Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

B&W CDM 9 NT vs Proac Response 3.8 speakers

3 posters

Go down

B&W CDM 9 NT vs Proac Response 3.8 speakers Empty B&W CDM 9 NT vs Proac Response 3.8 speakers

Post by CN Yee Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:14 pm

I saw 2 speakers or comparable pricing on sales:

B&W CDM 9NT (used) RM8.5K advertise in this group
Proac Response 3.8 (used) RM 10K at CMY

So which one is better value for money?

Secondly, I owns a Denon 1909 (90W per channel). I was told that it will not drive the Proac speakers properly. Would it be OK for the B&W?

Thanks for sharing....

CN Yee
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Back to top Go down

B&W CDM 9 NT vs Proac Response 3.8 speakers Empty Re: B&W CDM 9 NT vs Proac Response 3.8 speakers

Post by - br@d - Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:50 am

I would say the Pro-ac is value for money as it used to be USD$7200.00 Average used price should be around USD$3880.00 & as for the B&W CDM 9NT
New USD$2600.00 Used Av USD$1660.00.
Please note that the Pro-ac(1998) is an older model compared to the CDM9Nt (2001). Nevertheless, please audition before buying.

Your denon 1909 I would say still can run but would not be the right match and would not push full potential of the speakers.

- br@d -
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

B&W CDM 9 NT vs Proac Response 3.8 speakers Empty Re: B&W CDM 9 NT vs Proac Response 3.8 speakers

Post by - br@d - Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:56 am

If your budget is around RM 8.5K - 10K. would i suggest you a new Haberth Super HL5 if you are planning to hear music more. Its about Rm9K new at tropical audio.

If you love floorstanders for both movies and music... I would say a secondhand Sonus Faber Concerto Grand Piano say around Rm5.5K.

- br@d -
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by CN Yee Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:31 pm

Thanks br@d for you suggestions. I dropped by Tropical Audio today and brought a HT system put together by Sam.

I did not have to hesitate much. The moment I heard the speakers I knew sound like that would cost a lot more anywhere else.

CN Yee
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by - br@d - Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:02 am

Hi CN,

Happy to hear that!
Which system did you purchase?

- br@d -
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by CN Yee Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:59 am

Compact 7ES for the front,
HLP3ES (pair) for central
NRG2 for surround

It took a bit of considerations to decide between Compact 7 and sHL5.

CN Yee
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by wsyam Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:27 pm

if i were u i would go for the response 3.8........dont worry too much about the wattage on your amp......im using the response 2.5..and driving them with eico st 40 (1958 model) with only 18w..... Cool .......trust me its not really about the numbers..its how efficient is your amp that needs to be asked....

wsyam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by CN Yee Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:06 pm

wsyam, Thanks for your suggestion. I am very happy with my Harbeth speakers. It is 25% cheaper than the 10 years old Response 3.8. More importantly I simply love the Harbeth sound. This is one purchase that I know I won't regret.

You are right, amplifier wattage is not so critical. I think solid state electronics has improved so dramatically in recent years that even entry level stuff can deliver reasonable performance. But such is not the case with speakers. My humble Denon is doing fine, at least for now...

CN Yee
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down