Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

AKG K-400 Classic Recording Studio Headphones

Go down

AKG K-400 Classic Recording Studio Headphones Empty AKG K-400 Classic Recording Studio Headphones

Post by HiFiLab Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:14 pm

AKG K-400 Classic Recording Studio Headphones Img_2061
AKG K-400 Classic Recording Studio Headphones Img_2062
AKG K-400 Classic Recording Studio Headphones Img_2063
AKG K-400 Classic Recording Studio Headphones Img_2064

Made In AUSTRIA

The AKG K 400s are a set of recording studio headphones best suited for playback and monitoring during recording.These are the type of headphones that you would wear to hear the rest of the mix or the rest of the players during recording

Its bass is not deep by any definitions. Very tight and lean is how I would describe it. I do think it is similar to the K701 but maybe I need to loan a pair to confirm such. The roll off is very early but I find its mid-ish bass satisfying enough for a bass light experience, at least it is not non-existent.

The treble of the K400 is very smooth. It also does not offer the highest highs in other flagship / treble head headphones. However it is not as sibilant as others e.g. the DT880. In fact, one can listen to these for very long sessions and the sound is very pleasing, because of...

THE K400 MIDS IS MAGICAL. The clearest mids in my collection, the most natural ones. Not as upfront as the Alessandro MSPro, but it is really a high-fidelity experience. Again not the most detailed headphone (even the HD580 is more detailed to my ears); but there is no mid bass hump, no sharp treble. Every bit of research AKG has done to the K400 has went down to its mids. Absolutely neutral, flat FR in that middle range and rolls off both end. It avoids being too dark, nor too clinical sounding; which is why I have chosen it instead of the K701. To me it far surpasses the K701 in terms of musicality. Not everyone could enjoy a K701 - clinical, cold, 'plasticky', 'unreal soundstage' etc., EVERY audiophile would enjoy the K400 mids.

Other:
1.Not the quickest headphone. Very quick music will sound congested e.g. metal like 'Dragonforce'; Visual Kei band 'Versallites'
2.Not the biggest soundstage. It is bigger than the HD580 due to having less midbass (I find warm sounding headphones having a close and intimate soundstage that is not the widest nor the closest); but smaller than the K500 (close). From sonic memory it is smaller than the well regarded ones namely the HD800, K701 and the Sony SA5000.
3.Detail - it will not give you that magnifying lens you had with the K701 or SA5000. What you get is a lovely picture of the music as a whole.

Conclusion / Other notes:

I'll give an anology as a conclusion. The K400 portraits a very real natural scenic picture. It does not have too vivid colours, it does not offer a gazillion pixels. However its positioning is very appealing, and white balance, exposure is spot on. The clarity and detail might be confusing, so in my definitions (at least in here) clarity is the lens, and they are sharp; detail is the pixels and no it is just enough for a standard monitor wallpaper; and the high/low end roll offs sort of create a lovely depth of field that makes the focus point so appealing.

Suggessions:

Any music that does not require super low bass or high treble would yield good results with the K400, if you enjoy purity/clarity in your music. Maybe try something that appeals in a natural way, e.g. instrumental, orchestral depending on what you focus on, accoustic, OPERA might be good etc. you get the flow. You are either very special or stupid if you purchased these to listen to dubstep or crazy metal riffs in my opinion.

the K400 to listen to my music, to feel the singer's emotions. Lovely headphone.

EDIT:

Both the K400 and K500 requires MONSTEROUS CURRENT to sound good. Good thing is their impedance is high so an OTL tube amp would work; or a mid/higher end solid state. They will produce decent volume out of a normally designed amp, but you only get that smoothness and bass and everything on a very solid performing amp.

Price : RM 750
Contact Simon Ting 012-3612507

Please Click below link to view more hi fi items for sale
http://carousell.com/hifilab

Last edited by HiFiLab on Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add info)

HiFiLab
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 2967
Registration date : 2011-03-12

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down