Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

60" TV vs HD Projector

+2
WongKN
elhefe
6 posters

Go down

60" TV vs HD Projector Empty 60" TV vs HD Projector

Post by elhefe Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:26 am

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a bigger screen for my movie sessions. Currently using Samsung 55" LED TV (no 3D). So the question now, what would be a worthwhile change - a 60" LED TV (thinking of Sharp Aquous) or go for a projector?

If projector, can anyone recommend a good model?

Some requirements:

1. It does not have to be 3D capable but dont mind if it does. Is there any 3D projector nowadays?

2. Need to have a decent picture quality for ASTRO usage as well (HD and normal channels)

3. It will be placed in a living room, not a dedicated room. Picture below:

60" TV vs HD Projector 5483616861_22a2351ae9_z

4. Do I need a dedicated screen on can use my wall?

5. Any recommendation on companies that do no obligation house survey/estimate to install projector?

6. My source would be Oppo BD player, ASTRO BYond, Marantz DVD player, all fed through Yamaha RXV2067 receiver. Hence only 1 HDMI input required on the projector.

7. Budget? Not sure as this is the first time to look at projector option. But for 60" TV, budget is about RM12K lah.

Appreciate your comments.

60" TV vs HD Projector Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

60" TV vs HD Projector Empty Re: 60" TV vs HD Projector

Post by WongKN Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:45 am

For these sort of matters, no need to think. Go talk to HTKAKI and COS !!! First choice. Strongly recommended.

Alternatives : drop by HiWay Laser and have a chat with Kenny.

Alternately you can also consult with AV Designs in KL (near Shangri-La) if your wallet is burdening your pockets with its weight. Wait, hang on, I apologize. History has proven that you wallet is always heavy and your pockets bottomless.... lol!

My dua sen ? With HD projector, you must have a screen, as good as possible. You will have problems with whether it is made a fixed or motorised screen since you are playing in the hall (motorised screen needs extra care to ensure it is as flat as possible). With projector, you really don't talk about small boy screen sizes like 55 or 60" anymore. It is usually 100" or more. But with projector, you need to watch in as dark an environment as possible to get best results. Yes, modern projectors can still play with the lights on but if you want to blow 'sap-kei cheen' or more on a projector (or even TV), you really should try to get the best out of it. Money don't grow on trees you know. Wait, oops, sorry sorry, again, it only don't grow on mine, but yours ??! Laughing

Lots of other considerations. Best to talk to experts. I only steal little bit of knowledge here and there from my friends who are H/T experts.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:06 pm

I dont know why, but I had a strong hunch that you will be the one to reply first. Smile

Was thinking about HTKAKI but him being in Seremban, not sure he would be willing to come over to have a look at my living room. Nevertheless, HTKaki and COS, please feel free to offer yourself heheheheh.

Didnt know Kenny do projector installation as well. That will be the other option as well. The only thing I hate is the parking there in SS2.

The closest would be AV Design of course. Take the lift from my office on Level 13 straight down to Level 2 hehehehe. Same building maaarr.

Maybe will do that today or tomorrow.

Yes, I believe projector would be a huge step up from 55" compared to 60". went to see the 60" just now. In the shop, feels like there is a lot of different with 55" but I think once set up at home, I will not be able to experience the difference. But with 100" viewing area with the projector, I am not sure whether the viewing distance and ceiling height will be sufficient for optimal projection.

Darkness no problem. Actually the living room is equipped with 100% darkness curtains. Custom made for the room as it is the movie room as well.

As for the bottomless wallet, again...managed to get a god financier. Two fine gentleman agreed to sponsor this project. Maybe you also know him, its Mr. Alan Visa and Mr. Ahmed Mastercard. Smile

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:11 pm

eh...htkaki or maxx audio is in seremban?

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:22 pm

It's just coincidence la. I received notification that I have a PM so I came in to check. Then though "might as well check and see what's been happening in H4S". Then I saw your post... Laughing

Correct, Max and Ben are in Seremban. Their shop is actually very near the Seremban toll exit la, so should be no problem for you right ? I mean, back in the heydays of HCOC, you will probably be one of those who complains loudly why our convoys only goes to Seremban and not Segamat. "My car won't even have a chance to warm up properly", I can almost hear you say... Very Happy

Parking is not that bad at HiWay if on Sat afternoons. Actually there is quite a good chance you will find parking near the shop. If not, there usually are some empty lots further down the road. Just need to walk a bit.

And of course remembering that you work in the same building as AV Designs, I had to recommend you go there as well la. 11 floors away only mah. But I am sure you do know that you need to call ahead to make an appointment, right ? The two times I drop by (without calling ahead), they were closed. "Out for installation", says the note on the glass door. If you really need a name at AV Design, try to talk to Jeff Ho. He is ex-HCOC actually...
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by se7enhafiz Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:19 pm

hi bro..juz wanna give u some opinion..if u are more to movies and astro..better off to buy plasma..u can buy top of the line plasma from panasonic or samsung..pls check with hiwaylaser..they got samsung 64D8000 for 10k now..previously 16k..worth the money..but..if u got space go for projector though..but u need to remember 1 thing also..to setup a good quality projector u need to think of few things..like the screen..lighting control also..

se7enhafiz

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:13 pm

Yaaa WongKN. Have to call for appointment for AV Design. But sometimes I just drop by on the way down for lunch. Before I got my CLiC I was interested to get a Sonos set up. Went there. Unfortunately he could not make the Sonos to work. So I didnt purchase one. But had a listen to Bryston streamer and DAC of course.

Sevenhafiz,

Thanks for the heads up on the offer from Hiway. i assume its a 64" plasma right?

I am not sure whether the living room I have now is suitable for projector or not, size wise. I need a professional to come and have a look because neat wiring is needed too.

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:18 am

Hhmmmmm... now I remember why I have not got into 3D...

was setting up the 3D glasses for my FIL last night to watch the Man U VS Wolves game, used it for 5 minutes and started to feel nauseas. And end up vomitting.

So.....3D is definitely not a requirement for both choices TV or Projector.

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Hi-Fi 4 Sale Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:35 am

elhefe wrote:

Yes, I believe projector would be a huge step up from 55" compared to 60". went to see the 60" just now. In the shop, feels like there is a lot of different with 55" but I think once set up at home, I will not be able to experience the difference. But with 100" viewing area with the projector, I am not sure whether the viewing distance and ceiling height will be sufficient for optimal projection.

Bro,

Check out http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm
Good database for making some preliminary estimates.
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Hi-Fi 4 Sale
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 934
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Character sheet
Source(s): Streamer
Amplification: Amps
Speakers: Speakers

https://www.hifi4sale.net

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks hifi4sale...good website.

Anyone here using Optoma HD60 projector? care to share your experience using this projector? I am eyeing for that one.

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:47 pm

Hi Elhefe,

For your RM12K budget, you may consider a few models such as Optoma HD20 (no 3D but very cheap), HD33 (3D. But you have nausea), Epson TW6000 and probably TW8000. A little more, you can get Sony HW30ES.

As for screen size, we need to know the distance from the front wall. I can pay you a visit on Fri afternoon if you are free.

The HD60 is obsolete model.

1. Many FHD projectors are 3D ready. Some comes with a pair or two of glasses.

2. The HD Channel has no problems. Only normal channels since your Yammy will be upscaling to fit the native rez of the FHD pj. IMHO, still decent enough.

3. As long as light can be controlled in your living room, it is ok. I have a cust who did black out curtain for his living area.

4. It is better to have a proper screen. In your case, electric screen will be ideal. When not in use, just scroll it back and you can watch your TV (if you decide to keep it). If not, a fixed screen will be the best choice for PQ and flatness of the screen. You do not want to have 'waves' on it.

5. Any recommendation on companies that do no obligation house survey/estimate to install projector? Ahem, may I? Embarassed

6. My source would be Oppo BD player, ASTRO BYond, Marantz DVD player, all fed through Yamaha RXV2067 receiver. Hence only 1 HDMI input required on the projector. - You only need 1 output for the pj. If you use TV and pj, then a splitter is needed.

You may e-mail to me : maxx@htkaki.com
htkaki
htkaki
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 674
Registration date : 2009-01-22

http://www.htkaki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:59 pm

MAXX is a good bloke.

Elhefe, if you want I will drive you down to S'ban one evening for hanging out and TKSS....
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Character sheet
Source(s): RegaPlanar3 w DenonDL103
Amplification: Exposure 2010s2
Speakers: SonusFaberToyTower

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:03 pm

waaaahhhh Jedi....very quiet...then suddenly want to poison... you appear hehehe..

htkaki....will email you soon. Thanks for the reply.

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:07 pm

I been busy arguing semantics and Dungeons and Dragons over at the DSD thread... Nuances and humor are often lacking in this hardboiled hifi environment. And as if that weren't enough you now wanna go play home theater!!!

When set up please reserve viewing slots for me....
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:19 pm

Hahaha....yes the never ending debate of which format is better ...DSD vs TT, iPad vs Samsung tab, CD vs CAS/DAS etc....

I always prefer VCD....supreme in every way hehehehe.

For you, special sofa will be placed...OSIM massage chair...

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:41 am

Maxx,

Check your email please...

htkaki wrote:Hi Elhefe,

For your RM12K budget, you may consider a few models such as Optoma HD20 (no 3D but very cheap), HD33 (3D. But you have nausea), Epson TW6000 and probably TW8000. A little more, you can get Sony HW30ES.

As for screen size, we need to know the distance from the front wall. I can pay you a visit on Fri afternoon if you are free.

The HD60 is obsolete model.

1. Many FHD projectors are 3D ready. Some comes with a pair or two of glasses.

2. The HD Channel has no problems. Only normal channels since your Yammy will be upscaling to fit the native rez of the FHD pj. IMHO, still decent enough.

3. As long as light can be controlled in your living room, it is ok. I have a cust who did black out curtain for his living area.

4. It is better to have a proper screen. In your case, electric screen will be ideal. When not in use, just scroll it back and you can watch your TV (if you decide to keep it). If not, a fixed screen will be the best choice for PQ and flatness of the screen. You do not want to have 'waves' on it.

5. Any recommendation on companies that do no obligation house survey/estimate to install projector? Ahem, may I? Embarassed

6. My source would be Oppo BD player, ASTRO BYond, Marantz DVD player, all fed through Yamaha RXV2067 receiver. Hence only 1 HDMI input required on the projector. - You only need 1 output for the pj. If you use TV and pj, then a splitter is needed.

You may e-mail to me : maxx@htkaki.com

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:09 pm

Aaaahhhh waiting for a quote.... Excited.

A survey was done and a 1 song hifi session...

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:51 pm

S when we go S'ban???
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:57 pm

On vacation again 7 to 22 April.....first week in Singapore then 2nd week free......

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:01 pm

Wow!!! Lucky dude!!
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:17 pm

Oi....thats a hint lah when I am free to go seremban....

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:57 pm

Roger!
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet