Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Mcintosh Car CD head Unit problem

3 posters

Go down

Mcintosh Car CD head Unit problem Empty Mcintosh Car CD head Unit problem

Post by teleman51 Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:12 am

Hi everyone,
As the title of my thread suggests, there is a problem with my Mcintosh head unit in my car. Mcintosh Car CD head Unit problem Icon_sad This is a Japan( made by Clarion) unit from a half cut.
The CD player works fine when the car engine is turned off, but only has a problem when the engine is turned on, and refuses to play CD or MD.Only the radio is playable then.
The display either reads as "Focus error" or "Disc Error".
Thinking that it was a voltage issue, I had 5 point grounding installed together with a voltage stabilizer.
But no luck anyways. Mcintosh Car CD head Unit problem Icon_evil
I figure it may be a lens alignment problem or a dirty lens or worse a dying laser. Mcintosh Car CD head Unit problem Icon_eek
Anyone here with experience on problems of this nature?

Appreciate any input from anyone here. Mcintosh Car CD head Unit problem Icon_biggrin

Cheers & Shalom
teleman51
teleman51
teleman51
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): Marantz CD52 MK2.Ipod 4
Amplification: Marantz 2265 Receiver,Marantz 3800 Preamp,Marantz 140 Power amp,Marantz 1060 integrated
Speakers: Acoustic Energy Evo 1

Back to top Go down

Mcintosh Car CD head Unit problem Empty Re: Mcintosh Car CD head Unit problem

Post by cmboy Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:38 am

Quite typical symptom of a defective or flawed optical head inside and nothing to do with grounding or voltage issues. You'd have to have the optical head replaced.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by teleman51 Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi cmboy,
Thanks for the input.
This is what I was dreading.Took a chance in buying one of these but somehow was hoping it would be a problem free unit. Mcintosh Car CD head Unit problem Icon_biggrin
Sadly, it will cost quite a bit to have checked or replaced.
Any suggestions? Or will I have to send the head unit back to Clarion Malaysia. Mcintosh Car CD head Unit problem Affraid

Cheers & Shalom.
teleman51
teleman51
teleman51
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Amplification: Marantz 2265 Receiver,Marantz 3800 Preamp,Marantz 140 Power amp,Marantz 1060 integrated

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:38 pm

I think you'll have to send it to some reputable repairer thats mentioned in this forum. If its head replacement, its not really more complex than any other CDP, save for its compactness and figuring out careful dismantling on the technical side. Hopefully the correct replacement part can be obtained.
AFAIK, no main distri or agent may undertake other makes (even OEM) for repairs. Thats the trouble with make or brands that have little or no representation locally. If in USA...it could be as easy to Fedex the item back for repair at your cost. Sigh!.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by teleman51 Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:16 pm

Yeah cmboy,
I get what you're saying here.
Sadly,the Mcintosh head unit mentioned was never available locally but was installed on the Japanese Sabaru cars as an OEM.
Bought the entire setup locally from some guy heavy into ICE, and was pretty impressed with the sound quality.

One question that really bugs me is that why does the CD & MD play normally only when the engine is off, and then only shows the "Focus Error" or "DIsc Error" display when the engine is running.

Why would the optical head behave in such a manner when I turn on the ignition. Mcintosh Car CD head Unit problem Icon_question
Could it also mean the the optical head is functioning normally but some engine vibration or dip in voltage triggers it off.
This has got me all in a knot. Mcintosh Car CD head Unit problem Icon_evil
Does anyone else have any ideas to share other than those above.

Cheers & Shalom
teleman51
teleman51
teleman51
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:56 pm

I can only guess there may be some intermittent jamming at the mechanism. Nevertheless it'll need some detailed diagnosis and follow up repair. Highly suggested you bite the bullet and send the unit for repair to solve the problem once and for all. I think thats whats needed most than what went wrong with it.
Regards and good luck.

P.S. I don't know if this may work but put in a cd and switch between 1st and last track continuously for a while to see if it frees the mechanism from any kinks. I dunno lah..a wild guess again.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by kwwong Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:10 pm

Telemann, which model is the Mac? Model like 431m or clarion HX-D1 or D2 has a external DC DC power supply. That could be the problem. I don't think local clarion will service the unit for you, but can try.

But try something simple first, clean the lens see if it work or not. If this don't work you need to send in for repair.

kwwong
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by teleman51 Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:01 pm

cmboy,
Your last comments are noted.I have bitten enough bullets in my hifi journey that I'm surprised I have any teeth left to chew with.
Can't begin to tell you of the amount spent on servicing & repairs.
But that's all part of the hifi journey, just like owning a car.
Will see if Mr.Oh will be willing to tackle this one.Should not be that much of a problem for him.Thanks again cmboy.

kwwong,
can't say what model this is , only that it's a Mcintosh (Japan) made specially for Japanese Subaru cars.It's double Din which has both CD & MD slots.The tuner section only plays up to about 90Hz so the other local FM stations cannot be received unlesss I add a booster/converter.

Will see if this is a DC supply issue when I go back to the installer next week.Heard from some other guy that the local Clarion people will work on these units but will charge an arm and a leg. Mcintosh Car CD head Unit problem Affraid Like that wan lor!
But I'll give cmboy's suggestion a try tomorrow.
If all fails, it's back to the drawing board for me.Pity though.It's such a sweet sounding unit.

Cheers & Shalom
teleman51
teleman51
teleman51
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down