Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Vintage vs modern speakers - what's your take?

+31
don_nad
7810sam
runemaster
ora-ito
CH
tycham
Cooltube
antaklugom
kowtim
skooi3
car o scope
sflam
123_rocketman
hoyhoysum
uncle_vic
junchoon
joeling
yhsam
buzz
rsbn589
azri
bal
musikaki
Wan Azami Hamzah
alex_kff
bimmerman
mugenfoo
cmboy
kancan
CN Yee
wabun
35 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Vintage vs modern speakers - what's your take? - Page 4 Empty Re: Vintage vs modern speakers - what's your take?

Post by wabun Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:41 pm

saw one Heybrook in Lelong last time, asking for few hundred..put there long time also cannot sell. nowadays these "oldies" has been forgotten. some even dun heard the name Goodmans, Jensen, Bozak, Isophon....sigh

wabun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Character sheet
Source(s): Mac mini - Bryston BDP - Calyx DAC 24/192 - Rega P8
Amplification: Jumpan Balance - ARC VT100Mk3 - Musical Fidelity FX
Speakers: JBL 4313B , Harbeth P3esr

Back to top Go down

Vintage vs modern speakers - what's your take? - Page 4 Empty Re: Vintage vs modern speakers - what's your take?

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:32 pm

Yeah if there's anyone out there come across Heybrook HB1 OR HB2 give them a listen. Fact is they'll probably be cheap due to non exposure in Malaysia then. These were exceptional lower mid price speakers in the 70s, so were Dean Altos but don't think you'll ever get these brought here.
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 248

Back to top Go down

Post by don_nad Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:50 pm

During my college days i very much like the sound from Mordaunt Short Pageant 2. Saw one in Ebay singapore selling for $480. The front end is an Ariston TT + rega arm cartridge with Crimson Elektrik 500 pre/power amp. What happen to Crimson Elektrik?

don_nad

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:06 pm

Mordaunt Short, yeah they used to have great speakers too, Pegeant inc.

Hmm what happened to Crimson Electric? I still have the 501/502 pre/power. Great little amps driving a pair of dean Altos with my Linn Sondek front end during me college days in England in the late 70s early 80s. Unique looking amps. Pre is battery powered, mine with mm/mc on board. Need some repairs, will do it one day.
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzy939 Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:03 pm

Wan Azami,
In the late 70's/early 80's do you remember a speaker with the name 'videotone' or something like that? Which is always the minimum recommendation to buy speakers..

jazzy939
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:28 pm

Hmm... Videotone, does ring an old bell, can't remember the model. Default budget recommendation those days include AR 18 then a bit later those cute Wharfedale Diamond babies.
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzy939 Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:52 pm

Wan,
I think(after a really hard thinking! Vintage vs modern speakers - what's your take? - Page 4 Icon_razz ) it's 'Minimax'.. a friend of mine had it.. pretty good actually driven by the infamous NAD 3020... The source is also the infamous Dual CS505... Oh I do remembered the AR18 and later the AR18S..

jazzy939
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:00 pm

Ah yes Minimax that's it. And you're right, The Dual, NAD and AR trio set ups filled every student's digs and bedsits in my Varsity years in England.
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle88 Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:38 pm

Hey guys, I prefer vintage speaker cos most of them have high sensivity.
This allow me to play with 300b single ended amp.
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Turntable
Amplification: Tube gear
Speakers: High sensitivity speaker

Back to top Go down

Post by deng8895 Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:56 pm

There is up and down between modern and vintage speaker

Mid-fi modern speaker nowadays mostly built in China or other asia countries, resulting slightly lower built quality compare to vintage speaker.

But the downside for vintage spks are lower technology and expensive compare to modern speaker with similar spec and sound

deng8895
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Vintage vs modern speakers - what's your take? - Page 4 Empty Modern or vintage speaker?

Post by noodle88 Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:17 pm

deng8895 wrote:There is up and down between modern and vintage speaker

Mid-fi modern speaker nowadays mostly built in China or other asia countries, resulting slightly lower built quality compare to vintage speaker.

But the downside for vintage spks are lower technology and expensive compare to modern speaker with similar spec and sound

These days china did produce hi end n hi sensitive speaker with vintage component
like western eletric, tad
noodle88
noodle88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Turntable
Amplification: Tube gear
Speakers: High sensitivity speaker

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:10 am

jazzy939 wrote:Wan,
I think(after a really hard thinking! Vintage vs modern speakers - what's your take? - Page 4 Icon_razz ) it's 'Minimax'.. a friend of mine had it.. pretty good actually driven by the infamous NAD 3020... The source is also the infamous Dual CS505... Oh I do remembered the AR18 and later the AR18S..

Darn, i just totally trashed and ripped apart an old Dual CS505 TT last week!

The motor had quit already so i was damn keen to look at the automatic mechanism inside.

Still got the A&R Cambridge C77 cartridge that i salvaged from the tonearm. But not too sure if the stylus is still good or chipped because it looks suspiciously flat.
Free giveaway! Any takers?
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzy939 Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:04 am

mugenfoo,
any remnants left out of the CS505? Very Happy
What are you, a TT Terminator? LOL!
If the stylus looks flat you can be sure that the diamond tip is gone..
Have not seen(heard) the C77 for a long time! Don't think can get the replacement stylus for it now...

jazzy939
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by chamts1 Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:06 am

Hi, I have been keen to try another cartridge on my entry level rega p1 which came with stock cartridge (Ortofon om5e i think). Do you know if the C77 will fit into the p1? If so I will be interested. Also, can check the stylus with 10x magnifying eyepiece (similar to those used by our elderly watch repairer gentleman)...
Kind regards
Cham TS

chamts1
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by wabun Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:24 am

Deng, not really. if you visit Audiofest 2008 and listen to Coral setup in Diyparadise room, you will be amazed by the "older than you" speaker. a modern full range with similiar price only smell the smoke oh

wabun
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 423

Character sheet
Source(s): Mac mini - Bryston BDP - Calyx DAC 24/192 - Rega P8
Amplification: Jumpan Balance - ARC VT100Mk3 - Musical Fidelity FX
Speakers: JBL 4313B , Harbeth P3esr

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzy939 Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:57 am

chamts1,
The C77 should be useable on your setup. Personally I think you would like the C77 over your current ortofon. Just grab the cartridge(no cost) and get a new stylus.. Wink

jazzy939
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:19 pm

My take on this (inflation and corresponding cost of living considered):

1. Technology always on the advance hence modern stuff tends to be better esp with longstanding known manufacturer who builds on their experience to improve their products. Therefore I dream of a top end B&W monitors.
2. Some manufacturers sought to improve on their successful formulas with gradual but minor important improvements, read Quads, Harbeths, Spendors and some horns. Therefore the early models become classics and collectibles and still relevant today.
3. I personally would like to have two systems, one vintage and one modern. Play older music on the former and new stuff on the latter. Relevant according to music and relative recording techniques of the times.

Hi Fi is a hobby, music listening is a passion. As long as you achieve both goals, it doest matter how you journey them. Cheers

farao
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by antaklugom Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:04 pm

Wan Azami,
FYI, all B & W Speakers are Now manufactured in their Factory in China under licence from their parent company in England. Except if you still can find a willing seller who still has the Original England Made for sale.
Vintage vs modern speakers - what's your take? - Page 4 Icon_smile Vintage vs modern speakers - what's your take? - Page 4 Icon_smile Vintage vs modern speakers - what's your take? - Page 4 Icon_smile
antaklugom
antaklugom
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:20 pm

Hi Antak,

How's my good man? I've nothing against MIC made Western products even actual Chinese brands for that matter. I've a MIC Takamine EG360SC acoustic guitar made to strict Japanese luthier QC. Superb workmanship and sound. I have high respect for Shanling, Eastern Electric, Melody etc.

Happy New Year Antak. Cheers Very Happy
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:25 pm

antaklugom wrote:Wan Azami,
FYI, all B & W Speakers are Now manufactured in their Factory in China under licence from their parent company in England. Except if you still can find a willing seller who still has the Original England Made for sale.
Vintage vs modern speakers - what's your take? - Page 4 Icon_smile Vintage vs modern speakers - what's your take? - Page 4 Icon_smile Vintage vs modern speakers - what's your take? - Page 4 Icon_smile

That Summit USJ shop has a pair of old rectangularish B&W and a pair of Wharfy Delta 30.1, paper cones and all.

For all lovers of such gear, do go grab 'em while they're there !
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:55 pm

When I was in secondary school there were these huge Living Audio speakers which I thought sounded fabulous. Belonged to one of my teachers and he'd used them during our school concert.
No clue of this brand when I grew up in hi fi. when
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:40 pm

Living Audio. The speaker brand of Chrysler Electric, Japan.

Very popular in the 70s. Somehow, faded into obscurity in the 80s onwards.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4