Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Passive Subwoofer Crossover Supplier

4 posters

Go down

Passive Subwoofer Crossover Supplier  Empty Passive Subwoofer Crossover Supplier

Post by bcitextx Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:24 am

Greetings everyone.

Need advice from all the sifus here. I have an Old 8 inch passive subwoofer and had and old crossover that is faulty.

Does any Sifus here know where can I source or buy a crossover that can be replaced. Currently there is 2 inputs and 2 satellite outputs.

Please kindly advice?

Thank you.

BC

bcitextx
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-09-30

Back to top Go down

Passive Subwoofer Crossover Supplier  Empty Re: Passive Subwoofer Crossover Supplier

Post by carz Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:41 am

You don't have to buy a new crossover. Just repair it.

Passive crossover consists of just 3 types of components, resistors, capacitors and coils.

Most of the time it is the capacitors that fails especially if they are very old, since they degrade over time. These are not the standard capacitors that has polarity....it is the non-polar type.

Coil seldom if ever fails. Resistors maybe, but they are very easy to check.

By the way what is the brand and model of your passive sub ?

carz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2010-01-14

Back to top Go down

Passive Subwoofer Crossover Supplier  Empty Re: Passive Subwoofer Crossover Supplier

Post by bcitextx Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:06 am

Hi Carz,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. Yes I agree with you on the coil issue but somehow when I sent the subwoofer to 2 service guys, they say it has to be replaced because the suspected the whole circuit was "blown" and beyond repair. The weird part is the woofer is still working.

The subwoofer is a small 6 inch sub.

Any idea (worst case scenerio) , where can I buy it and roughly how much does it cost around Klang valley.

Would appreciate your really good advice on this.

Thank you so much.

BC

bcitextx
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bcitextx Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:13 am

Opps Forgot to add the subwoofer is from Germany MIVOC brand which is nice sounding when it was working. Sounds equally good as compared with my paradigm sub but only smaller in size.

Anyway, hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks again.

BC

bcitextx
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carz Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:29 am

normally crossovers are designed to match the speaker drivers.....u just can't just pop in any crossover.

What model of Germany MIVOC is it ?
Can you take some picture of the crossover (top and bottom) and post it here ?

carz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bcitextx Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:56 am

HI Carz,

Aiyah, Thats my problem here. If I knew it can be salvaged, i would have kept it but after listening to 2 different technicians , I threw it away. (my big mistake).

Im not sure wat model this is cause the label is so faded cant read but I manage to open up the unit and can see the driver is WPH 168DS which is approx 16 cm.

Any ideas ?

PLs advice?

Thanks again bro.

BC

Passive Subwoofer Crossover Supplier  Photo_10

bcitextx
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carz Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:13 pm

what is your crossover frequency and what speakers are you matching these to ? What amps are you using ?

carz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bcitextx Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:53 pm

Currently using AR MK II speakers on denon 1803 amp . Good question is how do I know what Crossover frequency since the sub is old and lost the Manual. Sigh.

Pls advice. ?

bcitextx
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carz Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:59 am

i couldn't find details of the AR MK II speakers on the net.
It is going to be difficult to determine the crossover circuit you require without knowing the crossover frequency.

How are you driving the passive sub with the denon 1803?

what happened that cause the crossover to blow that badly ? was any of the components burnt ?

carz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bcitextx Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:32 am

HI Carz,

Thanks for your kind patience and advice. My Speakers are Acoustic Research M1 series (Holographic Series) I believe what Mark Levinson used last time. This is the small monitor version. Sorry for the confusion on the Ar MKII. was AR M1.

My Current Amp is Denon AVR1803 which has RMS 95 watts pc.

Thats the funny thing, I have no idea why or how the crossover was blown . As far as I can recall, usually the speakers/drivers will get blown but not the circuit but for this case it has. Anyway, based on this setup, any ideas?

Again, need kind advice,

Thanks again.

Bc

bcitextx
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carz Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:17 am

>> Acoustic Research M1 series (Holographic Series). Is this a series ? I need the exact model.....else how to know the characteristics leh ???

On the Denon AVR1803, the subwoofer out channel has no power amp output. So which channel do you use to drive the passive subwoofer ?

Were there any burnt marks on the crossover components ?

carz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by carz Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:19 am

bcitextx, can you do some homework and get me link that shows frequency response of your AR speaker ?

carz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:06 am

Hi bci,
If you said that your woofer has satellite output... it means that the crossover might be more complicated than ever.

If you still need the satellite output to function properly, I suggest you redo the crossover with exact value components based on the blown crossover.

If you only need the woofer; then it would be rather easy. Again you need to know from the current crossover, what is the value of the coil and resistor being used. Capacitor is often not required accept for some impedance balance things...

Do note; it is a very dangerous things you are doing here.. any short circuit in the crossover or the wiring can serious damage your amp eventhough the amp has protection circuit at it speaker out.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:22 pm

One possible option is to get someone knowledgeable to build a variable/adjustable cross-over. The no need to worry about the cross over frequency - can adjust/tailor it to match the speaker's low freq response in the room. In any case, unless they are specifically designed to match each other, e.g. LS3/5A with AB1 sub, then typically even if there is a standard cross over frequency in the original cross-over, it might well not match with the AR speakers.

Actually I think most subwoofer would have this as standard anyway, i.e. the actual cross over frequency is adjustable, usually from quite high at 100Hz or more, down to almost the useable lower frequency of the subwoofer. So maybe build an external cross-over in an box and use that to tailor the subwoofer to the speakers.

However, one problem is how to drive the subwoofer because it is passive, I do not remember the Denon as having two pairs of speaker post, or does it ? So instead of just a plain passive crossover, maybe can get that knowledgeable person to also incorporate an amp into the cross over, along with a volume pot in addition to the cross-over frequency pot. So you pipe the tape-out (for e.g.) into this custom subwoofer.

However, if you go to that route, I wonder if the cost involved might be worthwhile when compared to just buying a powered sub, especially used. Unless of course the driver sound quality is very good that you need to spend a lot to get a used powered sub of equivalent sound quality.

An SVS 12-inch powered sub design for hifi, completed with adjustable cross over frequency is less than RM3k and should sound very good. So you need to consider carefully !
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bcitextx Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Hi Carz.

U know, after reading ur comments, I think i will start looking for an active sub. Will probably make my mivoc sub as a small side coffee Table or put it in my car. Sigh. Not easy to find a small footprint size active subwoofer this days. Was so far going thru the site , realize Jamo has a small active sub but wonder how is the sound wise? Anyway thank u so much for it kind advice.

Btw , have a great weekend and keep intouch.

Cheers,
Bc

bcitextx
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carz Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:17 am

i was actually thinking about a fixed frequency crossover as the cheapest option as it is the easiest to design if you know the crossover freq and already been using it and finalised the position of the subwoofer. It depends on how the sub is driven actually. as it appears it may be more complex.

there is one for sale at mudah at only RM200
http://www.mudah.my/Mivoc+subwoofer-7882631.htm?last=1

Is this the same as the one you own ? At this price it is cheaper and less trouble than to try to repair.

carz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bcitextx Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:52 pm

Hi Carz,

Sorry for my late reply. Was busy during the weekend. Yes, Thank you for your kind suggestion. Called the guy but he says sold. Anyway, will look around and hope to get good bargains .

Anyway, thank you so much again.

Cheers,

BC

bcitextx
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down