Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (PDC): Is it worth a humble start?

5 posters

Go down

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (PDC): Is it worth a humble start? Empty Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (PDC): Is it worth a humble start?

Post by kamfei0512 Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:21 am

Hi h4s community,

Though I am fooling around with CDs at the moment, I am foreseeing myself venturing into vinyls and turntable sooner or later.

Not to say that CDs and digital files are bad (not in any way, respectfully) but there are certain attributes and characteristics in vinyls that wins my heart.

So, allow me to put my question clean and simple :
For an analogue newbie like me, is the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (PDC) worth a humble start?
(Or how wrong could PDC be?)

I am more into vocals and engaging musicality. Less or close to nil of heavy metal or rock bands to enjoy relaxation. Razz 

Any personal experience/review on the PDC or any other suggestion is mostly welcome.

cheers 
kamfei0512
kamfei0512
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2011-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Audio Alchemy DDS II + DDE v1.1, Google Chromecast Audio
Amplification: Arcam FMJ A19
Speakers: Audio Physic Tempo 25

Back to top Go down

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (PDC): Is it worth a humble start? Empty Re: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (PDC): Is it worth a humble start?

Post by sflam Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:45 pm

hi kamfei0512,

welcome to the vinyl world!
project turntables are relatively good for the price. the other brand i would recommend for entry-level and even advanced-level vinyl addicts is Rega. since i am a rega fan, i would recommend rega...

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (PDC): Is it worth a humble start? Empty Re: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (PDC): Is it worth a humble start?

Post by cmboy Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:12 pm

I think the PDC is a better engineered machine especially the carbon fibre tonearm which bear a striking resemblance to the Linn Pro-ject 9cc tonearm. Its pose an excellent product at its price point.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:58 pm

i think the carbon fibre tonearm that comes with the debut is a lower-end version of the 9cc tonearm used in the project rpm series. project supplied the 9cc tonearm to linn.
rega's tonearms are pretty good too.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kamfei0512 Thu May 01, 2014 8:14 am

sflam wrote:hi kamfei0512,

welcome to the vinyl world!
project turntables are relatively good for the price. the other brand i would recommend for entry-level and even advanced-level vinyl addicts is Rega. since i am a rega fan, i would recommend rega...

Hi sflam,

I'm not sure about Rega's offering because all these while I have been receiving quite a number of "negative feedback" from other analogue enthusiasts which is why I am thinking if the PDC could serves as good alternative.

Just IMHO and no hard feeling  Razz 

sflam wrote:i think the carbon fibre tonearm that comes with the debut is a lower-end version of the 9cc tonearm used in the project rpm series. project supplied the 9cc tonearm to linn.
rega's tonearms are pretty good too.

I figure this is understandable since PDC is an entry-level turntable which also means budget stuffs. Call me lowballer but being budget stuffs, I would look into "value for money" or "bang for bucks" instead of just "oh, you pay what you get".

I am for sure don't know and might never know if the 9cc tonearm in PDC is of lower-end version but I would like to find out the overall satisfactory (and the grin on face) brought up by the PDC.

The current benchmark I am using now is to compare the PDC against the Thorens TD 160 and would like to know how far PDC falls behind/propel ahead.

Am I making any sense here?
kamfei0512
kamfei0512
Regular
Regular

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by kamfei0512 Thu May 01, 2014 8:22 am

cmboy wrote:I think the PDC is a better engineered machine especially the carbon fibre tonearm which bear a striking resemblance to the Linn Pro-ject 9cc tonearm. Its pose an excellent product at its price point.

Indeed, cmboy.
I like the PDC's honest and simple construction (I would not go as far as "complicated" here) which I feel kind of suitable for a newbie like me.

Another thing is this review from Audiofi.net that has "kacau" my concentration (and my wallet)  Evil or Very Mad
kamfei0512
kamfei0512
Regular
Regular

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by kamfei0512 Wed May 14, 2014 3:21 pm

Just read through another review on the PDC...

Cheers,
kamfei0512
kamfei0512
Regular
Regular

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by choontoy Thu May 15, 2014 12:54 pm

KamFei.....welcome to Vinyl world.....so have you decide yet ? Project or Thoren ?

choontoy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by kamfei0512 Fri May 16, 2014 3:27 pm

choontoy wrote:KamFei.....welcome to Vinyl world.....so have you decide yet ? Project or Thoren ?

Not yet because I am still waiting for a $ign  Wink 
kamfei0512
kamfei0512
Regular
Regular

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by 77006688 Fri May 16, 2014 5:23 pm

comparing tts is like comparing each different brands of beers as well as comparing beer with wine and whiskey. it fully depending your taste and preferences. audition them to decide.

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2011-08-30

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down