Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Confusing of XRCD, HDCD, AQCD, LPCD, Bluspec CD ..etc

5 posters

Go down

Confusing of XRCD, HDCD, AQCD, LPCD, Bluspec CD ..etc Empty Confusing of XRCD, HDCD, AQCD, LPCD, Bluspec CD ..etc

Post by enzo520 Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:41 am

Hi all,

i have been quite long time didnt buy CD.
recently i found tht there is alot of audiophile CD stated as
LPCD
Bluspec CD
XRCD
SACD
HDCD
K2HD
etc...

Would like to ask which format is actually the real quality ? best buck for money ?
enzo520
enzo520
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2011-02-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Confusing of XRCD, HDCD, AQCD, LPCD, Bluspec CD ..etc Empty Re: Confusing of XRCD, HDCD, AQCD, LPCD, Bluspec CD ..etc

Post by bimmerman Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:50 am

SACD and HDCD are the real McCoys.

SACD requires a SACD capable player. You can't play SACD on your CD player unless the SACD has a redbook layer. SACD with a redbook layer are called Hybrid SACD. SACD has the best sound among all you've mentioned. SACD is encoded in DSD and is 1-bit, has a sampling rate of 2.8224 MHz. Comparatively normal CD is 16bit, 44.1Khz. If you play a hybrid SACD on your normal CD player you'll get normal CD sound. And I believe the multiple layers can be detrimental to the overall CD quality. I could be wrong.

HDCD will play on any CD player but to realize the benefits of HDCD you'll need a HDCD capable CD player or DAC. Otherwise you will not hear the enhancements embedded within the 16 bit signal. HDCD encodes the equivalent of 20 bits worth of data in a 16-bit digital audio signal by using custom routines.

Now the rest I believe are just marketing jargons. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Character sheet
Source(s): Mark Levinson
Amplification: KRELL
Speakers: Sonus Faber

Back to top Go down

Confusing of XRCD, HDCD, AQCD, LPCD, Bluspec CD ..etc Empty Re: Confusing of XRCD, HDCD, AQCD, LPCD, Bluspec CD ..etc

Post by hasnul Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:09 am

U guys forgot another one !! The BLUE cd !! cheers
hasnul
hasnul
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Character sheet
Source(s): Rega P3 + Yamaha WXC-50 Streamer
Amplification: Rega Elex-R
Speakers: ATC SCM12

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:25 am

I think he mentioned Bluespec CD. Is that the same as Blue CD?
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Character sheet
Source(s): Mark Levinson
Amplification: KRELL
Speakers: Sonus Faber

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:27 am

BLUE CD ? Hmmm..........

Anyway those Blue-spec CDs are typically from Japan. Their main claim is that the blue-ish property allows the laser to read the pits better and thus less need for re-reading and less reading error. So, less jitter and also more accurate data - less error recovery needed.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:17 pm

I've quite a number of HDCD encoded albums which I'm very much amazed by its overall musicality and gives me a sense of more musicality being achieved. I may have compared some HDCD encoded tracks and non HDCD encoded tracks of the same song and the HDCD ones wins hands down. The non ones sound flat and uninvolving. I suppose it boils down to how they remastered the tracks and I hear the differences. Yes, my dac and CDP are both HDCD capable. Time to dig them out and listen to them again, its been too long stored away.
There are some albums that I have that do not have the HDCD logo there, but once played, the HDCD light comes on. One of them is the US pressing of Dave Brubeck Time Out album on Columbia. However not all the tracks are HDCD encoded. There's one or 2 gold CD early pressing of Cai Qin thats also HDCD encoded. MingGe and Jian PinZhe album. I think they very sought after by now. The HDCD logo isn't printed on the inserts.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by enzo520 Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:06 am

Hi,

Thank you everyone for explanation !!

Recently alot of CD shop selling series of Remastering K2HD CD with pricing around Rm100 - Rm129.90.

normally HDCD & SACD is selling around how much ?

enzo520
enzo520
Regular
Regular

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:14 am

I think a lot of so called "audiophile" cds are downright overpriced here.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:42 am

SACDs in the normal shops (like Rock Corner, or Victoria music in Atria) usually are over RM100. The 1-U Rock Corner gave me a 5% discount on my SACD but it was still over RM100, even with the discount. HDCD I remember are selling for a bit cheaper. Those audiophile CDs like XRCD, Blue-spec CD, SHM-CDs and so forth are all highly priced, typically RM70 and above.

In the CD-RAMA fair recently (heh-heh, here I go again, sorry), there were some what is claimed to be XRCDs and SHM-CDs going for offer price of RM38. The one collection of Tsai Chin I bought, extracted from XRCDs and Blue-spec CDs and put into a CD which is dark blue in colour, sounded very good. Musically though, that 7CD collection of old songs is much better.

In the KLAVS, they usually have lots of such CDs and SACDs on offer so it might be worthwhile to save up for the KLAVS. It's only 4 months or so away.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by enzo520 Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:50 am

>.<" 4months to go ....

u go to CD-RAMA Again !? still got fair ?
tomorrow i go 1U take a look ....
enzo520
enzo520
Regular
Regular

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down