Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Michell Gyrodec owners

3 posters

Go down

Michell Gyrodec owners Empty Michell Gyrodec owners

Post by mthoi Thu May 31, 2012 3:24 pm

Are there Gyrodec owners out there?

I am committing to a gyro SE with SME 3009 arm. I have not decided on the cartridge and phono-preamp.

Any suggestions on the cartridge, phono, and tips on set-up, mods and tweeks?

I would like to hear from you.

mthoi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Character sheet
Source(s): Marantz SAKI Pearl, Michell Gyro, Garrard 401, Lenco L75, Technics SL1200II
Amplification: c3g/F2a + C3m/300b PP biamp, 26 Preamp, 76 Preamp + 2A3/845, c3o/300b, Quad 34/606
Speakers: Harbeth SHL5, Altec A7 288-8G/1505B VOTT + JBL 2404H, Tyler Acoustics + Altec 288/Jabo Horns

Back to top Go down

Michell Gyrodec owners Empty Re: Michell Gyrodec owners

Post by samazzah Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi, firstly I hope that Talat is viewing this site because he is a charter member. Am probably the other one. Gyrodec SE is a neutral performer in this era of newer turntables - good for all kinds of genre of vinyl and better for used ones. The starter is always the Rega RB250/300 arm, the cartridge recommended can be any moving magnet/moving coil. The step up can be any low cost one but a good start is the Clearaudio nano or even the NAD. Set up, well you might get some from the net such as www.originlive.com - it recommends not to tighten the arm/cartridge too tightly. Another is the Van Den Hul site. Other tweaks in the future is to get the screw on clamp mod, the sub chassis (Orb) damping mod. These are cheaper mods unless you go for the straight Orb conversion. In short, its a great t/table. Good luck then.
samazzah
samazzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Character sheet
Source(s): CA Azur 851 Streamer/Michell Gyro/OL Conqueror/ VDH Frog
Amplification: Nuprime STA-9
Speakers: B&W 706 /AVI DM 10

Back to top Go down

Post by crittertoo Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:38 am

where can one audition a Michell turntable in msia?

crittertoo
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by samazzah Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:01 am

According to their website www.michell-engineering.co.uk the local agent is still Millenium (Simon Chang) based in Johor (the KL office is no longer in business) and the S'pore agent is Ultralinear in the Adelphi. To be fair to Simon, he is OK and fairly skilled but please check prices before committing.
If you want an (biased though) opinion, Adrian (Audio Image, yes) used to be an agent for Michell t/tables.
Otherwise you can give me a buzz (PM please) if in Shah Alam.
samazzah
samazzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Character sheet
Source(s): CA Azur 851 Streamer/Michell Gyro/OL Conqueror/ VDH Frog
Amplification: Nuprime STA-9
Speakers: B&W 706 /AVI DM 10

Back to top Go down

Post by mthoi Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:18 am

Hi Samazzah/Crittertoo,

I have finally set-up my gyro se and have been listening for the last 30+ hours with the SUT and Phono. This is my first experience in TT and have a steep learning curve - it is still "work-in-progress" but "listen-able".

I would like to join the listening session if there is one. Likewise, I would like to invite you both to to my place and compare notes. I am contactable via 012 2236 517.

mthoi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): Marantz SAKI Pearl, Michell Gyro, Garrard 401, Lenco L75, Technics SL1200II
Amplification: c3g/F2a + C3m/300b PP biamp, 26 Preamp, 76 Preamp + 2A3/845, c3o/300b, Quad 34/606
Speakers: Harbeth SHL5, Altec A7 288-8G/1505B VOTT + JBL 2404H, Tyler Acoustics + Altec 288/Jabo Horns

Back to top Go down

Post by crittertoo Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:06 pm

thank you so much for the invitation, I am a complete noob as well, the dealer does the setup and I only switch her on...Smile

I have been looking the the wilson benesch full circle and michell engineering offers....Smile

I will contact u via PM.

Appreciate your offer VERY MUCH....

crittertoo
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by crittertoo Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:12 am

Super poison injector DR MTHOI, injected me with the deadly cobra venom laced with super relaxing and wide soundstaging horns feed by cyanide laced SETs.

Now i gotta go find some Lenko (modified and updated arms) to audition...anyone got a Lenko for an audition...pleaseeeeeeeeee Smile

mmmm...the SME V arms looks damn seductive......Smile

and that dickson is not helping my wallet either !!!!!

crittertoo
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by crittertoo Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:36 pm

lenko - http://www.artisanfidelity.com/Lenco-L75-.html

cukup poison ?

crittertoo
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mthoi Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:57 am

Thought I would give an update on my Gyro journey and some of the tweeks I have adopted. I have had the opportunity to meet with other Gyro owners and feedbacks from fellow vinyl enthusiasts over the last few months. The net is also very informative on the Gyro and tweeks (e.g. vinylengine, etc.). After all the tweeks, I am listening more to the Gyro over my other TT.

I have adopted some of the tweeks and upgrades as follows :-

i. Damping the chassis. (RM 80 for bitumen pads from a car auto shop and one evening work). The Gyro is an open frame TT and from my experience, do benefit from some damping. Perhaps darker soundstage and reduces the bright highs.

ii. Stuffing cotton in the suspension spring assembly. (RM 0.50? - 12 pieces of wife's facial cotton). Got this from the net discussion. I can't get the bounce of the TT right. The cotton stuffed (lightly) in-between the spring improves the soundstaging somewhat.

iii. Leveling of the outboard motor and decoupling of the motor using blu-tac (RM 6). The leveling allows the belt to be at the same horizontal level as the paltter. Thought that improves the bass somewhat.

iv. Squash ball in a ceramic cup to decouple the TT platform (RM 50). I thought it improves the clarity somewhat.

v. Orbe Clamp (RM 450). This is a standard upgrade from Michell. I would agree that the improvement is significant. I guess it is akin to "looking out of a cleaned window".

vi. DIY DC Regulated Power Supply (RM 250). Samad brought his HR Power supply (RM 1,800) for a listening test - Wow, improved clarity and bass. The improvement of the HR over a stock PSU adaptor is quite significant. Since then I have 3 itterations of a DIY Power Supply. I finally adopted a Kubota regulated power supply from ebay (upgraded with Nichicon KG Fine and Elna Silmic II caps) that seems to be quite good. However, I still think with the HR is better.

After about 60 hours on my wood-bodied MC and about 120hrs on the SUT, the music is finally getting more fluid and full bodied. I can better appreciate the lure of vinyl.

mthoi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down