Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Speaker stand Steel or wood ?

+4
air-11
BrAvO
alex
Opera
8 posters

Go down

Speaker stand Steel or wood ? Empty Speaker stand Steel or wood ?

Post by Opera Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:01 pm

Just wondering which is better ? Steel or Wood ?

Is the ATS brand located at Amcorp Mall up to the par ?

Opera
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Speaker stand Steel or wood ? Empty Re: Speaker stand Steel or wood ?

Post by alex Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:03 am

<RM400 4 pillar sand fillable steel type. These are local made, brandless / generic.

Don't believe in speaker stand brand unless those dedicated for Sonus Faber, Harbeth, etc.

alex
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by BrAvO Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:57 am

Emm.... Try the Audio Physics speaker stands, looks good & sound good too. Around RM1000 +-
BrAvO
BrAvO
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by air-11 Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:06 pm

Even better - SOLID MARBLE. Weighs "a ton" but provides true resonance-free / vibration-free performance. Malaysia has luxurious white Ipoh marble deposits which can be customised into speaker stands according to the speakers dimensions.

air-11
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2009-03-08

http://www.sr-marble.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Opera Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:51 pm

air-11,

are you using one, since you from Ipoh ? Very Happy

Opera
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by air-11 Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:16 am

Good spot! I just had one custom made to fit perfectly to the dimension (exact width and length) of my ProAc Tablette 50 Signature speakers. Used la solid 1 piece local white marble as the main column with a granite plinth at its base.

It weighs about 70kg each and is literally unmovable like a "rock". The brain child of combining a hifi enthusiast with a marble factory that has a skilled workforce Smile

Foreign hifi companies use wood and steel coz its easy to manufacture and cheaper to transport (weight is always a cost issue for imports). Ipoh is very near KL and workers here are cheap too!

air-11
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Opera Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:10 am

what is the cost to custom made a pair ? I'm interrested.

Opera
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by air-11 Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:59 am

Estimated price (including sending it down to KL) is only approximately RM1000. Obviously the cost also depends on the dimension of your speaker and how you want to custom make your soild marble speaker stand.

air-11
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hi-Fi 4 Sale Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:31 am

air-11 wrote:Good spot! I just had one custom made to fit perfectly to the dimension (exact width and length) of my ProAc Tablette 50 Signature speakers. Used la solid 1 piece local white marble as the main column with a granite plinth at its base.

It weighs about 70kg each and is literally unmovable like a "rock". The brain child of combining a hifi enthusiast with a marble factory that has a skilled workforce Smile

Foreign hifi companies use wood and steel coz its easy to manufacture and cheaper to transport (weight is always a cost issue for imports). Ipoh is very near KL and workers here are cheap too!

Bro,
Would you be keen to post a picture here of your stands for reference?

Many thanks,
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Character sheet
Source(s): Streamer
Amplification: Amps
Speakers: Speakers

https://www.hifi4sale.net

Back to top Go down

Post by air-11 Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:59 am

Gladly! Will do it over the weekend as it will only be delivered to my home tomorrow.

Both speaker stands weigh 130kg combined! Will also post pics of a matching hifi rack using solid marble support columns - this one weighs another staggering 109kg!!! Would only recommend this to hifi users who have a strong back...

The idea behind these speaker stands was inspired by those of Sonus Faber's Guarneri (which has a stone plinth) and taking one step further by building the whole stand with solid marble.

Every speaker stand will be one-of-a-kind because every different stone it is made out of will have different swirls, veins and colour. Not even every owner of a B&W Nautilus or a Wilson Audio WAMM can say theirs is one-of-a-kind in the world! Smile

air-11
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by air-11 Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:54 am

Here are pics of my solid marble (with granite plinth) speaker stand. These are custom made to the dimensions of my speakers so that it covers the complete footprint of the speakers. Why?

Answer: As most experienced audiophiles will know, speakers are heaviest at the front - thats where the speaker driver's magnets are located. As a result, fitting your speaker on a speaker stand which has a much smaller base footprint means that it is very flimsy due to the uneven weight distribution (similar to how models try to balance a book on top of their head!). The earths gravitational pull on different ends of the speaker and the constant mechanical vibration from the speakers will only exarcebate the speaker's imbalance.

Therefore, by custom designing the speaker stand to the exact speaker footprint, all the weight is evenly distributed onto the stand's column. Accompanied with the use of a solid slab of marble which does not resonate / ring / vibrate, every watt of power will be able to be focussed on the speaker drivers to generate the pure music your quality speakers are meant to produce.

Here is a 3rd party website which supports my humble opinion:
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/akropolise.html

Speaker stand Steel or wood ? P1000513

Below is a closer view of the distinctive lines and colour on the marble column:

Speaker stand Steel or wood ? P1000514 (Click on the thumbnail for a bigger pic)

The picture below is of my speaker stands with a matching hifi rack made of the same materials:

Speaker stand Steel or wood ? P1000516 Speaker stand Steel or wood ? P1000517(Click on the thumbnails for a bigger pic)

Anyone interested to custom design their own pair of solid marble and granite speaker stands / hifi rack for their beloved hifi gears, please feel free to contact me at 019-5576669.

Would also appreciate if anyone has any opinions they care to share with me! Smile

air-11
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Opera Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:57 pm

the hifi rack looks cool !

Opera
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by air-11 Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:05 am

Thanks! The hifi rack is so absurdly heavy it takes 3 men to move it!

Price Guidelines (inclusive of door-to-door delivery):
Hifi Rack - RM2500
Speaker Stands - RM1300 (based on my speakers dimensions)

air-11
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hijau Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:47 am

hi air-11, they looks grand but how about the sound out of it..

hijau
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by air-11 Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:00 am

Its quite remarkable how any sound colouration disappears from the system. The inert base of the soild marble slab helps to eliminate any vibration / ringing / resonance from other conventional stands. And there are many reasons behind this:

The problem with all steel speaker stands is that it is not truly inert. Try knocking your knuckles on it and you will hear a ringing sound plus the vibrations on the steel surface. Imagine the effects a constantly vibrating speaker placed on top of it does to the sound. (likewise, on sand-filled steel speaker stands, the speakers energy is wasted on vibrating the sand particles which are not attached to the stand)

Now, try knocking your knuckles on a SOLID slab of marble / granite. Other than the dead sound of silence from the knock, people around you may sometimes hear the sound of you screaming in pain...

Moreover, there are ZERO moving parts in these stands. The connecting parts of the stand are attached with super strong industrial adhesives. One problem I always had with steel speaker stands is that no matter how hard you tighten the screws, it always eventually becomes loose over time - caused by the speakers constant vibration. This is why audio experts advise to tighten the screws of your speakers and speaker stands every now and then. If not your systems sound quality will deteriorate with time.

air-11
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Johan Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:44 am

Hi air-11,

This is awesome looking rack. What is the company's name that did this racks for you? Currently i have wooden rack and would like to upgarde it to the likes of yours.

Tq.

Johan

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by air-11 Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:54 am

The company is S.R.Marble (http://www.sr-marble.com), as I am the only "hifi-savvy" employee at the company, you are most welcomed to contact or make an order directly through me.

I am based at the marble factory here in Ipoh so you can rest assure that I will personally monitor the whole construction of your order, from marble stone to hifi rack, to the highest standards.

If interested, please email me at kwteh@mftr.com / call me at 012-5129689 / leave a reply on this post Smile

Thanks for the support!

Last edited by air-11 on Tue May 12, 2009 5:58 am; edited 2 times in total

air-11
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by air-11 Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:26 am

Please check out this article which was printed in TheStar newspaper:

http://sites.thestar.com.my/audio/story.asp?file=/2009/6/1/afnews/3967804&sec=afnews

air-11
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyhoysum Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:23 pm

I prefer wood coz it is warmer, metal is properly design is good else you will those metallic resonace and marble will it sound too cool sounding. Remember they use to make kenwood highend turntable using somekinda like marble. I try that and found too cool sounding, no warmth in it...
hoyhoysum
hoyhoysum
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Grundig 2070, Graetz Sinfonia Spizensuper 522, Saba Freiburg 14, Normende Phono Super V700
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down