Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Amplifier - Bias Adjustment.

3 posters

Go down

Amplifier - Bias Adjustment. Empty Amplifier - Bias Adjustment.

Post by STC Mon May 12, 2014 12:46 pm

Hello DIYers,

Can someone help me to get the correct reading of the bias voltage? According to my manual the measured value should be 22mV across the emitter. The trouble is the reading changes when I leave the probe connected for about half an hour. Generally, it rises to 30mV. (Note: Amplifier was left on for more than 24 hours before adjustments made).

I am told that the value fluctuates due to EMI interference and temperature but at what point should I even consider that the reading is correct?

Thanks in advance.
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2010-08-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Ambiophonics setup.
Amplification:
Speakers: Electrostatics

https://stchelvam.wixsite.com/ambiophonics3dstereo

Back to top Go down

Amplifier - Bias Adjustment. Empty Re: Amplifier - Bias Adjustment.

Post by mthoi Wed May 28, 2014 4:13 pm

Hi STC,  you would need to provide more information or circuit diagram/project you are benchmarking.

For example, in my earlier DIY PASS Aleph and F5 projects, the bias voltage measurement for the transistors at different  time has different values - probably due to item heating up after extended use, or mains voltage fluctuations (if the PSU is not regulated, transformer heats up, etc), EMI (by fixing a probe to the emitter, it would have effected the reading due to leads inductance, etc.).  I also have several voltmeters that measures to different level of accuracy and produces different readings.  

Bias voltage on my tube amp projects has shown greater variance. 

Earlier I was perhaps more particular to "perfection" on specs.  Now, I accept that electronic parts are within " a tolerence range". That includes voltage readings.  

Personally, I would say a 10mV variance range after more than say 30 min warm up, as "OK"; and over 24 hrs as "very good".  

I have a few cold brews and everything is more acceptable.

mthoi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Marantz SAKI Pearl, Michell Gyro, Garrard 401, Lenco L75, Technics SL1200II
Amplification: c3g/F2a + C3m/300b PP biamp, 26 Preamp, 76 Preamp + 2A3/845, c3o/300b, Quad 34/606
Speakers: Harbeth SHL5, Altec A7 288-8G/1505B VOTT + JBL 2404H, Tyler Acoustics + Altec 288/Jabo Horns

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed May 28, 2014 8:49 pm

MTHOI, 

Thank you very much for your post. That is the most comprehensive answer so far that I can find. I remeasured the bias of the Classe Amp connected to my voltage stabiliser and they are more stable.

The one point I am still uncertain is whether to take reading immediately or wait for a few seconds? When I turn on my Sanwa DMM it would show 22mV but after one minute it would gradually rise around 26mV ; leaving them(DMM) for 24 hours it would still show 26mV and occasionally up to 30mV.

Should the correct reading taken immediately or after about 1 minute? If I were to bring down the bias to 22mV after 1 minute I find the sound'a bit dull and Amp is bit cold.

I think at 26mV the sound is to my liking but the amp is warmer than it should be. With load it may shoot up way above 30.
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by cslim Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:39 pm

Hi STC,
Normally the correct reading should taken after the temperature of the amp stabilize, about 5 minutes or above.
During measure the bias reading, you should not connect any load and no signal input too.

If 26mV is to your liking, just keep to this value. I think it is still a safe value (guess so since I do not know your amp's design).
What happened when you adjust to higher bias is that your amp will be bias to more class A behavior (assume that ur amp is class AB design). That explain why ur amp is warmer than it should be after you increase the bias. Care should be taken not to adjust too high the bias as you amp might not design to operate in such operating condition.

cslim
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2013-06-22

Character sheet
Source(s): Onkyo NS-6170 Network Audio Player, ES9018 DIY DAC
Amplification: Rotel RC-971 Pre, RB-971 Power
Speakers: JBL L65

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:50 pm

Thank you, CS Lim. 

The bias reaches 26mV at equilibrium no matter what value I put. Classe emailed me to set it at 22mV after 20 minutes of warm up. 

Thanks again for your input.
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by cslim Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:14 am

No problem, you are welcome.

cslim
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2013-06-22

Character sheet
Source(s): Onkyo NS-6170 Network Audio Player, ES9018 DIY DAC
Amplification: Rotel RC-971 Pre, RB-971 Power
Speakers: JBL L65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down