Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

want to complete my home theater

+5
dirtrun
peter chan
Sonerin
alfred
acemystic
9 posters

Go down

want to complete my home theater Empty want to complete my home theater

Post by acemystic Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:42 pm

hi all,

i am a newbie here. i am looking for a pair of surround speaker within a budget of rm 700 to rm 1k. it doesn't matter if it is new or used, as long as it is in tip top condition.

Please recommend me some models or if you know any that are selling off theirs. By the way, i am in KL.

Many thanks. Smile

acemystic

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-01-01

Back to top Go down

want to complete my home theater Empty Re: want to complete my home theater

Post by alfred Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:58 pm

today their is a pair mission 780
alfred
alfred
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Character sheet
Source(s): pioneer pd s901 as transport \ denon dcd s10 d/a
Amplification: krell pre / threshold
Speakers: LS 5/12A, Spendor 2/3

Back to top Go down

Post by acemystic Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:32 am

Yup, saw that. There are also mission speakers in another thread from VX series.

Is the VX S and VX 1 comparable to 780?

acemystic

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonerin Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:06 am

VX S and VX 1 are newer model. Not sure how it sounds. You can check out hiway laser website for some sales model of surround speakers.

Sonerin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2011-12-03

Character sheet
Source(s): Asus tinkerboard, Rega P10
Amplification: Wadia 322di, Accuphase A-47, C2150
Speakers: KEF R11

Back to top Go down

want to complete my home theater Empty Surround Speakers

Post by peter chan Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:50 am

Hi acemystic,

IMHO, timbre-match of all speakers - 
is one of the key factors in a successful
home theater (HT).
May I know your current speakers model and
brand?   Very Happy
I have sent you a PM,
kindly check. Very Happy

enjoy your music and movie.......... Very Happy

peter chan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtrun Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:25 pm

Actually,

Unless you are into multichannel music.. timber matching for surrounds is not exactly needed.. bear in mind , the effects sounds coming thru would be just noises - pops , bangs and whizzes and worse is tat its sporadic - meaning at best maybe 5% of the audio will come to the surrounds..

I would look for cheap decent bkshelves to use as surrounds..

D

dirtrun
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

want to complete my home theater Empty HT

Post by oracle Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:06 pm

Save space & money, hook up ceiling speaker as surround. HT critical sound is from center and good sub-woofer . I own dynaudio center & sunfire hrs12. Excellent
oracle
oracle
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 353
Registration date : 2010-12-14

Character sheet
Source(s): Naim
Amplification: Naim
Speakers: Dynaudio

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtrun Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:15 pm

Haha,

If can do ceiling spkrs then can consider Atmos liao..

D

dirtrun
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by alfred Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:15 pm

if your room or your hall is properly set up, stereo system can also provide u with a good surround sound field provided your hifi system is powerful enough
alfred
alfred
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Character sheet
Source(s): pioneer pd s901 as transport \ denon dcd s10 d/a
Amplification: krell pre / threshold
Speakers: LS 5/12A, Spendor 2/3

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtrun Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:49 am

Unfortunately,

A 2 spkr system limits de 'sweet spot' to a very limited area - a coupla inches, off and de sound would come more from the left or right.. I guess if you normally watch alone - then tis is an option..
I would suggest if you r just starting out - then to go 2 channel with as best a spkr/avr system you can afford - then add a ctr - when you have de funds..

D

Last edited by dirtrun on Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

dirtrun
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyOP Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:09 pm

dirtrun wrote:Actually,

Unless you are into multichannel music.. timber matching for surrounds is not exactly needed.. bear in mind , the effects sounds coming thru would be just noises - pops , bangs and whizzes and worse is tat its sporadic - meaning at best maybe 5% of the audio will come to the surrounds..

I would look for cheap decent bkshelves to use as surrounds..

D

Surround speakers not so necessary but still it will be good to have similar type of speakers or at least not too different to the extent you will notice the sound suddenly change to another character. 

DannyOP
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtrun Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:23 pm

Haha Surprised

I dont deny the ideal situation is 5 equal spkrs [or 7] but l know how hard it is to find even a same model/brand in the 'used' market let alone exactly de same model..
But I still stand on cheaper bkshlvs as surrounds unless utilising multichannel music..
I'd add tat some heft in de main drivers of de surr does make a difference - if  you are tinking of just satts [ l have used both before.. ]

D

dirtrun
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:39 pm

alfred wrote:if your room or your hall is properly set up, stereo system can also provide u with a good surround sound field provided your hifi system is powerful enough

Actually binaural recordings provide more accurate 3D sound than Multi-channels recordings. It is possible to create convincing realism with 2 channels. Ambiophonics and BAACH managed to achieve this with just two speakers. BAACH is more sophisticated but with a price tag of US$55000.
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2010-08-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Ambiophonics setup.
Amplification:
Speakers: Electrostatics

https://stchelvam.wixsite.com/ambiophonics3dstereo

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtrun Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:06 pm

I wont go into which is better [2channel and 5 channel] but you can enjoy [approximately] Cinema Sound with a 5.1 system - of course better equipment will get you a more refined sound..

dirtrun
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:37 am

My understanding is getting 5.1 or 7.1 for home theater is to give the directional cues for movie enjoyment. All movies are EQed with 3dB/octave roll off after 2kHz. That is hardly high fidelity for audiophile who strive for flat response up to 20kHz.

Cheers!
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by atoz Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:37 am

STC wrote:
alfred wrote:if your room or your hall is properly set up, stereo system can also provide u with a good surround sound field provided your hifi system is powerful enough

Actually binaural recordings provide more accurate 3D sound than Multi-channels recordings. It is possible to create convincing realism with 2 channels. Ambiophonics and BAACH managed to achieve this with just two speakers. BAACH is more sophisticated but with a price tag of US$55000.

I totally agree, have tried many times with different AVRs with multi channels speakers still go back to standard stereo pair. Humans are only born with stereo ears and able to tell where sounds come from. My advise is to invest into better and if possible more subwoofers in the HT.
atoz
atoz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:30 pm

For movies there are two stimuli involved -visual and sound.  For great cinema experience, you need to get the bangs, booms, gunshots, jet flying over your head and generally like how all sound that comes around you in real life.

That is the reason why multi channel format was invented. While stereo retains higher fidelity, it is limited in giving better experience than a properly setup multi channel HT. The HT sound is usually all mono. Mono centre, mono left, mono right, mono VOG, mono rear (L/R), subwoofer and mono sides. These speakers give you the sense of being surrounded as sound come from 360 degrees something that is limited by stereo.

As HT experience involves visual simulation, the exact direction of sound usually constructed by what the eyes is seeing and then reinforced by the respective speaker at the location.

Sound is essentially mono. There is no stereo in nature. It is also not quite right to say that two speakers are enough since we only got two ears. Applying same logic would require two TVs since we got two eyes.  Cool
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtrun Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:16 pm

Haha Smile 

Tis is becoming sort of a discussion between stereo n multichannel..
HT is to approximate as close to 'real life' or 'cinema-like' hence some of sound effects are not-musical at all ; eg de elephant[l forgot wat its called] tingy in Lord of the Rings 3 - RotK - its footsteps were actually someting being thrown on to the ground and then boosted up..LOL Shocked
Also, modern flicks use a lot of LFE - hence a good sub [able to go low tru 20hz n lower , if possible] is needed - if not de sound u here is not the 'directors' choice n is 'rolled off' from ur mains or sub driver.. note I say modern as the older flicks dont hv tis - say pre-80s films even thou' remastered still sound 'tinny'..
Last but not least on de 'Display' being de showcase of a modern HT is so so true.. the more refined and 'big' [ unfortunately, a 40inch image no matter how sharp just cant cut it -- sorry.. ]
Tats why most HTphiles go front projection - not becos we like to stub-our-toes-in-de-dark but we want bang-for-buck size.. hell ya , we want de 110inch flat panel plasma/lcd screen but do u know how much tat costs?

D

dirtrun
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:25 pm

dirtrun wrote:....
Also, modern flicks use a lot of LFE - hence a good sub [able to go low tru 20hz n lower , if possible] is needed - if not de sound u here is not the 'directors' choice n is 'rolled off' from ur mains or sub driver.. note I say modern as the older flicks dont hv tis - say pre-80s films even thou' remastered still sound 'tinny'....
 Interesting you brought up this. Any idea what speakers THX certified cinema theaters use to achieve LFE below 20Hz?
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtrun Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:00 pm

STC wrote:
dirtrun wrote:....
Also, modern flicks use a lot of LFE - hence a good sub [able to go low tru 20hz n lower , if possible] is needed - if not de sound u here is not the 'directors' choice n is 'rolled off' from ur mains or sub driver.. note I say modern as the older flicks dont hv tis - say pre-80s films even thou' remastered still sound 'tinny'....
 Interesting you brought up this. Any idea what speakers THX certified cinema theaters use to achieve LFE below 20Hz?
THX like any other certification is just in de end a 'piece-of-paper' - tink What-Hifi Multi Star awards n you'll catch my drift.. but l tink M K has tis - if die die must have it..
But if you go by personal reviews , then there is a bunch of em [in de US, anyway] nowadays tat qualify..
Me.. Unfortunately to say .. is price sensitive, so l would go for de best bang-for-buck [ not neccesarily de best but neither is it de worse.. ] for subs - a long time ago SvS was de best deal - of cos now, there are others..

D

dirtrun
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:36 pm

I am just like you. I go for al cheapo stuff. Still using lawn mover power cord as speakers cables.  Very Happy 

Anyway, THX is not just a piece of paper but a requirement to meet the standard of good cinema sound which you alluded earlier in your post. THX is a trademark and no theaters would dare to claim they are THX certified cinema unless they meet the minimum hardware requirement for such certification.

Unfortunately, there are very few Lucasfilm approved THX certified subwoofers. None that I know of go down below 20Hz in cinema. Just checked MK and they too do not go below 20Hz. Technically, no movies you hear with sound below 20Hz. However, at the same time you cannot get the impact of good sound from ordinary stereo setup for movies because the way they master the soundtrack is to boast the LF at least by 10dB. That's why, a well setup system for music cannot faithfully reproduce the sound as intended by the directors or producers.

My post is not about stereo or multi channels but about bringing realistic 3D sound while watching movies. Apologies if I go OT.

Cheers!
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtrun Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:51 pm

Haha Very Happy

Great minds tink alike [ or pockets anyway hehe Laughing ]
I am a firm believer of all cables - Belden ..

Haha.. gud for u, me.. l am a sceptic at heart - THX is to me , just a piece of paper - if in Malaysia, lagi no need to say.. very clever in fitting de best but come to upkeep - langsung tak ambil hal - I hv been to local [Penang anyway..] cinemas and some theaters projection system literally suxxss.. so forgive me when l dont believe much in 'certification'
Really.. l didnt know tat MK subs dont go below 20hz..
Most of the premium subs nowadays can go 20 or below, namely de Ultra series SvS's ; JL Fathoms  etc.. heck my ol Pb12+ can go 18hz if tuned tat way.. I guess .. I cant prove it but if you read AVS or such reviews, there are some more 'learned' members who say so..

D

dirtrun
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:00 pm

I am not saying sub wouldnt go below 20Hz. But cinema sound that you mentioned earlier do not have below 20Hz in the theater. So if it is not there then what below 20Hz we are talking about in HT?

I have seen many movies measurements in AV forums with LFE down to 1Hz. Do you get them in playback in HT is another question. Anyway, humans cant hear below 20Hz and sound below 16Hz even if audible it would be heard as beats.

Thank you and cheers!
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtrun Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:07 pm

Offhand,

I can't remember what ttls are avlbl tat has odo tat go below 20hz [ if not mistaken Xmen 1st class bd has tis ..] n ya it rumbles more than it being loud..
De term 'they' use is pants-flapping or leg-hair-moving bass - u feel it.. not 'hear' it
N no .. I am talking abt HT subs n Blu-rays - no idea whthr cinema subs can move all tat air - it is loud .. thou'

D

dirtrun
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtrun Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:13 pm

O ya..

Again.. I can't prove it but if you have tried out Xmen 1st Class bd [ lets see - de scene wif de lifted up sub.. submarine tat is.. ] in a HT wif a decent sub at reference level - you will know wat l am talking about..

Editted to add : Haha.. now tat tis reminds me how awesome tis ttl is cos when l watched tis .. my neighbor [sharing a wall] complained to me de following day - said they thought it was a 'tremor'.. but it was just my 2 subs.. Rolling Eyes

D

dirtrun
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonerin Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:47 pm

For HT movie testing I find that dark knight is a very good reference

Sonerin
Frequent Contributor