Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

DIY Power Cord & Power Filter

+14
JSoo1
WongKN
mugenfoo
samn
carz
adrian4454
tycham
kwwong
bal
bassraptor
sph
noodle88
wingman
ngkimsoon
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

DIY Power Cord & Power Filter - Page 2 Empty Re: DIY Power Cord & Power Filter

Post by WongKN Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:15 am

Now this is what I call good governance.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by JSoo1 Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:29 am

I would like to see if anyone have done this before.

For IEC and Plug head, those that can fit large diameter wire, why not try this (disclaimer, try only at own risk)

For smaller diameter power cord ie those 8mm, we can fit 2 into the IEC/Plug body and wire accordingly. This in a sense, double the wire size, 1mm become 2mm as 2 cable (8mm+8mm) into one IEC/plug that can fit cable above 16mm.

Secondly, we can mix different type of wire material, ie copper with tin-plated copper or silver-plated copper or silver wire. This can be done my putting in 2 different power cord, provided can fit as different power cord could be different diameter.

Finally, we can put single cable run for each live, neutral and earth (If can fit) with different material, cable etc etc....

Maybe this will yield different results as there have been saying different power cord different sound. If mixed up, could we get the best of both or the worse of both?

I done one with Supra Lorad - tinned copper (the thin one, thick one too thick) with Belden - copper and look like I am getting the best of both world. Anyway, its a DIY for the sake of experimenting as I got extra IEC/Plug to play with.

Just Dua Cent.
JSoo1
JSoo1
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Character sheet
Source(s): Flatbox with LaserHead (inside)
Amplification: Heavy Blackbox with knobs (outside)
Speakers: Brownbox with hole (front)

Back to top Go down

Post by solid_snake Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:23 am

Do anyone happen to know where can i purchase Rifa RC Cap in Malaysia? I know RS component and Farnell do have but with minumum order of 5, i need only one or two. Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

solid_snake
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:07 pm

Hi lads, (A)rigato. Pot-fulls of good karma to you all, dudes. May the public holiday today in honor of our new fine Royal dudeness (bows deeply from the waist in honor of our Royal Dudeness ) allow you some cosy R&R with family and/or music.
i was just going thro some old threads on our fine forum, and came across this one. And i noticed that no one actually shared how to make a DIY home made power cable.
I want to try and make one for my cd player and DAC. Could anyone who has made some nice sounding power cable for the above equipment share the actual how to do? What cable did you use, were to source, what termination and what brand and where to get, and any shielding, or any magic oils to rub on (joke) or anything else that you used to make magic sounding cables, DIY in your own home kitchen table(well, any place of your home actually, not necessary the kitchen table lah!)
Would be great if can share dudes!
Many thanks, salutations and deep Japanese style bows to you all who are about to reply (like, like AC-DC's album title you know... 'for those about to rock, we salute you'!! So for those about to reply, I salute you!!)
So, ok, time to take my pills.
Aah, that's better. Where am i? HOw did i get here? Is anybody OUt TheRe??

Bal. sunny

bal

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac
Amplification: conrad Johnson, Oddessy Khartago mono b
Speakers: maggie 1.7

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:20 am

Hey, no worry man; I will answer you.

Guess no one really bother now about this tweak and that anymore. I once had itchy buntut symptom that led me into this.

But 1 think you need to keep in mind. No matter how hard we try on making our DIY power cord; it will never reach the snake oil capability on those reputable one. Those cable, IEC plug or socket we can buy of the shelf to make a power cord will not really bring us very far(except that you want to use those outrageous plug that cost 1k or more, will it justify?) Heck, in the end of each process, a simple 5 star what hifi cord most likely could easily out perform what we can make.

What u may have purchased; could be a special made in some ways, could be: the live terminal is silver coated, the whole power cord is cryogenic treated, additional shielding, passive damping, active filter circuit build in, and so on of snake charming treatment.

Because when things running on analog, all microphonic come into play. Like it or not, the snake oil cabling causing 1k or more, works; in an unexplained way~

So, after all these rubbishes, I never got myself into making a power cord for my hifi.

In case, this doesnt cure ur itch, let me know what is your budget and what u intend to achieve?

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:59 am

Yes, im 100% agree with u, Adrian.
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Turntable
Amplification: Tube gear
Speakers: High sensitivity speaker

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:20 pm

Oh, 1 thing I discovered too. It depends on equipment; the Audio GD DAC that I had, runs on Class A power; doesnt seem to show any different in sound when I change power cord between the Wireworld and The Copper-line. But it is very audible effect for the amp.

As they said, a better build equipment will have lesser effect over power cord. But again, maybe a better resolution equipment down the chain can after all hear the differences. This at the moment, doesnt apply to me. So at least idea of changing power cord for better sound on the DAC part is put to rest~.

Last edited by adrian4454 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar)

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:00 am

My amplifier didn't respond to any of the power cords I leashed it up to until a DIY cord made it into my listening arena.

Now I have a pair of these cords, made by a Hong Kong sifu, acquired via a friend of mine (I paid for parts and materiel only) and now my phono amp and integrated amp are now properly tethered.

Detailed yet musical. Very musical. Very nice, very tasty, organic ajinomoto and good value for what they are.
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Character sheet
Source(s): RegaPlanar3 w DenonDL103
Amplification: Exposure 2010s2
Speakers: SonusFaberToyTower

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi jedi, dont mind telling how much u paid for the hong kong sifu power cord? And what iec socket and plug he used? How about the cable? Trying to steal the recipe Very Happy

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:21 pm

JediSavant wrote:My amplifier didn't respond to any of the power cords I leashed it up to until a DIY cord made it into my listening arena.

Now I have a pair of these cords, made by a Hong Kong sifu, acquired via a friend of mine (I paid for parts and materiel only) and now my phono amp and integrated amp are now properly tethered.

Detailed yet musical. Very musical. Very nice, very tasty, organic ajinomoto and good value for what they are.
Jedi, kit sea nah loi ngah ger thiam oh? Ngah deal oi sze nyah ger power cord.
htkaki
htkaki
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 674
Registration date : 2009-01-22

http://www.htkaki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:06 pm

Htkaki... Mao moon tee... Ngai kon ha itchak weekend kited Mao...

Adrian, i have no idea what brand of plugs or types of cable etc. Just that the cord are made from a blend of parts sourced from Canada and Japan. The cost is very very reasonable.
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Character sheet
Source(s): RegaPlanar3 w DenonDL103
Amplification: Exposure 2010s2
Speakers: SonusFaberToyTower

Back to top Go down

Post by Rajacatur Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:37 am

An interesting read on the merits of various power cords.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/219202/its-done-power-cord-shoot-out-22-power-cords-reviewed

Rajacatur
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-04-17

Character sheet
Source(s): Linn Sondek LP12/Cirkus/Ittok LVII/Benz Glider SL/Armadeddon/Naim CD5i-2
Amplification: Pipit 22L/NAC72/Hicap/NAP250
Speakers: Proac Response D18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2