Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Best matching speaker for Quad 2 tube monoblock

+2
tycham
fizi
6 posters

Go down

Best matching speaker for Quad 2 tube monoblock Empty Best matching speaker for Quad 2 tube monoblock

Post by fizi Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:39 am

Hi there...
Just need some expertise guideline n info for pairing match speaker for my Quad 2 amplifier.Any comments are welcome.Hopefully this topic will very use full for others as well.Mostly my friends will ask me to go for LS3/5A so is there any speaker else... Question Idea Idea

Thanks

Sharing is caring
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1294
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Best matching speaker for Quad 2 tube monoblock Empty Re: Best matching speaker for Quad 2 tube monoblock

Post by tycham Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:51 am

Quad ESL57.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital
Amplification: Solid State
Speakers: Bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Best matching speaker for Quad 2 tube monoblock Empty Re: Best matching speaker for Quad 2 tube monoblock

Post by fizi Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:32 am

tycham wrote:Quad ESL57.

This type of speaker not easy to get it laa and how much it will cost...tq
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva

Back to top Go down

Post by jokiarch Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:59 pm

Quad II is my first valve amp, and I love it to bits that I bought it and still own 5 pairs todate! So may be I could shade some lights on this...

I was advised to use Quad II to drive my LS3/5A, which you had been informed correctly. Best is when it is driving 15ohm version for the midrange that would please some very demanding ears!

However, if you are keeping your Quad II, you must try to hunt down a pair of ESL57. And you will, I dare say, "never listen the same again"!!

I know it is hard to come by these days. And if you find it, it is most probably needing extensive refurbishment. I have 2 pairs but not all are working. But I am not selling them.

The best speakers for Quad II has to be the 57, as if use as a combo, you could perform magic trick to your friends and asked them to locate where the sound coming from, and likely that they could not locate it even when they are standing next ot it. Playing human speech from it in the dark could send a chill up your spine yourself thinking that there is ghost speaking in the room... That is how real the sound could be when they are mated together. As long as you are not throwing in demanding music, you will not be disappointed.

Do make sure that you have a square getter rectifier, and inverted cup KT66 smoke glass, best still WE350B output tubes.

JoKi
jokiarch
jokiarch
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:12 pm

fizi wrote:
tycham wrote:Quad ESL57.

This type of speaker not easy to get it laa and how much it will cost...tq

This guy from Greece had been trying to sell a pair here since last year. But it is downright expensive.

I would be listening to the ESL63 this weekend to see how they compare.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:20 pm

I remember kowtim just sold off his uncompleted ESL57 last December.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by chamts1 Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:22 pm

May I add, if you go the LS35a route ... add a pair of Rogers AB1 subwoofer.

chamts1
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by samn Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:45 am

fizi, i believe this is the surprise...wow...congrats bro...

anyway just a suggestion, Quad had reproduced its classic valve amp with matching speakers 11L series, perhaps old classic can match with modern classic.
samn
samn
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Rega RP3, Audiolab 8200CD, Marantz CD6003, Teac W790R & Teac V5010
Amplification: Audiolab 8200Q & Audiolab 8000M
Speakers: Mission Volare V63

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:39 am

There all...

Joki-really nice rite up...5 pairs...fuhhhhhh maybe 1 day i will bring my quad and ask for ur help to make it more umpphhhhhh..... Very Happy i watch the video at you tube how the esl 57 can really match with quad 2...but this speakers is not easy to get it here...i ask 1 of the seller selling this speaker before for nearly Rm3k...anyway LS3/5A is still in my list only things try to ask opinion from others...

Chamts1 - Yes of course...the AB1 is really help to make it more umpphhhh..

samn - No suprise la...i sacrifice my mcintosh power to own this little gems..to own this quad is 1 of my dream in my hifi journey...my friend got this 11L maybe will borrow from him and see how its goes...

Tycham - Dont only audition the 63...help me to ask either he want to sell it or not....hahahhahahahhah

thanks guy's
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by jokiarch Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:10 pm

Dear Fizi,

What do you have in hand as preamp for your Quad II? If you are not careful and use the wrong pre, you will not be able to hear the full glory of the Quad II.

Use a good active pre with the simplest circuitry if you can, or else try the passive pre but be contented with lesser drive.

I was using Cello Etude passive for many years, it was repalced by Diva Audio Classic 1H, and subsequently this was repalced by Q22 which is based on Quad 22 design but a massive trimmed down version with all the unecessary equalisers cut-out.

LS3/5A is getting overly inflated especially the 15ohm version. However, if you can find a good buy in the used market, do be very sure that you Quad II is set at 16ohm tapping for best sounding.

JoKi
jokiarch
jokiarch
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi Jo,

For now im still using quad 33 as pre..if i not mistaken Diva audio classic is design by TS Lim rite...? how about the Q22 is the model made by same person..my friends also want to help DIY solid state class A pre , but that one also dont know can really match or not..

Agreed with u now LS3 price is going sky hi...nevermind im also not in hurry..current work load also stopping me enjoying my stereo..

Thanks
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by joeling Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi Jo,

Any idea if the Q22 is still in production ? How to contact manufacturer ?

Regards,
Joe Ling
joeling
joeling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2009-06-25

Character sheet
Source(s): Aurender, Bergmann, AMR, DCS
Amplification: ARC
Speakers: ProAc

Back to top Go down

Post by samn Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:43 pm

fizi wrote:
samn - No suprise la...i sacrifice my mcintosh power to own this little gems..to own this quad is 1 of my dream in my hifi journey...my friend got this 11L maybe will borrow from him and see how its goes...

Please share your experiences once you managed to hook up the 11L with your Quad...hope to hear from you soon.
samn
samn
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Rega RP3, Audiolab 8200CD, Marantz CD6003, Teac W790R & Teac V5010
Amplification: Audiolab 8200Q & Audiolab 8000M
Speakers: Mission Volare V63

Back to top Go down

Post by tycham Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:23 am

joeling wrote:Hi Jo,

Any idea if the Q22 is still in production ? How to contact manufacturer ?

Regards,
Joe Ling

You can contact TS Lim at 98528400.
tycham
tycham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by jokiarch Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi Joe Ling,

Diva Q22 is still in production but I don't think TS Lim keeps ready stock for prospective buyers. You need to contact him before he makes it. But I cannot recall why you needed this pre... I thought you already have some mighty pre and power amp??

Both you and Fizi are welcome to try out my Q22 in your system if you so wished. PM me?

JoKi
jokiarch
jokiarch
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:32 pm

How about matching quad 2 with fullrange speaker....lowther..altec..goodmans...etc

Open baffle info also welcome.... cheers
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down