Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Power cords and its use

+22
zeebee
jokiarch
KenZen
adrian4454
car o scope
CT-Boy
VS126
htkaki
123_rocketman
bassraptor
noodle88
dheensay
bimmerman
elhefe
WongKN
dlyz
thegoodarcher
mugenfoo
tycham
wingman
bal
chua55
26 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Power cords and its use - Page 2 Empty Re: Power cords and its use

Post by mugenfoo Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:47 pm

WongKN wrote:
mugenfoo wrote:
WongKN wrote:I heard that mugenfoo's current favourite artist is susan boyle Very Happy

And WongKN is a fan of Fool's Garden.

I have proof. Razz

This I fully admit. But I couldn't find a non-disco mutiliated LP of Fool's Garden Lemon Tree yet. All the LPs available are those horrible boom-boom-boomy-boom-boom versions for DJ use at discos and clubs. Anyone knows of an original version LP anywhere ?

I will also fully admit to having LPs from Backstreet boys, Boyzone, and I am now looking at a Spice Girl LP. For my little niece to listen to when she comes to visit me when I am enjoying a session. Very Happy

To me, one must never be embarassed about one's musical taste. Again as my music teacher taught me, there is no right or wrong in musical taste. There is no such thing as a 'musical truth'. There is simply just music, only music and nothing else ! Very Happy

Ahhh ... next time, i show you my limited edition "Lady Gaga Picture Disc" LP.
jocolor
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:02 pm

bimmerman wrote:Of double edged swords, ignorance and bliss, here's one that won't go down well with most; But for the sake of discussion, here goes: If power cords make no difference on your system then your system is not sensative enough to gain from the use of upgraded powercords.

Once a friend of mine lent a couple of XLO power cords for me to try in my system. I didnt hear any difference.

Recently, I put a couple of RF filters into the same system and immediately I can 'hear' the quieter background.

What gives? scratch

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:18 pm

Well, it could be anything Mr. Rocketman. Somewhere downstream or upstream, something is not letting the benefits pass through. Ear wax maybe? Shocked
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Character sheet
Source(s): Mark Levinson
Amplification: KRELL
Speakers: Sonus Faber

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:33 pm

chua55 wrote:I have tried using RM 60 volex power cord, and others upto RM 1k on my cd transport and my friends transport. To qualify, the gears in test are quite sensitive to changes. (ahem, expensive lah)

so at the end, my friend immediatlly sold off his RM 500 power cord and opted for RM 1k power cord.

but the interesting part is why has power cord got to do with cd trasnport giving digital signals 0 and 1.

Well, my guess is that the writers of the Redbook (not Chairman Mao), built in a lot of error tolerance into Redbook thus read errors, digital transmission errors and such can still be converted back to sound without sounding like noise. So when the 1s and 0s and travelling from transport to DAC at 44,100 times a second, more than a few misread, misplaced and miscommunicated 0's and 1's will still form that audio waveform albeit slightly differently.

So the degree of audio data extraction your CD drive can extract and transfer to the DAC makes it sound different from another CD transport/DAC of another brand or caliber. Therefore when you supply power to your CD transport via different cords, the A/C waveform supplied is going to be different and it will play a part in the final presentation and that's why it will sound different.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:05 pm

A power cord is highly unlikely to cause the 1 and 0s to get jumbled up or flipped.
However a power cord would be able to influence the timings of the 1 and 0s sent in the bitstream. There is a magical word that describes this phenomenon. It's called "jitter".
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:14 pm

So the power cord can raise or lower the jitter or just cause a different jittering between different power cords and when this get's processed by the DAC into analogue waveforms we can perceive a difference for better or worse. Correct?

By the way Mugen, I cannot imagine how I ever managed it without that DTI thingy. Can't live without it these days.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:19 pm

WongKN wrote:
mugenfoo wrote:
WongKN wrote:I heard that mugenfoo's current favourite artist is susan boyle Very Happy

And WongKN is a fan of Fool's Garden.

I have proof. Razz

This I fully admit. But I couldn't find a non-disco mutiliated LP of Fool's Garden Lemon Tree yet. All the LPs available are those horrible boom-boom-boomy-boom-boom versions for DJ use at discos and clubs. Anyone knows of an original version LP anywhere ?

I will also fully admit to having LPs from Backstreet boys, Boyzone, and I am now looking at a Spice Girl LP. For my little niece to listen to when she comes to visit me when I am enjoying a session. Very Happy

To me, one must never be embarassed about one's musical taste. Again as my music teacher taught me, there is no right or wrong in musical taste. There is no such thing as a 'musical truth'. There is simply just music, only music and nothing else ! Very Happy
Lemon Tree?! Shocked

When it was popular back then, everywhere I went be it shopping centers, in the mini bus, Petaling Street, commuting in SKS (KL-Sban express bus) Lemon Tree is blasting for like a gazzillion times. LOL...Heck, it is a simple nice music but back then it was like overdosed.

Ahhh ... next time, i show you my limited edition "Lady Gaga Picture Disc" LP. jocolor
I had seen it lol!

I had tried out a few power cords. Each with its own characteristic. It does make a difference.
htkaki
htkaki
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 674
Registration date : 2009-01-22

http://www.htkaki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:20 pm

From a more laymen's viewpoint, I always highlight to people that no matter whatthe equipment, they are basically taking your wall supply and molding it into an audio signal. The CD transport, what it does is to take the wall supply, and depending on the contents of the CD, modulates it into a stream of digital '1' and '0', actually DC voltage. In actual electrical conditions, these 1's and 0's are presented by voltage and absence of voltage. I am not sure what is the standard used but in some computers, its 5V and 0V. Then the detection of a 1' or 0', it depends on the sampling of the incoming wire for its current voltage at specific intervals, in this case, 44.1 kHz. Thus the saying "garbage in, garbage out". If you are cooking a meal, the better the ingredients, the more the food. It is the same here. The better the power supply, the better the equipment is able to do their job. This is why the higher-end the equipment, you will see lots of attention paid to the power supply. Now consider that the power cord is considered part of the power supply itself....

Bimmerman, well said, well said. This is why I said that we MUST be honest with ourselves, what we know is our level and there is always a higher level out there. What we cannot hear, doesn't necessarily mean it does not exist.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:55 pm

bimmerman wrote:Well, it could be anything Mr. Rocketman. Somewhere downstream or upstream, something is not letting the benefits pass through. Ear wax maybe? Shocked

Good point. Should visit a good ENT to clear the hardened wax accumulated over 50+ years. Very Happy

Any good ENT around?

But, wait a minute, why I can hear the diff with the RF filters? scratch

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:12 pm

BTW, just listened to a friend's set up recently. Top notch music with all the macros and micros and rendered 1812 with very realistic cannon shots which not only can you hear the sputtering after the explosion but also feel the vibrations. Gunshots from Wellington Victory was so realistic that I almost ducked for cover.

What power cables he uses in the system? Ordinary. Nothing fancy and I definitely didn't see any slithering Anaconda on the floor.

He uses 0.8mm solid single core transformer wire as speaker cables. Twisted Evil

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:36 pm

Good day Mr Rocketman,

Perhaps if yr friend use better power cords, you can actually feel the pain from the gunshots?

We can never know what we are missing until we try it.
VS126
VS126

Number of posts : 640

Character sheet
Source(s): MacMini, 16GB RAM, SSD with Clones mPsu / Clones Asher DSD Dac
Amplification: Crayon CFA 1.2, Red Dragon S500, Clones Audio 25PM /AP2
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by CT-Boy Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:43 pm

If you can pump out in access of 140dB, you will feel the pain! No exotic cables necessary. LOL!
CT-Boy
CT-Boy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2010-01-24

Character sheet
Source(s): Pioneer PL-518X
Amplification: D'Bomb
Speakers: Monitor Audio RA252

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:54 pm

Yeah, my old setup was Valve monoblocks, 75 watts per channel comprising 8 EL34 tubes and Audionote Pre shod with Mullards and Teleflunkers. Used power cord from HP Printer, one black colour, one grey colour, not even matched. Sounds sweet as honey! Never got to try better powercords on them but they sounded heavenly as they were so why bother. So, I know what you're talking about.

So the reverse is ture then? Superduper setups don't rely so heavily on powercords while lesser systems do? Could be true but still too subjective to put a finger on. I know Quads of old don't need fancy powercords. In fact all they need for speaker wire is wire. Wire from a table lamp will do just fine. So how to explain that? I really don't know but my system now comprising of mostly solid state electronics does need fancy smancy powercords to be at it's best. As always, your mileage may vary bro.

But i'm quite sure the occult has nothing much to do with it. Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:26 pm

Archer....

thegoodarcher wrote:Wingman - the Beldens have the model number (83803) + i used a nickel ferrite core with the cable under the mk plug (see below)
http://www.intermark-usa.com/products/EMC/Ferrite/TFC_TFCK_series.shtml
i had the ferrites attached about 10 cm from the MK plug - they were inexpensive.

Have the ferrites on my power cables, will check out the beldens and volex.

cheers Very Happy
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 855
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:32 pm

Just to put it simply so everyone can relate to.

If you are driving vintage cars, no matter what after market modifications you put in, it is just a waste of money coz of the car's limited capabillity but if you were to do it to yr BMW or other high performance cars, it is a different story.

Just apply above to hifi.

Rocketman,

Ferrites will limit the dynamic range. Cardas uses it in their top of line power cord (at that time) the Golden Reference and those who bought it remove the ferrites. Cardas have now remove the ferrites from their power cords. So does a lot of cable manufacturers. It used to be very popular at one time but now hardly any cable manufacturer uses them.

Nowadays, ferrites are usually used in computer cable ie printer cables.

Yr case might be different
VS126
VS126

Character sheet
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:08 pm

Useful tips seen. I am seeing more of the comments which are quite true to what I see in the top end cables.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:46 pm

Good to also bear in mind that whatever exotic cable we use for the last 2 metres or so from the wall to the equipment , there is still 10~20 metres of the junk crap buried inside the walls. Unless u are so lucky to have a very supportive member of family(ahem ahem... ) to re-wire your hifi room from the DB panel right up to the wall socket. OK, mebbe your regular electrician will do also.

Remember reading a white paper from the XLO website some time back that they do not emphasise so much on EMI or RF rejection, because its a moot point since the rest of the home cablings are already exposed to such EM pollutions already. But rather focus more on carrying a good 60Hz AC cable to ensure best AC power delivery.

Also bear in mind that most if not all US brands would optimise their AC cords for 60Hz, instead of our 50Hz electricity. The difference is not that much, but worthwhile to note.

If anyone can get some old stock of vandenHul SCS 12, CS 12 or CS6 cables, these are wonderful as DIY AC cords. Super heavy gauge & robust insulation. But good to add another outer nylon cage tubing for added home safety.

Ferrites increase the inductance of the cable. Which could have both a positive or negative effect on the equipment depending on whether your home supply is more tending towards being inductive or reactive coupled with the hifi equipment.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:05 pm

bimmerman wrote:Yeah, my old setup was Valve monoblocks, 75 watts per channel comprising 8 EL34 tubes and Audionote Pre shod with Mullards and Teleflunkers. Used power cord from HP Printer, one black colour, one grey colour, not even matched. Sounds sweet as honey! Never got to try better powercords on them but they sounded heavenly as they were so why bother. So, I know what you're talking about.

wow that is something really interesting. beside enjoying music, can also watch the glow at nite, quite romantic. For me, those days are gone with the kids.

When I am old enuf, I will keep my HP color printer power cord incase they are handy.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:30 pm

Yeah Chua, with the kids it usually means the end of romance for us parents. At least until you get them hooked on the Wii and build a music room to lock yourself in. At least that's my plan if it ever takes off.

As for the HP printer power cord, don't count on it sounding good. It was probably my valve system which was not fussy about cords Laughing
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by thegoodarcher Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:09 pm

like mugenfoo said - not all houses are wired equally, its easier for some to rewire their home, for others its not so simple - hell, not everyone actually lives in a proper house (some may live in a building) for whatever reason - ferrites do help, but you must the judge to see if you like it or not - there are different kinds of ferrites (+ activating core materials besides ferrite) , just like there are different kinds of copper mined from different parts of the world some compounds are in-seperable from some copper though the general standard of tolerance being - 0-1 of impurities, in fact this is one of the main reason why most wires sound different (besides braiding/shielding etc) the oxygen free copper with -0.1 impurities are guided by the Jeweller's Council / Bullion Board - where its sonic properties are almost ignored - so you know how subjective all this can get..but i have word from a very reliable source that Japanese/Russian Copper have an edge due to little natural deposits of impurities as well as Peruvian Silver. - just sharing.

thegoodarcher
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:56 pm

How bout that single crystal copper then? Those are said to sound good for audio applications. And then that Japanese Ohno dude comes along and creates Perfect Crystal Ohno Continuous Cast.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:10 pm

VS126 wrote:
Rocketman,

Ferrites will limit the dynamic range. Cardas uses it in their top of line power cord (at that time) the Golden Reference and those who bought it remove the ferrites. Cardas have now remove the ferrites from their power cords. So does a lot of cable manufacturers. It used to be very popular at one time but now hardly any cable manufacturer uses them.

Nowadays, ferrites are usually used in computer cable ie printer cables.

Yr case might be different

Bro, I didnt use the Ferrites clamps as RF filter. Mine is like a piece of butter which i posted the brand and link earlier.

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:16 pm

VS126 wrote:Good day Mr Rocketman,

Perhaps if yr friend use better power cords, you can actually feel the pain from the gunshots?

We can never know what we are missing until we try it.

On the contrary, he was advised against using any fancy power cords by the amp designer and builder.

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:18 pm

bimmerman wrote:Yeah, my old setup was Valve monoblocks, 75 watts per channel comprising 8 EL34 tubes and Audionote Pre shod with Mullards and Teleflunkers. Used power cord from HP Printer, one black colour, one grey colour, not even matched. Sounds sweet as honey! Never got to try better powercords on them but they sounded heavenly as they were so why bother. So, I know what you're talking about.

So the reverse is ture then? Superduper setups don't rely so heavily on powercords while lesser systems do? Could be true but still too subjective to put a finger on. I know Quads of old don't need fancy powercords. In fact all they need for speaker wire is wire. Wire from a table lamp will do just fine. So how to explain that? I really don't know but my system now comprising of mostly solid state electronics does need fancy smancy powercords to be at it's best. As always, your mileage may vary bro.

But i'm quite sure the occult has nothing much to do with it. Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad

So, can we conclude by saying that some like it hot and some like it cold? Very Happy

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:29 pm

bimmerman wrote:I know Quads of old don't need fancy powercords. In fact all they need for speaker wire is wire. Wire from a table lamp will do just fine.

Not quite bro. Yes they dont need fancy power cord but Quad used to produce (or OEM) their own interconnects and speaker cables. There were two types of speaker cables produced, one flat and the other round. The former for <100 watts and the latter >100 watts amp.

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by thegoodarcher Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:29 pm

bimmerman i've not experienced the crystal copper, but hope to.
the piece of butter like RF filter, i suspect is indeed ferrite but not in a clamp form it also acts like an electromagnetic-stabilizer, much like the "Shakti" Stabilizer (Ferrite + Trap Circuit ) perhaps at a much smaller scale - but i cant be too sure.

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/audiovideo.htm

thegoodarcher
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by dheensay Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:42 pm

bimmerman wrote:Of double edged swords, ignorance and bliss, here's one that won't go down well with most; But for the sake of discussion, here goes: If power cords make no difference on your system then your system is not sensative enough to gain from the use of upgraded powercords.

I once believed that power cords did not make a difference and even speaker cables did not make a difference for short runs. Especially digital cables. Well, digital is digital right? Wrong! Ouch but true.

I've tried Furutech, Oyaide, Wireworld, Transparent and each cable brings about changes. Subtle and not at all subtle. So for those who don't hear a difference, what gives?

I find it interesting that we discuss power cords, speaker cables etc with the notion that we can "hear a difference".

I am not questioning whether it is perceived, or otherwise. But i am curious....
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHICH CORD, or CABLE is actually the one that best replicates what the original sample recording is supposed to sound like?

When i change cables, i also hear differences, some sound better, some not so good. Are we then "fine tuning" music to our own liking instead of listening to it the way it was recorded? I know many who shun at the thought of bass+treble controls on amps. Yet we are trying to control the sound thru cords?

After all - stick your finger in your ears OR stick you finger in your nostril and you will also "hear a difference".

Not being funny, just wondering. I hope someone can help shed some light on this. TQ

P.S. I am a hifi-noob. Admittedly so.

dheensay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 131

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:48 pm

When you like what you hear and it tallies with all (or most) of your expectations as to what your last live musical experience sounded like, then that's the right one. But having said that, my last valve system sounded furthest from the truth, yet there was something about the sound that was warm, inviting and oh so euphoric and that was right for me too. It's a personal choice and one's man's honey is another man's beetle juice. There's no right or wrong here.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:55 pm

Bro,

Sorry did not read yr earlier post on the slippery & butterly cable treatment. Will chk it out. Maybe pass me a few butterly to try it out on my open baffle system?

BTW, Most cable manufacturer have their own cable winding to eliminate emi/rfi interference.

FYI, most audio manufacturer do not advise the use of aftermarket add-ons.

VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:12 pm

Some manufacturers might have fixed the power cable to the components which I think it is valid to say that they do not advise aftermarket power cables.

But some manufacturers which designed detachable power cables for their products should also have some valid reasons behind the intended design. Very Happy

Off topic a bit.. Joke a bit..
What if we plug the expensive power cable to a kettle?
Wonder if the water can boil faster and become tastier.. hmmm..
hahahahahahahah... lol!
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:16 pm

Some of the DIY cables projects :

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/power.htm

cheers Very Happy
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 855
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:25 pm

car o scope wrote:S

hahahahahahahah... lol!

Why don't you give that a try and report back your findings! Very Happy
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:36 pm

tycham wrote:

Please sponsor me your expensive power cable and I shall try it and let you know!! Razz muahahahahahahaha...
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:38 pm

tycham wrote:

hahahahahahahah... lol!

Ya, and make sure your watch is swiss chronometer certified also ya .
But actually, a RM50 Casio Digital Quartz watch is already 100x more accurate than those so called "Swiss Certified Chronometer" COSC mechanical watches. The irony of it. Something 100x more accurate, yet at the same time 100x cheaper!
lol! lol! lol!
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:47 pm

mugenfoo wrote:

But actually, a RM50 Casio Digital Quartz watch is already 100x more accurate than those so called "Swiss Certified Chronometer" COSC mechanical watches. The irony of it. Something 100x more accurate, yet at the same time 100x cheaper!
lol! lol! lol!

Oooh.. In that case, I need you to sponsor me that kind of watch also coz I dont have one. hahahahahaha... lol!
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:30 pm

123_rocketman wrote:BTW, just listened to a friend's set up recently. Top notch music with all the macros and micros and rendered 1812 with very realistic cannon shots which not only can you hear the sputtering after the explosion but also feel the vibrations. Gunshots from Wellington Victory was so realistic that I almost ducked for cover.

What power cables he uses in the system? Ordinary. Nothing fancy and I definitely didn't see any slithering Anaconda on the floor.

He uses 0.8mm solid single core transformer wire as speaker cables. Twisted Evil

Hi rocketman,

U r wrong, your friend use the original ace orange cable because it's supply with the amp n the designer used it to voice the amp. I'm very sure by changing the powercord to others will make a different but for better or worse is another story. Personally I did changed it before.

R u sure your friend still use the 0.8mm magnet wire? Pay another visit n look carefully.....

Your friend's 2a3 amp is super low noise, any changes in the setup will sure make a big different.

Cheers,
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Turntable
Amplification: Tube gear
Speakers: High sensitivity speaker

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:45 pm

car o scope wrote:
mugenfoo wrote:

lol! lol! lol!

Oooh.. In that case, I need you to sponsor me that kind of watch also coz I dont have one. hahahahahaha... lol!

the Casio?? Anytime!!

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:51 pm

Really I like to heard what is our moderator favourite power cord in the system.

At the moment I am hooked to ribbon power cord, Ribbon XLR. also partly the ribbon speaker. Why ribbon is such a hooker ah.

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by dheensay Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:28 am

bimmerman wrote:When you like what you hear and it tallies with all (or most) of your expectations as to what your last live musical experience sounded like, then that's the right one. But having said that, my last valve system sounded furthest from the truth, yet there was something about the sound that was warm, inviting and oh so euphoric and that was right for me too. It's a personal choice and one's man's honey is another man's beetle juice. There's no right or wrong here.

You are quite right. Amidst all the fuss about being as neutral as possible, our expectations are the fundamental of a good listening session.

I have heard many live performers BOMB on stage, but do wonders with studio recordings. On the other hand, some great live performers are not able to bring their vibe and energy into the studio.

Having recently messed about with power cords, I have not experienced a dramatic change. Guessing once you have put together a system that meets your expectations - finding the right cord to match it will only heighten the listening experience ??

dheensay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 131

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:12 am

chua55 wrote:
Really I like to heard what is our moderator favourite power cord in the system.

FYI, after a bit of messing around with power cords about for 2 years, I finally settled on Furutech for my pre and power amps. Clearaudio for my source. My findings:

Cardas: A bit languid sounding. Good match for Ayre amps
Oyaide: Powerful presentation, but lacks some finesse
Acoustic Zen: Loads of bass, lacked some subtlety
Puresonic: Very cheap, rough sounding. But verycheap.
Black Rhodium: Great value, smooth balance
Standard pc: Best value (free with gear). Best of all, you'll never know any difference if you stick with them!

Of course, all this could just be a figment of my imagination, so take it with a pinch of salt ... Razz

Mugen: Have you checked Casio prices of late?

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1237
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

http://www.audiofi.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:29 am

car o scope wrote:Some manufacturers might have fixed the power cable to the components which I think it is valid to say that they do not advise aftermarket power cables.

But some manufacturers which designed detachable power cables for their products should also have some valid reasons behind the intended design. Very Happy

hahahahahahahah... lol!

I think it's a cost consideration. That's a valid enough reason. The relatively excellent but inexpensive Marantz CD63 came with a captive power cord to keep it's price low no doubt. Then the modders cut a hole at the back and implanted an IEC socket to accept aftermarket power cords and the sound really did improve. Same goes for the legendary Pioneer A400 integrated. So I think it's a cost consideration.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:32 am

car o scope wrote:
tycham wrote:

Please sponsor me your expensive power cable and I shall try it and let you know!! Razz muahahahahahahaha...

Here! Use this.

Power cords and its use - Page 2 01
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:41 am

bassraptor wrote:
chua55 wrote:

FYI, after a bit of messing around with power cords about for 2 years, I finally settled on Furutech for my pre and power amps. Clearaudio for my source. My findings:

Cardas: A bit languid sounding. Good match for Ayre amps
Oyaide: Powerful presentation, but lacks some finesse
Acoustic Zen: Loads of bass, lacked some subtlety
Puresonic: Very cheap, rough sounding. But verycheap.
Black Rhodium: Great value, smooth balance
Standard pc: Best value (free with gear). Best of all, you'll never know any difference if you stick with them!

Of course, all this could just be a figment of my imagination, so take it with a pinch of salt ... Razz

Mugen: Have you checked Casio prices of late?

Thanks for sharing Mr.Mod

Yeah, i've settled for Furutech for my Amp too. I went for the FP-3TS20 from a spool. A very contrasty cable this. Matches the contrasty nature of my Krell very well. I also have the FP-314AG and I sometimes switch to this for a more subdued presentation. Now my amp does Jeckyl and Hyde by alternating between these two powercords.

For digital sources I use Wireworld 5 squared.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:00 am

Correct me if I am wrong here; I like the fundamental electrical science stuff but never get to understand it completely most of the time.

Inductance in a Ferrite is a mean of absorb high frequency(mega hertz). They come with various value, and sometimes do bring ill effect to the final sound. And I remember reading debates of why Mega hertz is such devil eventhough we dont quite hear that in final sound reproduction. So, it is truly important to keep EMI and RFI at bay from the power in? Or has the amp itself done enough inside to have all these minimize before reaching the amplifying circuit? I guess those massive expensive equipment is less likely to get affected by this impurity from power to get pass it power supply unit.

Another thing, I also read somewhere; digital signal isnt being transmitted as 0v and 5v.. It is more like denser and less dense frequency modulation. As this is the best control against misread on a sring of "zero and one" during data streaming...

Please help to ease my pain of misconception Smile

Last edited by adrian4454 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by chua55 Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:13 am

hi

even the usb connection presents jitter. the modulation presents a band and if the band is fat enuf, the timing error can occur. in the case of spdif, the reflection in the coaxial cable, connectors, tec, can cause this to happen.

take a look at page 12 of the graph.

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/sllse29/sllse29.pdf

chua55
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:42 am

noodle88 wrote:
123_rocketman wrote:BTW, just listened to a friend's set up recently. Top notch music with all the macros and micros and rendered 1812 with very realistic cannon shots which not only can you hear the sputtering after the explosion but also feel the vibrations. Gunshots from Wellington Victory was so realistic that I almost ducked for cover.

Hi rocketman,

U r wrong, your friend use the original ace orange cable because it's supply with the amp n the designer used it to voice the amp. I'm very sure by changing the powercord to others will make a different but for better or worse is another story. Personally I did changed it before.

R u sure your friend still use the 0.8mm magnet wire? Pay another visit n look carefully.....

Your friend's 2a3 amp is super low noise, any changes in the setup will sure make a big different.

Cheers,

His orange coloured cable is connected to his distribution sockets.

Yes, bro. He is still using the 0.8mm wire.

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:50 am

Rocketman,

The solidcore magwire is very popular with high sensitivity speakers. Some users swear by them. So it is no slouch. Even maggies owner uses them.

Maybe shd try on your Open Baffle.
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:53 am

mugenfoo wrote:
tycham wrote:

hahahahahahahah... lol!

lol! lol! lol!

Hmmm, wonder whether the same irony applies to power cables? Rolling Eyes

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:05 am

VS126 wrote:Rocketman,

The solidcore magwire is very popular with high sensitivity speakers. Some users swear by them. So it is no slouch. Even maggies owner uses them.

Maybe shd try on your Open Baffle.

Bro, I am currently using 22g single solid core Western Electrics for my Open Baffle. Cheap and good. Sound like the Casio calculator. Makes a poor man like me very happy. Very Happy

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:15 am

Rocketman,
the orange cable is come with the amp n it's link between the distribution and his 48v swithing power supply. The designer even tune the cable to suit his amp. Pls don't mislead other forumer to do what your friend did. His amp is running with a super quiet switch mode power supply which running at 300k hz and not our normal 50hz from TNB.

To be exact, his speaker cable is now 1mm n not 0.8mm. He notice a big changes when he switch to the 1mm. I'm sure if he would change his speaker cable to flat nordost it would be much better.

For me I will use powercord that suit my system, as all cable will sound different, so as to those connectors. Just try them out one by one and find out their charactor. Then select the combination that best for your system.

Cheers,
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Turntable
Amplification: Tube gear
Speakers: High sensitivity speaker

Back to top Go down