Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Altec Lansing Horn Speakers

+3
cmboy
wabun
mthoi
7 posters

Go down

Altec Lansing Horn Speakers Empty Altec Lansing Horn Speakers

Post by mthoi Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:04 am

Anyone knows of any vendors where they sell Altec Lansing horn and speaker parts in Malaysia.

I am looking for altec horns, crossovers and woofers to build a Altec Voice Of Theater (VOT) that can be supplied in Malaysia.

These items are vintage, but I have recently purchased a Altec Lansing 288-8L horn driver (30+lb) via e-bay. The shipping cost is sky-high.

Any assistance is appreciated.

mthoi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Marantz SAKI Pearl, Michell Gyro, Garrard 401, Lenco L75, Technics SL1200II
Amplification: c3g/F2a + C3m/300b PP biamp, 26 Preamp, 76 Preamp + 2A3/845, c3o/300b, Quad 34/606
Speakers: Harbeth SHL5, Altec A7 288-8G/1505B VOTT + JBL 2404H, Tyler Acoustics + Altec 288/Jabo Horns

Back to top Go down

Altec Lansing Horn Speakers Empty Re: Altec Lansing Horn Speakers

Post by wabun Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:40 am

contact alan 0165576846
he got bunch of VOT

wabun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Character sheet
Source(s): Mac mini - Bryston BDP - Calyx DAC 24/192 - Rega P8
Amplification: Jumpan Balance - ARC VT100Mk3 - Musical Fidelity FX
Speakers: JBL 4313B , Harbeth P3esr

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:54 am

Better research and bring in on your own if price is a concern. Others who bring in surely want to profit and shipping charges from abroad isn't any different for other sellers. The cost will still be passed to the buyer + decent profit. Its not like Altec Lansing or JBL vintage speakers were extremely common here in Malaysia. They're getting quite rare and hard to obtain nowadays, you want, many oso want them. If it was a decade ago, perhaps.. just like vinyl LP's are sky high prices now.
Money is yours...you decide what suits you.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mthoi Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:16 am

Tx Wabun. I have spoken to him and would arranging a trip to Ipoh sometime in the near future.

mthoi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): Marantz SAKI Pearl, Michell Gyro, Garrard 401, Lenco L75, Technics SL1200II
Amplification: c3g/F2a + C3m/300b PP biamp, 26 Preamp, 76 Preamp + 2A3/845, c3o/300b, Quad 34/606
Speakers: Harbeth SHL5, Altec A7 288-8G/1505B VOTT + JBL 2404H, Tyler Acoustics + Altec 288/Jabo Horns

Back to top Go down

Post by tlkoo Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:48 am

mthoi wrote:Anyone knows of any vendors where they sell Altec Lansing horn and speaker parts in Malaysia.

I am looking for altec horns, crossovers and woofers to build a Altec Voice Of Theater (VOT) that can be supplied in Malaysia.

These items are vintage, but I have recently purchased a Altec Lansing 288-8L horn driver (30+lb) via e-bay. The shipping cost is sky-high.

Any assistance is appreciated.

http://kintavalleyaudio.blogspot.com/

tlkoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKK Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:04 pm

I have heard a couple of Altec horns. I am not a big fan of them. They have two very big problems: first, they were designed to be used in a movie theatre, not a listening room. The objective is different - for a movie theatre you need to supply everyone with the same sound, and it needs to be clear. The speaker system needs to be robust and reliable. So the dispersion is very wide, the stereo effect is minimal. If you put this in your listening room, the speakers will easily overpower your room. Result is echoes everywhere and loss of stereo image.

The other reason I don't like them is because they have a "vintage" sound. Not extended and there is obvious horn colouration.

If you want horns, I suggest you go for a modern horn which has been designed for living rooms. Something from Avantgarde or Zingali would work quite well. Or if you want to DIY - get something from GOTO.
WongKK
WongKK
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-11-25

Character sheet
Source(s): Playback Designs MPS-5, Micro-Seiki BL-99V
Amplification: Cary SLP-05, Cary CAD-211AE, SGR EL30S
Speakers: Acapella High Violon

Back to top Go down

Post by vt4c Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:46 pm

Hi WongKK,
I used to own a pair of Altec horn and allow me to give my 2 cents worth....

WongKK wrote:I have heard a couple of Altec horns. I am not a big fan of them. They have two very big problems: first, they were designed to be used in a movie theatre, not a listening room. The objective is different - for a movie theatre you need to supply everyone with the same sound, and it needs to be clear. The speaker system needs to be robust and reliable. So the dispersion is very wide, the stereo effect is minimal. If you put this in your listening room, the speakers will easily overpower your room. Result is echoes everywhere and loss of stereo image.

You're right when you mentioned Altec was used in cinema speaker...However, Altec horn is also suitable for home use...The Altec (just like WE300B) was widely received by the Japanese long before the American reliased the potential of this horn speaker... Typical Japanese home has very small room but they still adore the Altec A7. Look at pages of MJ or Stereo Review and one will likely to see a pair of Altec A7.

It is true it will not image as well as some good small bookshelf speaker...However, recreating the sense of scale of music, nothing can beat a good big speaker horn speaker.

You're also correct that Altec horn speaker needs room to breath to perform even better and one needs to pay alot of attention damping the room to get the best out of it. In addition, one might need to tweak the crossover abit for home use.

WongKK wrote:
The other reason I don't like them is because they have a "vintage" sound. Not extended and there is obvious horn colouration.

If you want horns, I suggest you go for a modern horn which has been designed for living rooms. Something from Avantgarde or Zingali would work quite well. Or if you want to DIY - get something from GOTO.

Unfortunately,the Altec horn is indeed more 'coloured' compared to the Avantgrade or the Zingali.

If compare in term of price, the Altec horn still have a firm place in my heart! The ease smooth flow of music and the huge sound-stage are special.
vt4c
vt4c
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Registration date : 2009-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by mthoi Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:38 pm

I remember my days in the UofFlorida (Go Gators!), with the Model 19 (I think) sticking out of the frat house blasting away. Nostalgia of yesterdays no-doubt. The A5 and A7 are certainly designed for movie houses - they don't call it as Voice of Theater (VOT) for no reason.

Certainly the choice of horns and compression drivers plays an important part in the overall design of the horn-based speakers. The vintage horns has a frequency cut-off around 15KHz and would require a super-tweeter to get the upper frequency range. But the drivers can go down to 20Hz!

But who cares, I have my Harbeth SHL5/Quad 606 for the non-party sessions.

mthoi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by vt4c Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:23 am

BTW...Look up for this forum for more info on Altec....

http://www.hostboard.com/forums/altec-users-board/
vt4c
vt4c
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Registration date : 2009-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by brabusm Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:55 pm

Vintage Altec and JBL horns have achieved cult status in Japan. They are really snapped up by collectors and enthusiasts alike.

If you are not fussy, try a pair of chinese made fullrange 12" horn speakers called Gre-pin. They are amazing and lack the usual muffled mid sound for vocals. You would be blown apart from the audio reproduction. Will work with just 1w given its 104db/w sensitivity.

Best wishes.

brabusm
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by mthoi Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:19 am

Carpenter Wanted!

I am looking for a carpenter to build a pair of VOT speaker cabinets for me. Pls PM or sms me your contact - 012 2236 517.

mthoi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down