme.

Living room Setup:

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones ELAC_B5_Living_Room
The B5's are happy to sit on top of my subwoofers, which will be only operating as stands for listening. Instead of pulling my whole system apart to test the ELAC B5's, I grabbed a real budget amp the SMSL SA-50 and my phone as a source and made a quick hook up to see how cheap you can go to get good sound. 

Well, the SA-50 could not cut it. The resulting sound was less than good when I tried to get even a little bit loud. I think the 4 ohm load and my expectations were just too much for the little amp. I swapped in an old Kinergetics Class-A amp which is good for 150wpc into 4 ohms, and things improved dramatically. 

While it's not entirely realistic to assume purchasers of these budget speakers will have quality amps laying around, I think the SA-50 just did not have enough grunt to it. Cheap class D amps are notorious for overrating their power, so while it says 50wpc on the box it's probably done by 20 watts... which is plenty for many situations, it's just not enough to test the limits of the ELAC B5. The 2 channel integrated amp ELAC plans to sell alongside the Debut Series speakers is a 100wpc BASH amp that will probably do the job just fine.

Living room impressions

One thing I noticed when going through the photos from shows is that these speakers are never presented on axis to the public. They are always on stands that are too short, the tweeter on the floor stander is less than 3 feet high. I've got the B5's on stands putting the speakers about an inch taller than that of the floor stander, so it should be close to recommended. 

If I bend down to listen on axis things get odd - it seems as though the direct sound has no relation to the sound you hear anywhere else in the room. 

The placement here is not very close to the rear wall, but the bass response was a little overwhelming to the rest of the music. The room sound is even coverage of thick bass and lower midrange, with the upper midrange/lower treble almost absent, but a sparkle in the treble makes it sound a little more balanced. In contrast the on axis sound is maybe flat, it's hard to tell, it's a sea change from the other 95% of the room. I'd love to see the polar response of this speaker, it's got some strange things going on. 

I end up trying both with and without the tweeter grill, and preferred the tweeter grill on when sitting in the listening position. 

After attempting to dissect the sound I settled in to my normal listening position and gave a few tracks a good relaxed listen. Imaging is great, realistically sized performers, even with the speaker being low I can hear the performers singing from a standing position. Nice wide sweet spot, very comfortable as you don't feel locked into one position. 

The upper midrange/low treble response is recessed which gives an overly smooth sound, but also makes it hard to hear some of the performance as it gets smothered in bass. Bass response is very clean up and even to the point where it's either missing or not getting any louder. 

The B5 speakers do not get loud... they just don't put out enough sound in 4k-8k range to trigger that sensation of loud. I pulled out the SPL meter and was putting out 97dB of music on the couch and it felt more like a small breeze instead of the hurricane of sound I would normally get at 97dB. 

Bend over slightly and there is a blasting sensation as you enter the on axis zone at volume. These speakers are very odd. 

The woofers seem to be more than happy to try and over extend while attempting to play deep bass. Not sure there is enough of an air spring to keep these things alive in a party situation, it would probably be a good idea to have a sub sonic filter on these speakers if you are not going to cross them over to a subwoofer.

Desktop Setup:

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones ELAC_B5_Desktop
For desktop testing and measuring I set the speakers up in my office running off of my used Onkyo home theater receiver, a HT-R520 which is fed by my computer via a toslink optical connection. 

This is a true near field setup, where I can touch both speakers at the same time with my finger tips.

Desktop impressions:

In the horizontal axis of the speaker, but listening with almost no toe in from arms length away is a completely different sound. While this may seem redundant to say, usually with speakers you get only the direct sound and variations of bad placement. Here it seems you get two speakers for the price of one. 

Initially I listened for a few hours with the tweeter grills in place and things sounded bad. This is not as big a deal when the speakers are further way, but this close the grills were a big problem. 

After removing the grills I immediately hear the waveguide doing what it's supposed to do, projecting the sound out. This tweeter is light years ahead of the ones on the Pioneer BS-22. 

In contrast to the roasted marshmallow sound of the living room, the ELAC B5 speakers sound pretty damn flat now. The bass below 80Hz sounds rolled off, but they play down to 50Hz fairly well although it's not really "there" unless you crank on the volume a good bit. 

Treble is good, but forward. No problems hearing things now, it's all there. Also they get fucking loud from this position - 110dB is there if you want it. 

I can hear something coming from the woofer that is strange. It's something in the fundamental frequency range, it's too low for cone break up on a speaker this size, but too high to much else. 

I couldn't put my finger on it, and I let it bother me trying to find a song that exemplified the error, but after a couple of hours of listening really hard I have yet to find anything that really nails the issue down. 

Here is my best guess of what I'm hearing -- it's the treble response of the woofer, this is where the inverted dust cap decision comes calling. 

The dispersion of the lower treble the woofer is being asked to do with the somewhat high crossover point for the driver spacing and 2nd order slope the treble is bouncing around the woofer cone in a way that is unfamiliar to me. 

Now I've got an answer to my question I can get back to enjoyable listening, and the speakers are sounding very good.

Let's take some measurements:

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones ELAC_B5_Grill_Measurement
The blue line is a measurement of the naked speaker, red being a completely covered speaker, with the other two measurements being variations of covered. 

Note the top octave is all hosed up from the extreme horn loading on the dome tweeter. 

The standard grill giving a full body 1-2dB smother from 2k on up, and the tweeter grill is limited to about 11k on up.. but I found subjectively it messed with the sound a lot more than is indicated in this graph.

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones ELAC_B5_Horn_Measurement
Close mic measurements of the tweeter show the horn flare up starts around 8k(1.7 inches), which if I had to guess is the distance from the voice coil to the edge of the waveguide. This is noticeable with near field listening, and will bother some people. Upper octave response on all of the measurements really takes a dive after 13k. This is just barely noticeable near field, and not at all a thing to be concerned with in a living room setting.
Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones ELAC_B5_Driver_Measurement
Close driver measurements with a RTA shows a little bit of port leakage centered around 1k, but it's 15dB below the port output and plugging the port did not show any changes in the on axis midrange response.
Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones ELAC_B5_Frequency_Response
This response looks very good, +-2dB for all of the important parts I can measure reliably(700Hz and up). The dip centered at 900Hz appears to be a reflection from the stand I had the speaker on because it does not show up in other measurements including the close driver results as seen above. Below 700Hz we can see the mess my room makes of the speaker, but it does give us an idea of the bass extention. We can see here it's comfortably down the 50Hz, while the close driver measurement of the port above shows it putting out good bass to 40Hz. 

DSP Correction:

The speaker has quirks, but nothing is directly correctable via DSP. We are talking about horn effect that reaches into the audible territory, crossover point being a little high for the driver spacing, and dispersion of the woofer not dispersing enough. Going and dicking with the frequency response is not going to fix any of these fundamental conditions.

Final thoughts:

The ELAC B5 speakers perform in a living room setting. While they don't do everything by the book they play music in an engaging, entertaining, none offensive way. Not only do the B5's do the job, they do more than is expected and play low enough cleanly that a subwoofer is truly optional. 

That being said, the B5 speakers work on a desktop, but it's not as clear cut a win. While these are better than many small speakers, they are just too big for most desktop setups. Not only that, the quirks of the speaker mostly show up in the near field. I would say that the B5 is a recomendation if this is going into a shared use space like dorm or bedroom where the speakers will be used for more than close monitoring computer audio.

ELAC Debut 系列揚聲器 (Andrew Jones 設計)

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones B1d237aad44a95e3871fc116e6241517_XL

日期: 2016-01-26

過去,Andrew Jones 在 KEF 及 Infinity 工作過;也曾任職於 TAD 與 Pioneer,為揚聲器工程總監。其後,Pioneer 把影音及揚聲器部門出售,Andrew 及其同事 Chris Walker 加入到以德國 Kiel 為基地的 ELAC Electroacustic GmbH。適逢其時,ELAC 正在計劃產品回歸北美洲,他們二人與 ELAC 一拍即合。

Andrew Jones 設計 Debut 系列的目的,在於用料及規格要有超出這價位的聲音表現。比如從單元用料、幾何結構,到超低音揚聲器的擴音及自動頻率均衡電路,Andrew 都認真看待,讓產品從兩聲道到多聲道 (例如 Dolby Atmos) 都適合使用。
上文說了,Debut 系列除了重視單元幾何形狀,加上錐盆用上一種稱為 Aramid Fiber (芳綸纖維) 物料,既輕且硬,令到頻帶平直順滑,有利於分音器設計精簡化,聲音趨向清透自然。此外,其大型磁鐵及低音反射箱結構,對於聲音同樣功不可沒。至於新開發絲質球頂高音配合斜邊外罩,有利於拓展擴散角度,某程度上改善了衍射問題。再說回分音器,由於它們是經過精心設計,進一步令全頻聲音和諧,可說效果超過了成本所規範。
聲音方面,Debut 系列 B5 小書架揚聲器聲音追求真實方向,表現真是超乎想像。B6體積稍大,故此低音及動態更好。而 F5 座地揚聲器體積較為小巧,聲音卻可以填滿整個房間。旗艦 F6 同樣為三路設計,基於單元口徑大了,能量及真實感更強。至於 C5 中置,不但人聲清晰,兩隻低音單元令到聲音容鬆不迫,如幻似真。說到用上同軸單元的 A4 Dolby Atmos 揚聲器,通過反射聲呈現 3D 效果,非親歷其境實在無法感受。這 A4 簡單易用,祇要置放在揚聲器頂上即可。
最後,Debut 系列還有三款主動式超低音箱,包括S10、S10EQ 及 S12EQ,留待明天再研究。

以下是一位美國發燒友在 Facebook 上對 Debut 揚聲器的評價:
我的揚聲器於幾個小時前抵達。我喜歡 Debut 的簡單利落。紙箱不似怪物般難以入屋。它祇需要兩分鐘就可以取出來並連接好。它們是如此這般優雅。儘管我對黑色揚聲器不算特別喜歡,但如果他們必須是黑色的,Debut 還是不錯的。我的超低音箱要到下週一才到步,故此現在祇能用一對 Debut 揚聲器開聲;並以 Yamaha M4 來推動。
一張 Eve Cassidy and Chuck Brown - "The Other Side" 作品.Chuck 及 Eva 聲音分出前後,音準很好。鋼琴美妙動聽而活潑。其低音是輕微有點欠缺,這是可以預期的,但高一點的低音部分很好,敢信超低音箱可以用來填補這方面。它的聲音緊湊而和諧,讓我感到開心。現在,我好有興趣想知道,究竟兩對揚聲器聲音是怎樣?
Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones 1.-Andrew-Jones
Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones 3.-%E4%BD%8E%E9%9F%B3%E5%8F%8A%E9%AB%98%E9%9F%B3
Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones 4.-%E9%AB%98%E9%9F%B3%E5%96%AE%E5%85%83--(%E4%B8%80)
Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones 5.-%E9%AB%98%E9%9F%B3%E5%96%AE%E5%85%83--(%E4%BA%8C)
Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones 6.-%E4%BD%8E%E9%9F%B3%E5%96%AE%E5%85%83--(%E4%B8%80)
Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones 7.-%E4%BD%8E%E9%9F%B3%E5%96%AE%E5%85%83--(%E4%BA%8C)
Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones 8.-Debut-B5

Interested please feel free to contact:

Peter  012-2536225

Fong   016-3098668

Business hour:

MONDAY - 10AM-7PM

TUESDAY - 10AM-7PM

WEDNESDAY - CLOSED(PASAR MALAM)

THURSDAY - 10AM-7PM

FRIDAY - 10AM-7PM

SATURDAY - 10AM-7PM

SUNDAY - 1PM-6PM

PUBLIC HOLIDAY - 1PM-6PM

Style Online Store 24Hous

STYLE LASER AUDIO SDN BHD

No.148, Jalan Cerdas, Taman

Connaught, Cheras 56000 Kuala Lumpur

( NEXT TO ALLIANCE BANK )

Elac Debut B5 Bookshelf Speaker By Andrew Jones Trade

We buy in your old items in CASH!!

Got something keep at home but seldom use or planning to upgrade?

Items that we buy:

Subwoofer

Integrated Amplifier

Speaker

CD player

AV Receiver

Please Whatsapp the item photo to me and get the price immediately, once confirmed the deal, we will pick up your item from you and pay you in cash.

Please visit [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] find out more products for sale at very special price..

B 5   S P E C I F I C A T I O N S

Speaker type: 2-way, bass reflex
Frequency response: 46 to 20,000 Hz
Nominal impedance: 6 Ω
Sensitivity: 85 dB at 2.83 v/1m
Crossover frequency: 3,000 Hz
Maximum power input: 120 Watts
Tweeter: 1-inch cloth dome with custom deep-spheroid waveguide
Woofer: 5.25-inch woven aramid-fiber cone with oversized magnet and vented pole piece
Cabinet: CARB2 rated MDF
Cabinet finish: Black brushed vinyl
Port: Dual flared
Binding posts: 5-way metal
Width (each): 7.87 in / 200 mm
Height: 12.75 in / 324 mm
Depth: 8.75 in / 222 mm
Net weight (each): 11.5 lb / 5.2 kg
Gross weight (packaged pair): 26.2 lb / 11.9 kg

Thanks for viewing.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

stylelaser.com.my