Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Calling Owners Of Harbeth Speakers

+37
Opera
STC
mofaz
khlim_77
panditji
perlis1977
rsbn589
Mahler 9
joeling
sanguine
VS126
ongaaron
mugenfoo
CN Yee
grantorino
uncle_vic
Clarisa09
Burrp2001
annshu88
bak mei
dixchen
nicholas_1213
skydna
dheensay
kkthen
Lamkochai
chamts1
lavender
RobA4
limsg
Bite
tycham
- br@d -
JayJay
chieng90
123_rocketman
ryder
41 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Calling Owners Of Harbeth Speakers - Page 2 Empty Re: Calling Owners Of Harbeth Speakers

Post by 123_rocketman Fri May 29, 2009 11:40 am

ryder wrote:Hi 123_rocketman,

You've got a personal message.

Hi ryder,

Thanks. Have responded.

Cheers.

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Calling Owners Of Harbeth Speakers - Page 2 Empty Re: Calling Owners Of Harbeth Speakers

Post by dheensay Sun May 31, 2009 1:38 am

Rocketman, how are the e90 & E34 keeping ? Smile

dheensay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Sun May 31, 2009 10:59 am

123_rocketman came to my place yesterday as he was intrigued in my experience with the NVA and SHL-5 matching. He has been a long time owner of a pair of HL-5s and a recently acquired a new pair of Compact 7ES-3, both driven by Quad amps. I guess he is one of the few Harbeth owners who owns 2 pairs of Harbeth speakers, or more.

The choice of music used is a mix of Mandarin and English songs mostly on vocals, and to 123_rocketman's conclusion there is a veil in sound which has contributed to the slight lack of dynamics compared to his Quad-driven Harbeths. Since all of our systems are in dedicated rooms of different sizes(yes, 123_rocketman has 2 dedicated rooms for both his HL-5s and Compact 7ES-3s), the room acoustics and configuration of our setups are different, and he has been accustomed to the live sound of his setup in a larger 16'x24' room in comparison to my smaller 11'x17' room. I suggested the possible cause to be the large 3'x6' absorption panels I have on both side walls and made some adjustments after he left. All absorption on side walls had been taken out and two smaller pieces of 2'x4' absorption panels were added on the rear wall in addition to 4 pieces of RPG omniffusors. The result was more open and live sound at the expense of control and refinement. Difficult to say which is better as it is a matter of preference. 123_rocketman will arrange for a 2nd audition.

This exercise has demonstrated the importance of room acoustics and its effect in contributing to the overall presentation of the sound. The sound difference is definitely not subtle. A system's capabilities will be able to be maximised when it is placed in a good room with reasonably good acoustics with allowance for treatments.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 746
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Lamkochai Sun May 31, 2009 11:01 am

how much is a piece of rpg omniffusors? where to buy it? any photos?
thanks in advance.

Lamkochai
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Character sheet
Source(s): bryston bdp2, bryston dac, reimyo dac, Dps Turntable tonearm and benzmicro rubyz
Amplification: gryphon diable 300, genesis phono amp, diy tube amp
Speakers: marten django xl & audiophysic virgo

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Sun May 31, 2009 11:13 am

Hi Lamkochai,
The RPG Omniffusors are RM500 per piece when I bought them more than 2 years ago. Whether it is cost-efficient or not is up to the listener but I can safely say the omnifussors is certainly effective sound-wise. I only wished they were cheaper as 4 pieces already cost me RM2k. I would like to have minimum 8 pieces but the cost was prohibitive. Original ones will cost even more expensive at more than 2X the cost. I have now added 2 pieces of 2'x4' of absorption panels on top of those diffusors since all absorption has been taken out from side walls. The result was a less diffused and more organic sound. Overall it was a nice improvement.

Last edited by ryder on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lamkochai Sun May 31, 2009 11:17 am

oh. i have seen the omnifussors in your other post. they look gorgeous and most importantly easy to put in place. i have always wanted to buy wooden diffusors but the one sold by center circle audio (auralex) is really expensive.

Lamkochai
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Character sheet
Source(s): bryston bdp2, bryston dac, reimyo dac, Dps Turntable tonearm and benzmicro rubyz
Amplification: gryphon diable 300, genesis phono amp, diy tube amp
Speakers: marten django xl & audiophysic virgo

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Sun May 31, 2009 3:10 pm

If anybody knows of a skilled carpenter who can DIY these wooden diffusors at RM100-150 per piece please let me know. It would be interesting if I have a dozen of these diffusors in the room to play around.

Haven't seen the auralex type of diffusors. The ones sold by Center Circle Audio looks interesting and is a cheaper alternative to the original RPG Skylines. The light weight of the Skylines makes it an advantage to be placed on the ceiling.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by skydna Sun May 31, 2009 4:04 pm

ryder wrote:If anybody knows of a skilled carpenter who can DIY these wooden diffusors at RM100-150 per piece please let me know. It would be interesting if I have a dozen of these diffusors in the room to play around.

Haven't seen the auralex type of diffusors. The ones sold by Center Circle Audio looks interesting and is a cheaper alternative to the original RPG Skylines. The light weight of the Skylines makes it an advantage to be placed on the ceiling.

Yeah it will be nice if there is a carpenter can clone those wooden diffusors with lower price den we can have a bulk order here~~ lol!
skydna
skydna
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Character sheet
Source(s): Naim
Amplification: Naim
Speakers: ProAc

Back to top Go down

Post by lavender Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:01 pm

Bite wrote:
Some with a stretch of imagination may conclude from your last post that your motive, driven by regret and bitterness, is to save him from the warm, seductive embrace of a sonic temptress called harbeth, having fallen prey yourself to her graces in the past. LOL.

Hi Bite,

Indeed it's humorous and significant.
It's been years I've listen to Harbeth speakers. They performed well in vocal and solo instrument music. But...somehow, it doesn't work well with orchestra works. We can't obtain large scale of the soundstage and depths. It depends on which genre of music that we listen to!

Btw, how do you like your system ? I'm quite interested to share about your experience in hifi, why don't we have a refreshment some day? Please PM me, I'm looking forward to your reply.

Regards.

lavender
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:26 pm

sivaguru wrote:Dear All,
Anyone with any experience of Harbeth's driven by Exposure?
Regards,
Sivaguru

Looks like nobody here does. If I could talk someone into lending me one I would let you know.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:18 pm

After 1 week of listening, below are the comparisons between the NVA-AP70 integrated and the Plinius SA-100MkIII/ARC LS-16:-

* Timbre and Tonal Accuracy - advantage NVA
* Smoothness and Refinement - advantage NVA
* Overall Coherence - advantage NVA
* Dynamics - advantage Plinius
* Decay - advantage NVA
* Leading Edge and transients - advantage Plinius
* Highs and extension - tie
* Midrange - advantage NVA
* Bass depth and definition - large advantage Plinius

The bass on the NVA amp seems to be a slight problem. It may be due to the flimsy looking LS-1 speaker cable that is causing a weak bass response but still I think the NVA doesn't go too low in the bass frequencies. This amp is good for music that doesn't have too much bass.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:51 pm

dheensay wrote:Rocketman, how are the e90 & E34 keeping ? Hi:)
Hi dheensay,Sorry, but I dont understand your questions.Hi, ryder,Just a small clarification; my the other room is for AV. I placed my HL-5s in my living hall driven by Quad 34/306.

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:34 am

Hi 123_rocketman,
I guess dheensay is asking the same question I asked you whether you would be keeping your Quads after listening to my system.

So your HL-5s are in your living room. That may explain the dynamic sound you are getting since I presume the floor is tiles and not carpet. Add in hard reflective surfaces of bare walls there may be slap echoes. If the room where the Compact 7ES-3s are located are on tiles as well that is also a factor in the slightly bright and dynamic sound you are getting.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by limsg Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:35 am

Dear Ryder,

As I read your comparison between NVA and Plinius/ARC, I wonder if you use different preamp would the result be different?

I am not sure about the LS-16 but I did try LS-2 before, it does sound a bit 'fat' and warmist. May be using a matching Plinius preamp it could improve your sound.

Personally I feel that the system inherit the tone more from the preamp rather than the power amp, well I am sure there is room for other to differ from my observation.

Cheers

limsg
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:43 pm

Hi Limsg,

I have pondered on a higher quality preamp for a long time and have no doubts it will improve the sound quality. THe question is how much I am going to pay for it. I have tried many preamps with the Plinius, 5 to be exact and all of them returned poor to mediocre results. To be fair all the preamps I tested were inferior ones, and the current LS-16 is the best of the crop so far. I have read real experience of folks, the more recent one being a guy who upgraded his SP-16 to the LS-26 and cannot believe the sound his ears are getting. I believe a brand new unit of LS-26 would be close to RM20k or more? There are other good preamps around and in my mind one has to go close to or above the RM10k mark for a used unit to obtain fairly good results at my level.

Although it is true the preamp may have a larger effect on the sound compared to the power amp, I have ackowledged the smooth and warm character of the Plinius amp. That is another reason I am considering an all-new integrated altogether.

Judging from retail prices brand new, the cost of the Plinius with a quality preamp may well encroach into the RM30k region(used maybe half of that) whereas the NVA only costs about RM3.5k. As always, there must be a justification to how much one is willing to spend as the sky is the limit. The biggest nightmare is when the sound quality of the more expensive components is inferior compared to the cheaper ones.

Thanks for the thought.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:51 am

Dear ryder,Sorry, being away awhile with no access to comp and internet.Well, I will be keeping my Quads for a while though.Yes, my living room is tiled but the dedicated room's floor is wooden. The problem with the room may be due to the bare walls and the plastered ceiling. May need treatment to the areas.

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:08 pm

Hi 123_rocketman,
Since your Compact 7ES-3 is in a dedicated room, I believe the speakers have much potential to sound better with proper room treatments. Your wood floor is ideal as it provides a lively ambience compared to all tiles(too bright) or all carpet(slightly damped). A combination of wood and carpet is said to yield the best of both worlds. You can try getting a rug and place it on top of your wood floor and listen to the results yourself.

It is definitely useful to place some emphasis on bare walls and bass traps in a dedicated room if one wants to maximise the potential of the system. The ceiling is very tricky, and since our rooms are all in plaster ceiling, I think it's best that we leave them as it is as mounting panels on top of them are not recommended unless we hang them through the beam rafters above the roof.

I've just made some adjustments to my room. I've moved the absorption panels from the side walls to the corner of the front walls WITHOUT any acoustic foams in them. The panels are just covering the bass traps. Also, I have moved the omniffusors from the back wall to the front. Now the rear wall behind is bare without any treatments. I find the sound to improve quite substantially. Unfortunately I cannot watch any movies with this setup but with the sound quality I'm getting I don't think I'll be watching any films too soon.

Now I need to figure out where to get some diffusors for my rear wall...

Last edited by ryder on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:30 am

Hi, Ryder,

Its a pity you have to sacrifice your movie for better sound. But I guess it is worth it.

Anyway, you are welcome to listen to my set up. If you wish, you can bring along your NVA to test out with the 7ES-3. Better still, if kkthen can come along with his LFD, then we can do the A/B/C tests. lol!

Regards.

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:28 pm

Hi 123_rocketman,

I will let you know in due time. I have been waiting for kkthen to come to my place since last month and similarly quite anxious to listen to the LFD as well.

Cheers.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by kkthen Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:24 pm

123_rocketman wrote:Hi, Ryder,

Its a pity you have to sacrifice your movie for better sound. But I guess it is worth it.

Anyway, you are welcome to listen to my set up. If you wish, you can bring along your NVA to test out with the 7ES-3. Better still, if kkthen can come along with his LFD, then we can do the A/B/C tests. lol!

Regards.

Dear 123_rocketman:

Where are your location? I also wish to hear your nice system. Very Happy

kkthen
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi  kkthen,I am in Shah Alam area.  You can MP me .Regards.

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:03 pm

limsg wrote:Hi ryder, I use Bladelius pre & power for Harbeth C7ES3. Previously I use Quad 306 power and a passive preamp, I am still keeping the quad system and listen to it when I hv the mood :-)

The price difference between Quad & Bladelius is very big, but the performance difference is NOT VERY SIGNIFICANT!!! Yes, they have different presentation, yes a little bit of this and a little bit of that but I won't loose sleep over it.

However, I do find speaker PLACEMENT makes lots of different, may be you should maximise this aspect first before working on your amp. Anyway I think your amplication system is FANTASTIC. I think putting your money in your source or acoustic treatment may be a better route to take...

Enjoy your speaker.... hv a great day.

Hi limsg,
I guess point of diminishing returns has kicked in in that you cannot find substantial difference between the Bladelius pre/power and Quad amps that you currently own. Well, at least you can still detect some minor sound differences here and there, so all your money is still not wasted having to pay a lot of $$$ for the Bladelius. :-) Apart from Quad and Bladelius amps, have you tested any other amps with your Compact 7ES-3?

Yes, placement really makes a huge difference. The room too. I am the person who likes to experiment so have figured out about this much earlier. Unfortunately for folks with small rooms, there isn't much we can do but to make do with the available space. If the room was slightly bigger I reckon the sound would be better having more room to breathe. Placement of speakers is correlated to the room size, the smaller the trickier. Hence apart from tweaking with placement I need to concentrate more on treating the room with more diffusors to get the sound waves distributed more evenly creating a more natural sound.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by limsg Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:46 pm

I hv not tested C7ES3 with other brand of amps. Well, may be I need to put it in another way there is DIFFERENCE between Quad and Bladelius HOWEVER, whether the difference in sound commensurate the difference in price. I think everyone has to make the call themselves :-)

On thing for sure if you are listening at low volume Bladelius is much better.

limsg
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:43 am

Hi limsg,

May I know if you have listened to the Bladelius Thor II integrated prior to getting the Bladelius pre/power. If not, I would like to know if the Bladelius separates have speed, bass slam and midrange accuracy apart from having good musicality and tonal balance. Music shall not sound too warm or thick in the midrange and have good macro and micro-dynamics when called for. In other words the overall spectrum shall be well-balanced and coherent from top to bottom.

Further to that, I would appreciate if you can let me know whether your system is in the living room or a dedicated room. If the system is in a dedicated room, please let me know the dimensions.

Also, it would be good if you can describe in brief what are the differences between the Quad and Bladelius amps driving your Compact 7ES-3. The Thor II is currently in my shortlist. Thanks in advance.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by lavender Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:55 pm

Hi Ryder,
Just out of curiosity, why don't you hold back selling your preamp and acquire a Thor ll along with NVA amp, to do A-B comparison, or it may allow you to get an ultimate matching system in your newly arranged room. Perhaps you would like to invite us to listen to the best system you ever had.

lavender
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by lavender Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:03 pm

Hi Bite,

why don't we have a teh tarik since you curious about the Paradigm?

lavender
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:58 pm

I've just had the opportunity to try the LFD Zero MkIII today courtesy of kkthen and the amp has blown both the NVA and Plinius/ARC to pieces. I can safely say LFD and Harbeth speakers go extremely well together, truly a match made in heaven. I have yet to hear the Bladelius Thor II with the SHL-5.

To all,
Sorry to say I don't accept any visitors to my place anymore as there are too many who came recently, most of them strangers. I lead a quiet and private life and my final hope of being able to listen to the LFD is now realised, so there is nothing more I would want to accomplish. For anyone who wants to listen to a well set-up Harbeth system, please proceed to go to the Harbeth showroom(Tropical Audio) to experience a wide range of Harbeth speakers that are available.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bite Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:26 am

Hi Lavender,

Who can resist teh tarik, hifi chat and what more......... a paradigm shift. Thanks but later perhaps. Lots on the plate at the moment.

rgs

Bite
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by limsg Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Hi Ryder,

My current system is in my living hall. Yes I did consider the ThorII b4 I go pre/power route. MY OPINION is bass slam, drive, raw power is NOT the signature of Bladelius, it strength is in other attributes like clarity, musicality, good tone, magical midrange, sweet high etc. In term of performance pre/pwr is approx 30% better than thorII (Note: this is just an indicative figure, don't challenge me to justify or provide a scientific prove ;-)

I think in term of tonal balance, Bladelius pre/pwr is quite even but the ThorII gear slightly towards the high freq. U may need to judge it yourself :-)

In comparison with quad. Quad is thicker sounding in the mid and bass region, the staging is more forward and less focus. However, Quad also has it charm when producing guitar tone.

These are the thing that I like about bladelius:-
1) Sound good either using XLR or Unbalance. NOTE: some amp favour one over the other.
2) Don't have pop sound even when I switch off my pre while my pwr amp is still in operation. Free me from nightmare
3) Hv remote control and gain control where I can adjust the loudness when using different source (TV, DVD)
4) It sound magical (harbeth + bladelius) to me when I on it at mid-night. Very engaging especially producing female voices and piano pieces.

Bring the ThorII home and test it out. I think this is the best way to kill all doubts.

Cheers

limsg
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:06 pm

Hi Limsg,

Thanks for the detailed response. Your findings on the sound signature of Quad have coincided with mine as I also find the midrange to be thicker and less focused. The result is a more liquid presentation with a big and live sound at the expense of detail, clarity and refinement.

I have heard the LFD Zero MkIII in my system and the result is nothing short of breathtaking. I believe this is the real deal and the ultimate amp for Harbeth speakers. All the good things Sam Tellig and the Singaporeans have been preaching all this while are true. In my room and to my ears, the LFD is perfect and there is nothing to fault on the sound quality of the amp.

Regarding the Thor II, the seller does not arrange in-home demo so chances are likely I will forgo this amp. Also, based on a few comments by those who have heard the Thor II in the Harbeth showroom in Singapore, the LFD was preferable to the Bladelius. Unfortunately I would not have the chance to verify this so I have to go with the LFD which was confirmed to be a wonderful match with my SHL-5. All other amps which include the NVA and Plinius/ARC fared terribly in comparison. The Bladelius Thor II was desirable and in my shortlist previously due to the additional features which include a remote control, balanced connections, a pair of preouts and HT bypass.

Cheers.

Last edited by ryder on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by limsg Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:15 pm

Who is the dealer for LFD in malaysia? What is the cost of the unit?

limsg
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:21 pm

THere isn't any LFD dealer in Malaysia, unfortunately. Cost of unit is +/-RM10k after conversion. That was 2 months ago. I am trying to get our local Harbeth dealer to bring in this unit direct from the manufacturer in the UK but it will be slightly difficult. Our local Harbeth dealer is a die-hard Quad fan having paired Harbeth speakers with it since day one he started out as a dealer, I believe. His philosophy is based around Quad, but he informed he *may* change his mind if he finds out the LFD sounds better than the Quads.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by nicholas_1213 Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:47 pm

Dear All,

I'm currently using sonus faber concertino domus (the small bookshelf), feel really impressed after hearing how HL5 sound in subang parade rock corner (even without proper setup)..

Then I came across a pair of used SHL5 which is selling about RM10k without the stand, as I'm quite new to this field, is the price of RM10k justify a pair of used shl5 without stand? Sorry as I really have no idea what's the price range for a used one. Also, is HL5 cheaper or more expensive than a SHL5?

Many thanks to those who care to look into my question..

nicholas_1213
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by dixchen Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:03 am

I thought tropical audio was selling those SHL5's for around that price new.

Althought I would second any Harbeth's anytime but 10k is relatively too close to new. How old is it?

The HL 5 was cheaper than the SHL 5 but then again it was sold years ago, our currency was probably stronger then.

Funny you should say that you got impressed by the HL5 at Subang Parade corner, cause about 1 half years ago I heard that playing and went straight back to my office googled for the local dealer and bought a pair of Compact 7's immediately.

Yes it was powered off some ordinary solid state amp for demo and that what really impressed me!

Good luck!

Regards
Dixon

dixchen
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:58 am

Hi Nicholas_1213,

It is always wise to check with the local dealer on the price of any components or speakers brand new when considering to purchase the same item in the used market. Call Tropical Audio 03-40217660/016-3388822 for pricing information. The seller of the used SHL-5's may be trying to catch a big fish. The SHL-5 is a newer model than the HL-5 so the latter would be cheaper in the used market, but you wouldn't know if it's the other way round -if you get what I mean.

The Sonus Faber Concertino Domus is a 2-way smaller bookshelf with 6" woofer whereas the SHL-5 is a 3-way bigger bookshelf with 8" woofer, so not exactly a fair comparison.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:37 am

nicholas_1213 wrote:Dear All,

I'm currently using sonus faber concertino domus (the small bookshelf), feel really impressed after hearing how HL5 sound in subang parade rock corner (even without proper setup)..

Then I came across a pair of used SHL5 which is selling about RM10k without the stand, as I'm quite new to this field, is the price of RM10k justify a pair of used shl5 without stand? Sorry as I really have no idea what's the price range for a used one. Also, is HL5 cheaper or more expensive than a SHL5?

Many thanks to those who care to look into my question..

Pricing for SHL 5? Wonder how true is this - http://www.echoloft.com/hifi-forum/index.php?topic=19085.0

HL5 is quite a rare commodity nowaday.

Looks like your quoted price is around SGD4000 that someone advertised for in echoloft recently.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by lavender Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:04 am

Hi Nicholas,

Used HL-5 is around 4k+,
and Super HL-5 is 8.9k

lavender
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by nicholas_1213 Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:52 am

Dear All,

Really thanks for so many guidance & prompt reply just within half a day!

@tycham,
Yes exactly that's the price I'm being offered from one of the forumer in echoloft who is selling off his SHL5. At least now I know what's the price range, and thank God I asked the question first before proceed with the purchase.

@ Ryder,

Thank you for providing me the Tropical Audio's contact. Will check out with them soon. But only until lavender provide the estimated 2nd hand price on the last reply, I realise that there's actually such a big gap between HL5 & SHL5.. Personally I have not heard how SHL5 sound, but already pretty impressed by the HL5 with simple setup. Can't wait to audit a proper setup with harbeth. Will check out Tropical Audio soon.

Also, yeah it's unfair to compare a big bookshelf and a small bookshelf, even they are from different price range's speaker. Currently I'm pretty satisfied from the sf, very lush vocal (but I agree with your earlier post that it is somehow 'coloured' to certain extend), also the bass reproduction doesn't really go down much (again I can't expect too much with the 4.5" driver - Yes it's only 4.5"), which doesn't provide me the full body feeling.

Another concern is that my room currently is only about 10ft X 12ft, which is pretty small. Currently the sf sound just nice in my room, wonder this big bookshelf will overwhelm my room..

@Dixon,

Really? Then perhaps Harbeth should pay some commission to the subang parade's rock corner for advertising his speaker :p But sadly my wallet doesn't permit me to do exactly what you did years back.. But I think I'm slowly moving to that direction, nowadays used unit up for sale are not much..

nicholas_1213
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nicholas_1213 Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:16 pm

Just called them (Mr. Fan), and the price is RM8.9k as mentioned, also the stand can be purchased at RM300. Unless the echoloft seller's SHL5 is a anniversary version or so called limited edition, I almost become the 'big fish' topping up the risk of custom and also the driving distance to Sg..

nicholas_1213
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:27 pm

Nicholas_1213,
For your room size you might want to check out the new P3ESR which is an all-new model just recently introduced which features a 5" Radial driver for the first time which is found in all the bigger Harbeth models. The P3ESR was said to share many resemblance in sonic signature with the top-of-the-line M40.1. For your 10'x12' room I think the biggest you can go for is the Compact 7ES-3 in nearfield configuration. The SHL-5 may still fit in but system may not be optimised.

A word of caution on the older HL5. There are several iterations of the older HL5 from MK1 to Mk4, and spare parts for these speakers are not available anymore. Please refer to the link below for information.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/sales/servicingandspares/index.php

The mid/bass driver and tweeter in the HL5's are different from the Super HL5. The HL5 uses Audax tweeter while the SHL5 uses SEAS tweeter, and the Audax tweeter has been out of production for many years. It is comprehensible since the HL5 Mk2 ended production in 1979/80. The Mk1 was even older, production probably ended even before you were born. That may explain their cheap prices in the market, not to mention some other parts such as complex crossovers and few other things are improved over the years and carried over to the current SHL5. If any parts fail, one may need to use non-original parts to replace the faulty item.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by dixchen Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:00 pm

Prices of Harbeth are fortunately cheaper in KL than Singapore thus the only reason why he wanted 4k sing used.

I remembered the last time I called Tropical it was at 8.9k too.

My view is, I mean this is purely mine, that if you want decent bass extension always go with the 8 incher's thus the Compact 7's or if the room allows it SHL 5's. I mean being an avid Harbeth fan, any Harbeths will sound good irrespective of the model.

I play the C7's in my room that only has an effective listening area of 12 x 13 and its perfect.

Then again if you're really really interested on a pair of used Harbeths I MAY be selling mine, not sure yet ( it's a very reluctant sale) as I have moved to Single Ended big triode amps using the 211 that will require a sensitivity of above 92db for decent volume and efficiency.

But at the same time, I am only running 18W on my push/pull No NFB 6550 tube amp now with plenty of volume now so the Harbeth's may still sound good on the SET amp that I am waiting for to arrive next week. Only 16W to play with.

Someone once told me that SET amps play fine on the Harbeth's as well as its impedance dips/peaks are tube friendly, 8 ohms min and above.

IN any case the HArbeth's are relatively easy to drive IMO.

Yea many times I have been tempted to ask the Rock Corner guys at parade if they wanted to sell the speakers as they were black. Laughing

dixchen
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by bak mei Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:57 pm

How would Harbeth speakers fare with Exposure amps?
Regards,
Sivaguru

Hi Siva
My brother bought an Exposure 2010 integrated amp sometime back and i briefly tried it on my compact 7es-2. i can confirm that its a very good match and i am very impressed with the Exposure esp considering its down to earth price.

bak mei

Number of posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by annshu88 Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:34 am

i will getting my Super HL-5 after the hifi show Razz matching with Naim XS Intergrated Amp

annshu88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Burrp2001 Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:16 pm

bak mei wrote:
How would Harbeth speakers fare with Exposure amps?
Regards,
Sivaguru

Hi Siva
My brother bought an Exposure 2010 integrated amp sometime back and i briefly tried it on my compact 7es-2. i can confirm that its a very good match and i am very impressed with the Exposure esp considering its down to earth price.

Hi there,
Maybe its due to the similarity between an Exposure 2010 integrated and a LFD Zero Mk III LE integrated amp, ie. both of these amps are "all passive components and MOSFETs-based output" amplifiers Question Hmmm,...... scratch

Burrp2001
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Calling Owners Of Harbeth Speakers - Page 2 Empty RPG OMNIFFUSORS

Post by Clarisa09 Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:02 pm

Dear All,

After reading your discussion, i found you are looking for RPG OMNIFFUSORS which we are manufacturing in China. We have full range of RPG diffusors here, we also do export.

For OMNIFFUSORS, we have different choice, such as MDF with painting, MDF with veneer and painted finished, hardwood OMNIFFUSORS and so on.

Pls feel free to call me if you need them. Contact: Clarisa Tel: 0086-13610163942.

We also have agent in Malaysia.

Clarisa
MSN: sdmidea@hotmail.com

Clarisa09

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarisa09 Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:05 pm

Lamkochai wrote:how much is a piece of rpg omniffusors? where to buy it? any photos?
thanks in advance.
We have different choice for this item, just tell us what you need! Email: clarisa09@163.com

Clarisa09

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_vic Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:55 pm

Hi guys, ceiling mounting of panels for sound treatments to room very tricky work. I used thin wires across to hold them in place so that it doesn't drop down, it works, u may want to work with a ladder, it's much easier.

PM me if u want to know more of how to mount them. Most dealers will supply the panels with double sided stickers or even glue it up permanently(if your wife don't mind Calling Owners Of Harbeth Speakers - Page 2 Icon_lol ) But the heat (especially for listen room on the top floor) will bring it down some day!

uncle_vic
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by grantorino Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:18 am

Dear All Harbeth Owner,

I'm planning to buy c7es3 but haven't decided to match with which amp and cdp. My budget is below 7k for both item, pls recommend the ideal match for the speakers and where to buy.
Thanks for reading. Calling Owners Of Harbeth Speakers - Page 2 Icon_cheers

grantorino

Number of posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by CN Yee Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:49 pm

I believe that C7ES3 is 7XXX - so your budget may not be sufficient.

However - C7 is a fantastic speakers and would sing beautifully even if you are using a cheap amplifier.

I brought my C7 a few months ago - and had consider getting a replacement for my Denon AVR. But the speaker change has already made a night and day difference. So as times goes by I more or less put the idea of upgrading my AVR to rest.

My suggestion is to get the C7 first and worry about the rest later.

If anything at all - try to improve your room acoustics first. It will have a much more impact to the sound than the amplifier. My living room is quite terrible in terms of room acoustics - and there is not much I could do about it because of wife factor. That is another reason the put me off in getting a new amplifier. But that is no stopping for me enjoying my music.

CN Yee
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by grantorino Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:29 pm

Dear CNyee,
Thanks for reading my post, actually the 7k budget is for the AMP n CDP. Total budget is 14K. Other than quad which combination of AMP n CDP u would suggest.
Thanks.

grantorino

Number of posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next