Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Musical Fidelity Typhoon XLR Balance Pre and Power Amplifier (sold)

Go down

Musical Fidelity Typhoon XLR Balance Pre and Power Amplifier (sold) Empty Musical Fidelity Typhoon XLR Balance Pre and Power Amplifier (sold)

Post by HiFiLab Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:12 am

Musical Fidelity Typhoon XLR Balance Pre and Power Amplifier (sold) 20140918
Musical Fidelity Typhoon XLR Balance Pre and Power Amplifier (sold) 20140919
Musical Fidelity Typhoon XLR Balance Pre and Power Amplifier (sold) 20140920
Musical Fidelity Typhoon XLR Balance Pre and Power Amplifier (sold) 20140921

Made In England

These are, totally unexpectedly (at least for me) some of the finest sounding MF pre/amp models; of that era and price range, of course.

Typhoon is a Class-B amp, utterly reliable, running dead cool even after hours on difficult loads; and it handles difficult loads with grace.
16 Pcs power output transistors output devices (bipolar transistors, I believe) take care of that - the amp is a current monster. This is (just one!) what I used to drive the ESLs for quite some time before I upgraded to Quad-99 mono blocks

Sonically, "Typhoon" has the same signature (to my ears) as the same generation of MF Class-A amps; with a hint of difference in the bass and midrange presentation, making the class-A amps sound a bit "warmer" (immediate, pleasant).

"The Preamp" assuming that is the same as my "Rainbow Preamp" (same generation, same features - MF used to change the preamp naming whenever they were bored, which was rather often) I would call the best preamp I have heard in that price range.

At least, really up to best of my expectations - dynamic, quiet ("dark"), really involving. And not just sonically where it's very difficult to fault it (unless compared with valve preamps many times the price),

NB: For those that believe in, or depend on "fine tuning" be warned - no tone or balance controls!

Musical Fidelity Typhoon Power Amplifier
Internally, the Typhoon is dominated by the 16 power output transistors, each of which is mounted directly on to the pcb through its own finned heatsink. The two stereo channels are completely independent— separate bridged rectifiers and reservoir capacitors and so on—only the mains transformer being common to both, and even on that there are separate secondary windings so to all intents and purposes, this is two mono specification amplifiers in a common case. Operational amplifiers are used again to process the balanced input signal but discreet transistors are employed beyond that in the gain and pre-driver stages. One by-product of balanced operation is the ease with which bridged operation can be established. In this mode the two channels of a stereo amplifier are driven anti-phase with respect to one another to form a composite mono device of very much greater power; the loudspeaker is connected across the two 'hot' terminals.

Note: A bridged Typhoon is rated at 150 watts into 4 ohms.

look here also for more spec. http://www.gramophone.co.uk/editorial/review-musical-fidelity-the-preamp-and-typhoon-power-amplifier

Come with Original XLR Balance InterConnect Cable

Musical Fidelity Typhoon XLR Balance Pre and Power Amplifier (sold) 20140922

Price : RMsold

Last edited by HiFiLab on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sold)

HiFiLab
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 2967
Registration date : 2011-03-12

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down