Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

TUBEEzator on a Marantz CDP(Mod)

Go down

TUBEEzator on a Marantz CDP(Mod) Empty TUBEEzator on a Marantz CDP(Mod)

Post by Naim-ThoR Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:31 am

Why instal a tube stage inside a CDP? another simple method is to use tube buffer [most chinese made CDP has tube buffer at the output stage]but are still not simplified enough to get rid those OPAMPs.Except this one - JOLIDA is different,they are making a pure tube driven CDP[after Dac].
so the main purpose of this Mod is to simpify the signal delivery chain,to cut down bunches of unnecessary circuitry around the DAC chip,too often these circuitry degrade the sound.A much more simple triode tube based circuitry can greatly reduce the number of components and the simplicity mean GOOD sound.
i choose to work on old CDP because it has space[CD40,50,60etc]they come with 2nd best CDM4 Transport mechanism in the world,deadly reliable,even after 25years later,these old chap still running strong man enough to tell you this!!
In the end of the show,You have a reliable player that couple with triode driven output.
The lamphaz[Lampizator] said after the lampization.

"The soundstage becomes twice as wide and twice as deep, and the pleasure of listening increases significantly".

Tubeezator- ...Tastes much like without wearing a kontom and yet without any risk to the plessure.You wan it tubed?

Tube out with Paper OIL Cap.

however this is not a mod for everyone to do himself,this is a high voltage project i am talking 260vDC which i use for the ANode B+, from the biasing curve,this is the spec for linear response,however it could be as low as 150vDC anyway it still hurts.I kena many time at first,luckily still i am still alive to write about this.Very rare it can lead to lethal cases[weak heart].

This is a triode design totem pole design.
6N2 is a noval dual triode tube with pinout identical to 12x7,ECC88,6922 etc
from the image the tube choosen was OTK1 6n2EV russian military spec tube.So the quality of these tubes are absolute free from any human defects.
TUBEEzator on a Marantz CDP(Mod) Otk110
6n2 offer very high gain on paper,they are very good for the Wold's best current output DAC chips - TDA1540 & TDA1541.The russian must have built it with 1541 in mind.
i choose DC heating scheme because to eliminate possible humming issues,this would slightly putting pressure to the costing side.AC Heating scheme is more simple and easier,given the confined space inside CDP,it is most the prefered option by some sifu here.
each triode draws about 0.35Adc,as it heats up the current may be increase 10% the powersupply must be capable of deliver at least 1.0Adc intotal.Assume Pmax is 6W,the regulator must be mounted on a bigger radiator like this.

Oscon organic Caps around 1541.
TUBEEzator on a Marantz CDP(Mod) Oscon_10
TUBEEzator on a Marantz CDP(Mod) Tda15410

All coupling cap changed to Wima MKT 0.22uf 63v[old tiny ceramic caps removed],for pin 7 & 24 go with bigger 2.2uF.A solid ground PIN is inserted for Ground loop improvement-"virtual quiet ground". Blue&white are L/R signal that will direct feed to the triode Grid[pin 7] with bypass RG 100ohms. I use a mogami screened microphone cable,earthed on both site.
TUBEEzator on a Marantz CDP(Mod) Coupli10
TUBEEzator on a Marantz CDP(Mod) Top_co10
Non Over Sampling modification (NOS)
The purpose is to send the original data straight to TDA1541A without the SAA 7220 proceessing,it is supposed to feed straight these to TDA1541. Identified those trace and cut it and replace with a bypass wire.It is good to consider this mod as without the high frequency digital modulation processing,the sound become slightly improve &subtle.
TUBEEzator on a Marantz CDP(Mod) Os10
TUBEEzator on a Marantz CDP(Mod) Os110

Observation:
Tubeezation CDP vs Naim CD3. I prefer to the sound of Naim before run it,after well Run it,man..i could not believe! Details are unleashed in unbelievable fashion.hear so much more things never heard before,improvement of micro nuance are not HiFi artificial kind but they are natural PRAT.Natural Bass,Rythemic,Attack and Timing!Sound is very absolute musical.If you love MUSIC not HiFi - you can not find anything better after tubeezation. I guarantee it.Even the half-deaf/ear-wax clogged man can differentiate such sonic improvement.

last suggestion:
To introduce a master clock,reduce jitters problem. will need to source parts to build..sambung lagi!

Last edited by Tubeezator on Thu May 23, 2013 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Naim-ThoR
Naim-ThoR
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 467
Registration date : 2011-06-19

Character sheet
Source(s): 1541 古军碟机
Amplification: solid state 经典佳机
Speakers: italia

https://www.hifi4sale.net/t32755-no-money-no-tweak-no-talk

Back to top Go down

TUBEEzator on a Marantz CDP(Mod) Empty Re: TUBEEzator on a Marantz CDP(Mod)

Post by Naim-ThoR Fri May 10, 2013 1:17 pm

Till today it is a very controversial topic to discuss about NOS technique Digital filter-less DAC Concept. So far only 1540/41/43 DAC have the NOS features.
Oversampling DAC is very popular now. All modern DACs feature 24bit/ 192Khz specification; it is a very common method to bring out more depth and width in the soundstage, and improving on the instruments separation. Oversampling does not increase the amount of information, oversampling usually creating more errors in the re-quantizing process.
Why Non-Oversampling  [NOS] Mod ?. No one can deny that, ‘Oversampling’ process simply kill Music! lets start with going back to the basics, the actual source digital signal format recorded on CD is 16bit/44.1Khz format. Modern digital recording studio record music in 24bit/192Khz digital format, during CD pressing, this digital format will be converted again back to an original format [16bits 44.1Khz] back onto CD. During playback, modern DAC [24bits/192Khz] use special software to decode “the old format” back to a 24bit/192Khz again by some smart algorithms so that is the PROBLEM.

During the up-sampling signal processing, it induce the artifacts into sound, it contaminate the music, and the information on CD is over processed by these complicated algorithms. What you hear is not an “actual ‘sound. It is very digitally artificial. This ingenious technique always mask out the real tonality, atmosphere and emotion element from the music.

Modern CD player/Dac which equip with similar up sampling features DAC chip ,
they all will share very close sound  characteristic, even their analog filters circuits designs are different. Why? Because you hear the same digital artifact derived from the up sampling algorithms.    
Still not convinced? Try to find CD records which also available in vinyl version compare music from vinyl and CD. You will know how bad this artifact sound is!
No doubt Vinyl is sounding much more like real.But…
Listening music should be easy and at your convenience.

Non-oversampling [NOS] technique is a compromise answer.
NOS method to undo the DAC oversampling may be an acceptable & compromise answer to CD music. Why? Because the NOS will not induce any artifact in the signal processing, only the original music format recorded on CD is processed [although may be possible also degraded by previous reduced-sampling algorithm ] but it is still much better than additional digital artifact junk introduced in the subsequent oversampling processing[2nd stage processing]

Sonically:
non-oversampling DAC is very interesting because the sound it produced was very dynamic, realistic and involving compared to ordinary OS DACs.  OS TDA1541 which already sounded very good even in conventional DAC designs, however NOS TDA1541 making the sound more BASS punch,more details then conventional.
Naim-ThoR
Naim-ThoR
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 467
Registration date : 2011-06-19

Character sheet
Source(s): 1541 古军碟机
Amplification: solid state 经典佳机
Speakers: italia

https://www.hifi4sale.net/t32755-no-money-no-tweak-no-talk

Back to top Go down