Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

US Pressing OR Japan Pressing

+2
zeebee
ARTESUANO
6 posters

Go down

US Pressing OR  Japan Pressing Empty US Pressing OR Japan Pressing

Post by ARTESUANO Sat May 22, 2010 7:57 pm

Hi there,

Which pressing of CD is better - US or JAPAN? Especially when you buy audiophile CD. Do you really hear the different when you play on normal hifi set.

ARTESUANO
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

US Pressing OR  Japan Pressing Empty Re: US Pressing OR Japan Pressing

Post by zeebee Sat May 22, 2010 11:13 pm

For SACD at least, IMHO the pressings from Japan are preferable, albeit at a premium. For example, SMJ pressings of jazz reissues sound more full bodied and generally sound 'better' than similar pressing from US (I have particular penchant for Miles Davis's and circa 60's jazz SACDs reissues from SMEJ). Others, like SHM CD do sound better and (and waiting for some SHM SACD releases soon) are in demand. Pre-releases, especially from the 80's reissues (Dire Straits, Sting, Police) were often sold-off early while in they're are still in pre-release state !!..

My two sens + deferred again GST... Very Happy
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Theaudiohub Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:47 pm

IMHO It depends on the mastering - While the audiophile formats are nice.

Chesky records presentation need not all those funny jargons but skilled and thorough recording engineering process that makes it one of the better ones.
Theaudiohub
Theaudiohub
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-06-21

http://www.audiohub.com.sg

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:33 pm

I have a bunch of very recent Japanese remasters, The Eagles and Paul Simon albums in mini LP re-issues. I find them much louder volume (higher compression?) but in many departments sonically better than most US or EU pressed of the same title. I think its a norm for Japanese industry to remaster from the original tapes with their own equipment and as they see fit to their own engineering satisfaction. This is relative to past artist albums that are still in demand. If I were to choose between Teresa Teng's Japanese pressed or HK pressed albums, I'd favor Japanese press anytime as a better bet. (although TT have many other albums that are only available from Japan..expensive!)
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by jacktp Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:42 am

The Japs always believe their pressing is better (that's why their CDs in Japan are more expensive than "imported" ones) but from my experience its again back to the master. I have a copy of Sadao Watanabe's "Fill up the Night" which is US pressed and its quality is unbelievable. Much better than my other Japanese pressed CDs (but not of the same title).

jacktp

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-11-20

Character sheet
Source(s): Marantz CD5001
Amplification: NAD 3225PE
Speakers: Tannoy Eclipse

http://malaysian-radio-sucks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:03 am

Have been reading a lot on the net in several forums how the pressing affects the sound reproduction... even Mobile Fidelity cd's sound different if they are from different cd pressing plants. Wow.

So I decided to go on a limb and splurge some money on a 'Toshib-EMI Black Triangle' cd of Japan's 'Tin Drum' 1st pressing cd. I really like some of this groups music. When I received it in the mail, and put it in to the cd spinner, and sat and listened, it blew my socks off. The clarity was shocking compared to some of the tracks I had (to compare with) on a 'best of' cd.

I have ordered a few more, but by God they are not cheap. Worth it or not? For those very special cds that have stood the test of time and are always a joy to listen to... yes.

bal

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac
Amplification: conrad Johnson, Oddessy Khartago mono b
Speakers: maggie 1.7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down