Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Open Reel (or Reel to Reel) tape deck anyone?

+2
cmboy
CLH
6 posters

Go down

Open Reel (or Reel to Reel) tape deck anyone? Empty Open Reel (or Reel to Reel) tape deck anyone?

Post by CLH Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:39 pm

Hi,

Anyone out there still playing music on your vintage Reel to Reel tape deck? I have recently restored mine after putting in hours of work but still got plenty more to do before it can really shine. In the past, even professional studio recordings were done on tape before being transferred into other formats.

I find that it has its own merits despite the shortfalls and being very cumbersome & messy to handle (worse than vinly LPs). For a start, it is analogue all the way just like LP and it does not suffer from surface noise (click& pops) of records. The faint hiss (when no music) at 15 ips speed is barely heard only via headphones. The frequency response of 20 Hz to 30kHz (@ 15ips) is better than CD although s/n ratio is worse than CD. For comparison, the standard music cassette which most of us above 35 yrs old are familiar with is running at only 1-7/8 inch per second. Actual listening I find the high freq (treble) much more natural than CDs.

If you have, or come across, in your village, in your attic or basement, such old tape decks or metal reel (or spool) of tape and want to dispose them, please pm me, as I want to keep this "hobby" alive. Thanks
CLH
CLH
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2009-06-14

Character sheet
Source(s): Tape, Vinyl, CD, SACD, digital streaming
Amplification: Musical Fidelity, Mark Levinson, Audio Research Ref110
Speakers: Wilson Audio Sophia II, Apogee miniGrand

Back to top Go down

Open Reel (or Reel to Reel) tape deck anyone? Empty Re: Open Reel (or Reel to Reel) tape deck anyone?

Post by cmboy Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:02 pm

Hello,
I own an Akai entry level tape deck, haven't played it for quite a while. I did recondition it to get it going and had fun with it for quite a while, considering I only have a handful of original tape albums bought from Ebay many years ago. The motor belt is not in great condition either and yet to source for a replacement.
My own findings after sometime is the limitation is the deck itself on sound quality and its frequency response depending on how good the internal preamp circuitry is and the overall condition of the tape head. I felt it won't out perform a decent LP turntable rig. Perhaps thats what I've concluded for the time being. You're advised not to take my view as fact.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Open Reel (or Reel to Reel) tape deck anyone? Empty Re: Open Reel (or Reel to Reel) tape deck anyone?

Post by Cooltube Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:23 pm

Hiya,
Tapes record whatever is it from source. Garbage in garbage out with some minute loss of signal and hiss. Nevertheless it's still a great format to store lp tracks therefore analogue to analogue. Can you still get blank tapes nowadays and from where?
Cooltube
Cooltube
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzy939 Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:08 am

Since I set my eyes on a Technics open reel a long time ago, I wanted to have one when I grow up... but I have gave up of getting one here in 'bolehland'.. maybe someday.. heck I can always dream, right? Wink

jazzy939
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by CLH Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:22 am

Hi,
There are still some hard core fans out there (not in Malaysia though) and some still use tapes for their system demos in audio shows (and are "best-in-show" category). Some say this full analgoue source sounds better (subjective) than 24bit/192kHz digital. But then you need at least 15 inch per second decks. I m glad I got one SONY TC-766-2 with 15ips capability and in the process of restoration work.

Those who got 15 ips decks and want to get the best sound from their decks, or just for your reading pleasure visit :

http://www.tapeproject.com/

The tapes transferred from master tapes and analogue all the way, are not cheap but just goes to show at what great lengths people indulge in their "hobby".

Cheers! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
CLH
CLH
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2009-06-14

Character sheet
Source(s): Tape, Vinyl, CD, SACD, digital streaming
Amplification: Musical Fidelity, Mark Levinson, Audio Research Ref110
Speakers: Wilson Audio Sophia II, Apogee miniGrand

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:25 am

CLH,
Good hobby !!! Keep it up !!! Open Reel to Reel Tape are " the order of the day ' during those 70's and 80's !!! They were being used in Recording Studios Radio and Television Staion all over the world before the arrival of Digital Format. Given the Bigger surface area where the " sound " are stored in the Magnetic Tape and the Faster speed it operate on against the Cassette Tape,
the Open Reel to Reel is ofcourse more Superior. But since it is expensive and
Bulky, it was only used for Professional Recording (Those days )
You will not believe the Prices being put up in ebay USA....Expensive...
anyway keep up your hobby. I am sure there are still many around in Bolehland
especially from those Radio Station. Try to contact those Radio Station or
former Radio Station staff incase they know where those Gadgets were sold
off or even still kept in their " To be Tender out " old equipment.
FYI, Vintage Hi Fi (anything Sound & Vision) are a " Big time Hobby " in
USA, Canada, and Germany and they have their Dedicated Webs and actual
Shop dealing in those items.
Open Reel (or Reel to Reel) tape deck anyone? Icon_santa Open Reel (or Reel to Reel) tape deck anyone? Icon_santa
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:39 am

Addition....Its just like those 70mm Celluloid Cinema Film used in Cinemas in the USA. And below that, the 35mm is commonly used in Cinemas all around the World. Next below that is the 8mm which is only for Hobbyist Cinematograhper.... So the Logic of it is " The bigger the surface area, and the Faster the speed it uses, the Better " (Analogue Format) While in Digital Format, " Size doesn't Matter " (Except in Storage term like the more the Gigs the better)
Open Reel (or Reel to Reel) tape deck anyone? Icon_santa Open Reel (or Reel to Reel) tape deck anyone? Icon_santa Open Reel (or Reel to Reel) tape deck anyone? Icon_santa
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:13 am

Open Reel (or Reel to Reel) tape deck anyone? Img_2211

Quite a long time react as sleeping beuty...yesterday nite spins 2 albums from the greatest Cool
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1293
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down