Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Loth-X Ambience Tube Amplifier Friendly 97dB Full Range Speakers

Go down

Loth-X Ambience Tube Amplifier Friendly 97dB Full Range Speakers Empty Loth-X Ambience Tube Amplifier Friendly 97dB Full Range Speakers

Post by HiFiLab Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:05 pm

Loth-X Ambience Tube Amplifier Friendly 97dB Full Range Speakers Img_2083
Loth-X Ambience Tube Amplifier Friendly 97dB Full Range Speakers Img_2080
Loth-X Ambience Tube Amplifier Friendly 97dB Full Range Speakers Img_2081
Loth-X Ambience Tube Amplifier Friendly 97dB Full Range Speakers Img_2082
Loth-X Ambience Tube Amplifier Friendly 97dB Full Range Speakers Img_2085
Loth-X Ambience Tube Amplifier Friendly 97dB Full Range Speakers Img_2084

FS: Loth-X Ambience loudspeakers - 97db full-range high efficiency, tube friendly

Lothar Sandar is the namesake and driving force behind Loth-X. In addition to a range of amplifiers, cables, and turntables, many of which have been favorably reviewed recently, the company is probably best known for its high-efficiency, full-range, single-driver speakers

The drivers themselves are from Fostex, Japan; the cabinets and exotic tropical wood veneers are manufactured in peninsular Malaysia; and the final mounting of the drivers in the cabinets is done in Singapore

The Ambience
Single-driver speakers are also usually very large, which may cause them to have a low wife acceptance factor (WAF). In my view, the WAF is a very important determinant of whether a speaker ends up in your living room, or just your wildest dreams. With that in mind, imagine my surprise when the Ambience arrived, standing just 38" tall, and only 8 1/2" wide. The single driver itself is only 5 1/2" across. Bass loading is via a transmission-line enclosure -- a baffled internal chamber opening to a tuned port at the bottom of the front panel -- rather than the traditional back-loaded internal horn. The cherry-wood veneer is of very good quality, giving the speaker a stylish and refined look. It fit like a commissioned work in our teak, hardwood, and leather décor. WAF was an easy 8.5/10 in one out of one wife polled. The speaker comes with a full-length black-fabric grille,

A single pair of standard-quality binding posts are provided at the lower rear, and the base plinth accepts threaded pins or black cones, which I rested on coin-type floor protectors to save my hardwood from further puncture wounds. Rated sensitivity is 97dB/W/m, and impedance is 8 ohms.

The speakers are not very heavy -- I would estimate somewhere in the neighbourhood of 45 pounds each. Using my trusty knuckle, the knock test revealed significant cabinet resonance on the top panel, but the sides were deader sounding, most likely due to the stabilizing effect of the internal baffles. The driver itself is manufactured to Loth-X specifications by Fostex, and features a central whizzer and mold-resistant coating on the cone for tropical climates.

my first impression was one of surprise. These speakers have bass. In fact, their tonal balance is full and dark. The soundstage was not particularly wide, but certainly deep, with a kind of enveloping quality.

Several unusual qualities were apparent on the first listen. Although focus was not what you might call laser sharp, there was a high degree of image solidity that appeared not to depend on high frequencies. Indeed, although the presentation did not give the immediate impression of being rolled off, there was clearly very little objective treble extension. I decided to call this kind of imaging midrange imaging, or imaging in the absence of high-frequency etch. The dynamics were quite a bit better than you get from most speakers, with an effortless quality, and there was a higher degree of coherence of the musical picture, top to bottom

Conclusion

The Ambience is an unusual and special speaker at a reasonable price. The sonic style of these speakers is unobtrusive rather than imposing, and they won’t necessarily turn your head in comparison with more expensive multi-driver transducers. These are smallish speakers with an intimate character that will prefer a smaller room with a minimum of reflective surfaces. As a pleasant surprise, they also have a high WAF. The Ambience’s main competition will be minimonitors, some of which are startlingly inexpensive and have very good sound.

Good conventional floorstanders in this price range, and I’m generalizing here, will most likely involve subtractive compromises that include less overall realism than the Ambience, especially, but not only, in the midrange. In terms of frequency extension, the Ambience does more with less, while the standard multi-way will do less with more. Further, I’m quite convinced that there is some single-driver magic to be had, particularly with classical instrumental music involving massed strings, for which there may be no substitute, even in very pricey multi-way designs. Though I auditioned them with relatively low-power tube amplification only, there’s no reason that somewhat higher-power solid-state gear (with a good midrange) wouldn’t give you excellent results through the Ambience. For the many frustrated lovers of the orchestra out there in particular, if you are looking for an involving experience on a reasonable budget, your prayers may have been answered.

Frequency Response:
50-20 000Hz Efficiency: 97dB/W/m
Size: 208x 970 x 335mm (WxHxD)
Impedance 8 Ohm
Finishing : in Cherry wood veneer

Price : RM 2750
Contact Simon Ting 012-3612507

HiFiLab
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 2967
Registration date : 2011-03-12