Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

CAT 5 / CAT 6 Lan Speaker Cables

3 posters

Go down

CAT 5 / CAT 6 Lan Speaker Cables Empty CAT 5 / CAT 6 Lan Speaker Cables

Post by wingman Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi...

A matter of experimentation and to kill my curiosity I had to try this out...utilizing LAN cables as speakers cables in a BiWired configuration. Utilizing ferrite magnets placed...3 inch from the end point at both ends. And a slightly larger ferrite magnet exactly at mid point of the cables.

The cables were used on a as is basis...no braiding, padding, aluminium foil-ing.....but that would be the next stage. Will take a "phase" approach in upgrading the LAN cables.

Sonic quality....not too bad...was slightly on the sharp end of the sonic curve.......but there were slight improvements after a few days of continous use but reckon there should be a burn in period. ( thats over the weekend use )

I am liking to what I am able to derive off this cable....for the time "The Transparent speakers cables are getting a well earned break from duties....Smile .

CAT 5 / CAT 6 Lan Speaker Cables Cat5

The CAT5 / CAT6 is still part of your current setup Question

More so...it's not costing me an arm and a leg to experiment this configuration.

cheers Very Happy
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 855
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

CAT 5 / CAT 6 Lan Speaker Cables Empty Re: CAT 5 / CAT 6 Lan Speaker Cables

Post by atoz Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:02 pm

Out of curiosity after reading much reviews about the CAT5, i have made my own 8 feet pair last year to do an experiment on my own system. Basic braided and twisted with 8 pairs running per channel.

Honestly speaking, i got a shock! i thought something was wrong with my connections "where is the bass?". Maybe i didn't have enough wire count to allow the bass signal to travel to the speakers, but i do agree that the mids are not bad considering the price that i pay for it. Concluded that it was not my cup of tea as i can't live without bass in my speakers.

Happy DIYing!Very Happy
atoz
atoz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:25 am

Atoz...

Thanks...Atoz.....

Exactly to your point as well....curiosity got the better of us....to know the difference....on my system...it evens out....very nicely....playing a few LP's and Cd's ....the SQ ...to my liking....never the less let it run in for a few weeks....see what I derive out of these FOC cables....next to proceed with padding and sorts....the Ferrite magnets have an influence...

Next stage is to experiment with a thicker gauge cables ....( similar in size to a yearling python )...mounted on wood blocks (DIY-ed)...see what sort of SQ I derive out of it.....

cheers Very Happy
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 855
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rijang Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:55 am

If I may chip in. I DIYed my own sub cable using single strand solid core video cable. Definate improvement in bass, fast and the boominess is gone. Initially left the copper woven and aluminium in place, my sub had hums when the main amp is turned off. removed the outer sheath and screens and again the sound improved and the humis gone. I guess what I'm trying to say is that my experience is consistent what what people are saying on planar asylum where they are using naked thin magnet wire (my next project). In fact some of them are using christmas ribbon as speaker wire.

Rijang
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down