Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Naim CD5i vs Rega Apollo

+2
bassraptor
Mikapoh
6 posters

Go down

Naim CD5i vs Rega Apollo Empty Naim CD5i vs Rega Apollo

Post by Mikapoh Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:26 pm

Hi Guys,

Newbie here and recently bought a Naim Nait 5i-2. The Rega Apollo has been running in my system and thought this combo sounds fantastic. However, the dealer is willing to give me a shot at Naim CD5i if my mind makes up otherwise.

So, apart from synergistic between Naim equipments, will this CD5i doing justice and improve my system sound compare to the Apollo and Nait 5i-2? Just found out that Naim/Rega combo has been widely matched by many around the globe. All thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Naim CD5i vs Rega Apollo Empty Re: Naim CD5i vs Rega Apollo

Post by bassraptor Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:54 pm

Since the dealer is willing to let you give it a shot, take the Naim home, listen and decide for yourself. I don't think you need to let anybody tell you how to think, right? Razz

Just try to get a run in unit, that's all.

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

http://www.audiofi.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:10 pm

Thanks for your advice.

I am just trying to save the hassle to bring in & then return kind of stuff. I know this is the best solution but would like to seek others opinion on this as well. Another problem is they do not have run-in unit. All their demo units are xs series. High end stuff Sad

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hifikrazy Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:13 pm

I dare say that the CD5i would be significantly better than the Apollo. I went from Apollo to CD5XS and it was like night and day. The Apollo was terribly digital sounding in comparison.

hifikrazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:20 pm

But from Apollo to CD5XS is a big jump indeed. The price differential is already more than double so naturally expects it to be better in any aspect.

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by 123_rocketman Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:34 pm

Mikapoh wrote:But from Apollo to CD5XS is a big jump indeed. The price differential is already more than double so naturally expects it to be better in any aspect.

Then you shouldnt be comparing them. You should compare apple with apple.

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by S8 Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:51 pm

I home audition Saturn and it is not digital, not sure about Apollo. I believe Rega cdp should not be digital as they are also TT manufacturer and will not tweak their cdp to sound digital.
Just my opinion.

S8

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by ongaaron Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:03 am

Fully agree with S8. I`m a Saturn user and auditioned the Apollo and frankly, it is miles ahead of it`s competitors at their price range. Maybe you perceive bright as sounding digital because if partner with unsuitable amplification and speakers, it tends to dig too deep and as we know, too much of everything is not good. Looking forward for a shootout between the Saturn,Naim 5i, XS and Arcam CD37. Anybody intrested? Basketball

ongaaron
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 425

Character sheet
Source(s): MF AMSCD
Amplification: Audia Flight
Speakers: Wilson Benesch

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikapoh Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:51 am

I have been listening to the Rega Apollo for quite a while and very satisfied with its performance. Compare to my previous lower NAD C521bee, I feel nad sounds warmer than the Apollo! Ongaaron is right to say sometimes a CDP digs too much it can be perceived as bright or digital. The Apollo sound is so detailed that I once think NAD has warmer sound or more analogue re-production. Guess different ppl has different perception on hifi sound.

My curiousness suddenly bug me when the dealer allow me to swap the Apollo with Naim CD5i for a price of less than RM1.5k. I am just wondering how effective is this Naim characteristic comparing to the Appollo/Naim 5i-2 combo. I know best solution is to bring them home to audition but would like anyone to shade some lights first.

Mikapoh
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hifikrazy Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:02 am

I think I know what is the meaning of digital sounding and I have not confused it with brightness. I moved from a Cyrus CD6s to the Rega Apollo and at that time, never noticed the digital sound in either of those players. But when doing a head to head comparison with the Naim CD5XS which I now use, the digital sound became quite apparent. This opinion was shared by more than one pair of ears who were involved in that comparison.

I guess this is the reality of hifi... Ignorance is bliss. I was quite happy with the Apollo until I pitted it against something better which then exposed all its flaws. That is not saying it is not great or maybe even the best at the price range. I'm sure if i put my CD5XS against a Metronome or Esoteric or Wadia, it will make it sound like a dud. That's why I sometimes turn down the hifi shops' "kind" offers to let me take home something more than I can afford to audition. Once you know how much your system is lacking, it makes it quite hard to listen to it anymore, and then you are left with no choice but to beg, steal or borrow to upgrade. Mad

hifikrazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 191

Back to top Go down

Post by S8 Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:25 pm

Naim, Rega & Cyrus are all British and they all have similar "house" sound. If you like one, chances are you will no dislike the other, however their detailed attributes may differs, eg Naim is more dynamic (if you like it, if you don't like that becomes right-on-you-face), Rega will present all the details more subtlely, more cultured sounding but not losing out anything. All depend what you prefer. Given the chance, no harm try it out to decide.

S8

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down