Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Harbeth speakers - discussion thread

+50
travellersolo
scwong
cloud9
kurnass
puiyk1973
gloraglory
kychoo99
alfred
is_jalil
samazzah
JediSavant
cmboy
hi5papa
oracle
fizi
uncle_vic
wywong
bimmerman
car o scope
soonthas
zeebee
carz
mrquery
jtan
sleme
Bite
STC
dixchen
SHL-5
chewkwokhon
Lamkochai
WongKN
123_rocketman
sph
VS126
hasnul
mugenfoo
noodle88
terencebee
moderneagle
Apole
tycham
CH
samn
adrian4454
ryder
Mahler 9
Mikapoh
htkaki
khlim_77
54 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

harbeth - Harbeth speakers - discussion thread Empty Harbeth speakers - discussion thread

Post by khlim_77 Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:25 am

Hi all
any good floorstand spekaer that good on Vocal and classical music ?
coz i moving my current setup to the living area , since that i already sold off my speaker , now is a time looking on the floorstand ,
my current setup only left audiolab 8000A and cd63KI
any suggestion pls advise
tq

Last edited by khlim_77 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2010-03-09

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

harbeth - Harbeth speakers - discussion thread Empty Re: Harbeth speakers - discussion thread

Post by htkaki Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:55 am

What is your budget?
htkaki
htkaki
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 674
Registration date : 2009-01-22

http://www.htkaki.com

Back to top Go down

harbeth - Harbeth speakers - discussion thread Empty Re: Harbeth speakers - discussion thread

Post by khlim_77 Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:42 am

Hi
just put a estimate 2-4k , can be the used speaker as well , i just wish to know that will all the floorstand speaker sound better then bookself
base on my area will the floorstand is the best choice ?
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:39 pm

There is an used floorstanding JM Lab loudspeakers in good condition that is within your budget. I can't recall the exact model. Let me call him up.

Also, do you fancy Focus Audio?
htkaki
htkaki

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:29 pm

Hi khlim_77,

One thing for sure Floorstanders can give you lower end sound than standmount type. But some find the latter more appealing and liver sound. If you mainly listen to vocals, musical or opera, I think the most suitable brand is non other than HARBETH.

I have short-listed to 2, either ProAc or Harberth. Oh, not forgetting Triangle too. The number should be 3 anyway. BTW, I am just wondering how come it is so hard to find a used Triangle sets. Very Happy

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:32 pm

BTW, if I were to choose ProAc or Harbeth, they will mostly be Response D2 or the Compact 7es3. More or less the identical price range, in the region of RM8k. I dun know much about Triangle. But I am going to listen to a pair very soon.

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:23 pm

i think i wish to own a Harbeth or Proac too , but mostly the prices is over my budget,
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:40 pm

It's JM Lab Cobalt 820.

http://audioing.blogspot.com/2010/06/lesson-from-experienced-constructor.html

PM me if you are keen on it.
htkaki
htkaki

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahler 9 Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi 77,

As mikapoh said, i agree bcos i am classical music, opera, some vocal and jazz love, you shd try Harbeth. In 4k, you must be able to get used c7, c7es or c7es2. Sometime used HL5ES also available. They sound much better than plenty of floorstanders in the market in term of overall sonic + musicality.

But if you listen to pop, rock, metal, lion dancing drum or Jurrosic sound track, etc then jmlab or any other brands are alright.

Cheers...

Mahler 9
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:15 am

Agreed with a few comments above that RM2-4k can't get you much of a floorstander if compared to a bookshelf. I would consider a quality bookshelf over an inferior pair of floorstanders anyday. If this is a stepping stone then fine but if you wish to get off the merry go round and settle with the system for long-term, do consider your options carefully.

There isn't much bass for vocals and a small quality bookshelf like the LS3/5a or P3ES2 would do. For classical you need a bit of scale, and for you budget you can consider some of the recommendations given by Mahler9. Should be an improvement to your B&W DM602.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 746
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:22 am

Hi Mahler 9
actually at 1st i was target on HLp3 , coz saw many of them selling c7 or HL5 above RM5k, as my budget is only 4k, i actually not dare to target on it , rock music definitely not my type, i just wish to get a pair of speaker that can sound musically , and able to let me enjoy the music during the night time, in the low volume with detail , i think this is only the daily relax for a guy aft finish work and all the kid went up to sleep
anyway i will try it up to do some audiotion on the harbeth

khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:27 am

The C7's and 5's above RM5k are all recent models. The older C7ES2 and older versions of the HL5s are below RM5k. Judging from your description the Harbeth suits your criterias -musical, glorious at low volumes and when everyone is asleep. The clarity and detail will be all present with the Harbeth at low volume levels. Another advantage is you can use your existing integrated amp to drive the Harbeths as they don't require high current to come alive or exotic amps to sound good unlike some speakers which will sound like mud when underpowered.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:44 am

Hi khlim,
Most of the time the floodstander is chosen because of their bigger sound and less hassle on stands coupling, not until your budget cross 10k.. then only you consider buying floodstander for quality reproduction.
But nowadays we have technological advancement that make bookshelf and standmount speaker to sound same or bigger than floodstander.

So, you mustn't set your goal on floorstander only, if you still have the stand with you. It is logical to get better quality product through standmount, if your budget is 2~4k.

But if you still insist, there are these fews that fall into the 2~4k category that you can consider: Mordaunt Short Mezzo, Epos M16,...

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:48 am

Hi Mahler 9,

Where can I find used c7 or c7es2 in the price range of RM4k? It is very very rare and if you do come across, please PM me immediately. Thanks.

The other day I visited Harbeth forum for the 1st time, and although did not read much I saw the owners' set-up thread. There are plenty of amazing and beautiful hi-fi set-ups which had my juices running high. It is such an inspiration but poisonous too, to look at those Harbeths powering by fantastic equipments in near perfect hifi room. Not to mention ryder's set-up, I am just captivated. Your living hall looks very classy indeed especially with those SHL5 sitting there Very Happy I wonder whether you have shifted them back to your dedicated room for dual purpose, hifi and HT usage. All the while, I am very sceptical by the way Harbeth has designed its speakers. I guess the only thing that can shy me away from them is the outlook. Lets see...

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:05 am

Currently I am using full Mezzo series for my HT listening while maintaining the fronts (Mezz 6) for pure hifi which are driven by my naim audio combo. At this price range, there is not much to complain. The Mordaunt-short is very decent and livelywhen comes to music reproduction. However, I am relished to have a better quality speakers in the future to partner the naim to fully explore its potential.

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:52 pm

i think the look of the speaker is not important to me, coz i also switch off the light when enjoy the music , sound is very important to me
but just wandering will the HL -P3 and HL 5 much different ?
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahler 9 Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:01 pm

Hi Mikapoh,

I bot my used 1st ver C7 (with square port at the side , not the round port in the center, no any ES marking ) at 7yrs ago paid RM3.3k with Sam's stand (the old version stand too). my freind bot a old p3 before I bot the c7 paid less than RM1.2k. I did see some used C7es or C7es2 asking for RM3k+ and HL5 or HL5ES for RM4k+ in this forums and "my star" buy/sell some time ago. Due Harbeth is getting famous now, some sellers do trying to selling them with higher price for eg the old p3 now is asking RM2k plus which is, to me, very insane price bcos the old p3 was selling less than RM2.5.

Any old vintage LS3/5a. imo, is super over price now ragardless of brands incl Harbeth. The latest new re-issue LS3/5a is hype and nothing. Piano finished sound worst.

Be honest and frank, if you can find used C7, any model in between 3 to 4k range, can consider super value for money for any acoustic instrument unamplofied music, classical, Jazz and vocal playback. Enya is also excellence!

Hi 77,

Both p3 and hl5 are very musical speakers. The old p3 need some power to come alive. But if you listen vocal, with simple composition, it is hard to beat. The hl5 can play louder and bigger than p3 and fuller when play more complex music (ofcos, it is much bigger than p3). The hl5 is less power demanding but compare to later hl5es (with earlier radial cone) it is still need more power. Beside the diff mentioned above, by compaison, p3 sounded a bit closed in and hl5 is much more open.

And also, if one value true music, able to distinguish music from audio, judge audio by good quality live music but not audio by audio, very hard for the person to resist Harbeth's sound. This say, if you really likes Harbeth sound, it is worth for you to save more to get it for a real move on. You still can try other brands suggested by others here, but, be honest again, due to your music preference, they can sound diff from your b&w but you are moving aside and after awhile you will feel disatisfy. Non-classical music listener will understand this only when the day they can listen classical musics again and again, album by album without fall into sleep...

Cheers~

Mahler 9
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:31 am

Do put the Harbeth on your shortlist as they are musical speakers. Just finished listening to these for 4 hours non-stop and I'm immersed in the tunes.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:55 am

Hi Mahler 9,

After reading your post, I am leaning towards Harbeth more than ever. However, it seems very hard to find, and like you have said, if there is one it is highly over-priced in the used market.

I would really like to own used Harbeth C7es or C7es2. But if I cannot find them, I might just rest my mind on ProAc. This is my 2nd choice. If you people can help me to find the used C7es2 soon, then is another story.

Mahler & ryder, shall I wait patiently for it to appear? Can I find it in M'sia? It is certainly zero chance to get it from Kuching.

Hi Ryder,

You are true fan of Harberth, and after so many years you are still enjoying its sound as much as ever. I bet the partnership between Harbeth & Naim has been fruitful so far.

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:26 pm

Hi Mikapoh,
You may want to try your luck by contacting Paul. My guess is he may be a 2nd hand hifi dealer based in Kuching since he has sold many items on this site before. I'm not too sure but he may have connections to source for a pair in Kuching.
https://www.hifi4sale.net/search?search_author=Paul

I suppose my passion for Harbeth really shows. I've listened to many speakers for the past one decade and few have moved me so much as these speakers. I do not want to wax lyrical about the Harbeth too much as everyone has their own personal favourites. Do listen to a pair(including the Proacs) and see if they suit you well. Both are excellent speakers and it's a matter of preference in picking the right one.

The issue of overpriced speakers does not apply to Harbeth alone but others as well. It is true that prices of select equipment/speakers in the used market have been inflated for the past couple of years partly due to inflation which contributed to the rising cost of brand new gear. A particular Sonus Faber model that I sold sometime back in 2004 or 2005 now fetches at least twice the price today which is unbelievable, but true.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:55 pm

Thanks ryder, I have contacted Paul but he did not carry any Harbeth brands. Will keep an eye on that. I think S'pore has quite a number on 2nd market but sadly not familiar with anyone there.

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:48 pm

Hi Ryder
just finish some review on the net, some mention that harbeth no easy to drive some say yes , actually harbeth spekaer need how many watt to drive on it, maybe let we talk abt HLP3 and c7 , as well as the age of this 2 model speaker

khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by samn Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:44 pm

With 8000A alone, any Harbeth model can be driven easily. There's someone is selling Harbeth HL5 https://www.hifi4sale.net/t14075-wts-harbeth-hl5.

Monitor Audio also works well with Audiolab. https://www.hifi4sale.net/t14061-monitor-audio-bronze-br2-bx2-bx5-new and the price is within your budget.

Ultimately, for loudspeakers purchases, audition is definitely compulsory before you part your money. Good luck. Very Happy
samn
samn
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Rega RP3, Audiolab 8200CD, Marantz CD6003, Teac W790R & Teac V5010
Amplification: Audiolab 8200Q & Audiolab 8000M
Speakers: Mission Volare V63

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:04 pm

Yes, all Harbeth models can be easily driven. Your Audiolab would not have any problems driving the P3, C7 and HL5's. A good 50W integrated is more than sufficient.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:54 pm

many is selling on it , but sky prices , crazy prices fir P3-ES2 at rm3K +
better consider at oversea used market

khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Yes, Harbeth is over-priced in the used market. The entry level P3es is already selling in the region of RM3.5k! Sam from Tropical Audio even spilled out the bad news that all current prices will be increased by 6%!!! So a pair of my dream C7es3 will be priced between RM8k ~ RM8.5k.

I think I will eventually give up Harbeth & go for ProAc instead. Oh, Sam has mentioned Naim is actually not a neutral sounding amp. He says pairing Quad is the best. Very typical of him. On another note, ProAc has specifically mentioned they use few amps incl naim, creek & a few to test their speakers at their factory.

Ryder, I have read that you are going to set up a 2nd system using ProAc. I wonder has this dream been materialised yet?

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:03 pm

Hi Mikepoh
I will decide go to Usher or Spendor in the used market, haven audit the sound yet, but look like the prices is more reasonable in the used market
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:21 pm

Mikapoh, no plans to set up the 2nd system yet as I have been optimising the main system until now.

Actually the markup of Proac speakers here is still higher than the Harbeth if you check the retail of both speakers in British pound in the UK even with the price increase on the Harbeth.

I believe the Harbeth/Quad combination may have been used by Tropical Audio for 2 decades(or more). A classic match for sure but as always people have different tastes and listening preferences, so it is inevitable some may prefer other brands than Quads.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:10 am

Hi Khlim77,

The usher and Spendor are my initial short-list speakers too. I believe they are as good, but I have short-listed to 3 in my mind.

ryder is right about the pricing and after doing some number crunching on currency conversion, I am able to tell Harbeth is still cheaper in Bloehland. But, since 2nd hand price is now sky high it is worth to take a look at brand new units. I have also read through the basic facts about Harbeth written by Alan A Shaw and thought most of the points are very practical and applicable. Hm, seems like hard to draw a line. I have listened to Harbeth long time ago and recently come to audit the Proac. My listening preference is towards vocals and soundstaging. Thats where the 2 have their own strengths. The C7es3 has run-out of stock in Tropical Audio. Sam mentioned the es3 is better than its predecessor. He also said many Harbeth owners do own 2 sets in their listening room. Can't they get bored by the smooth sound all the time?

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:42 pm

The Spendors and Harbeths are equally good. Old Spendor models in the used market are slightly cheaper than Harbeths but are still inflated. Usually the cheaper Spendor models are very old models that are pretty beat up ie. worn out woofers and peeled off veneers etc. If you compare the recent models of both Spendor and Harbeth, the Spendors are a lot pricier than the Harbeth equivalents. The C7ES3 equivalent of the Spendor is SP2/3r2 and this speaker costs about RM17k+ when it was on demo during last year's hifi show. The SP1/2R2 which is the SHL5 equivalent costs even higher.

I'm not too sure which Usher model khlim_77 is referring to but they are not cheap in the used market either, the BE718 hovering above RM5k at most times. Sound-wise is another matter.

Mikapoh, if your preference is predominantly toward vocals, the Harbeth and Spendor will be more appropriate than the Proac. For your budget I'm not sure which Proac model is in your shorlist. Assuming less than RM5k I guess you are only limited to the smaller bookshelves such as the Tablette Ref 8 Sigs or the 1SCs. The better floorstanders are mostly above RM5k. You might want to post a thread on the Naim forum. It would be interesting to see if people would vote for the Proacs or Harbeths for the genre of music you listen to. Personally I think the Spendors and Harbeths will suit you better, especially when driven by a Naim.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by samn Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:06 pm

I used to audition new Spendor S6e with the Audiolab 8000S, I remembered the sound was superb but the Spendor was beyond my budget instead I went for the Mission which was relatively on par with Spendor but lost out to its wider soundstage and sparkling treble but Mission won the midrange and has plenty of bass to kick in my opinion to play rock, dance and pop. However, if I had more budget I would definitely go for the Spendor because it has that added smooth sailing kind of sound especially with jazz, vocal and latin. I may consider Spendor for 2nd setup one day to play with turntable. Very Happy
samn
samn
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Rega RP3, Audiolab 8200CD, Marantz CD6003, Teac W790R & Teac V5010
Amplification: Audiolab 8200Q & Audiolab 8000M
Speakers: Mission Volare V63

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:57 pm

Thanks ryder for your clarification. You have altered my thought of stripping off the Harbeth from my mind and re-consider it. It seems inevitable now and for the fact that I love listening to vocals make Harbeth a clearer choice.

At meantime, I will be looking out for a used pair. If the price is still stiff, what do you think of getting a new C7es3 at price of RM8k, is this price worth to invest? I want to find speaker that can keep me glue to them for a very long time. Please share your view.

I have some questions on turntable too, maybe will open a thread next time to seek your in-depth knowledge.

Hope the thread owner would not mind I hijack and discuss about standmount speakers instead of floorstanders as per thread title. I wonder the khlim77 has found the answer between Spendor and Usher, just like me hanging in balance between Harbeth & ProAc . Laughing

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:02 pm

Mikapoh, nothing beats first hand experience. One day if you happen to visit KL you can audition both Harbeth and Proac and see which speaker suits your listening preference better. If that is not possible I still recommend the Harbeth(or Spendors) over the Proac not only because of your musical taste but also cost considerations. The better Proacs(D18s) are above RM10k if I'm not mistaken and the older models(Response 2.5, D15) are not that cheap in the used market.

I guess only you can decide whether the C7ES3 is worth RM8k. For long-term attachment it is definitely worthwhile to consider the Harbeth. As far as i know many folks who happen to own the Harbeth seem to have reached their destination with some having two pairs in their homes(since they love them so much). Prices of Harbeth here are not only the lowest in the region but in the world as well. If you don't believe you can check out the dealers' prices in the US and UK. The Harbeths are cheaper in Malaysia than the UK. The C7ES3 used to sell at RM7.3k inclusive of stands and to me RM8k is still reasonable if looking for a long-term investment.

If you think prices of Harbeth are overpriced, dealers in the UK are selling the C7ES3 at £2,050 which is slightly more than RM10k. If you want to know why the prices here can be cheaper, you have to ask Sam. On the other hand, you may want to check out how much the Proac D18 is selling at CMY. The retail of the D18 is £2,100 in the UK.

By the way, if you are interested in the comparison between Usher BE718 and Harbeths, check out the link below.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1267317397&openfrom&1&4#1

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:18 pm

Hi ryder,

To be more specific, I am comparing Harbeth C7es3 to ProAc Studio 140 which is in that price range. I wonder the studio can match Harbeth in sound quality.

Another thing is naim nait & cd 5i-2 can match the Harbeth in price/performance ratio since the naim is below RM5k category.

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:35 pm

Hi Mikapoh,

I've always liked Proacs which include the lower range models. I haven't listened to the Studio 140 but they should be quite good. I am only wary of the combination between the Naims and Proacs. No doubt they are used in many setups and can sound excellent but some do not like the match as both tilt towards dry and lean. The Harbeths and Spendors will have a more organic and human touch on vocals. Others who have experience with the Studio 140s can probably comment. In my mind the Studio 140s can be a better fit to the Naims as they may not be as highly detailed and analytical as the higher Proac models.

I guess the Studio 140s and C7ES3s are special in their own ways as each has their own strengths and weaknesses. I don't know if it's appropriate to say whether the Studio 140s are able to *match* the quality of the Harbeths. If they are cheap in the used market you can probably consider them as well.

Before I forget, cmboy or mugenfoo would be the one to look for if you need to know anything about turntable.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:09 pm

hi Ryder
please let me know more detail about the HLp3 generation ,
it sating on HLP3, HLP3ES, HLP3ES2 then to HLP3ESR right are there any improvement from head to tail ?

khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:13 pm

Hi khlim_77,
Sorry, I don't know the difference between all the HLP3 generations as my experience is only with the P3ESR and the all the latest range of Harbeth speakers. Hopefully someone else can help you with your question.

Actually the P3ESR is the only one in the P3 range that employs the new Radial driver which was said to be quite an improvement over the older HLP3, 3ES and ES2 which use the conventional drivers.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:17 pm

If you are a member on the PinkFish forum you can try posting on that site as there may be some guys who have experience with all these models. Alternatively, you can join the Harbeth forum, and I am sure Alan(if not the other forummers) will be able to help you out. He will probably try to convince you that the P3ESR is the way to go though.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahler 9 Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi khlim77,

I posted some p3 info in your other thread u may missed out. Or maybe it is not usefull to you. Anyway, I repost it here again and you can follow the link to read some p3 info:

Re: Calling Owners Of Harbeth Speakers
by Mahler 9 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:33 pm

Hi 77,
SEAS woofer (and tweeter) have been used in the P3, P3ES and P3ES2.
Current p3esr is using radial driver.

Old model from p3 to es2 (only the tweeter gril coated with golden color for es versions) was improved slightly (to my ear of cause) in bass out put and upper mid to lower high transaction. No serious differnet between them. Old p3 price was good 10 yrs ago ard RM1k. Now the price is serious too high for used p3.

The new p3esr is totally differnt sounding speaker and many level up from all the 3 versions old p3. Best musical sounding with natural sound in the market now. Honest engineering without any BS. If you can wait, just keep your eye on used p3esr is much more value for money.

For more info, you can read here. Hope this can help. Cheers

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/showthread.php?495-New-Harbeth-P3ESR&p=4363#post4363

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/showthread.php?495-New-Harbeth-P3ESR

Mahler 9
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:12 pm

this is what i get from the net , now my answer clear
This is not a straightforward matter, and believe me, there is no 'right' name that will satisfy everybody. OK so here is the history and the reasoning. It's really not as illogical as it seems.

HL = Harbeth Loudspeaker

P3 = The name of Harbeth's smallest speaker, introduced in 1990! (So, the name issue is twenty years old!)

ES = Extra Specification; the ES version of the P3 (with different bass unit/crossover and bevelled cabinet front edge) was introduced about ten years ago so by that stage Harbeth's smallest speaker was known as the HL-P3ES.

-2 = cabinet front edge now rounded

R = RADIAL, our special cone material.

So, from a marketing position, after investing twenty years in brand and image building, it would be totally irresponsible to drop the name "P3" and wipe away twenty years of positive feedback and consumer awareness and to start all over again for what is clearly a new generation of that very product. So some decisions were made here recently ....

1) Simplify the name of the new generation mini-Harbeth to "P3-something". As we'd used 'ES' before to advise of a specification upgrade, then P3ES seemed sensible.

2) Use R for RADIAL

3) Drop the HL, so not HL-P3ESR but just P3ESR

That's about it!
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:13 am

khlim77, have the Usher or Spendor vanished in your shopping list for new loudspeaker?

I bet the more you learned about HL, the more desperate you want to get 'em. Cheers.

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:34 am

Hi Mikapoh
aft all the learning , tomorrow will visit singapore and get the speaker there, of coz harbeth still is my first choice then follow by Spendor and Usher
anyway buying speaker have to settle faster coz my wife is start making noise that wasting time on surfing net on speaker,
so once i thing i have to very sure is after get the speaker please don"t come across this side any more , coz this is a really poison place, you will use up all your $$$ and still don"t know what is happened
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:13 am

Yeah audio hobby is never-ending and can burn a serious hole into our bank account. Not just forum can poison but audio shops, friend's set-up too you need to avoid. Easy said than done. I am pretty sure you will come back soon. Often many have said, including me that this is my last upgrade, but in reality our sub-conscious mind can take control. This is not happening to audio hobby but to other hobbies like photographing too. They just keep upgrading their lens and can easily reach RM20k to RM30k or more! Haha.

Just have to be self-discipline & practice self-satisfaction. Make sure you come back but to share ideas only....we all share something in common. Very Happy

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by CH Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:30 pm

khlim77,

You are playing a dangerous mind game. Different people have different preference. Mingling sound in your mind will do you no good, so is reading the reviews. Shortlist your speaker choice and go audition. Follow your heart.

People read reviews prior and after buying to reaffirm his purchase decision. The "feel good" factor kicks in.

Having said that, you will not go wrong with British speakers with BBC tradition on vocal. And please factor in the partnering electronics in order to achieve a glimpse of the speaker potential you heard in a showroom (assuming the audio salesperson is knowledgeable and capable of bringing the best of the speakers, possibly hiding the flaw of the speakers too).

Good luck.

Good luck.

CH
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:58 am

last week end i was visit the Adelphi singapore , a hifi mall mainly for the audio crazy fan, of coz first stop will be Harbeth shop, when my first step walk in, OMG, the sound so nice , so transparent , i can't imaging that the speaker is so quietness , i totally not bother on the boss and continue enjoy the music , until changing to the next track then i only start chating with the boss , ask abt P3ESR , he say " all sold out , next shipment coming in on june or july , but all fully book, second shipment coming on oct, if want hv to pay the deposit , the current stock hv only on c7 , prices is S$3900 ,
i say i like it, i really really like it , but too bad that is over my budget , so end out i use up 45 min in the shop chating with the passion boss and enjoing the c7, and of coz c7 will me next target
just sharing some picture on the audition
Harbeth C7ES3
harbeth - Harbeth speakers - discussion thread C7

Near Motive 2 - review is very good , but i just sit there less then 10min , i don;t like the sound
harbeth - Harbeth speakers - discussion thread Motive2

spendor 35R- i feel that the sound is very close to the Proac fer 8 - the is the prices offer at S$1350
harbeth - Harbeth speakers - discussion thread 35r

Bel Conto drive with thiel , hahaha , very funny, coz i request to test the Bel canto S300, then the boss show me how good is the Bel cano S can drive the floorstand speaker
harbeth - Harbeth speakers - discussion thread Belcan

i try the MF A1 amp vs ti the exposure 3010s amp
harbeth - Harbeth speakers - discussion thread MFA1exposure3010s

khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:02 pm

end out i was get a pair of Harbeth HLP3ES on the used shop, condition is very ncie with the reasonable prices
harbeth - Harbeth speakers - discussion thread Harb

Last edited by khlim_77 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:16 pm

Hi Khlim,
Seem like you got poisoned on your first visit to the first shop. Anyway, glad that u have got urself a lovely speaker. Dont mind telling how much u got it and do u manage to bypass the custom?

And what amp will u be using for this baby? Thanks.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi Khlim,

Thanks for sharing & your effort in uploading those pictures. I thought you have made up your mind for Spendor & Usher but still end up for Harbeth. Your final choice really speaks huge volume for this product! I will have no doubt in drawing a line between Harbeth & Proac now.

Would you care do us a brief review on the C7s, what have impressed you so much? I do really want to hear what an ordinary audio fan has to say other than a true audiophile like ryder. But the price tag of $3900 (approx. RM9300) looks more expensive than our local dealer. I am surprised P3es is selling like "hot cakes" in S'pore. Even the 1st batch are fully reserved. Holly shot, even Tropical audio is also running out of stock & will only schedule to arrive in June.

adrian4454, I think he will be busy setting the speakers up. But we do hope your quick feedback on this little gem. This thread owner has found the answer, and so does some trespassers. Very Happy
We should thank those who have contributed in one way or another especially ryder.

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:59 pm

Hi Mikapoh
to be fren if my first stop is on the Spendor shop for sure i will buy it , coz they are having a promotion on the S3/5R at only S$1350 inc GST , the prices that really attract me and between my budget , 3/5R sound range i feel that is very similar to the Proac fer 8 , wide soundstage with smooth mid range , on up range abit lose then the Proac but still acceptable,

mikapoh , u are asking me briefing on the C7 , to me this kind of feeling is like a married guy miss the out site sexy girls , although i m owning the HLP3ES but i really really love on C7, just imaging the c7 is driving by a CEC 3800 int and 3800 cpd and can produce such nice music , very sweet mid range and transparent sound with very very quietness feel , the quietness that i mention here is not between track to track ,is some thing that u can feel is come out behind the instrument , the quietness that make u relax, i did request the boss to turn off the cdp then the quietness feeling disappear , so for sure this type of quietness feel is produce by the c7 speaker itself , i believe C7 will be the speaker that let you enjoy the music for the whole day
the reason why i din purchase the C7 is i just started the Hifi hobby on last year , is very hard to convince myself to invest so huge figure on the speaker. some more my current environment that my kid is playing around and worry 1 day they will pot a whole on my speaker , so target on the used speaker still is my first choice but for sure c7 will be my next target

back to the HLP3 ES, not feeling any special on the first setup , maybe i was still effected by the C7 , aft few cd i start felling the mid and up range much much more improve compare to the dm602 , especially on the vocal and the classical music , i test out all the cd that i consider the poor record getting nicer in my HLP3,
Diana Krall - Tamptation , the drum sound become very enjoyable , the electric guitar is very live , so i believe i still able to stick with this speaker maybe for another 4-5 year
mikapoh , i not sure how is the pracd studio 140 sound right , but i believe u will not regret to do the audiotion on the c7
the reason why P3ESR selling like a hot cake in sg is too many of the indonesian getting the speaker over there, for singaporen many of them will go on c7 coz just a thousand buck different, S$3k + is equal to their 1 mth salary, but become eight thousand + in our boleh land or = 2mth + salary in malaysia , so look like we still hv to work hard to achieve our expensive hobby

khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:12 am

Thank you khlim for your brief review.

I like your creative description. The feeling is like a married guy missing the sexy girls outside. WOW, never thought that these type of speakers can seduce our thoughts. Even hard to believe judging from its very conventional look....must be their inner beauty (ie, the sound) Smile

According to Harbeth website, P3s is very popular too, and can be as good as C7s in a smaller room. Only the scale of presentation might not as big as their bigger counterparts. Well, it is no surprise that you will own another Harbeth speakers in future. Many owners have owned at least 2 pair! You can always look into the used market for C7s but I bet it is pretty rare and very expensive too. Since you have owned one, you can take your own sweet time to keep an sharp eye on it anytime. Just make sure you always log on here. Like I said before, it is easier said than done. This hobby is never-ending. Even if your mind tells you not to come back this site or go audio shop but deep down your heart or sub-conscious mind will conquer you by corrupting & producing poison down to your vein.

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next