Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Genalex KT88 Gold Lion tubes availability & price

+9
WongKN
jteoh
dixchen
Lamkochai
Cooltube
Wan Azami Hamzah
BrAvO
RobA4
azri
13 posters

Go down

Genalex KT88 Gold Lion tubes availability & price Empty Genalex KT88 Gold Lion tubes availability & price

Post by azri Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:35 pm

how much does a pair of kt88 genalex gold lion cost?
is there a local dealer in bolehland? or will have to order overseas?
how much improvement can be achieved compared to others kt88 after installation & running in?

tq in advance
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Genalex KT88 Gold Lion tubes availability & price Empty Re: Genalex KT88 Gold Lion tubes availability & price

Post by RobA4 Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:56 pm

Can try Octave in PJ, near Amcorp Mall.

If u r talking reissues, should be around RM200 plus.

RobA4
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-04-17

Back to top Go down

Genalex KT88 Gold Lion tubes availability & price Empty Re: Genalex KT88 Gold Lion tubes availability & price

Post by BrAvO Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:58 am

It is selling at RM240 per pc at Octave. I bought mine on the net from USA, USD99.95 per pair + USD30 postage (Fedex). Still a bit cheaper than local dealer here.
BrAvO
BrAvO
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by RobA4 Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:15 am

I find the Gold Lion reissues to be quite good compared to the stock KT88s in my Mac amp.

Some say you gotta run it in at least 50hrs plus but I thought mine sounded good immediately compared to the stock tubes. And it actually got better as the hours go by. Real sweet sounding.

Although I have heard of reliability problems, I have had none for the last 1.5 years.

RobA4
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by BrAvO Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:09 pm

Yes, it sounds more detailing & more forward for my system even when it is new from box.

I think any power tubes can last as long as 2-3 thousands hours before it give ways but depend on amp's biasing too, lah.
BrAvO
BrAvO
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:52 am

Anyone with experience to compare KT88 vs KT90 vs 6550? It's confusing this valve thing though I've been using a Jadis Defy 30 for ten years now. Only been through 6550 valves of various makes, even then there's variation in sound. Appreciate some useful insight.

Cheers.
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Cooltube Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:20 am

Of course la, local retailers have to make small money ma. You in a hurry buy from them, if can wait order from internet.
Mind you there are loads of rebranded valves out there, MIC but rebranded as American or European makes which add to the confusion. That's because valves are making a big comeback of late esp in guitar amplification and general concert/studio/auditorium application. Therefore American and European manufacturers turn to China for for immediate supplies and have their brands on them.
So it's hard to compare say between cousins 6550 to KT88 when you aren't even sure if your valves are genuine article of the same make in the first place.
Good thing about valves they last quite a bit, so if you bought some and pleased with the sound they'll stay on your amp for a while until you get itchy again.
That's my bit of advice.
Cooltube
Cooltube
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:07 am

whats the diff between all these kt88s & SETs tube amp?
how does a SET amp which comprises same tubes like a pair of kt88
still having low output compares to bewitch?
i do read somewhere for SET u must make sure speaker connections are intact otherwise you will burn the output, is this true?
can this genelex be use in SETs amp?
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Lamkochai Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:31 am

if you are keen i have an unused new pair with box selling for RM400. add RM 20 for postal fees.

Lamkochai
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Character sheet
Source(s): bryston bdp2, bryston dac, reimyo dac, Dps Turntable tonearm and benzmicro rubyz
Amplification: gryphon diable 300, genesis phono amp, diy tube amp
Speakers: marten django xl & audiophysic virgo

Back to top Go down

Post by dixchen Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:29 am

Wan Azami Hamzah wrote:Anyone with experience to compare KT88 vs KT90 vs 6550? It's confusing this valve thing though I've been using a Jadis Defy 30 for ten years now. Only been through 6550 valves of various makes, even then there's variation in sound. Appreciate some useful insight.

Cheers.

KT valves meaning ( Kinkless Tetrodes) 6 plates have a slower sounding bass in comparison to the 6550 Pentodes ( 5 plates). Both are interchangeble because the pentodes are a newer derivative of the tetrodes in its history of valve refinement thus their electrical characteristics are almost similar. An american refinement in pentode tube design over the years thus the 6l6 over the EL34 as well.

IMHO I have liked the 6550's better in general, they seem to be more dynamic and punchy in the low end compared to the KT's which tend to be strong but slow in their lower frequency reproduction.

Matter or taste actually.

dixchen
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by jteoh Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:58 am

I bought Tung-sol 6550 re-issues to replace the KT88 in my Cayin amp and find them a great improvement - better resolution, faster and more dynamic!

jteoh

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:40 pm

So guys, reading this discussion thread it seems to suggest to me that in general, 6550 is preferable to KT88, is that right ?
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:02 am

Just curious, are there any other industrial applications for KT88 and 6550 tubes outside of the audio industry still ?

Or were they (6550, KT88, etc) designed specifically for audio applications right from the very beginning?
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by dixchen Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:21 pm

No in fact most of these tubes were designed for radio transmission or in matter of fact military radars and equipment back in the 40's onwards. Small noval tubes even made their way as guidance line transmission tubes used inside each ICBM ( Inter Continental Ballistic Missiles) warheads back then such as the super Bendix 6900!

Even the infamous 300B tubes were made by Western Electric for long telecommunication transmission lines and were rated to have a lifespan of up to 36000 hours! They were once used in deep sea telecom lines due to their extensive long life and yes there were switched on 24 hrs/day!

Of course some tubes were made for audio use but I know for a fact that the 6550's were for military since I have bought some GE JAN' s from a retired US army officer that served the US Army his entire life and these stock were from excessive thousands of military surplas! They virtually auctioned the whole lot off cheaply while used ones were thrown away, they were only like today's 25W light bulbs!

Tubes are known to be EMP proof, resistive to nuclear powered shockwaves back in the nuke era!

Of course having said that with the emergence of transistor circuits in the 80's, uses for tubes have long diminished for industrial application and now only find their way in audio applications today.

dixchen
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by royroy Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:45 pm

wan to ask the military use the tube for wat?coz i m new in tube world..i just now tube for audio since 60's till now..n i always heard military tube..wat mean??

royroy
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by tubejunkie Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:17 pm

dixchen wrote:No in fact most of these tubes were designed for radio transmission or in matter of fact military radars and equipment back in the 40's onwards. Small noval tubes even made their way as guidance line transmission tubes used inside each ICBM ( Inter Continental Ballistic Missiles) warheads back then such as the super Bendix 6900!

Even the infamous 300B tubes were made by Western Electric for long telecommunication transmission lines and were rated to have a lifespan of up to 36000 hours! They were once used in deep sea telecom lines due to their extensive long life and yes there were switched on 24 hrs/day!

Of course some tubes were made for audio use but I know for a fact that the 6550's were for military since I have bought some GE JAN' s from a retired US army officer that served the US Army his entire life and these stock were from excessive thousands of military surplas! They virtually auctioned the whole lot off cheaply while used ones were thrown away, they were only like today's 25W light bulbs!

Tubes are known to be EMP proof, resistive to nuclear powered shockwaves back in the nuke era!

Of course having said that with the emergence of transistor circuits in the 80's, uses for tubes have long diminished for industrial application and now only find their way in audio applications today.

wow..garantee better sound ?

tubejunkie
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2009-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:22 pm

royroy wrote:wan to ask the military use the tube for wat?coz i m new in tube world..i just now tube for audio since 60's till now..n i always heard military tube..wat mean??
coz last time before the transistor was invented, they all got to use vacuum tubes to perform the function of signal amplification and control.

All the WW2 era radios and radar systems then all used tubes.

Military tube means the tubes were designed for military use, so had to meet certain specs for consistency, reliability and ruggedness.... i guess.

But i dont think the miliraty still use tubes today...
And while tubes are EMP resistant, there are various methods today to make solid state and embedded circuits EMP resistance via various shielding designs (ie. Eurocopter Tiger).
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by catal2002 Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:35 am

Hi,

I have just listen to the ei kt90, ge 6550 and gold lion re-issue kt88.
You can have a look here,
http://h1f1.blogspot.com/2009/12/which-power-tube.html

Klau
www.h1f1.blogspot.com

Wan Azami Hamzah wrote:Anyone with experience to compare KT88 vs KT90 vs 6550? It's confusing this valve thing though I've been using a Jadis Defy 30 for ten years now. Only been through 6550 valves of various makes, even then there's variation in sound. Appreciate some useful insight.

Cheers.

catal2002
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-03-05

http://www.h1f1.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:45 pm

Thanks for the opinions. I was right to stick to 6550s then. Which brand is best in your opinion/s.? Appreciate advice. Cheers santa
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by catal2002 Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi,

I have to be specific here. i listen to Nos GE 6550

KLau
www.h1f1.blogspot.com

Wan Azami Hamzah wrote:Thanks for the opinions. I was right to stick to 6550s then. Which brand is best in your opinion/s.? Appreciate advice. Cheers santa

catal2002
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-03-05

http://www.h1f1.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down