Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

SVS Official Launch in Malaysia

4 posters

Go down

SVS Official Launch in Malaysia Empty SVS Official Launch in Malaysia

Post by htkaki Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:52 pm

One of the most renowned subwoofer manufacturers in USA, SV Sound (www.svsound.com) or better known as SVS will be making its presence felt in Malaysia comes October 2009.

Mr Ron Stimpson, President of SVS will be here to officiate the launching.

Date : 03 October 2009
Time : 12.00p.m.
Venue : Crystal Crown Hotel, Petaling Jaya. Utara 1 room.

The highly acclaimed 13-Ultra subwoofer will be on demo. Being listed as the No. 3 subwoofer in Craigsub List (Feb 2008), US, it just behind Epik Conquest and the chart topping Elemental Design A7-900. It was given the 'Reference Status' by Home Cinema Choice mag, UK and 'Certified and Recommended' by Sound and Vision Mag.

Home Cinema Choice UK review :

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/node/7150

Sound and Vision Mag, US :

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/speakers/3005/svs-mts-home-theater-speaker-system.html

All products will be displayed / demo along with AS-EQ1, subwoofer EQ.

AS-EQ1 review : http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/acoustics/svs-as-eq1-sub-eq

Limited seats are available. Only 100 pax. Door gifts will be given to first 50 pre-registered guests. It's a no obligation event. A 10% discount will be given to all pre-orders on that day. There are lucky draws for buyers too.

To register, please e-mail to svs-msia@htkaki.com or sales@htkaki.com with your name, address, and contact no.

Come and experience LFE!

See you there!
htkaki
htkaki
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 674
Registration date : 2009-01-22

http://www.htkaki.com

Back to top Go down

SVS Official Launch in Malaysia Empty Re: SVS Official Launch in Malaysia

Post by WongKN Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:14 am

How many of you guys attended the event ? I was there but embarassingly was around 10 minutes late. Left the house early but did not expect the traffic in KL to be so bad.

Anyway, the event was a very interesting one for me. The SVS subwoofers certainly lived up to its reputation. I was especially impressed by the EQ box. The cylindrical subwoofers looks like a potential for my AV system as my AV area is not that big and I want an unintrusive sub to replace the low-end made in china one I am currently temporarily using.

The demo was quite well done though the Pioneer Blu-Ray player seems a tad sensitive to less than perfect discs. It is a very refreshing change from the standard HT/AV demo where the tendency of the exhibitor is to crank up the bass in an attempt to impress the audience by overcoming them with overbearing bass. But the SVS demo gave clear and tuneful bass (that's according to my ears of course). In the concert track for e.g., the suspended bass drum was quite audible in the soundtrack. The overall sound was not perfect of course as I have definitely heard better but those were from friends with HT systems orders of magnitude higher end (read : costing several hundreds of thousands of ringgit).

Nevertheless, as a personal preference, I have always felt that movie soundtrack should have a 'larger than real life' bass and sonic impact. When I watch a blockbuster movie, I want to be 'bombarded' by the sound as well as the sight (to an extent), even if I know that it is artificial (unless the movie is not one of those bombastic blockbusters). But I also want clear, tuneful and tight bass, especially the lowest frequency. That's my personal preference when watching movies of course. I hope to be able to check out this aspect of the SVS sub in the future. Unfortunately the MAXX audio showroom seems to be in Seremban.

Now I know how those of you who are not from the Klang Valley feels. SVS Official Launch in Malaysia Icon_biggrin
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mpyw Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:54 am

I thought he was using The Panasonic BD60 as the bluray player?
To get the larger than life LFE feels, just up the Vol/Gain of the sub, and you will get it.
I was sitting on your right hand a row in front with the blue T-shirt :p

mpyw
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:04 am

I thought I saw a Pioneer. But I never really checked out the player so I could have been mistaken.

One of the problems with most cost-effective (read : not insanely priced SVS Official Launch in Malaysia Icon_biggrin ) is that they don't really have the low-frequency extension. Nor the ability to move large amounts of air (very low frequency requires movement of a lot of air). 'Listening' to true low frequency is partly through the ears and partly through the body (as in we can actually feel the air move). Or even the pressure against the ears. Most cost-effective subs 'cheats' by using box resonance to artificially enhance a part of the higher bass frequency, where our ears are more sensitive and this passes off as 'good bass'.

In this sense, perhaps being an 'audiophile' is a bane because audiophiles knows what real low-bass sounds like. The issue is resonance is uncontrolled bass. So when I resort to the vol/gain method of enhancing low-frequency with these subs, I end up with uncontrolled booming, which drowns up the rest of the sound, esp the upper-bass/low-midrange region where a lot of 'information' resides. I tried a number of subs in the price-range I am willing to spend (because I prefer to concentrate most all of my disposable income on the main hifi system, thus the AV system becomes in effect a '2nd child'). This includes some pretty well known names. But in the price-range, all of them are small-ish boxes with small-ish drivers. And all of them boom like crazy and can't deliver real low-bass. The SVS is one of the few exceptions in being a truly sane priced sub which -can- reproduce real low-bass.

I apologise for recognizing you. I am not very good with faces or names. Because if you know that I was sitting there, you must have met me before. Sometimes I do envy people who can meet someone just once and can always remember the face and the name. I have a sort of hit-and-miss record in this task, sometimes able to recognize, other times don't even recall. Unfortunately sometimes this gives the wrong of impression of an 'aloofness', exaggerated by the fact that I am actually a bit of an introvert.

Thanks for sharing.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:35 am

Yes. It was a Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray player. SVS Official Launch in Malaysia Icon_biggrin

One of them can actually feel the air move through his jeans while standing at the back of the room that day.

Pity those people in the next room. hahahahaha...
During their break time at the foyer, one of them actually said that his coffee cup was vibrating in their room. SVS Official Launch in Malaysia Icon_razz

And the Japanese restaurant next door actually did turn up their speaker volume to cope up with the sound generated by the SVS.

Luckily, no one panicked and mistakenly thought it was a tremor from earthquake.
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:34 am

Here are some of the photos of the event.

Product launching by Mr Ron Stimpson.

SVS Official Launch in Malaysia Img_2510

Pic below (From L-->R): PC12-Plus, PB13-Ultra, MTS-01

SVS Official Launch in Malaysia Img_2410

Pic below (From L-->R): MTS-01, PB12-Plus, PC13-Ultra

SVS Official Launch in Malaysia Img_2411
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:34 pm

Yeah, just want to say that the SVS subs are one heck of a value for money product. Sheer physical volume is needed to reproduce the lowest bass frequencies and the size of the SVS subs gives one confidence that those bass coming out are real low bass, not 'fake' resonances based on higher frequency bass notes. The fact that the smallest sub uses a 12-inch driver also lends great credibility to the sub.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:50 pm

I am happy that you like it SVS Official Launch in Malaysia Icon_smile . Yes, I do share the same sentiment with you. At the show, we delibrately calibrated the whole system neutrally. Not running the subs 'Hot'. The AS-EQ1 did the fine tuning of these subs with near perfection. We intend to let them to hear the actual intended recording without colouration (by hitting the subs' vol upwards)

However, it did not go down well with most of them SVS Official Launch in Malaysia Icon_cry . Not their fault as most of us grew up with bass heavy music and delibrate tuned up bass at certain freq point. Morover, it is also personal preference. To 'educate' people about how should a bass really sound, not an easy task to do that.

I admitted that we did have a major flaw; not running in all the loudspeakers and subs for the event. Most of it were right out of the boxes. Could have sounds better if we allow ample time to burn-in. Secondly, the Denon AVR4310 is quite new too, clocking less than 20 hrs or less. I also suspect that the sound being a bit bright could be due to 'insufficient' power of Denon to drive the 5 speakers at near reference level; center, surr and surr back (The front loudspeakers were driven by Rotel RB-1080 2 channel amp).

Nevertheless, I am happy with that event. What we need is to expose them to what a good sub should really sound. It certainly aint the best out there but it still could make others a run for their money.

Maybe we should have a small gathering again when my new shop is ready. Probably calls it 'SVS Onwers Day'. Erm.... hope it does not sound gay. SVS Official Launch in Malaysia Icon_redface
htkaki
htkaki

Number of posts : 674
Registration date : 2009-01-22

http://www.htkaki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down