Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Newbie Tube Amp

3 posters

Go down

Newbie Tube Amp Empty Newbie Tube Amp

Post by inflexible_lim Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:09 am

Hi, I am a newbie for hifi. I am currently having Cambridge Audio azur 550A and a pair of Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 2. I am thinking of getting a tube amp. My budget is less than 2k. Any recommendation?

inflexible_lim

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Newbie Tube Amp Empty Re: Newbie Tube Amp

Post by fizi Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:55 am

Look 4 tube amp that suit ur MS speaker...lets here from other kaki's what they suggest that suit ur MS...afraid only after buy tube amp then u need to change the speaker... Very Happy
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1294
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by samn Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:46 am

If i were you, I would focus on system building around the 550A. I would consider adding 200W/ch 840W to make 550A as a PreAmp. If you do, you may want to upgrade your loudspeakers to Mezzo 8 coz Mezzo 2 can only handle up to 120W. You would be surprised with this new discovery. You didn't mention about your CDP, if it's old 16bit, consider adding DACMagic.

To me going to tube amp is like embarking another new journey. Before you start another journey, my suggestion is to focus on how to make your current system great to you. Very Happy
samn
samn
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Rega RP3, Audiolab 8200CD, Marantz CD6003, Teac W790R & Teac V5010
Amplification: Audiolab 8200Q & Audiolab 8000M
Speakers: Mission Volare V63

Back to top Go down

Post by inflexible_lim Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:57 am

samn wrote:If i were you, I would focus on system building around the 550A. I would consider adding 200W/ch 840W to make 550A as a PreAmp. If you do, you may want to upgrade your loudspeakers to Mezzo 8 coz Mezzo 2 can only handle up to 120W. You would be surprised with this new discovery. You didn't mention about your CDP, if it's old 16bit, consider adding DACMagic.

To me going to tube amp is like embarking another new journey. Before you start another journey, my suggestion is to focus on how to make your current system great to you. Very Happy

thanks for your information. From what you think, which power amp should i go for? Or shall i insert a subwoofer into my system before i get the power amp?

inflexible_lim

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by samn Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:20 pm

I mentioned 840W in my reply i.e. Cambridge Azur 840W 200w/ch power amp. Since you have Azur 550A, I believe they should gain matched and sonically compatible. Typically, I would not take risk by mix n match different brands for amplification.

Your choices are :
1) Add 840W and speakers with max 200W/ch before you consider adding the subwoofer. Choices of speakers either stand mount or floor stand.

2) If space in your room is not permitted, then you add active subwoofer X200 to your 550A only preamp output instead of adding 840W and retain your Mezzo 2.

Personally, I'll go for 1st choice with Floor stand speakers to get a good bass. Anyway, this is just my opinion, at the end of the day, you have to listen for yourself to get the right combination for you. Good Luck.
samn
samn
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Rega RP3, Audiolab 8200CD, Marantz CD6003, Teac W790R & Teac V5010
Amplification: Audiolab 8200Q & Audiolab 8000M
Speakers: Mission Volare V63

Back to top Go down