Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Densen DM-10 integrated amp

+9
zeebee
mugenfoo
cheehon
ongaaron
CH
hk5007
viper
skydna
ryder
13 posters

Go down

Densen DM-10 integrated amp Empty Densen DM-10 integrated amp

Post by ryder Sat May 23, 2009 9:33 pm

Anybody own this integrated? I would be interested to know how this amp would sound like.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Densen DM-10 integrated amp Empty Re: Densen DM-10 integrated amp

Post by ryder Mon May 25, 2009 5:26 pm

Anybody own Densen amps, be it the DM10, B100 integrated, DM20 pre or power amps? I would be interested to know the speakers that were matched with the amps.

Thanks in advance.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by skydna Mon May 25, 2009 7:12 pm

ryder wrote:Anybody own Densen amps, be it the DM10, B100 integrated, DM20 pre or power amps? I would be interested to know the speakers that were matched with the amps.

Thanks in advance.

For me when think about Densen, ATC speaker will appear in my mind

i study some Taiwan and china forum found that there are a lot "Old Birds" in hifi which played old ATC extremely low efficient bookshelf (only 80db)
Finally found that Densen amplifier is a good match

u can take a look to the website as reference but it is written in Chinese Embarassed
http://review.u-audio.com.tw/reviewdetail.asp?reviewid=22

mind to ask any shops can we try Densen out? i am intrested about how it perform Razz
skydna
skydna
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Character sheet
Source(s): Naim
Amplification: Naim
Speakers: ProAc

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Mon May 25, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi Skydna,
Thanks for the response and the link. Unfortunately I can't read Mandarin although I am Chinese. Anyway I have got some response elsewhere and got mixed reception, as usual. Densen lovers love their Densen amps to bits while a friend doesn't like both Densen and Naim. I will see if I have the chance to listen to one in near future.

I am currently trying a rare British amp, an NVA AP70 and was quite impressed with the sound quality.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by skydna Mon May 25, 2009 9:21 pm

ryder wrote:Hi Skydna,
Thanks for the response and the link. Unfortunately I can't read Mandarin although I am Chinese. Anyway I have got some response elsewhere and got mixed reception, as usual. Densen lovers love their Densen amps to bits while a friend doesn't like both Densen and Naim. I will see if I have the chance to listen to one in near future.

I am currently trying a rare British amp, an NVA AP70 and was quite impressed with the sound quality.

Ah yeah i get ur feeling.... i am a Naim user, even in real life some of my friends hate it a lot and keep complain to me Crying or Very sad
But i am neutral as i like both "musical, real, fast and dynamic" and "tube taste" depends on the songs listening, but finally go naim because it perform well in all my collection of music, furthermore solid-state is easier to maintain

any 1 know who is the Densen distributor in malaysia?

Another amplifier i am intrested is Ayer but seems too much for my pocket so dont have the chance to test it out, hope comming AV fair have the chance

Ah sorry for out of topic Embarassed
skydna
skydna
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Character sheet
Source(s): Naim
Amplification: Naim
Speakers: ProAc

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Mon May 25, 2009 9:32 pm

Distributor for Densen is A&L Audio.

From what I read Densen sounds quite similar to Naim but owners of both brands will have different opinions. Anyway it all depends on listening preferences as always. If you like Naim just keep the amp and listen to more music. There is no end to upgrading. Stop somewhere when you are satisfied with the sound, unless you've got extra $$$ to splurge.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by viper Tue May 26, 2009 4:41 pm

[quote="ryder"]Distributor for Densen is A&L Audio.

From what I read Densen sounds quite similar to Naim but owners of both brands will have different opinions.

If you read the review on DM10, which can be found on www.densen.dk.

This indeed a real collector's item. The well known DM10 ( The amp that make Densen famous) ...now being surpass by B175 the most powerful Densen amp...till date.

If you like so call PRAT...from Naim......Densen have something similar plus....more refined on details....and airly.

No offence to Naim lover....they hv their own characteristic...If you find Naim..does not give u of what you want...or you want something which extra refinement.....Densen is the one you r looking at.

viper
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Densen DM-10 integrated amp Empty Densen DM-10

Post by hk5007 Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:56 pm

I own a DM-10 for 13 years. It cost less than RM4000 then. Today Densen is very high end (expensive). Quality is good, dual mono with passive preamp. It is fast and has clarity but fussy with cables.

hk5007

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:28 pm

Hk5007, thanks for chiming in. The Densen DM-10 was quite highly-rated due to its musicality and high fun factor. It is good to note that you have managed to hang on for more than a decade to the Densen. You must be very happy with the performance and sound of the amp. My previous integrated amps that I have owned do not last for more than 5 years. May I know what speakers are you using with the Densen?

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Densen DM-10 integrated amp Empty Densen DM10

Post by hk5007 Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:52 pm

Ryder,

I have used a few speakers with the DM10. My present speakers are Epos 12.2 standmount. But many felt that the DM10 matches very well with Castle speakers. I also own Densen DP-02/DP drive phono stage. Cables are DH Labs silver sonic/Q10.

hk5007

Back to top Go down

Post by CH Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:16 am

HK5007,

I remember that DM10 was first launched locally back in 90s about the same time the dealer brought in the Holfi. Did you AB with Holfi back then?

CH
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by ongaaron Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:45 am

I had the DM10 for 12 years. Regret selling it last year. Speakers: Sonus Faber Minuetto. Source: Micromega Stage 3. Great combo. Advice .... Amp must be left on at all times. My was on for the last 12 years... no problem....Repeat..regret selling it.

ongaaron
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 425
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Character sheet
Source(s): MF AMSCD
Amplification: Audia Flight
Speakers: Wilson Benesch

Back to top Go down

Post by cheehon Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:08 am

I was looking for Densen DM10 but can't find any... at last sattle with Holfi. I am looking for Naim kind of PRaT sound but with better imaging. BTW there's a shop in Bangsar Village selling new Densen but freaking expensive.
cheers!

cheehon

Number of posts : 23

Back to top Go down

Post by ongaaron Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:50 pm

If you are willing to take it further the DM20/30 combo is even more breathtaking. Hard to find secondhand in Malaysia. The present models cant match up with the DM series built quality and performance.

ongaaron
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:13 pm

How about the B200/B300? There is a seller in Singapore posting the ad for more than 10 times already I think, still no takers.

http://www.echoloft.com/cgi-bin/buysell2/YaBB.pl?board=hifi&action=display&num=1256177431

Can be a good alternative for someone looking at the new B series as the prices of the new Densens do seem to be a bit steep.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ongaaron Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:10 pm

The B series are of a lower range and it sounds digital. Soundstage is narrower. It may be rated same as DM series combo at 100 wpc but it definitely sound less powerful. Be patient, wait for DM10 or 20/30 combo. Let me assure you it will be worth the wait. Does that answer your statement on why there are no takers.

ongaaron
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:32 pm

ongaaron wrote:The B series are of a lower range and it sounds digital. Soundstage is narrower. It may be rated same as DM series combo at 100 wpc but it definitely sound less powerful. Be patient, wait for DM10 or 20/30 combo. Let me assure you it will be worth the wait. Does that answer your statement on why there are no takers.

Pls elaborate, on how it sounds "digital".... Like it's more bright sounding ? harsh treble ?
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by ongaaron Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:40 pm

Bright sounding.

ongaaron
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by ryder Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:57 pm

Thanks for the clarification ongaaron. I know the DM10 is an excellent unit. If not I would not have created this thread seeking opinions on this amp. Some seasoned American audio enthusiasts are taken aback by the quality and performance of this small little integrated when pitted against other highly-rated brands that are more costly. I share your disappointment as well and have gone through a similar feeling of making a mistake in selling something good away, especially when the gear is almost impossible to come by in the used market again. My case is not too bad as the speakers I sold away, a pair of Proac Tablette 50 Signature has been with me for only 3 months as compared to your 12 years.

ryder
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:42 am

ongaaron wrote:Bright sounding.

Just to chip in a bit, I'm been running a B100 - B300 combo for my stereo only rig. B100 was purchased way back in sometime mid-later part of the 90's (can't recall exactly when) and B300 added later. I suppose 'brightness' is a relative term.

IMHO my combo being served by Marantz SACD KI, Benchmark DAC1 plus Kimber KS1020/AGDL/TC12 cabling to a VK1 Schweikert pair churns out very musical, airy, articulated and extended highs which I wouldn't call brightness. PRAT, definitely.. I also recalled hearing an 'high-end' analog based system demo-ed during the KLIAV playing a song from the 'Famous Blue Raincoat 25th Anniversary Album' (not the song of the same name) which I had to literally flee from as the treble was so unbearable !!! (now thats what a call an analog afflicted by digitatise!!).

I suppose things can be 'tuned' to your liking by other equipments in the chain, and of course the recordings plays a major role. Btw, on this note, anyone out there have tried SHM CD's?

One thing though about the Densen is that so far, they have not given me any trouble (touch wood), considering my BEAT B100 may have celebrated it's 15th year Anniversary !!!

Cheers,

zeebee
sunny sunny Laughing Very Happy
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by stealth Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:16 pm

zeebee wrote:
ongaaron wrote:Bright sounding.

One thing though about the Densen is that so far, they have not given me any trouble (touch wood), considering my BEAT B100 may have celebrated it's 15th year Anniversary !!!

Cheers,

zeebee
Densen DM-10 integrated amp Icon_sunny Densen DM-10 integrated amp Icon_sunny Densen DM-10 integrated amp Icon_lol Densen DM-10 integrated amp Icon_biggrin

Densen DM-10 integrated amp DSC00203

Beat 100 special Editions 35/50

Better improvement design internally with customised components.
stealth
stealth

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by audioassurance Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:45 pm

Hi forget the densen dm10 its not that good my friend has one and he may be getting rid of it i have audio research sp14 and meridian 557 and the difference is alarming huge i can tell you that small company in england that was onix is faaaaarrrrr superior and they are not expensive i have few the other brand that is phenominal for small outlay is english audiolab i have 8000q and 8000p magic very high quality for money Regards Milan

audioassurance

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by sting Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:38 pm

hk5007 wrote:Ryder,

I have used a few speakers with the DM10. My present speakers are Epos 12.2 standmount. But many felt that the DM10 matches very well with Castle speakers. I also own Densen DP-02/DP drive phono stage. Cables are DH Labs silver sonic/Q10.

Who wanna try with my spare Castle Eden speakers!... Densen DM-10 integrated amp Icon_biggrin
sting
sting
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 456
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Character sheet
Source(s): Sony Discman
Amplification: BmB karaoke amplifier
Speakers: Jalan Pasar diy speakers

http://sting-journey.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kostaszag Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:32 am

hello, I own this amp for about 3 years, I bought it NOS from a local dealer and I dont think I will change it soon. It is a very realistic and revealing component, anything your speakers or sources do, either good or bad, you are gonna hear it. At the same time it is extremely musical, listening to music through this is FUN. It is worth waiting for, because I have heard from various sources that later amps from this firm lacked that musicality. The B-100 I heard certainly was no match for the DM-10. The company offers a lifetime warranty, I think even for second-hand machines.Sources are a Marantz SA-7001 SACD player, turntable Lenco L-75 modified by Jean Nantais with Sumiko MMT arm and Grado Red cartridge, Triangle Comet shelf speakers and Nordost cables. I find the Marantz sounds a bit "digital" and harsh compared to the turntable, but I listen mostly to LP anyway.

kostaszag

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:06 am

The B-100 I heard certainly was no match for the DM-10.

Hi there our Greek warrior, Very Happy

Yep, the B100 is definitely a few rungs down the Densen ampliers hierarchy released at that point of time. It was meant for those like myself, with less budget (remembered selling here for RM2,500, selling in the States USD1250 fifteen years ago) Crying or Very sad but at least able to afford something reasonably 'mid-end' Very Happy .

Everything I suppose is relative as mentioned earlier, if you can afford ARC or Meridian set ups, by all means go for them. Even when I emailed Thomas Sorensen (Densen's 'Head Honcho' as he prefers to be called), his reply is as follows:

Hi Zainudin,

Thanks for your support, eventhough it seems to bee a problem, that we make to good products, because you wait 14 years before you upgrade...that is not a lot of business for us But obvious I am proud that I have created a product that you still cherish 14 years after you bought it !

Ironically my Greek friend, I'm setting another NOS stereo set up comprising of Pathos Logos Integrated Amp (sounds Greek but actually Italian Shocked) with Living Voice Avatars (English) and Simaudio Moon CDP (USA) and Malaysian power conditioner/supply unit (excellent product). A United Nation of Hi Fi .. lets see how they compare cheers

Enjoy your music ...

Cheers,

zeebee Laughing
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by hk5007 Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:04 pm

Hi CH,

I guess it's better late to answer than never. I have "potong" already and have no access to the internet.

The DM10 competitors back then includes the Holfi integrated, Audiolab 8000 pre-power and Exposure XX.... pre-power. No, I have never make any a/b comparison with any of the above amps but have heard them in different set up. The DM10 was designed to compete with costlier pre-power combo.

The DM10 has the advantage of price (can be as low as RM3.7K back then while the others are more than 4K) and you save on inter-connect.

The DM10 sounds differently from the Holfi. It leans toward valves while having the muscle and agility of the solid states. It sounds closer to Naim. It takes about 20 minutes to warm up, after that it generates generous amount of ambiance and bass. Bass is deep but not very deep and treble is laid back which means you can listen for long hours without fatique. Its strong point is the mid range - the air guitar factor.

Bye for now.

Bye

hk5007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down