Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Getting the Lenco to be world beater!

Go down

Getting the Lenco to be world beater! Empty Getting the Lenco to be world beater!

Post by foomarnhing Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:59 pm

The title is intended to get your attention whether you have experienced Lenco previously or have intention to start down this path. For newbies, using a Lenco is really simplicity itself and getting a used unit at a fraction of what new turntables cost is a huge advantage. I started this journey by buying a repainted unit installed in a new box plinth. I installed my Linn Basik LVX arm with an Ortofon mc 1 turbo and for reference my Technics Sp10mk 2. It was indeed a revelation when the Lenco with its much cheaper arm and cartridge performed very well referenced to the Technics. I became a Lenco convert and my journey to making my Lenco into world beater started. First the tweaks; cork damping, tightening the springs to make bonding to plinth tighter and a much better arm and cartridge imported from Japan. The sound now have much better PRAT and the bass is now sounding much beefer.
My next decision was to embark on building one of those multi layered plinth meant to provide a completely dead platform for the Lenco. This is when I advertised in this site to build the plinth for those who are similarly inclined, 3 members responded- Fizi, Mr Low and Mr Hoi. The plinths have been built and delivered and i have finally installed my newly acquired NOS Lenco into my own plinth(after planing,sanding and 8 coats of varnish) and this time I decided to install my long idle Moerch UP-4 arm and Ortofon Kontrapunct a cart. Being only the second time I have installed an arm, I can say that it is indeed a harrowing and huge learning experience but finally done.
Now the listening. After so many years of idleness sitting in my unused Linn, both the arm and cart seem to need some running in, perhaps maybe more cos there must be some effect from the dust gathered on the arm! There was some initial problems of anti skate set up and mistracking/ distortion. Nevertheless finally the sound settled down and all the issues seem to be corrected. With a close audiophile friend to help in assessing the sound, here are the effects heard in comparison with the original box plinth Lenco .
Vocals- this is firstly the most noticeable as voices of both male and female singers are now clearly more natural. My friend who is a long time fan of James Taylor remarked that this is the first time he can really hear JT sing! ie the nuances and the inflexions of the throat etc.

Bass- The Lenco is already well known for good bass, the new plinth seems to let the bass go down to oceanic levels yet retaining solid beats that makes one wonder whether there is an added subwoofer in the system( I don't use one). My friend affirmed that in his view the bass is now truly world class!

Details and Silence- I put these 2 qualities together as I believe one leads to the other. The now much more noticeable silence now enabled the micro details to emerge much better in the overall soundfield and also seems to give a sharper better defined soundstage especially in terms of depth. I am a details freak and this improvement is perhaps the one area I am most happy with!

PRAT- Needless to say this area is excellent and the Lenco fully deserves the revival of interest in the TT for this reason. It is not easy to achieve PRAT excellence and most TT I have listened to cannot match the Lenco in this area.

I think I have said enough and if after reading this you are keen to start this journey to Lenco heaven, do contact me and I will be happy to just share my experience. My hp is 0193179618.
For purpose of reference, I have used Linn, Thorens, Technics SL1200 and Sp10mk2 and have listened to many others like Garrard, Micro Seiki, Luxman etc too many to list. For now the Lenco in the new plinth is King!

foomarnhing
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down