Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

soul searching...

+3
Y.C.
elhefe
bal
7 posters

Go down

soul searching... Empty soul searching...

Post by bal Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:32 am

It's a little past midnight, and i am grateful to have a room to listen music in that does not leak sound into the bedrooms, or intrude into the neighbours space and ears. Everyone else at home is asleep, but i am sleepless, and just cannot put the music down.

For something happened to me today, something that should have happened a long time ago, but didn't. I was invited by a very very pleasant gentleman (who will want to remain nameless, and so, shall) to listen to his set up. The room was the living room in a double story terrace house in a nice neighbourhood, and the set up was in the hall. Apart from a familiar Accustic Revive, there was no room treatment at all. Well, none apart from the rows and rows of LP records. Planar based system, taller than me. Fm and Emotiva electronics. And it blew me away.

So much authority, so much musicality, no bass over hang (ie very tight, taunt bass) no sibilance. No depth either but nice and wide. And so transparent that if you wore that transparency in public, you would get arrested for indecent exposure. sigh. A system to die for.

But what made the evening special was the kindness and honesty of this nameless gentleman. For he suggested to me that i was perhaps too wrapped up or hung up on the 'hifiness' of it all, and perhaps the pursuit of depth and sound stage and other terms found only to 'hifi' that do not exist when you listen to a voice and guitar and piano or drum kit or saxophone in real life, music vibrating in real life, perhaps these artificial terms were costing me much in terms of musical fidelity. Musical Fidelity. That's a new term i heard, quite different from hi-fidelity that i am so used to. He suggested a few things, some of them were readily do-able in my far humbler set up in my humble home.

And so i sit here, after implementing a few small changes. i have far less bass now,but what bass i have is stunning in it's honesty, power, and control. The soundstage is still there, dept now becomes meaningless, but the music steps out of the speakers like genies out of magic bottles. It hangs in front of me, presenting itself in the most honest way, and i cannot say no, so ... so here i sit, well past my bed time, for tomorrow is a working day. No, TODAY is a working day. But if anything, at least the Mayan's reminded us that life is short, and some things are worth loosing some sleep over. I'm listening to the most honest presentation of ABBA i have ever heard in my life. Goodness, they are one very musical group. No, i won't talk of the quality of the pressing, if it is bass light or treble heavy, for right now, the music is perfect, and my heart cannot stop singing along. Wait a minute, isn't that what it is all about? To make the heart sing? Wow.

Take care guys, thanks for being with me on my Audio journey. I'm leaving hifi behind now, and moving in to mufi... musical fidelity. Or i may be plain loosing my mind. But i don't think so... I've never felt more sane, as i feel at this moment. Abba says hi.

Bal

bal

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac
Amplification: conrad Johnson, Oddessy Khartago mono b
Speakers: maggie 1.7

Back to top Go down

soul searching... Empty Re: soul searching...

Post by elhefe Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:40 am

It sounds like a wake up call Smile

What you are referring to is Anthony Michaelson's principle when he designed his first commercial amplifier....hence the name stuck as his brand Musical Fidelity.

I too am awake as I am busy cleaning a stack of old gems I just acquired from bro Acai today. I am playing one LP after another for the past 3 hours. And like you, is just shear pleasure that you can stop playing it.

Congrats on your new found fidelity.

soul searching... Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Y.C. Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:49 pm

bal wrote: ...the pursuit of depth and sound stage and other terms found only to 'hifi' that do not exist when you listen to a voice and guitar and piano or drum kit or saxophone in real life, music vibrating in real life...

How very true indeed! I concur with you 100% Smile

Y.C.
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post by kamfei0512 Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:59 pm

Hi bal,

Remember that "small little piece of metal" that you sold me earlier?
Well, it puts a smile on my face and thank you for allowing me to share some better musics at an affordable price.

Back to your story...
Glad you achieve(d) your nirvana.

Every other night, mostly 12, I would sneak out of my room and go to living room, power up my gears and listen to some music (sorry, no rock n roll in this hours, just some plain vocals and instruments Very Happy).

I am not as lucky as you are to have a proper space for hifi.
I, for myself sure don't have any prestigious pieces of equipments nor I will ever get a chance to own one.

But for one thing that thrills me : the interaction with the sound reproduction.
The atmosphere where music filling up the space around you despite some shortcomings here and there but no worry, they are expected.
Nobody is perfect, so as machines.

If one can live past these shortcomings, then most things, if not all, would fall into their places and you'll have yourself a happy face and a happy sound (and of course a sound sleep)!

You reminded me to sneak out again tonight after 12 to have some Christmas "celebration" Razz

Merry Christmas to all,
Leong
kamfei0512
kamfei0512
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2011-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Audio Alchemy DDS II + DDE v1.1, Google Chromecast Audio
Amplification: Arcam FMJ A19
Speakers: Audio Physic Tempo 25

Back to top Go down

soul searching... Empty To Each His Own

Post by Wikin Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:29 pm

That's my take on hi-fi after dabbling it long enough and being exposed to many other setups of different price range and personal hi-fi skill set .

Everyone has their own hi-fi journey, sound preference, expectations AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, Capability to make the sound happen.

To put it into an automobile analogy, I own a Honda Civic 1.8 so as many other individuals do. How do I use it? As a reliable and economical form of transportation .

Should I impose other young punks who own the same model, PLEASE REMOVE ALL YOUR SPORT RIMS, ALL YOUR HIGH TAILS, ALL YOUR LOWERED SPRINGS, just because I can't afford to do so?

No right????

So to each his own... just like hifi.

cheers everybody. Very Happy
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Character sheet
Source(s): PC Audio
Amplification: Tri Amping Active
Speakers: High Eff Open Baffle

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:19 pm

Bal...

Good to know that you were introduce to music from a different angle without all those hifi jargons.....plain and simple deliverable. At times most of us get lost chasing the unexpected.....to which i am guilty of as well. And my other half gave me a unfiltered view of what she thinks of music....being plain, simple, mesmerising to ones ears.

That worked...and music being played from my setup is just music the way it's preferred by me and my better half.

Am more into chasing the software portion....being LP's and CD's that we prefer. Lastly thanks for sharing and giving a unfiltered perspective in a nice way.

To each their own....have fun and enjoy the journey......

Cheers Very Happy
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 855
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by puchongvinyl Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:42 pm

It is me humble opinion that ye should be into hifi because ye is, first & foremost, a music lover, not vise versa . . .

Happy holidays everyone!

ps: Taking advantage of the fact that next door neighbours balik kampung to do some serious blasting! Playing rite now Rush's A Show of Hands (complete with me out of tune singing/howling) & me throwing all sorts of rock poses in the privacy of me home . . . Laughing

puchongvinyl
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:59 pm

It is my humble opinion that one should be into hifi because one is, first & foremost, in love with beautiful sound reproduction . . .

A pure music lover like my mom and dad who are baby boomers, are satisfied with a JVC mini compo playing lite-n-easy FM. Penty of wonderful songs there..

Cool

cheers.
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Character sheet
Source(s): PC Audio
Amplification: Tri Amping Active
Speakers: High Eff Open Baffle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down