Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Looking for someone to set up Sondek in Seremban

4 posters

Go down

Looking for someone to set up Sondek in Seremban Empty Looking for someone to set up Sondek in Seremban

Post by green_ugly Tue May 14, 2013 10:29 am

Dear good people,
If you are or can recomend anyone in Seremban who is able to set up a linn sondek for me please let me know. arm is alphason, amp is nait2. Willing to pay. Many thanks

Kee
Pls PM

green_ugly

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-02-04

Back to top Go down

Looking for someone to set up Sondek in Seremban Empty Re: Looking for someone to set up Sondek in Seremban

Post by zulkifar Tue May 14, 2013 1:51 pm

Kee,
Just to share some thoughts. I believe you have the new springs and grommets (apart from the belt of course) because you need these to setup a LP12. The Alphason, most likely it's the HR100s, was very popular and very good so it is worthwhile squeezing the best out of your present combination.
If you have the old armboard (the glue should give way by now), it's worth getting the new laminated board. You need to buy a blank armboard and drill the hole using your present board as the template. Getting the new felt mat is also another value upgrade.
BTW, if you have the older bearings, the present black oil may not be used. A warped top plate must be cured. Similarly, your suspension bolts must be straight and since you are dismantling the TT, you might as well install corner bracing to strengthen the plinth.
Plenty more but it's all a question of getting it right and putting priorities.

zulkifar
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-10-27

Character sheet
Source(s): LP,CD
Amplification: SET
Speakers: Dynamic

Back to top Go down

Looking for someone to set up Sondek in Seremban Empty Re: Looking for someone to set up Sondek in Seremban

Post by wingman Tue May 14, 2013 2:32 pm

Green...

Had the same dilemma when I got my LP12.....who and the cost .....cost....factor.

Being a hardcore DIY..er....I took the not so safe route of doing lots of rework on my LP12....adding on corner bracing's (like Zul mentioned)polishing / oiling the plinth....adding on a different tonearm from the original that it came with...took me approximately a month plus to get the whole TT assembled....added in some minor touches. Phase two was the suspension setup...took a while.....came out good....and the rest is history.....and the Web sure helped....mainly from the Linn forum. A sure keeper......

Most of these service providers are mainly around Klang Valley....one such person providing such service has an outlet in Amcorp Mall....goes by the name of Looi.....has sold a fair number of LP12's....can be reached at 0193202565.

Cheers Very Happy
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 855
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Wed May 15, 2013 1:00 pm

If the technician use the original Linn setup jig stand for setting up the TT, it'll result a higher chance of a more accuracy. Without that, work can be tedious and end result left to chance.
As for corner bracing, IMHO, DIY bracing isn't ideal but cheap implementation. Its no comparison to how its originally done. Find and buy a good condition or new plinth with corner braces. The carpentry joint is tongue groove, glued and set permanently, possibly the most logical joinery method in this case, cannot be replicated to an older plinth. If try to take apart the plinth to do this, then consider the entire plinth as destroyed.
The new Trampolin base is the next cheapest upgrade. I loath the old hardboard cover and fiddly little rubber feet which would have hardened to stone over 3-4 decades. Moreover, it often seen all the feet aren't on even plane. The Trampolin negate all the old faults and suspend the deck perfectly.
Yes, there's numerous upgrade parts available, available at UK Linn dealers or 3rd party. All depend how much one would like to spend.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by green_ugly Fri May 17, 2013 10:43 am

thanks everyone, for the frankly daunting advice, tried browsing through the linn forums 2 years ago, worn down my dictionary and gave up, seems like i will have to go through it again..

green_ugly

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 pm

Green...

Was at the similar crossroads as you are at the moment......i threw caution to the wind and took up refurbishing the LP12.

End result.....bounceTwisted Evilaffraid...thats to my standards.....just a challenge if one is not familiar.

Come to think of it, it was not that difficult.....get the right tools to assist in the dismantling and lots of patience...............

Very Happy cheers
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 855
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by green_ugly Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:16 pm

thanks for all the advice, a forumer helped set it up for me, sounds great now..

green_ugly

Back to top Go down

Post by zulkifar Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:05 pm

That's very good news. Hope you enjoy the music.

zulkifar
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-10-27

Character sheet
Source(s): LP,CD
Amplification: SET
Speakers: Dynamic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down