Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

DIY Balanced Power Conditioner

4 posters

Go down

DIY Balanced Power Conditioner Empty DIY Balanced Power Conditioner

Post by mthoi Thu May 05, 2011 4:08 pm

Wondering if anyone have DIYed a balanced power conditioner? I would like to get some feedbacks and compare notes on the quality and values of components used.

I am currently planning based on the following components :-
- 2.5 KVA z11 power transformer from Prometheus Audio
- 0.1uf Solen 630V film capacitors
- Schaffner EM/RFI filter + surge protector -10A

I have not decided on the IEC sockets. Any feedbacks on vendors/brands would be appreciated.

mthoi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Marantz SAKI Pearl, Michell Gyro, Garrard 401, Lenco L75, Technics SL1200II
Amplification: c3g/F2a + C3m/300b PP biamp, 26 Preamp, 76 Preamp + 2A3/845, c3o/300b, Quad 34/606
Speakers: Harbeth SHL5, Altec A7 288-8G/1505B VOTT + JBL 2404H, Tyler Acoustics + Altec 288/Jabo Horns

Back to top Go down

DIY Balanced Power Conditioner Empty Re: DIY Balanced Power Conditioner

Post by adrian4454 Thu May 05, 2011 4:51 pm

IEC Socket, There are quite a lot u can choice from RS Component. There are those that come ready with EM/RFI filter as well. All good quality stuff, include the Schaffner version you are talking about.

IMO, if you are looking for Schaffner dedicated filter, you should look for at least 16A rating. So the Inductor and Cap inside is less of a resistive load on the incoming current.

The Solen cap, u plan to use it as a Noise supressor between Life and Neutral? Caution, you should look for something of a Class X rating instead.

Interested to see your builts.. Hope u can share... but not in public; not everyone can take it here.

Have thought of doing something like this.. Other than risking myself to fatal shock and having things blown up in high fashion, the overall components for this DIY aint cheap at all. Most important of all aint skillful/knowledgable enough to get it done properly.

Hmm.. the IEC socket, do u mean something like this instead:
http://malaysia.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=489425

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by mthoi Thu May 05, 2011 5:35 pm

Hi Adrian, Tx for the feedback and pointer to rs-online. I am buying stuff from both RS & Farnell for this project.

I am also considering PS audio permium receptacle at ebay @ USD70/pc (dual).

I am probably quite OK with DIY as I have build my own tube amps, and have a few "shocking" moments at 415v DC - hair raising and smell of burnt skin. After that, developed new respect and perspective on workbench safety. Reg.

mthoi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): Marantz SAKI Pearl, Michell Gyro, Garrard 401, Lenco L75, Technics SL1200II
Amplification: c3g/F2a + C3m/300b PP biamp, 26 Preamp, 76 Preamp + 2A3/845, c3o/300b, Quad 34/606
Speakers: Harbeth SHL5, Altec A7 288-8G/1505B VOTT + JBL 2404H, Tyler Acoustics + Altec 288/Jabo Horns

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Thu May 05, 2011 5:55 pm

Which version will u be buying the the UK BS1363 or the US version?

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mthoi Thu May 05, 2011 6:19 pm

At present - the US version. I would also diy some new power cables as well.

mthoi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Fri May 06, 2011 10:49 am

Hi Hoi,
I've got a bunch of Hubbell AC plugs, Hubbell receptacles and connectors. Do PM me if you're keen. Can let go lock stock. It was purchased initially for a power distribution but I got the PSAudio instead.

cheers.
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Character sheet
Source(s): PC Audio
Amplification: Tri Amping Active
Speakers: High Eff Open Baffle

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Fri May 06, 2011 10:22 pm

Since you are looking for US version of IEC socket, I suggest u give partsconnexion.com a visit. They have ACME, HUBBBELL, Furutech and the crazy expensive Oyaide.. and many more.

I order some small stuffs from them before. They are reliable.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mthoi Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:29 pm

I got my DIY balanced power conditioner working and have been using it for the last 2 weeks. Thought I would share some of my personal experience.

I started by having a Schaffner EM/RFI filter before the power plug - and it provided perceptible improvement in sound - clarity and soundstage. I thought it sounded a bit "lean" as well. For less than RM 100, I though that was a very good investment.

I then received my balanced power transformer (0-240v primary, secondaries 120v-0-120v output) from Prometheus audio after a month wait. With both the balanced power transformer and the em/rfi filter, it seems to have improved the "lean" sound with better bass and still retain the earlier improvement in clarity.

I would further experiment with an additional filter stage before the transformer and other line filter caps to see if there are any sonic improvement/difference. And experimenting with different power cords as well. And perhaps do some sonic comparison with commercial power conditioners?

Overall, I think the filter provided the best value for money invested.

mthoi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by carz Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:00 pm

mthoi,
For DIY power cables, try LoRad 2.5 Screened Mains Flex, Patented.
http://www.jenving.se/?p=lorad

available from A&L Audio Station

carz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2010-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:52 pm

Hi mthoi,
Congras~. Anyway need to be very extra careful.. as you are dealing with high current constantly.

Hi Carz,
I always wonder, how exactly the aluminum foil shield will be terminated/connected for those cables with such shielding. It seems you can open-end terminated, where it is connected at only 1 end to ground. Or completely lifted; where it is not connected to anything. How do you see it, if it is not LoRad method of grounding?

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by carz Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:08 pm

mthoi,
safe bench practices, very important.

1) always Power OFF amps before you connect probes to do measurements whenever you can. Used clip on probes whenever possible. Probes like http://www.parrot-invent.com/

2) Discharge the capacitors (especially high voltage related) before you handle the equipment.

3) Use a PDL Elimit RCD Adapter (10mA) (CAT number 1951) for protection.
This reduces your risk, but remember it does NOT eliminate the risk. A certain amount of dangerous current need to pass through you before the RCD trips.

Read the following:-

Safety in electrical testing at work
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg354.pdf

Safety in electrical testing: Servicing and repair of audio, TV and computer equipment. Engineering Information Sheet EIS36 HSE Books 2002
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/eis36.pdf

Electrocution & How To Avoid It
http://sound.westhost.com/articles/electrocution.htm#s1

Last edited by carz on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:38 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : additional info)

carz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by carz Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:31 pm

adrian4454,
If you talking about interconnects, there are some cable manufacturers who recommend terminating one side to avoid ground loop problems.

Or you could do it semi-balanced as recommended by Jenvin below.
Semi-balanced connection with RCA plugs
http://www.jenving.se/?p=tables

carz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Hi Carz,
I am talking about the power cable here. It is not clearly define or maybe I am not knowledgable enough...

But looking into equipment, it seems RFI can be reduced through shield that doesnt necessary be grounded.

So for you, which you believe is the best practice?

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mthoi Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:29 pm

Hi Carz, thank you for the reminder and caution on electricity. I have my share of close shaves in my DIY experience - especially in building tube amps. After every experience, the respect gets more & more healthy. I now make a point NOT to work on high voltage projects when tired.

Adrian, I understand the recommendation is to connect the tin-foil/shield to the ground at the 3-pin plug end.

mthoi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down