Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Pre In / Pre Out on Receiver or Amplifier

+4
WongKN
sflam
elhefe
Porex
8 posters

Go down

Pre In / Pre Out on Receiver or Amplifier Empty Pre In / Pre Out on Receiver or Amplifier

Post by Porex Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:25 pm

Hello there...just want to ask anyone here if is an advance users on hi-fi using the Pre In ( Main ) / Pre Out connectors behind the equipment

1. At the same time, the connector usually is design for adding external Power Amplifier for users need some extra and power full sound when added, depend on the suitable equipment. Exactly, what is the other function for that connector than use Power Amplifier? can add other equipment such as extra amplifier or Equalizer etc?

2. Some amplifier ( es-specially vintage amplifier ) has a tape connector behind the the amp, usually have 1 to 2 input/output and Tape monitor included, but the amplifier have different department than and audio input/output like CD/Aux. Exactly why that equipment design like that?

3. Is the phono connector only for turntables only? can use other equipment such as CD, DVD etc?

I am very confuse when i found different department connectors, please share and advice from experience audiophile, technical expert user here..

Cheers.... scratch
Porex
Porex
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-11-27

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Pre In / Pre Out on Receiver or Amplifier Empty Re: Pre In / Pre Out on Receiver or Amplifier

Post by elhefe Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:42 pm

1. Generally the pre out is used to add power amp. Long time ago I did use it to connect to a dolby processor.

2. Not sure what you mean by department, but use the tape in for playback from recording devices such as tapes, MD or DAT. Use the tape out to feed signal to the recording device input. The tape monitor allows you to listen to another source while still recording another source.

3. Yes phono is only for record player.
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Pre In / Pre Out on Receiver or Amplifier Empty Re: Pre In / Pre Out on Receiver or Amplifier

Post by sflam Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:50 am

1) when you use the integrated amp as a preamp, you can connect the interconnects from the 'pre-out' to a power amp of your choice.
when you want to match the power amp section of your integrated amp with another preamp, you can connect the interconnects from the preamp to the "main in".
some people use the preout for biamping.

2) the tape input can be found in older amps dating from the time when tape recorders and cassette players were popular. it is absent from modern amps.

the cd input was introduced when it was discovered that the inputs of amps in the early 1980s when CD was introduced could not handle the dynamic range of CDs. so a special input for CD was included. today, all inputs from cd to aux can handle the greater dynamic range of CDs, so you can actually plug your cd to any input.

3) the phono input was from a time when turntables were common. turntables were plugged into the phono inputs which were connected to a built-in phono preamp that usually handled mm cartridges only. some could handle mm and mc cartridges.
as cd became more popular, this input slowly disappeared from the scene. however, with the current vinyl revival, some new amps have phono inputs.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:53 am

Bear in mind that some manufacturers put a different gain for the CD input compared to other line inputs ('line' input simply means anything EXCEPT phono) like tuner, aux, and so forth. Sometimes the tape input are also at different gain. This means that should you be playing a CD player via the CD input and have set the volume at a comfortable level, if you are to suddenly switch the CD player to another line input like Aux or Tuner, BE CAREFUL and turn down the volume first before you start playing again. Once you hear sound coming out from the amp, then only start to turn up the volume again, looking for the comfortable level setting.

It is actually possible to plug a CD player into the phono input and play but you will hear a 'funny sound', i.e. because it will be squeaky and not sound good. This is due to the phono pre-amplification stage.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Porex Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:50 pm

elhefe wrote:1. Generally the pre out is used to add power amp. Long time ago I did use it to connect to a dolby processor.

2. Not sure what you mean by department, but use the tape in for playback from recording devices such as tapes, MD or DAT. Use the tape out to feed signal to the recording device input. The tape monitor allows you to listen to another source while still recording another source.

Mr. elhefe, Thanks for the use full technical experience, sorry to feel you confused when i'm mentioned department as i said, i mean at the picture below as i attached..Sansui AU7500 ( Current Use )
Pre In / Pre Out on Receiver or Amplifier San_bm12

Excatly..i want to find an Equalizer to add on the amplifier, like you said you use mixed it with dolby processor, Are you have got a quality sounds on that?

Thanks for your caring...
Porex
Porex
Club Member
Club Member

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Porex Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:07 pm

WongKN wrote:Bear in mind that some manufacturers put a different gain for the CD input compared to other line inputs ('line' input simply means anything EXCEPT phono) like tuner, aux, and so forth. Sometimes the tape input are also at different gain. This means that should you be playing a CD player via the CD input and have set the volume at a comfortable level, if you are to suddenly switch the CD player to another line input like Aux or Tuner, BE CAREFUL and turn down the volume first before you start playing again. Once you hear sound coming out from the amp, then only start to turn up the volume again, looking for the comfortable level setting.

It is actually possible to plug a CD player into the phono input and play but you will hear a 'funny sound', i.e. because it will be squeaky and not sound good. This is due to the phono pre-amplification stage.

Mr. WongKN, Thank You very much and i am very appreciated with your advised on the technical brief and i learn many especially the connectors function at the Amp behind. I am a vintage user, Exactly i' m love a vintage equipments. But when i compare a new generation classic amp or receiver and Vintage one, Vintage one is very systematic ( Personally Mind ) function than a new generation amp and receiver almost have a many digital function.

Yes, exactly i do what u said ( level Setting ) after i connect a CD player to the input connector, because safety and care the vintage condition due to the age.
Porex
Porex
Club Member
Club Member

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:41 pm

porex,

yr sansui vintage amp shld have tone - bass and treble (perhaps a mid too) - controls. why do u need an equaliser?

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Porex Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:26 am

sflam wrote:porex,

yr sansui vintage amp shld have tone - bass and treble (perhaps a mid too) - controls. why do u need an equaliser?

Yup...how r u sflam...

Yes, that sansui amp have enough tone as a mid range, treble, bass together with extra tone such as Loudness with frequency tones. I'm listen a lot of song like Heavy Metal, Jazz, Blues, pop, chinese, tamil, and a little bit heavy sounds like Thrashmetal. But to listen Heavy Sound must be find and extra equipment ( My Opinion ) Just want to feel and compare the beat with the suitable equipment. But the sounds from the original tracks from that song have many different mixing, and sometimes cannot feel to listen when i tune the knob for maximum, I'm attached already 10 Band/ Channel vintage Equalizer and the result is very good. But if i want to listen Jazz Song, opr phono stage sounds, just off that Eq. That's why want to adding an equalizer.

Lastly i find the Equipment is suitable for listen that type of genre, Thrashmetal. The Equipment is Sansui Amp ( Vintage ), NAD Amp or Receiver and for me NAD CD Player at 90' made is very good for listen Heavy Songs. Marantz also have a quality sound.

Thats is a reason for me to add Equalizer...
Porex
Porex
Club Member
Club Member

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:07 am

sflam wrote:1) when you use the integrated amp as a preamp, you can connect the interconnects from the 'pre-out' to a power amp of your choice.
when you want to match the power amp section of your integrated amp with another preamp, you can connect the interconnects from the preamp to the "main in".
some people use the preout for biamping.

... and usually to not-very-good results because more often than not, the integrated amp's power stage has a different gain than the external power amp's gain, especially when its from different manufacturers.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:15 am

WongKN wrote:

That is totally Wrong. The sound would actually be missing the highs, but have some big fat bloated and saturated Bass to the point of cracking and clipping.

And this is because phono inputs apply a playback-RIAA curve to the signal which amplifies the bass, and cuts the treble by the RIAA specs.

A LP's grooves are recorded with boosted highs, and reduced bass (lets call this the recording-RIAA {which is just the inverse of the playback curve} curve for clarity's sake), to limit the physical cutter's movement for bass freqs, while to increase treble signals to mask over the material surface noise during LP disc mastering.

But for sure the sound would be totally distorted anyways as a typical CD player's signal output is about 100x more than a record player's output signal. So the Phono input would have mutilated the incoming signal by both over-amplifying it, and also applying the RIAA curve correction to the signal.

Last edited by mugenfoo on Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:22 am

WongKN wrote:Bear in mind that some manufacturers put a different gain for the CD input compared to other line inputs ('line' input simply means anything EXCEPT phono) like tuner, aux, and so forth. Sometimes the tape input are also at different gain. This means that should you be playing a CD player via the CD input and have set the volume at a comfortable level, if you are to suddenly switch the CD player to another line input like Aux or Tuner, BE CAREFUL and turn down the volume first before you start playing again. Once you hear sound coming out from the amp, then only start to turn up the volume again, looking for the comfortable level setting.

Really? Which brands makes the CD input gain different from the other usual line inputs ? Maybe this is just a 5% (or less) case of this occuring.

I have tried NAD, Cambridge Audio, Exposure, Audiolab, Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha, etc... and the CD input gain seems to be the same like any other line level inputs (e.g. tape in, Aux, Tuner, Video, etc...). The only thing different about the CD input is the front label where they print "CD" on the selector switch. OK, some would also just go one step further and give a pair of better "CD" connectors in the rear panel like using WBT jacks. But otherwise, its usually just another line level input like the rest.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:51 am

This was indeed quite common back in the days when CD was first getting popular but not so much nowadays. The Audio Reseach SP-9 does that. The difference in gain between CD and Tuner was very significant. It took me by surprise because I did not expect this practise to be common in newer equipments. As the OP has what he calls a 'vintage' equipment, it is more significant that he has to be careful.

Yes, playing a line source through the phono input is not supposed to be done. But the point is we -will- hear the music but 'funny', mutiliated is probably the better word. What is important is to point out that the sound will be heard but it will be the wrong sound. This is about giving him the information so he will know about it (and don't actually play the CD through a phono input).
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Porex Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:24 pm

WongKN wrote:This was indeed quite common back in the days when CD was first getting popular but not so much nowadays. The Audio Reseach SP-9 does that. The difference in gain between CD and Tuner was very significant. It took me by surprise because I did not expect this practise to be common in newer equipments. As the OP has what he calls a 'vintage' equipment, it is more significant that he has to be careful.

Yes, playing a line source through the phono input is not supposed to be done. But the point is we -will- hear the music but 'funny', mutiliated is probably the better word. What is important is to point out that the sound will be heard but it will be the wrong sound. This is about giving him the information so he will know about it (and don't actually play the CD through a phono input).

Hi friends,

i try already use phono input from CD Player output, but when use a vintage amp, yes, have a "funny sound" comes from the speaker, that' s correct as Mr. WongKN mention, The input only for Turntables, But when i'm use NAD amp with phono input attached with CD Player, have a sound but 50/50 and not satisfied and still propose funny sounds. I try already output from Cambridge DVD, NAD, Marantz, not suitable use that Phono input. The vintage one like Turntable BSR i'm use now, very suitable wih Sansui amp with phono input than NAD amp. NAD Amp have a little distortion can hear. Sansui really very clean. I just use sansui this year, i found what i need.

I'm not use a New Generation Amp yet, Maybe one day want to try, ( Because of Budget )
Porex
Porex
Club Member
Club Member

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:44 pm

Ah yes, as I suspected.

So now that you have tested it, you will know that we don't play 'line sources' via the phono/turntable input. "Line sources" are equipments such as CD players, tuners, cassette decks, DVD and so forth. Their signal are 'correct' in the sense that they are meant to be played back 'as is'. With a turntable, the signal is in a modified and thus incorrect format so you need a 'phono stage', which in this case is inside the amplifier, to convert (or re-modify) it into the correct format so that it will sound right when you listen to it.

So again, turntable inputs have additional circuits inside to modify the signal to sound correct. All the other types of input (what we call 'line inputs') do NOT have this extra circuit.

So in this case, you will now need to always bear in mind that turntable and the rest of other types of equipments like CD, tuner, DVD, etc, are 'different' and that the turntable requires a special input all by itself. This is important to remember because when you eventually have the financial ability to indulge in upgrades to your amplifiers, you will then have to cater for the existence of 'line-only amplifiers' versus amplifiers that have a 'phono' (or turntable) input. Better to know the basics of it, right now, rather than you make a mistake later on when you buy a new amplifier (IF you buy a new amplifier).
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:57 pm

Sound quality was not the best but mainly because I was using an el cheapo RM150 Celestion decoder, bought at a garage sale.

The equaliser that you want to add, you can also use the tape out (or in your amp is Rec Out) instead of pre out.

Porex wrote:
elhefe wrote:1. Generally the pre out is used to add power amp. Long time ago I did use it to connect to a dolby processor.

Mr. elhefe, Thanks for the use full technical experience, sorry to feel you confused when i'm mentioned department as i said, i mean at the picture below as i attached..Sansui AU7500 ( Current Use )

Excatly..i want to find an Equalizer to add on the amplifier, like you said you use mixed it with dolby processor, Are you have got a quality sounds on that?

Thanks for your caring...
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

Back to top Go down

Post by Porex Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:52 pm

When i test it all equipment i keep, All the Equipment have a different characters especially amplifiers. I mean must suitable with myself.
Porex
Porex
Club Member
Club Member

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:20 pm

porex,

u can improve the sound quality of yr system by simply pulling out the u-shaped connectors that connect the 'pre output' to 'main input' and replacing them with a good pair of interconnects.

the u-shaped connectors are probably made of nickel-plated brass.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rasenthiran Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:42 pm

hi WongKN and others,

I have a question here,i have also a vintage amplifier here and i have two aux input,i have connected one to the tuner and another to a marantz cd 63 se cd player. I have an extra mp3 player which i am connecting it tru tape out 1 in my amp because i dont have extra aux input. My question here whether the value of aux and tape out is same or different??Is it ok to practice this cos everytime i need to play the mp3 player,i used turn off the source knob and on the tape knob.

Thanks
rasenthiran
rasenthiran
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2536
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Parasound Zdac/Marantz Cd 63 KI/Sony X505ES/
Amplification: Exposure Super 10/Classe DR-6/Sony TA N90ES/Sansui AU 777 /AU-719/Yamaha RXV-863 Receiver
Speakers: NHT Classic/Monitor Audio Studio 2/Heybrook HB 1

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:16 pm

I think you meant tape IN. Tape out is for you to feed into a tape recorder like cassette or even DAT. If you do not have a tape/cassette recorder then you can use the tape-in as well to complement the other line inputs that you have.

Actually for older equipment, it used to be that the tape-in input has a simpler circuitry and also often higher gain (meaning it plays louder as well). The simpler circuitry also delivers better sound quality. So at one time, more than TWO DECADES ago when CD was first introduced, hifi magazines even recommended to feed it into the tape-in input whenever practical, in order to benefit more from the 'perfect sound forever'. Nowadays this is usually no longer applicable as cassette players are more or less extinct (DAT players were stillborn). So modern amps have a set of consistent line inputs, all with same gain and same sound quality.

Your procedure of switching the source selector off and then engage the tape-in/monitor button is the careful choice and would be one which I personally prefer. Sometimes the arrangement of the tape in/tape out vs the source selector can be 'funny' with certain manufacturers and we might get crossed signals or worse, feedback loops for certain combinations of source selected and tape-in/tape-out. So whenever using tape-in for the first time, it is best to turn the volume down and then play and then adjust to comfortable volume.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by rasenthiran Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:33 pm

Thanks for the clear information wongkn,quite helpfull
rasenthiran
rasenthiran
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2536
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Parasound Zdac/Marantz Cd 63 KI/Sony X505ES/
Amplification: Exposure Super 10/Classe DR-6/Sony TA N90ES/Sansui AU 777 /AU-719/Yamaha RXV-863 Receiver
Speakers: NHT Classic/Monitor Audio Studio 2/Heybrook HB 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Porex Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:12 am

sflam wrote:porex,

u can improve the sound quality of yr system by simply pulling out the u-shaped connectors that connect the 'pre output' to 'main input' and replacing them with a good pair of interconnects.

the u-shaped connectors are probably made of nickel-plated brass.

Mr.sflam, i dont know which one nickel-plated brass that's im understand that is an accesorries, i will browse at google to find how's look that item. And as a semi beginner users like me, he he he, if i'm replace a "chea po" one cable ( Jalan Pasar ) to quality import cable i buy from Professional Audio Store, should i got a quality sounds? Which means, i have an experience, my previous amp have a problem at the Speaker output and have impact the component inside because a cable, but i'm not sure that is wrong installation or Cheo po one cables, specialist told me, and the cost to replace is RM 80.00 + Service... Thank you for advise and information.
Porex
Porex
Club Member
Club Member

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:53 am

porex wrote:
i dont know which one nickel-plated brass that's im understand that is an accesorries

if u look at the photo of the rear of the amp that u posted earlier, the u-shaped connectors are at the bottom left-hand corner.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclop62003 Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Hi,

I have a question and i hope i m not being redundant here.

I want to connect a external processor to my integrated amp. my integrated amp has pre-out, but nothing indicating "main". Can i use my integrated amp's 7.1 input to connect my processor?

Basically, i just wish to use my integrated amp as a pure power amplifier.

Please advice, recommendations welcomed also.

cyclop62003
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:06 pm

cyclop,

Your integrated amp has a 7.1 input? Thats sounds more like an AV amp/receiver.

What external processor are you referring to? Does it have speaker terminals?

To use your integrated amp as a power amp, you would need a 'mains in'. For example on my M6i amp, one of the line input can be switched between HT or Aux. In HT mode, I can take the pre out from my Yamaha AV amp into this line input and just drive my speakers (which are connected to my M6i) using the Yamaha volume control.
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:16 pm

Cyclop,

Perhaps a photo of the rear panel of your amp would help us to answer your questions.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclop62003 Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:52 pm

hi Elhefe -

Yes my amp is av receiver. power+processor. I m getting the emotiva umc-1, to run as pre-amp. i.e. my avr has pre-out, to connect another power amplifier, but i want to connect external processor and use my avr mainly for power.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/av-receivers/T-747-A/V-Surround-Sound-Receiver

I have attached the link to my NAD avr, there is good image of its rear on their website. - WONG KN.

i asked the NAD distributor, they said i could use my 7.1 analog input to connect external processor. Unsure though.

regards,

taj

cyclop62003
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Porex Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:48 pm

cyclop62003 wrote:hi Elhefe -

Yes my amp is av receiver. power+processor. I m getting the emotiva umc-1, to run as pre-amp. i.e. my avr has pre-out, to connect another power amplifier, but i want to connect external processor and use my avr mainly for power.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/av-receivers/T-747-A/V-Surround-Sound-Receiver

I have attached the link to my NAD avr, there is good image of its rear on their website. - WONG KN.

i asked the NAD distributor, they said i could use my 7.1 analog input to connect external processor. Unsure though.

regards,

taj
Hello cyclop62003

Just try connect from your Audio Pre out Department (Front Speaker Connector) to Input ( Equalizer or Processor External and output to your 7.1 input (Rear Speaker Connector also ) turn on 7.1 function at the 7.1 Department button at the AV panel or Remote Transmitter. U have the answer. U can use the second output at the EQ or Dolby Processor to Pre Amp + Power Amp, but must Lock one Channel for example AUX and you have the answer too...

I have this idea when i read a briefing from Mr.elhefe anf Mr.WongKN, when i have that point about the connection system, the result is work done.
Porex
Porex
Club Member
Club Member

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:18 pm

hi cyclop....u can use ur hdmi output from UMC-1 to hdmi in at NAD amp....u can make comparison either it really upgrade the sound or not because ur NAD already built in pre section that suit the manufacturer built as av receiver....

Normally most of the user upgrade buying external power amp and use av receiver as pre section....in ur case only u can judge the quality wise either it really worth in term of money or not.... Very Happy

p/s - if u dont mind to share how much ur UMC ?
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1294
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva
Amplification: DIY
Speakers: Harbeth/JBL?LINN

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclop62003 Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:36 pm

Porex wrote:

regards,

taj
Hello cyclop62003

Just try connect from your Audio Pre out Department (Front Speaker Connector) to Input ( Equalizer or Processor External and output to your 7.1 input (Rear Speaker Connector also ) turn on 7.1 function at the 7.1 Department button at the AV panel or Remote Transmitter. U have the answer. U can use the second output at the EQ or Dolby Processor to Pre Amp + Power Amp, but must Lock one Channel for example AUX and you have the answer too...

I have this idea when i read a briefing from Mr.elhefe anf Mr.WongKN, when i have that point about the connection system, the result is work done.

Hi Porex,

Dont really get you, sorry can break it down for me again ?

cyclop62003
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclop62003 Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:41 pm

fizi wrote:hi cyclop....u can use ur hdmi output from UMC-1 to hdmi in at NAD amp....u can make comparison either it really upgrade the sound or not because ur NAD already built in pre section that suit the manufacturer built as av receiver....

Normally most of the user upgrade buying external power amp and use av receiver as pre section....in ur case only u can judge the quality wise either it really worth in term of money or not.... Very Happy

p/s - if u dont mind to share how much ur UMC ?

Hi Fizi,

I m reserving the umc-1 output for Video. Even if we had a seperate pre and post , we have to use a rca interconnect to connect the pre+post.

I do hope the umc-1 sounds better, theoretically - dedicated processor is better then built in, isnt that what they say?? Smile)..

I m trying the umc-1, given it has the 11 band eq, and 12/24 octave selector, gives me option to tweak my mediocre system. That was the cheapest and easily available.

My dream processor will be however , audio control maestro Smile.

UMC-1 is on sale now so it is 499usd, plus shipping od 100 odd. Got to give it to emotiva, excellent customer service, and they answer all your questions. The 30 day money back guarantee starts from day you receive it. So if i dont like it i can return it.

cyclop62003
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:46 pm

Mr Porex case is different senario.....he using stereo integrated amplifier (analog) that wanna use external equalizer to improve the sound....

Mr Cyclop...in ur case u wanna transmit digital to digital data so i dont think transmit via 7.1 analog output is the answer but no harm to try it..good luck
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): Analog - Lenco/Sota/Thorens/Roksan TT/Akai Reel Player / Digital - Ladiva

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:55 pm

I do hope the umc-1 sounds better, theoretically - dedicated processor is better then built in, isnt that what they say?? )..

Agreed with u on this....normally people will match the processor with external power amplifier for example (UMC 1 with XPA 5) in ur case u wanna use UMC with NAD av receiver (all in one unit)

If i, i will sell the NAD and get the XPA 5 or other power amplifier cheers
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclop62003 Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:09 am

fizi wrote:I do hope the umc-1 sounds better, theoretically - dedicated processor is better then built in, isnt that what they say?? )..

Agreed with u on this....normally people will match the processor with external power amplifier for example (UMC 1 with XPA 5) in ur case u wanna use UMC with NAD av receiver (all in one unit)

If i, i will sell the NAD and get the XPA 5 or other power amplifier cheers

Fizi - i got to agree. Yes, power amp will be good. But given i m dealing with scarce resource, clearly the money, spluring into a good amp, is very very costly, take for NAD instead, roughly RM 10k for 7 channel and thats not even the highest model, then of course we have our marantz and sort.

All equal, reason even considering the NAD as amp,cuz its power handling capability, 60 watts rms per channel, all channel driven at peak @ 8 ohms, and i can tell you, it has a lott of power.

Second thought , interested on my avr SmileTwisted Evil . thinking bout the xpa-5, worried about the shipping cost+ tax.

cyclop62003
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclop62003 Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:14 am

fizi wrote:Mr Porex case is different senario.....he using stereo integrated amplifier (analog) that wanna use external equalizer to improve the sound....

Mr Cyclop...in ur case u wanna transmit digital to digital data so i dont think transmit via 7.1 analog output is the answer but no harm to try it..good luck

fizi - i be more then happy to transmit analog sound Smile. call me old school. Apparently from my research, i have learned, 7.1 analog sound transmitted via 7 rca cables is as good as using a hdmi ,provided the source can encode the DTS-HD MA sound. take an example, a oppo bdp 93 with its renowned analog output and built in encoder. thereotically (again) - connecting 7.1 output from oppo directly into a power amplifier should pass the DTS-HD signal unprocessed directly out.

So begs the question, whats with DTS-HD, DOLBY HD can only be carried via HDMI story right??.. beats me, dying to find out.

Some say, its almost equal, if not better.. ever wondered why people still prefer listening to LP then a SACD, or HCD?? Laughing Idea

Fizi - just sharing my deepest, troubling inner thoughts Smile

cyclop62003
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:43 am

No harm to try ..... for me any digital source is better using new technology that blend it well with current trend...

Im the person is always enjoy analog sound from LP ... LP is analog but CD, SACD or HDCD is from digital source.this is different terminology to compare it with transmit Hi Def to Hi Def

back to ur set up again..as i told, only u can judge the different and it really worth or not in term of money UMC + NAD receiver

Just share my words cheers
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclop62003 Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:56 am

yeah yeah, but now i m worried bout the connection hahah!!! so syiok order umc, then think oh crap!!..

cyclop62003
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fizi Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:07 am

cyclop62003 wrote:yeah yeah, but now i m worried bout the connection hahah!!! so syiok order umc, then think oh crap!!..

get the XPA and u can get more syiok!!! Very Happy
fizi
fizi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Porex Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:29 am

cyclop62003 wrote:
Porex wrote:

regards,

taj
Hello cyclop62003

Hi Porex,

Dont really get you, sorry can break it down for me again ?

Pre In / Pre Out on Receiver or Amplifier Image010

I just try at my old Marantz AV 6.1, same fuction with your Nad AV, that AV suitable for home Theater when u add Woofer or additional surround speaker. For music listener not so satisfied and thats why i adding extra equipment but must a many place in your home. I just change an amplifier because i'm always listen music.
Porex
Porex
Club Member
Club Member

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:15 am

Cyclops,

Now its a bit clearer.

Yes you can use the 7.1 channel input on your NAD and connect to the 7.1 channel channel output from UMC-1. By doing this, you are using UMC-1 as the processor and the NAD is mainly to drive all your 7.1 speakers and sub. It bypasses the digital processor on your NAD.

This set up is usually used for BD players which have an onboard decoder for the audio master track and the AV receiver does not decode the 7.1 channel. These type of AV receiver is usually called 7.1 channel 'ready' meaning they can accept analogue signal of 7.1 channel but cannot decode 7.1 channel.

HDMI from UMC-1 to NAD does not make sense (in fact I am not sure whether it will work/may damage your NAD) because the the signal sent out from the UMC-1 will already be a decoded 7.1 channel which will then feed into NAD digital processor which will decode it again? You can try I suppose. It might just bypass the the digital processor since its already receiving a 7.1 channel signal.

But I guess if you just want UMC-1 to do the decoding, this is my recommended hook up:

1. BD player to UMC-1: Use HDMI
2. UMC-1 to NAD: Use 7.1 channel RCA cable

With this, you are using UMC-1 as the processor and NAD just to drive the speakers.

I hope I get it right from your explanation.

cyclop62003 wrote:
fizi wrote:Mr Porex case is different senario.....he using stereo integrated amplifier (analog) that wanna use external equalizer to improve the sound....

fizi - i be more then happy to transmit analog sound Smile. call me old school. Apparently from my research, i have learned, 7.1 analog sound transmitted via 7 rca cables is as good as using a hdmi ,provided the source can encode the DTS-HD MA sound. take an example, a oppo bdp 93 with its renowned analog output and built in encoder. thereotically (again) - connecting 7.1 output from oppo directly into a power amplifier should pass the DTS-HD signal unprocessed directly out.

So begs the question, whats with DTS-HD, DOLBY HD can only be carried via HDMI story right??.. beats me, dying to find out.

Some say, its almost equal, if not better.. ever wondered why people still prefer listening to LP then a SACD, or HCD?? Laughing Idea

Fizi - just sharing my deepest, troubling inner thoughts Smile
elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclop62003 Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi both,

I guess all of us have the same opinion, just presented differently, in summary 7.1 analog input of AMP + 7.1 Analog out of processor

cyclop62003
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down