Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Exotic A/C power cables - any difference?

+21
M7
WongKN
fizi
tycham
fay
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
pocoyo
SHS
car o scope
mustafa
luxman
abel
KenZen
dheensay
adrian4454
Shanghai
built
auronthas
cheehon
teleman51
scudracer
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Exotic A/C power cables - any difference? Empty Exotic A/C power cables - any difference?

Post by scudracer Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:13 am

Being out of the 'HiFi' world for about a decade (12 years actually Exclamation ), I was surprised to note that one of the latest trends is to upgrade to exotic power cables costing RM3000 and even higher! affraid

Just wanted to know if anyone had conducted their own A/B tests and has it made a difference? Question
scudracer
scudracer
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-01-19

http://www.bikervoodoo.com

Back to top Go down

Exotic A/C power cables - any difference? Empty Re: Exotic A/C power cables - any difference?

Post by teleman51 Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:39 pm

Scudracer, I'm surprised that there are no returning comments on your request for the above.
I myself was keen to hear the others with thier own experiences but maybe

a) all who bought those high end cables are really satisfied customers or
b) fell for the so called hype (excuse me Mr.Admin, my apologies) and found out otherwise. affraid
c) couldn't really tell the differece but keep silent anyway. Crying or Very sad
d) bought because of "high end" appeal anyway or
e) could't be bothered to come on down to this forum to give you an
answer, which is sad really cos this site is for sharing all those
experiences,good,bad or otherwise.

Now, scud , maybe you could really liven things up over here at the forum. lol!
You request has been on for the past 8 days.I hope you're the patient type my man.

As always,

teleman51
teleman51
teleman51
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): Marantz CD52 MK2.Ipod 4
Amplification: Marantz 2265 Receiver,Marantz 3800 Preamp,Marantz 140 Power amp,Marantz 1060 integrated
Speakers: Acoustic Energy Evo 1

Back to top Go down

Exotic A/C power cables - any difference? Empty Re: Exotic A/C power cables - any difference?

Post by cheehon Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:07 am

I've got 2 power cables, Siltech and XLO. Siltech is silver and XLO is copper. Frankly speaking, I cannot tell the different. Even if I compare it to my normal computer power cable I also cannot tell the different. Maybe I don't have good ears, but I think this is good as I don't need to further invest on expensive power cable.Smile

cheehon

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by auronthas Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:47 am

I replaced the standard power cord(s) with Supra Lorad 2.5 powecord, i can't tell the difference too. I guess only a very 'high-end' audio system able to tell and of course a 'good' hearing is a must. LOL

Like TS, i would like to hear from hifi gurus too on your opinion and experience.
auronthas
auronthas

Number of posts : 211

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by scudracer Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:40 am

Thanks cheehon and auronthas. We must continue to do A/B tests, it's the only way to find out the truth. Cos I'm wondering ... it's the contacts that matter. No dirt or oxidisation, that's important.

Some thoughts:

a) If the wall to amp/equipment really mattered or makes a difference, then logic would dictate that we would have to replace our wall wiring with the same cables right? After that, the house to power station wiring?

b) Some power cables claim to filter out noise. That's quite incredible. Some special way of weaving the wires to cut out RFI? From what I hear, in the electronics world (as opposed to HiFi World), engineers work to eliminate noise and maximum power transfer from mains by using toroids and Schaffner filters (9244E costs US$6+). Split core RFI line chokes can be clamped on. These cost about US$2 only.
scudracer
scudracer
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by auronthas Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:19 am

yeah, one need to filter the noise, commonly known as harmonic for single phase power supply, the common harmonic is 3rd harmonic which generated from electronic devices such as PCs, microwaves, etc. It travels from your neighbouring not necessary from power service provider, the effect is called electromagnetic interference (EMI),

You can use 'Fluke' measuring meter to measure the level of harmonic, to eliminate the unwanted 'noise' then install a harmonic filter at incoming (consumer distribution board) or at near to your audio system whichever to your convenience.
auronthas
auronthas

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by teleman51 Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:29 pm

Qoute
") If the wall to amp/equipment really mattered
or makes a difference, then logic would dictate that we would have to
replace our wall wiring with the same cables right? After that, the
house to power station wiring?"

Waaaaaaaaa! Scudracer!!!!!.Like this ah I may have to call contractor to rewire my whole house.Then call TNB ah to negotiate on cost to rewire from house to power station. lol!
Then what? Next step will be to contact manufacturer of high end power cable to negotiate special price affraid

Way to go scudracer.You're the man!!!!!
By the way scud, couldn't find any supplier here for the Schnaffner 9244E.Can you point me in the right direction? pleaseeeee.

As always,

teleman51
teleman51
teleman51
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification: Marantz 2265 Receiver,Marantz 3800 Preamp,Marantz 140 Power amp,Marantz 1060 integrated

Back to top Go down

Post by scudracer Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:20 pm

Thanks auronthas - I found this Fluke datasheet - http://support.fluke.com/find-sales/download/asset/2391563_a_w.pdf "The cost of poor power quality".

Teleman51 have to make a nice deal with the power cable guys, and maybe 12 year loan.

Schaffner 9244 was apparently only introduced Nov/Dec 2008 and is the latest so Farnell and other placed may not stock them yet. Your best bet is mail order or get some China-made clones at Pasar Road for RM4-6. I think GEIC stocks them (opposite the Chinese primary school and diagonally opposite PGB Plaza).

Schaffner 9244 introduction info:
http://www.electronicstalk.com/news/sca/sca209.html
http://www.electropages.com/viewArticle.aspx?intArticle=12030
http://www.ferret.com.au/c/Westek-Electronics/The-new-Schaffner-FN-9244-series-IEC-inlet-filters-from-Westek-Electronics-n818890
scudracer
scudracer
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by built Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:12 am

scudracer wrote:...We must continue to do A/B tests, it's the only way to find out the truth...
how many RM3000 is it going to take, i wonder... Rolling Eyes

built

Number of posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanghai Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:38 am

The power cord plays an important role in hi fidelity. (fact 1) The surprise finding is that one would not know your "full potential " of your system without having these links

Theoratically I cannot figure out the science of such short 1- 2 m power cord could alter or improved the "sound". in a hi fi system,So started as a non believer and I did not make any serious effort to try them extensively until recently.

Excellent made power cords irrespect of brand connected to any sources , players made a sigbnificant improved audible diffeences (period).( Fact 2 ) I have tested different power cords from basic to some "famous reviewed manufacturers types. Of course not all of them, a little like 6- 8 types and mades. It is very tiring to do so. I got scared as we do not budget this in our initial plan when starting on a hi fi system. I have stop trying at this moment - You would not go wrong with the PS adio statement, Audio image reference power cords or Shunyata Helix range - test it your self! Some reviewd brands may not be as "good" so try them before purchasing!
( you want to cut short the learning curve - just try the three ranges as above)
It is like chenging a new speakers or amplifier or interconnect or speaker cables, etc. In short spending on MYR 3K or even more for a power cord is worth every penny - You would spend on a 20K speakers or amplifier -wouldn"t you?

Shanghai
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by scudracer Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:24 am

Actually my setup is very modest. Marantz SA7001KI, Marantz PM7200, Bose 301 Series Vs. Power cables - whatever came with Marantz. Interconnect - whatever came with Marantz SA7001KI. Generic speaker stands won in a letter-of-the-month contest (Sun newspaper audio section) circa '96. I think looking at this, to spend on RM3k cables would be kinda affraid
scudracer
scudracer
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:50 pm

My setup is moderate also. NAD C370 Integrated amp, Marantz 63KI, Dali Royal Menuet 2. I am not an expert in this, but I would like to tell from my personal experiment. I did change my amp AC power cable to a thicker AWG one. Which the original is flimsy build-in AC power cord. The flimsy build in one is considered as a balance wire as cable is lays side by side, which assist on reducing EMI.

The replacement thicker AC power cable is done by having 2 seperate insulated wire and twisted together.

Now, not only it is balance, it is twisted as well. It brought a noticeable changes in over music reproduction. The musical note is more hard hitting with better synergy. Overall presentation is more "stealth" like... maybe due to lower distortion. And all are done with 0 cost.

We have to understand how resistance play the part here and frankly speaking I dont think there is much improvement can be made here, as the original cord may have the same resistance value if not better than the top brand power you invest in.

And the remaining thing to play around are: shielding, inductance, capacitance... which to certain extend, it is not so critical for your power cord that doesnt run by 10++ meter. Or you are having your hi fi next to a power room.

A good power cord is a must; but I reckon any 200~300 ringgit product is good enough while the 4 digits one can be described as luxurious.

Again, you must have a reviewing system to hear the difference! Often we conclude something that doesnt bring any audible difference when tested, is in fact due to system capability in doing so. Which I myself was 1 of them sometimes ago. And we must understand, not all tweak make a different in sound.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by dheensay Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:16 pm

I hail all the hifi "gurus" who can hear the difference !! I also hail "the emperor with new clothes" king

There is no such thing as a perfect system. Or rather, there is no system which is perfect for all music.

I read on an internet blog that the best thing you can do for your power cord is to rub a bit of grease on the pins....before sticking it into the wall socket...

Things started heating up (pun intended) about what "grease" to use....castol, goose~fat, mummys cooking oil etc...

Then they moved on to the amount of grease to use....a pinch, a dollop, a squeeze, a lick etc....

After which they resended on the fact that some "dollops" are bigger than others....and some people have longer tongues.... tongue ...more trouble

The long and the short of it is that a fancy power cord is great if you can afford it....Sort of like how you feel you are going "really fast" in a car with a BIG muffler Rolling Eyes It makes you feel good to know that your system looks, and mysteriously sounds better.

Does it let your system function to the best of its capacity....well thats a difference of opinion. And like all opinions - everyone is entitled to one, but it doesnt mean they are right Smile cheers

--------------- IMHO - In my Humor Only

dheensay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 131

Back to top Go down

Post by KenZen Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:09 am

I was one of those who didn't believe that an AC cord can make a difference so I have been using my Audiolab 8000A for the past 15 years with the included 12AWG Belden cable, which is much thicker than those 18AWG computer cable.

Audio interest got a revival recently, thanks to some like minded friends and the Internet has a flood of resources. After reading loads of articles, forums and reviews, I was convinced that Cryogenic treated cables makes a difference so I set about in search for 1. Came across a Taiwanese brand called IeGO that uses Furukawa's 99.999% pure copper going for USD69 in a Head-Fi forum. Pretty cheap compared to what Furukawa charges and with sound quality that matches Black Sand's Violet that costs more than USD200, a downright bargain. I was lucky to have found someone selling it in Singapore instead of having to order it from Taiwan and saved USD30 in shipping and they're cheaper at SGD95 too.

I took the plunge and bought 3 cables. After collecting it from my friend in Singapore, I replaced the Belden cable to my 8000A from my Bada power conditioner with upgraded cryo Hubbell sockets. Belden was moved to wall socket to Bada, replacing the thin computer type cord.

Powering on, I proceeded to play Mary Black's Columbus. I could hear better clarity across the board and the initial problem of slight brightness (after adding a DAC) was gone but the most apparent improvement was BASS. It was defined and tight and I heard mid bass I never knew existed. I was just amazed. Amazed that an AC cord can do so much to the sound. The cord needs 150hrs to run in but off the bat, it was a HUGE improvement.

Depending on your equipment, YMMV but I think you need at least something that is high resolution enough to let you hear the difference when you make the change. I don't think a RM3000 cable will turn my 8000A into a RM5000 sounding amp but the SGD95 IeGO provided all round musical improvement and it's worth every cent spent. Now, I wish I have a friend with a PS Audio cord that I can borrow and compare but really, how much more can it improve?

KenZen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:38 am

Hi Dheensay, I totally agreed with u on those minor details tweaking thing, which is meaningless.
But we need to understand some science involves in the wiring bits, about Resistance, Inductance, Impedance, noise!... EMI, Magnetic radiation...

After all, the AC current is the only mean used by your amp to make the musical notes to your speaker vibrating diaphragm, your amp may not have the full ability to filter out all the unnecessary noises... and those noises will have all the influence in your amplification. And you know why Hi fi need toroidal transformer? it is because of it low noise and low magnetism radiation...

Electro-magnetism or magnetism got a lot to do with the devil behind the final output of the amp. I am very interested in this subject, found some articles in the net about magnetism and almost gone haywired reading it. Wonder any Gurus out there can share this pair of information with us...

So KenZen, dont worry, science does able to explain why the differences can be heard by your system. But you are correct about the thousand dollar cable... which may do no difference than the one you have now.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722

Back to top Go down

Post by abel Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:26 am

what i experience before,
previously i using solid state amp at first i use Lorad 2.5 than change to Transparent i also cant tell the different
and currently i change to tube amp i test with this 2 cable really can hear the different even i test with my fren tube amp also can hear the different

I tested Lorad 2.5 give me more detail and better resolution but vocal slightly thin than swap to Transparent HPPL give more tight bass and dynamic but for detail Lorad 2.5 are better

abel

Number of posts : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by luxman Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:08 am

I just can't really hear the sound difference when switching cables after fiddling with hi fi for many years.I believe many do and i am really glad that i do not share their ability!...imagine the amount of money i saved.

As for me, i would rather upgrade my amp, speakers or source with the $$$ saved from the cables upgrade and can be very assured of an 'upgraded' sound.
Btw, the subtle differences worth the outlay? Maybe for others it is worthwhile, but definitely not for me.

luxman

Registration date : 2009-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by KenZen Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:27 pm

The way I see it, the ability for a system to show the difference depends on how revealing it is. On my Audiolab, I can hear a difference when I switch on the tone defeat button.

The same goes for any cables for that matter, be it interconnect, HDMI, digital cable, etc. One cannot expect much improvement by putting a rm1,000 cable on a rm500 system. The general rule of 10-20% cost of system for cables is still a good reference. A rm1,000 digital cable on a rm10,000 CDP will surely make a difference.

KenZen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by luxman Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:53 pm

KenZen,

My pre and power amp combination of 150 wpc is definitely 'revealing' enough to differentiate the sound from different cables. Any amp that is reasonable will definitely hear the difference immediately when you toggle the tone defeat button! Same goes for my spare Arcam amp.
But an immediate difference in cables?As i mentioned, i am lucky not to fall in that group of 'golden ears'.

Are you very sure a rm1000 digital cable will definitely make a difference on a rm10000 cdp?

luxman

Back to top Go down

Post by mustafa Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:36 pm

guys, i learned something from the magazine on how to check the noise n distortion. at the amp select cd input, turn on the cdp but dont play it, then adjust the amp volume to the maximum. put your ear to the speaker. u shouldnt hear anything or maybe very minimal (normally ssssssh sound) coming from your speaker, but if u hear any sound thats mean something wrong with the power cables or earthing. i'm not sure how far we can believe this theory but why dont u try, its free!
mustafa
mustafa
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:11 pm

I have tried to compare Supra Lorad and Kimber Kable power cables on my CDP. Kimber is slightly more expensive.
The difference is not a huge step forward but definitely the sound characteristics have differences.
Maybe it also depends on our systems.
I suspect different equipments will give different results.
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post by SHS Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:39 pm

Some time also depend for your ears, some people can heard the difference some can not.
So if u can't heard the difference that mean u can save alot $$$$ Very Happy
For me I can heard the difference between normal computer power cable compare to Supra entry level power cable. Mad

SHS
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:23 am

Agree. Our hearing might be different as well.
If I could not hear the difference, I would not buy the cables for sure.
Apart from that, if the difference is not much and the price is too high, I would not buy either. Razz
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by pocoyo Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:02 pm

After reading all the comments i think i might postpone the idea of changing my power cables...i thought the sound difference is fast and clear like changing the interconnect or speaker cables..guess i might be wrong..but i bet there is a difference but you have to use proper equipment to check (resonance, impedance, noise etc.)

pocoyo

Registration date : 2009-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Hi-Fi 4 Sale Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:46 pm

pocoyo wrote:After reading all the comments i think i might postpone the idea of changing my power cables...i thought the sound difference is fast and clear like changing the interconnect or speaker cables..guess i might be wrong..but i bet there is a difference but you have to use proper equipment to check (resonance, impedance, noise etc.)

There is diversity of opinions in this forum and this is one of the best things to happen if done respectfully, which we hope happens in Hi-Fi 4 Sale.

Based on experience, there are some cases where some power cords do give an immediate difference (for better or for worse) in performance. Give it a try. It is totally up to you to decide for yourself whether the benefit is worth springing for. Smile
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Streamer
Amplification: Amps
Speakers: Speakers

https://www.hifi4sale.net

Back to top Go down

Post by teleman51 Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:29 pm

Yeah admin,
Totally agree with you on the good of the diversity of opinions
part.
This is what make it all the more interesting.
All opinions are more or less subjective, based on our own experiences.
Each of us would probably hear differently the same song or music differently. Smile
I for one am just starting out,without the big bucks needed to get relly into HiFi,but am learning with the good brothers sharing in this forum. Laughing
Mine is a very2 modest system, which I use to listen to Cliff Richard,Bread, The Carpenters,The Eagles, Doobie Brothers and basically music of the 70's.I get I'm stuck in that time warp Sad

So to all who cared to share, a big thank you. cheers

teleman51
teleman51
teleman51
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by auronthas Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:50 pm

It's good sign to see positive feedback and discussion among members and the foremost part is to share experience and learn from each others.

Keep up the great and positive culture on this forum, HIFI is an interesting yet exciting hobby. Razz

Have a great weekend all

Auronthas

Exotic A/C power cables - any difference? Treble12 Easy Listening - Jazz - Classical - New Age
auronthas
auronthas

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by fay Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:19 pm

teleman51, you will be suprised by how good the quality of TNB's cables is. Very Happy

Don't go by brand, or $$$. Choose wisely, you may hear a difference.

Read this --> Speaker Wire - A History

fay

Number of posts : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by KenZen Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:22 pm

luxman,

Well, it's not just a matter of pre/power but IMO, the speakers play the biggest role in how revealing a system is. My friend recently upgraded his Cyrus CD6SE to CD8x and his ProAc Studio 125 reveals the vast improvement with ease. He then replaced his old Chord interconnect to Chord Chameleon Silver Plus (retails in RM7xx range) and it gave him extra hi details, cleaner mids and more controlled bass.

OK, tone defeat was a bad example. Manufacturers won't put it there if there's no audible difference. My bad. But really, I can hear a difference when I replaced my XLO interconnect with a SignalCable and I can hear SIGNIFICANT differences when my friend replaced his Pasar Road interconnect with a branded cable without any burn-in. OK, we can hear it very clearly coz he was very happy with the RM330 spent.

I'd say it's all fine and dandy that you save $ since you can't hear any difference but honestly, it doesn't take "golden ears" to hear the differences. Different people will have different mileage. I have a very skeptical friend who once was very adament that "Digital Signal cable cannot make any difference! It's all zero and one digital bits. How can a cable make any difference?". He was obviously very quiet when I took my Audioquest optical cable over to "show" him the difference on his system.

So am I very sure a rm1000 interconnect will definitely make a difference? Well, I can hear the difference between a rm200 to a rm330 to a rm700 interconnect so you know my answer.

KenZen
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:10 pm

KenZen wrote:I was one of those who didn't believe that an AC cord can make a difference so I have been using my Audiolab 8000A for the past 15 years with the included 12AWG Belden cable, which is much thicker than those 18AWG computer cable.

Audio interest got a revival recently, thanks to some like minded friends and the Internet has a flood of resources. After reading loads of articles, forums and reviews, I was convinced that Cryogenic treated cables makes a difference so I set about in search for 1. Came across a Taiwanese brand called IeGO that uses Furukawa's 99.999% pure copper going for USD69 in a Head-Fi forum. Pretty cheap compared to what Furukawa charges and with sound quality that matches Black Sand's Violet that costs more than USD200, a downright bargain. I was lucky to have found someone selling it in Singapore instead of having to order it from Taiwan and saved USD30 in shipping and they're cheaper at SGD95 too.

I took the plunge and bought 3 cables. After collecting it from my friend in Singapore, I replaced the Belden cable to my 8000A from my Bada power conditioner with upgraded cryo Hubbell sockets. Belden was moved to wall socket to Bada, replacing the thin computer type cord.

Powering on, I proceeded to play Mary Black's Columbus. I could hear better clarity across the board and the initial problem of slight brightness (after adding a DAC) was gone but the most apparent improvement was BASS. It was defined and tight and I heard mid bass I never knew existed. I was just amazed. Amazed that an AC cord can do so much to the sound. The cord needs 150hrs to run in but off the bat, it was a HUGE improvement.

Depending on your equipment, YMMV but I think you need at least something that is high resolution enough to let you hear the difference when you make the change. I don't think a RM3000 cable will turn my 8000A into a RM5000 sounding amp but the SGD95 IeGO provided all round musical improvement and it's worth every cent spent. Now, I wish I have a friend with a PS Audio cord that I can borrow and compare but really, how much more can it improve?

I have the IeGO power chord too and I must admit that this cable really enhanced the details. But I dislike the IEC plug which does not always fit well into the socket.

Last edited by tycham on Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by teleman51 Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:36 pm

thanks fav,

I really appreciate the link you gave me.
Got me thinking again.But really, some cable stuff I bought on this site recently really opened up my perception on cables.They were just middle of the road stuff but made a world of a difference.
Those TNB cables need to be checked out. lol!

Cheers

teleman51
teleman51
teleman51
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by teleman51 Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi Siva,

Share somewhat the same opinion as you. Very Happy

This thread is looking good with some solid feedback.I am going to try to go the DIY way as thre are lots of sites on the internet giving out some really good ideas. Shocked

Am really studying the various idaes put forth and hope to settle in soon.
And it's also my financial situation that's forced me in that direction. Sad

I also like doing things for myself for the sheer joy and satisfaction of it and I guess that takes the anxiety and drudgery out of embarking on a DIY project.Besides, I'll have total control over cost and I won't have to feel guilty of whether I've overpaid. No I'm a sucker for a good salesman,so that may well be part of the problem. Very Happy No Mr.Universe lookalikes for me thanks.
Stay healthy & happy Siva

Just my 2 sen worth.

teleman51
teleman51
teleman51
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by scudracer Tue May 05, 2009 7:32 am

If you're gonna DIY use the Schaffner 9244 and please compare with some Python/Anaconda cable. cyclops
scudracer
scudracer
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by teleman51 Tue May 05, 2009 9:15 am

Hi Scud,
welcome back to the forum. Laughing

Was contacted by the local distributor for the Schaeffner IEC filter which you mentioned and he told me they have yet to bring in this model.
So as it it stands I haven't had the opportunity to move on my DIY power cable
project. Shocked

teleman51
teleman51
teleman51
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Tue May 05, 2009 9:57 am

scudracer wrote:If you're gonna DIY use the Schaffner 9244 and please compare with some Python/Anaconda cable. cyclops

Hi scud..in term of sound quality thats mean if we change to Scaffner
9244 filter is enough already and use normal power cable can compare
with Anaconda power cord???

TQ
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1294
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by scudracer Tue May 05, 2009 3:59 pm

From an engineering point of view, any good power cable as used by computers, etc. with a Schaffner filter should be enough. A power cable is not supposed to, or designed to filter out noise, is it?

http://www.schaffner.com/components/en/product/productL22.asp

Is there a power cable branded 'Anaconda'? I was just joking! Shocked But a disclaimer - I will lose my skepticism if they can give a technical report (quantifiable/measureable) on the usage of such cables, before and after.
scudracer
scudracer
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Tue May 05, 2009 5:28 pm

scud..all dealers will lose sale on power cord laaaa...maybe they will angry with ur explanation

p/s--to look for schaffner filter cheers

TQ...TQ...TQ SCUD
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1294
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Tue May 05, 2009 8:54 pm

Actually it is not a matter of exotic or not but sometimes a matter of the current needs of the amplifier. Some Krell amplifiers for e.g. comes with a requirement for a power supply that can supply 20amps at 110V (or 10amps at 220V) and this is required for the amplifier to work at its optimum. So then we also need to look at the size of the power cord (check the electrical standards and you will see that 20amps requires at least a certain guage or thickness of wire to transmit properly). This relationship of current capability and wire thickness (or guage) is well documented in electrical engineering from what I understand (but I don't know the actual equations of course). In theory this also means that you should also try to dedicate a single power outlet to the Krell amp (since that one is rated at 13amps only). Imagine have a pair of Krell monoblocks, each requiring 10amps. That means if you power both off the same circuit 'ring', they might actually trip that MCB in our DB since each MCB is usually rated at 16amps.

However, I am not sure how this issue of power cord affects the more cost effective amplifiers but for sure you should not use too small a power cord. Usually the rule of thumb is that you need to use -at least- the quality of the power cord as supplied by the manufacturer - i.e. what comes with the amp. Usually a better cord often gives better result. Just like how better tyres improves the handling of the car compared to what is supplied by the manufacturer (right scud ? Smile )

The KLAV show is coming soon actually (July) so it would be interesting to visit the Norman Audio room (at least) just to take a look at what kind of power cords is required to power an amp the quality of a Krell. Try to take a peep inside the amps as well, just to see the size of the transformer and capacitors. Similar quality amps from other manufacturer will require the same as well.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Tue May 05, 2009 10:56 pm

scudracer wrote:

Is there a power cable branded 'Anaconda'? I was just joking! Shocked But a disclaimer - I will lose my skepticism if they can give a technical report (quantifiable/measureable) on the usage of such cables, before and after.

This is an Anaconda by Shunyata Research.

Exotic A/C power cables - any difference? Shunyataanacondahelix

Anybody got one to lent for a week or so?
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by M7 Wed May 06, 2009 1:45 am

A well set up system in a dedicated room can tell the difference when using different power cords.

However, more expensive power cords does not mean better sound. It depends on matching

Sometimes a good power cord used in pc can outperform more expensive ones

My system sounds different with different power cord but not much.
M7
M7
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Wed May 06, 2009 11:09 am

tycham wrote:
scudracer wrote:

This is an Anaconda by Shunyata Research.

Exotic A/C power cables - any difference? Shunyataanacondahelix

Anybody got one to lent for a week or so?

The name Anaconda really fits this cable.
The diameter of the cable really justifies the name. Shocked
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Wed May 06, 2009 10:47 pm

[quote="car o scope"][quote="tycham"]
scudracer wrote:
The name Anaconda really fits this cable.
The diameter of the cable really justifies the name. Shocked

They also have the Python. Looks really slithery.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Thu May 07, 2009 9:07 am

After reading your post, I went to check their products at the webpage. Just look at those sizes... aiyoyo.. Razz

Here's the link:
Shunyata - CX series
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by scudracer Sat May 09, 2009 2:24 pm

WongKN - yeah the tyre thing I agree. You've seen what happens when moronic procurement fellas ignore R&D specified tyres for a certain 2.0L car thinking since both the 1.7L and 2.0L are the same size they could 'commonise'. 'Bodoh-Sombong' to the max.

But for cables and all that I say it's nothing against those selling or those who want to buy (think about the lyrics in Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics). It's just that the people who can afford it can just go out and buy something and 'experiment'.

The ones who really love music and audio stuff, struggle and save money to buy something, and they stand to lose a lot if they get something being advertised as having properties which are speculative and not based on fact, without measurements, datasheets, etc. to back them up.

Just my 2 Sen but anyway it's good to have a nice forum discussion without the flaming and immature ego slamming action we see on some forums! Wink
scudracer
scudracer
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:39 pm

KenZen wrote:luxman,

He then replaced his old Chord interconnect to Chord Chameleon Silver Plus (retails in RM7xx range) and it gave him extra hi details, cleaner mids and more controlled bass.

I think you miss out something, or maybe that would only happens after the cable had run-in.

With the Chameleon the soundstage should opened up and the instruments placement should be apparent.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Hi-Fi 4 Sale Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:13 am

scudracer wrote:WongKN - yeah the tyre thing I agree. You've seen what happens when moronic procurement fellas ignore R&D specified tyres for a certain 2.0L car thinking since both the 1.7L and 2.0L are the same size they could 'commonise'. 'Bodoh-Sombong' to the max.

Wink

Bro,
As an aside, are you referring to the 1.7L car with 1668cc displacement and running Goodyear NCT5 195/60R15 tyres? Razz
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Streamer
Amplification: Amps
Speakers: Speakers

https://www.hifi4sale.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dheensay Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:10 pm

Power cords would be the last thing i change in my system. I think i would rather spend money on the speaker cables and interconnects.

Its more of "tweeking" a system that you are happy with then expecting "big gains" in sound improvement.

dheensay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 131

Back to top Go down

Post by scudracer Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:11 pm

Hi-Fi 4 Sale I was once a product planner for a Japanese car company's Malaysian subsidiary where the tire incident took place. WongKN knows this story well.
scudracer
scudracer
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wabun Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:42 pm

a power trans did more noticeable improvement in sound compare to power cable. RM3K can get at least a 2KVA junior..

wabun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Character sheet
Source(s): Mac mini - Bryston BDP - Calyx DAC 24/192 - Rega P8
Amplification: Jumpan Balance - ARC VT100Mk3 - Musical Fidelity FX
Speakers: JBL 4313B , Harbeth P3esr

Back to top Go down

Exotic A/C power cables - any difference? Empty with out a doubt Power cables make a difference

Post by hmmmisthatright Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:56 pm

I used to sell some of the very finest in hi-end audio video systems for over 30 years. Yes you need to have a reasonably detailed system to hear the differences and improvements that hi end power cords will provide. Best bet and most dealers will allow you to try them at home we did all the time. Not only were the power cord that we recommended expensive, we never had ONE brought back after listening to it. I even had reviewers after hearing them, said they were totally blown away. Try them sometime. Aural Symphonics out of Arizona clearly the best power cord Ive ever heard.

But yes power cords do make a difference and if you have a decent system you will hear a difference. more open, better dynamics, better extension, clearly an improvement not just a difference.

I am not a fan in line conditioners, I have not heard one that improves the sound.

Kevin

hmmmisthatright

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next