Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Shunyata Research - discussion thread

+2
Shanghai
James
6 posters

Go down

Shunyata Research - discussion thread Empty Shunyata Research - discussion thread

Post by James Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:55 pm

Dear Friends,

Anyone tried/owned the Shunyata CX series power cable?

Yes, I have read OdioSleuth's posting on HiFi Unlimited.

But i'm interested to know if anyone has used them on source, pre-amp or power amp.

Appreaciate your kind feedbacks. Very Happy

James
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Shunyata Research - discussion thread Empty Re: Shunyata Research - discussion thread

Post by Shanghai Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:43 pm

I have excellent results with the new CX seris from Black Mamba to Anaconda. I have heard from a reliable source; King Cobra CX is the very best power cord as Shunyata flagship product; Gabriel's ultimate expression of his power cord design that can alleviate noise/consistent current pulses in affecting resolution in sound playback. Other than Nordost Valhalla/ Odin or XLO limited edition , this is consider competitive in performance. The CX PC is quiet, detail yet more dynamic in comparison. This was even after allocating dedicate power lines with audiophile standard current and plugs in my hifi set- up. The timing, speed and music flow, and harmonics and details were excellent in comparison.

Three things I think they do well which Shunyata claims that can be measured,
1. pulses of current flow is consistent/stable,
2. noise dissipation is quicker and
3. drop in Voltage. These three factors explain the results when one obtain better dynamics, energy and details + flow when comparing different quality PC.

Most of the buying decision came from trusting Shunyata R&D and their years of development and specializing in manufacturing in this field. So far not disappointed. On price; Shunyata is more reasonable than the others like Nordost top range PC. The Black Mamba CX is a great start, having said that the Venom 3 is a good bet, expected similar results to the entry level of Wireworld power cords. I got good results with powering projector, NAS and Router.
As to the components;The source or even the power amps (unless is a lower powered amps , the source will demonstrate the most improvement) and preamp is equally important. Follow their guidelines. Shunyata power conditioner is also an excellent product, IT is must!! (Hydra is one of the most biggest important area of sonic improvement) bear in mind the "current" is driving the drivers not the source per se. Happy searching

Shanghai
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Shunyata Research - discussion thread Empty Re: Shunyata Research - discussion thread

Post by James Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:28 pm

Thanks for your helpful feedback, Shanghai.

Looking forward to more feedbacks from others. Very Happy

James
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:16 pm

What are some of these reasonable prices like, for comparison's sakes?

I'm trying out a very cheap (relatively speaking) power cord, costing around RM600.00 retail, and I'm having a whale of a time A/B testing against the kettle cord that my phono stage didn't come with...
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Character sheet
Source(s): RegaPlanar3 w DenonDL103
Amplification: Exposure 2010s2
Speakers: SonusFaberToyTower

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:03 pm

Anyone daring enough (& deep pocketed enough) to re-wire their entire AC line with boutique audiophile cabling from the home DB-box (where legally permissible) all the way to the wall outlets used by the Hifi gear ?
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chewkw Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:56 pm

I did apply my 3 phase and use a single phase with 25mm coper cable from my meter to ELCB to my hifi gear. However, I only can afford to buy kettle power cord..... Too bad

Shanghai is the fan of Shunyata, he should be the right person to ask about this caber.. Right Doc?
Chewkw
Chewkw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Character sheet
Source(s): Naim CDS II
Amplification: Naim NAC52/NAP135
Speakers: Naim SBL

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:03 am

Maybe I'll get Shunyata to come by my place and re-wire the whole joint, so even my light bulbs are pure shining nirvana light and the fan will spin delicately in tune with the universal pulse, plus the refrigerator will be cool and efficient, and the aircon will provide dulcet autumn breezes... Very Happy
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:05 am

But seriously, how does this all work?... recently a major UK retailer was slapped with a fine for 'making false claims' on the efficacy of their cables...
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Hi All,

This site may offer some help on how Shunyata cable works.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/visits/shunyata_visit_interview.htm

To me whatever manufacturer or reviewer claims i take them as just a guide. The real consideration is how it sounds in my own system.

James
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanghai Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:54 am

1. Current " quality" -(the 3 main factors as Shunyata claims/measured above) can affect audio and pictures performance.
2. The closest current supply to the equipment has the most profound effects on sound resolution. ( dynamics, details, speed energy, etc)
If the answer on the above is YES , then happy searching and evaluating power cords as the full potential of your equipments are not realized until then.
Dedicated power supply of audiophile standards + contacts/Plugs + ELCB is a prerequisite for any AV or hifi set up. The number 2 respond to the practicality and cost effectiveness of wiring up the entire room - as the most important one will be the one closest to the component ; primarily the outlet to the power conditioner will be first in line if you used this to powered your entire equipments. Nordost presented a paper 10 years back with WAV music files to show the effects on mechanical isolation, power conditioner and power cords on sound playback. Power cords are expensive and one can pay as much or more than a component. In the world of precision scientific and high end hi-fi equipments , power supply = power is one of those mandatory R&D engineering design/exercise. This enable that the respective equipments are able to work precisely and consistently - better imaging , more precise ,less errors, etc.
In order to make your $ worth it, the advantage of Power Cords + plugs is that they are light, easy and convenient to evaluate. Just plug in your equipment. Start with the entry level ones.

Shanghai
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:28 am

More recently Nordost teamed up with AQ Vertex and presented another demo on how power cords & good racking can reduce the error of music reproduction.
Then they announced that they would release the software soon so people can measure it in their home systems.

http://www.stereophile.com/rmaf2009/breakthrough_approach_to_audio_measurement/?q=rmaf2009/breakthrough_approach_to_audio_measurement

"They also measured differences between CD players. Simply changing from a
stock power cord to a well-made audiophile cord resulted in a 36%
reduction in timing errors between the original WAV file and the same
file burned on to a CD and played back by a typical high-quality player."

http://www.stereophile.com/rmaf2010/nordost_and_vertex_measurements/index.html

...but we're approaching 2012 already. And it all seems to have quiet down lately. Lets hope they (Nordost , AQ Vertex & that military electronics guy) would be preparing a paper to be presented in the next AES convention and open up their findings to meticulous scrutiny amongst the audio engineering & scientific community soon.

On the sideline, companies like Franck Tchang Acoustic, Lessloss, Shakti Innovation or Steinmusic would be probably never be able (nor would they want) to subject their acoustic treatment products to lab analysis, proper validation & scientific scrutiny, unlike the Industry flag bearers like RPG Inc.(The Rolls-Royce of Acoustic treatment), ASC (of Tube Trap fame), RealTraps, GIK Acoutics & Auralex, just to name a few.

There are alot of companies who like to prey on the layperson by borrowing alot of scientific buzzwords like EMI, Resonance, Noise and the like just to sell a new brand of reptile juice.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:50 am

hmm... but many of the Shunyata explanations of the proven facts over power cord that affect the sound; has been worked to dead by many of the cable brands and even individual DIY..

Would be interested to know other factors as well. Guess again those trade secret is too much of a snake oil for layman like us to understand or they fear of being framed as another reptile juice producer, if disclosing it?

IMO and findings, there are some that still consider trial science, part true, part superstitious:

- Deep freeze!! reduce resistance.

- weird machine or molded block at termination end, or somewhere in between.. suspect some sort mechinical suppressor for microphonics effect.

oh.. I believe I've read before, that there was cable that submerge in a tube of water/cooling liquid to keep it cool so the resistance remain minimum.. wonder still on sales or not. hmm.. water can be a good control over certain resonancestoo~~

It seems some reptile juices are after all a healthy supplement. Smile

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:53 pm

Well, there are alot of such claims ... and supposedly "proven" ideas.

But the important thing is also to put cost in perspective. Just like the previous thread, would you spend RM20+K on some blackbody stones when you could have bought a whole new loudspeaker pair ?

If you've got a RM5K~10K pair speaker (which should be very decent sounding already), would you go and spend RM20K for some metal blocks or RM10K for a bunch of barbie & Ken miniature tea-cup set ?

And on the topic of EM absorption, there are always more than one approach. Just get some thick blocks of leadshots or lead shavings. Sure to absorb EM ! Or even a simple copper plate placed "strategically" and wired to ground is an EM absorber & screen already.

But then again, some people need to feel that the thing only truly works after they have paid $$$$ for such boutique devices.

I know a guy with a fairly basic system, simple CD , Amp, Speakers... then he goes off and spends the equal amount of $$$ on tweaks like footers and stuff. Hey, whatever makes him happy. But just IMO, I'd rather use the same amount of budget to get a much better system altogether.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:25 pm

Is RM500+ too much to pay for Shunyata entry level, Venom/Viper/SomeSnakeyName power cord?

Are people somewhat relectant to share prices on these puppies?
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:26 pm

IMO, a couple hundred bucks for a decent length power cord is not too bad. Some more tangible benefits to look out for:
1) It is well insulated so that it would give you years of lasting usage ?
2) Does it come with a good quality plug on both ends?
3) is it shielded so that it helps reduce your phono electronics from picking up stray hum?
4) Most importantly, if you're absolutely convinced that it really does improve the sound... (ok, this might be rather intangible, but has "emotional" benefit)

then go for it. Smile
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:41 pm

Hi Jedi,

hmm but most of it products are in US plug..

If you need to get a converter on another end towards the wall plug or distributor.. you are better of with the standard UK Plug version...

RM500 is good enough money for a power cord already~

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by James Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:17 am

Hi All,

Finally got my hands on 2 Power Snakes, Shunyata Black Mamba HC/CX and Python CX Series. Hope i can find time to write a review on them.
Shunyata Research - discussion thread Snake213

James
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:46 am

Cool looking snakes! How much do they cost?

By the way, how much should one expect to pay for some old Shunyata Sidewinder power cords?
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by James Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:56 am

Hi Jedi,

Suggested Retail Price for 1.8M US 15amp plug:

Black Mamba HC/CX - RM2,500

Python CX - RM4,600

I'm not sure about the price of an old Sidewinder. Sorry bro.

James
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:51 am

Michael Fremer visits the Shunyata Factory and interviews the founder Caelin Gabriel.

Very impressive setup. This definitely does not seem like a voodoo black magic fly-by-night company. Otherwise they would have "bungkus" after a few years of "hit-n-run" scams already.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/visits/shunyata_visit_interview.htm
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:04 pm

Dssshhh dsssshhh hissssssss!

Maybe they have a snake charmer on staff!
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down