Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Interconnect & Bi-wire

+5
elhefe
bal
Wikin
adrian4454
khlim_77
9 posters

Go down

Interconnect & Bi-wire  Empty Interconnect & Bi-wire

Post by khlim_77 Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:56 am

Hi, i m newbie here , i m looking on interconnect and bi-wire cable, any cheap and good cable to introduce , not too expensive,used also can consider , the best total up 2 item less then rm500, coz i m a poor man
heheh
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2010-03-09

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Interconnect & Bi-wire  Empty Re: Interconnect & Bi-wire

Post by adrian4454 Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:19 pm

hmm.. tough luck khlim. No one can really give you good answer on this. The best cable or interconnect can sound like shit on certain setups.

If you dont have a hi fi shop around that can loan you some to try out, just get the 5 star product first and try it out. Suggest u get the same brand for Interconnect & Speaker cable, so a more unified house sound for easier evaluation. There are a lot of selection in the sales section here. Do search around.

PS: Dont mind telling what setup you have? Maybe someone in this forum can help out. Thanks.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:40 pm

Hi Adrian
my current setup is
marantz CD67KI
audiolab 8000A
B&W 602 speaker
music playing is more on vocal & jazz
but some of the friend told me that i should change the power cord 1st before changing the interconnect and speaker cable
my fren say changing power cord will see the big different then changing interconnect , this that true ?
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:59 pm

khlim_77 wrote:Hi Adrian
but some of the friend told me that i should change the power cord 1st before changing the interconnect and speaker cable
my fren say changing power cord will see the big different then changing interconnect , this that true ?

Hi,
Better still is to get a good power conditioner like an isolation transformer or a good buss bar with filtration. It removes harshness and opens up the sound. Power supply is kinda like the foundation of the system.
The work your way up with speaker placements, equipment isolation methods like getting a good rack.
With the above done right I've heard systems with ordinary cables sounding good and refined.
Then comes cables and power cords to fill in the final touches.

cheers.
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Character sheet
Source(s): PC Audio
Amplification: Tri Amping Active
Speakers: High Eff Open Baffle

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi Khlim_77,
my name is Bal. When i first started this hi fi journey, my set up was a lot like yours... japanese cd player, british amp and british speakers.

I personally have not found power cords to make a big difference in sound, i can hear differences in interconnects and speaker cables much easier.

I find that QED products are very very good for the price, and it should suit your british amp and speakers. Look around, quite a few bargins here.

Stands for your speakers if they are bookshelf, and placement in the room make a bigger impact on sound compared to changes in more expensive cables. It is important, i feel, to get the basics right before going on the path of upgrading. You will find loads and loads of useful information within the threads of this wonderful website. Take some time to go thro what a lot of other members have shared in the sections on discussion of equiptment and reviews.

Take care and have a wonderful year ahead.

Bal.

bal

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac
Amplification: conrad Johnson, Oddessy Khartago mono b
Speakers: maggie 1.7

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:58 pm

Hi khlim,
If your current power cord is truly low grade(thin wiring) or havent been changing any since the original one that came along with your amp; then the difference a decent power cord will certainly be pronounced.
Certainly, power conditioning will be the best. but if you are in tight budget.. can forget about it for the moment. Sometimes, even changing the fuse of your 3 pin plug to a new one, will make a different in sound.

Try not to spend more than RM300 for a power cord.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:50 pm

Given your budget of RM500, it will be tough to get a brand new adn decent IC and biwire cables in one go. Unless you can get second hand.

Similar to Bal, I have used a similar set up for a good 9 years. Marantz CDP, MF amp and Epos speakers. I find that QED IC, Speaker cable and power chord does a good job in this kind of set up.

QED Qonduit is now selling at RM300 brand new. Try to find a second hand which should only fetch about RM200 and less.
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by - br@d - Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:30 pm

Khlim,

My recommendations would be ;
Interconnects
Used Chord Cobra 3 - Target Rm250 +/-

Speaker cables
Used Chord Odyssey (non biwire) - RM300+/-
@
New Chord Rumour - RM250 +/-

Once the interconnects and Speaker cables are in place, you can always venture into playing with power cords.
Try the ones from ACE HARDWARE - Orange power cord to Diy for a start. Once you have saved enough money for a better power cord , u can transfer the power cable for your TV , etc..

I still feel that the DM602 is bass heavy, the Chords can reduce that

- br@d -
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by drife Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:01 pm

brad would know. he's been through many many types of cables/cords... and the various lengths for sonic fine tuning Smile

drife
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 2068
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Character sheet
Source(s): USJ
Amplification: Subang Jaya
Speakers: Selangor

http://drifeaudio.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by - br@d - Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:27 pm

Drife, - not that many le bro...

Something I have learned and tried in Singapore with a friend of mine in KEF Adelphi SG.

Try having a long power cable say 4 meter to the Source/CD player. I know its long but the sound did improved to smoother overall.

Khlim,
I believe that the orange cable was somewhere around RM8.90 per meter and you need to buy the male and female IEC from Amcorp mall or Octave Electronics Sdn Bhd. No.81 Jalan 1/12 Pj Old Town, Petaling Jaya.

Try with the 4 meter to the source. If you feel its an overkill, just split it to 2 x2 meter power cable for your source and amp. The fun bit it to play around with something that will not break the bank before venturing into more expensive power cords.

Hope this helps... Remember not to overspent

- br@d -
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:26 am

thank's all the Sifu, look like i hv to try out DIY myself on the power cord

Hi Brad
thank's for your help , too bad i was staying in JB, so i think i hv to find out myself on the item that u mention on,
for the B&W 602 i know it just entry level, but i can not changing thing too fast, coz not hv permission to bring back home lah ( all guy here suite know lah ) heheheh
hope that i have a chance to try on the 2 cable that u mention
tq
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by khlim_77 Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:11 am

Hi brad
can you please send me the ACE orange color cable picture, maybe i can find it in component shop here
thk 1st
khlim_77
khlim_77
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by - br@d - Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:05 pm

khlim,

You can check the link below in another topic in hifi for sale
https://www.hifi4sale.net/equipment-discussions-f6/hospital-grade-vs-normal-ac-plugs-t1490.htm

Picture is there

Alternatively you can order from uncle King from Penang. He can post for you this cheap belden cable.
http://www.mudah.my/Power+Cable-5713184.htm

Hope this helps

- br@d -
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Interconnect & Bi-wire  Empty Powercords does make a difference!

Post by musiclinkav Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:34 am

bal wrote:Hi Khlim_77,
my name is Bal. When i first started this hi fi journey, my set up was a lot like yours... japanese cd player, british amp and british speakers.

I personally have not found power cords to make a big difference in sound, i can hear differences in interconnects and speaker cables much easier.

I find that QED products are very very good for the price, and it should suit your british amp and speakers. Look around, quite a few bargins here.

Stands for your speakers if they are bookshelf, and placement in the room make a bigger impact on sound compared to changes in more expensive cables. It is important, i feel, to get the basics right before going on the path of upgrading. You will find loads and loads of useful information within the threads of this wonderful website. Take some time to go thro what a lot of other members have shared in the sections on discussion of equiptment and reviews.

Take care and have a wonderful year ahead.

Bal.

Dear Bal,

You found powercords without much effect? Have you actually connect the correct gauge size powercords? A power amp will sound its best with cords having gauge size with a minimum of 12 gauge and best performance with cord size 10 gauge. Sources need smaller gauge cords.
Go ahead try it! -Musiclink Singapore

musiclinkav

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2009-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post by mohfudz Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:22 pm

Hi khlim,
I've got signal cable (http://www.signalcable.com/) 1m interconnect silver resolution with eichman silver bullet RCA or xlr (USD170.00) & 8ft bi-wire ultra (USD156.00) cable together with QED power cord (white spiral thingy in clear plastic jacket) if you are interested. All of these for your budgeted price. Got too many cables.... They are quite good & value for money. You can read the customers feedback on their website. I work in KL (Dayabumi). Call me on 012 3720618 if u are interested or anybody else. Not really into selling things but just wanted to help out
Best

mohfudz

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-05-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down