Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Makeover for Maggies

+4
htkaki
WongKN
DrWho
bassraptor
8 posters

Go down

Makeover for Maggies Empty Makeover for Maggies

Post by bassraptor Sun May 01, 2011 11:55 am

Who knows anyone in the Klang Valley who can do hardwood makeovers for Maggies, like the way Peter Gunn does?

http://www.indiespinzone.com/magnestand

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1237
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

http://www.audiofi.net

Back to top Go down

Makeover for Maggies Empty Re: Makeover for Maggies

Post by DrWho Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:52 pm

If you can design one and provide details, my carpenter would be able to construct it. He is a high end carpenter. Will give you his contact if you are keen.
DrWho
DrWho
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2009-10-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers: Genelec

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:54 pm

This SJ fella, waste time la. Straight away upgrade to 3.7 lar. Makeover for what ?!! Twisted Evil
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:53 pm

WongKN wrote:This SJ fella, waste time la. Straight away upgrade to 3.7 lar. Makeover for what ?!! Twisted Evil
lol! Asking people to buy things again. However, if SJ is buying 3.7, then we can have a gathering at his place.
htkaki
htkaki
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 674
Registration date : 2009-01-22

http://www.htkaki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:08 pm

I removed my MMG speaker driver from it's MDF frame, sandwiched the driver between two rectangular frames i made from wood bought from IKEA of all places (easy soft wood to work with). The improvement in sound quality is just incredible.

One of my very close hifi buddies has strongly suggested i stop messing with the speakers, he is of the belief that the manufacturer knows best, and any home made up grade would be futile. But quite honestly, the difference in sound is night and day.

My DIY efforts, however, look absolutely horrible. So yes, if you do find that elusive carpenter i would be most grateful for his phone number.

Would you mind sharing, Dr.Who?

Thanks again & warm wishes,

Bal.

bal

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac
Amplification: conrad Johnson, Oddessy Khartago mono b
Speakers: maggie 1.7

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:14 pm

htkaki wrote:
WongKN wrote:This SJ fella, waste time la. Straight away upgrade to 3.7 lar. Makeover for what ?!! Twisted Evil
lol! Asking people to buy things again. However, if SJ is buying 3.7, then we can have a gathering at his place.

Hear..hear Very Happy

SJ, have to apologize about the planned sending over of the 1.7 didn't work out, I asked for some help but didn't pan out. Part busy and part looking forward to my holidays then. Anyway I did ask AS about trading in the 1.7 (+top up)to 3.7 but no reply yet Very Happy

Ehh.. Forgot to add, looking at the link u provided, the 'framed' Maggie looked good with high WAF but I think he's also trying to market his product (like everyone else). But I'm not comfy on the insinuation about Magnaplanar and those who buys em (read the paragraph after the bold ' I know'.. about Maggies for 'newbies' and 'little money' seems downright arrogant. I admit I have less money but the entire thing, starting from ' my work schedule is full for spring ..' bla, bla, bla just are self promotion for his product.

My two sens..
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:49 pm

Oh.. Thought the plan was well executed. I was actually waiting for someone to post the outcome and findings on the 1.7 in SJ's house.
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:56 pm

car o scope wrote:Oh.. Thought the plan was well executed. I was actually waiting for someone to post the outcome and findings on the 1.7 in SJ's house.

If u r willing to provide the transport, can still do-able Very Happy in August.. In Ramadhan I also 'puasa' from music Evil or Very Mad Perhaps by then SJ Oledi upgrade to 3.7 Very Happy
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:38 pm

ZB, you are too sensitive la. For e.g., he (Peter Gunn) was actually saying that 'other people' are saying that people who buys used Maggies have no money, etc. HE is not saying that. Actually I thought he was quite polite and was careful to thank all his customers several times. Reading the part about the capacitors makes my bekside itchy to do similar things to my Apogees (have to remind myself it's far wiser to scratch. MUST scratch.... Laughing )

If you can work out the logistics and costs, I think you should do something similar with your 1.7s .... Twisted Evil
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:42 pm

I think zeebee has started to show some signs of itchiness oledi. He already mentioned about trade-in enquiries for the 3.7. Razz

In the end, I think we dont need a big car to provide logistic for the 1.7 after all. lol!
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:50 pm

Ok, here's the thing ... I don't want the 3.7. I want big huge moffo speakers that will crush me in my sweet spot Twisted Evil ... I want wilsons or magicos ...I want them to sear my scalp. So ....

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1237
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

http://www.audiofi.net

Back to top Go down

Makeover for Maggies Empty Dr.Who, thank you.

Post by bal Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:08 am

bal wrote:I removed my MMG speaker driver from it's MDF frame, sandwiched the driver between two rectangular frames i made from wood bought from IKEA of all places (easy soft wood to work with). The improvement in sound quality is just incredible.

One of my very close hifi buddies has strongly suggested i stop messing with the speakers, he is of the belief that the manufacturer knows best, and any home made up grade would be futile. But quite honestly, the difference in sound is night and day.

My DIY efforts, however, look absolutely horrible. So yes, if you do find that elusive carpenter i would be most grateful for his phone number.

Would you mind sharing, Dr.Who?

Thanks again & warm wishes,

Bal.

Dear Dr.Who, got your pm and just wanted to express my thanks.

Warm regards,

Bal.

bal

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac

Back to top Go down

Post by Rijang Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:06 pm

Hi guys, just did the razor mod over the weekend and the result is so good that I thought I just had to share it with fellow maggie owners. Its so easy and cheap that it has got to be the best bang for buck (next to the choke tweak). The link to the tweak : http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=mug&n=155318&highlight=Cascade+V-MAXMP&r=

The only thing is that I didnt have cascade but used bitumen based aluminium backed flashing tape (used to repair pipe joints) although I did have a box of Dynamat lying around in the store room that I did used together with the tape
The flashing tape I used is Vita band brand which sells for 19.90 for 30 Metre length which is enough to do my SMG-c.
The resulting improvement to the resolution and imaging is so good that I spent the whole sunday listening to music. In the link above, one guy who did the mod said that its on par to hardwood frame tweak.

Rijang
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:34 am

Sweeeeeet!
Did yee do a full Razor or Half Razor? Please, where to pick up the bitumen based aluminium backed flashing tape?

I have worked with Dynamat before, and it is a bitch to work with. Got cuts all over my hands from the sharp edges of the aluminium.

Where abouts in KL are you? Perhaps we can meet for tea or coffee... i am in medan damansara area and have a pair of MMGs that i am thinking of razoring....

Bal. 012-3058090

bal

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rijang Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:15 pm

Bal,
More like a 3/4 razor, bitumen strips on every other line, wanted to see the effect, now will definately add so that every space between the holes will have the strips.
You can get it from any hardware shop. I recommend Vita Band brand, relatively easy to work with. make sure you have a good sharp cutter, much better than sciccors. I was using the ori dynamat which is thicker but doesnt have aluminium backing.
Yesterday, did two more mods, fuse bypass and Al Sekela's Choke mod.
The choke mod is definately the cheapest and easiest mod for maggie thats its a no-brainer : you need a 10 microhenry choke(inductor) inserted in series with the tweeter which is inserting it into where the U shape connector is.
I strongly reccommend you try the choke tweak. I bought the inductor at jalan pasar for RM1 ringgit each!
I'm in Shah Alam/KLCC, I'll be glad to meetup with with you for coffee. Let me know if there's anything I can help with.

Rijang
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rijang Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:28 pm

Bal,
Sorry forgot to answer where to get the bitumen strips : ACE hardware.

Rijang
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:16 pm

excellent Rijang.

Did Al's(RIP) choke tweek some time ago but not really sure i heard any difference on my set up. Also did the fuse bypass and that really helped, as i suspect it removed a lot of the cheap metal around the fuse and connections. Direct soldering of the main components gives better sound again.

Have you upgraded your cap and coil? If not, it is the next step, unless you have 4 channels of amplification, then you can go active!! Other members posted elsewhere here on hifi for sale the benefits of going active. Must meet up next week... gave my number in the last post, do call or sms me and we can meet up.

Bal.

bal

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down