Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Offensive Speaker Cable

+3
JediSavant
htkaki
adrian4454
7 posters

Go down

Offensive Speaker Cable Empty Offensive Speaker Cable

Post by adrian4454 Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi Guys,

Sorry to mislead you, there is nothing offensive here. It is just me trying to get your attention.

I've been looking for a change in my speaker cable for a long long time now, as I've been having symptom of unexplained itch at my backside.

Currently running on an old Van den hul D-352 non hybrid version. Love the deep bass and tonal richness it can summon. It is a 10 AWG. But again, the slightly lumpy low end and not too open mid to high is a troubling me abit.

I have phobia of bright and harsh sounding cable, I love tone richness, great body, deep soundstage, and smooth sounding, as my current setup hasn’t given me enough of this, but a sound too airy and clinical as well as too much brightness if I tries any run the mill speaker cable. Amp and Speaker is Exposure 2010s2 and Epos M12i.

Consider I would have RM1k to spend, what speaker cable u recommend? No lean sounding cable ok! I have VdH The Magnum hybrid in mind, what are the other stuff u guys recommend? Thanks.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Offensive Speaker Cable Empty Re: Offensive Speaker Cable

Post by htkaki Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:19 pm

Drive down to Seremban, we try out different cables with your Epos. Apa macam?
htkaki
htkaki
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 674
Registration date : 2009-01-22

http://www.htkaki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Copper QEDs are good for tone and some of that liquid sugary goodness, given that the 2010s2 (great amp by the way, run one myself!!) can be bright if paired with silver cables such as the QED Silver Anniversary XT. it just becomes too clinical and harsh, in my room anyway. That way, I defaulted to my ahem, reference ancient-can't-tell-the-model-QED 15foot copper cables.

I've tried Supra cables (their second least expensive cable) and those are nice too, but currently I'm keen to give the DH Labs a go as I believe they're in the RM1000 price range for a 3m pair.

One thing you could try right now would be keep the banana plugs at the amp end of things (I mean, like, do we have any other choice??) and try bare wire going into your speaker binding posts. That has helped increase dynamics and tonal range, extending both top and bottom ends, in my case.

Good luck and keep us posted!!
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Character sheet
Source(s): RegaPlanar3 w DenonDL103
Amplification: Exposure 2010s2
Speakers: SonusFaberToyTower

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:52 pm

Adrian4454, dude. A pail of warm salutations to you. Ah, the familiar itch, strikes one at the worst of times. I once had an unshakable obsession to buy a new power amp at 2am. And there was nothing i could do but go cold turkey. Brrr, gives me the shivers to just recall.

I have a fondness for the Goetz Mi 2 for precisely this reason. It was my cable for quite a while, edging out (in my humble opinion) the anti-cables and various belden, gotham and canare cables. Very nice centre image and deep bass. You get top end but no whiteness, no sheen, no wretched tizz. Like mummy bears porrage, it's 'just right'.

Or at least it was until i heard the synergistic research i bought. So now my Goertz are up for sale. Listed elsewhere in our forum for rm500, which is dirt cheeeep, but you are most welcome to just listen if you like. They really are delightful cables. I've got some gotham canare and belden lying around should you like to listen as well, they are all nice warm cables also as i too, have a disdain for brighness in my cables. I like them dumb. he he he he.

Shoot me a phone call or sms if you would like to listen. Err, hang on hang on hang on. You're in malacca, the land of the excellent Pong-tey. Well, next you are in kl you are welcome to come over and listen, as long as you don't moonlight as a serial killer during your free time (or any time, actually.Very Happy )

Bal. 012-3058090.

bal

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac
Amplification: conrad Johnson, Oddessy Khartago mono b
Speakers: maggie 1.7

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:59 pm

Hi HTkaki,

Wah, u try to drag me into the poison den.. Anyway, what poison u have with u? I work in Senawang~.. Never really have the chance to visit u and the gangs who often did gathering there due to family commitment.

Hi Jedi,

Thanks for the advise, and I knew u have the same babe as mine. Thanks for being with me on concession over it bright sounding and reviewing nature. Ya only banana backend it can accept.. only make life difficult for us.

I use both banana end, as the speaker jumper I use is bare. Do you know the exact model of the QED taht u use?

Regards,

Adrian

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi Bal,

It is because of ur Goertz cable on sales, that the itchy spot got worst. Been checking in and out on this during the weekend.

Is it true that it has a zobel network somewhere in the termination? Because both ends are spade... it is a hard fact for me to add another converter at the amp end... I also have phobia of having many different type of metal in between equipment connection. Damn, I am sick.

Regards,

Adrian

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:18 pm

Now now Adrian, there is a cure!! Infact there are two,...

1) Fat giagantic bank account. sigh. i'm bum out of luck here.

2) Going deaf. too frightening to contamplate.

Yes there is a tiny zobel network already in one end of the cables. But both ends are spade, and cannot cut and paste (solder!) bananas, due to the nature of the flat copper.

The synergistic research i have is really nice but above 1k, and can reveal short coming s else where in the set up, for eg i had to change some power chords. Then i soulded nice. But before the power chords change, there was some 'whiteness', brighness or sheen.

HOpe you find your magic cable soon Adrian4454 Dude!

Bal.

bal

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:37 pm

Adrian, from memory they are QED F-200 or something... they are old, like 12-15 years old. I'll go take a look later when I get home.

Do give it a try by taking your cable now and removing the speaker end plug and going bare wire. A bit of nudity makes all the difference. Bareback no holds barred contact baby... yeah...
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by joydivision Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:45 pm

bal wrote:

The synergistic research i have is really nice but above 1k, and can reveal short coming s else where in the set up, for eg i had to change some power chords. Then i soulded nice. But before the power chords change, there was some 'whiteness', brighness or sheen.

Bal.

Bal,

Are you looking for these power chords?

Offensive Speaker Cable 300px-10

I thought of suggesting you this instead as it's a perfect match for your speaker cables. Cheers.

https://www.hifi4sale.net/t25039-synergistic-research-power-cord-used
joydivision
joydivision
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2009-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi Bal,

Thanks. Cant meet either of the options Smile who knows I will end up buying ur cacing pita cable.. pun intended.. I do have an Alphacore interconnect with cacing pita twist in it.. Though not using it anymore.. cant remember how exactly it sound as I have been playing with too many interconnect. one day wanna see how it sonically pleasure me again..

Hi Jedi,

Hmm old cable, loving it ya. Mine is believed to be more than 15 years as well. Those copper inside must have gone through similar aging(minus the heat here) process of the Audio Note cable after using it for this long Smile I know about the bare wire treatment, but my termination was professionally done by someone last time, I believe with soldering; so I dont have the heart to cut it.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:37 pm

This month koyak. Both cars (wife's and mine) in the shop.

Have to wait till next time. Singapore also selling Sing 550. Better don't look too hard. Learning to walk away when the poket is pokai. bounce

Bal.

bal

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:13 pm

adrian4454 wrote:Hi HTkaki,

Wah, u try to drag me into the poison den.. Anyway, what poison u have with u? I work in Senawang~.. Never really have the chance to visit u and the gangs who often did gathering there due to family commitment.

Adrian, some of the NSAG members work in Senawang too. Heck, many Seremban folks work in Senawang. Silly me.

I have er... Kimber Kable 4TC, 8TC, XLO, Ultralink, not that many actually.
htkaki
htkaki

Number of posts : 674
Registration date : 2009-01-22

http://www.htkaki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CKWong Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:03 pm

If you are willing to spent c.a. RM1K, I strongly recommended that you go for NVA LS5 speaker cables, only available in eBay:

http://www.ebay.com.my/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=NVA+LS5&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Top up some more if you wish to have bi-wire version.

Good luck! Smile

CKWong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by JediSavant Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:01 am

There are XLO speaker cables in Seremban???
JediSavant
JediSavant
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:28 pm

try the dh labs q10 biwire available at acoustique systems, amcorp mall.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:36 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the recommendations. Been checking it and forgive me for being dumb on relying reviews as my filter point.

NVA cable tak ada reviews.. dont exactly know what is it basic characteristic.

DH Labs q10, got see the word bright.. so quite takut to approach this.

HTkaki, I may try to find time to look for u 1 day~.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CKWong Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:55 pm

adrian4454 wrote:Hi Guys,

Thanks for the recommendations. Been checking it and forgive me for being dumb on relying reviews as my filter point.

NVA cable tak ada reviews.. dont exactly know what is it basic characteristic.

You may research here:
http://thehifisubjectivist.noadforum.com/viewforum.php?f=3

CKWong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down