Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

WTB - Classical Music CDs

4 posters

Go down

WTB - Classical Music CDs Empty WTB - Classical Music CDs

Post by sfcwlim Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:40 pm

Since the closure of Tower Records, hardly can find good quality classical CDs with labels such as Harmonia Mundi, Philips Classic, DG, Decca, Dynamic, Naxos, EMI Classic, etc.

Any recommended local CD shops or recommended classical CD online shops ?

Thanks

sfcwlim

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-06-09

Back to top Go down

WTB - Classical Music CDs Empty Re: WTB - Classical Music CDs

Post by cmboy Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:15 pm

Try various Rock Corner outlets in some shopping complexes, limited choice and see what you fancy there lah. Otherwise buy from Amazon.com, UK or US is your other best bet. Perhaps some hifi shops in Klang Valley could have a handful choice too. I don't think there'll be another Towers like classical department here in the near future.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by zul Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:28 pm

sfcwlim wrote:Since the closure of Tower Records, hardly can find good quality classical CDs with labels such as Harmonia Mundi, Philips Classic, DG, Decca, Dynamic, Naxos, EMI Classic, etc.

Any recommended local CD shops or recommended classical CD online shops ?

Thanks
Tower Records is now at Lot 10....albeit at a smaller scale... WTB - Classical Music CDs Icon_rolleyes unless that one closed down too!
zul
zul
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-02-22

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by kowtim Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi sfcwlim

Nice to see a fellow classical music lover here. My recommendation for you is to check out www.magnatune.com

I have supported them by buying some stuff from them over the years. I hope you might consider doing so too... they really are good guys and truly care about the artist and the listener.

Harmonia Mundi.... I wrote to them 2 years ago explaining how difficult it was getting their CD's here... it was a waste of time. Likewise a waste of time corresponding with their local distributor. The end result of my Harmonia Mundi experience is that its not a label I would readily support.

Channel Classics is another fine label whose catalog you might want to look into.

Happy listening
kowtim
kowtim
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2009-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by sfcwlim Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:10 pm

zul wrote:
Tower Records is now at Lot 10....albeit at a smaller scale... WTB - Classical Music CDs Icon_rolleyes unless that one closed down too!

Yeah, i noticed that, but the selection is limited. Thanks for response WTB - Classical Music CDs Icon_smile

sfcwlim

Back to top Go down

Post by sfcwlim Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:16 pm

kowtim wrote:Hi sfcwlim

Nice to see a fellow classical music lover here. My recommendation for you is to check out www.magnatune.com

I have supported them by buying some stuff from them over the years. I hope you might consider doing so too... they really are good guys and truly care about the artist and the listener.

Harmonia Mundi.... I wrote to them 2 years ago explaining how difficult it was getting their CD's here... it was a waste of time. Likewise a waste of time corresponding with their local distributor. The end result of my Harmonia Mundi experience is that its not a label I would readily support.

Channel Classics is another fine label whose catalog you might want to look into.

Happy listening

Thanks Kowtim, i will definitely check out www.magnatune.com website, i hope they offer free shipping like YesAsia.com when your order reached US 35.

I used to buy CD online from tower record US, but lately, they have stopped shipping to M'sia, wonder why? Piracy issue? WTB - Classical Music CDs Icon_cry

I love the classical recording by Dynamic (listened from TAS 2005 - TAS 2009), their recording are superb and lively.

sfcwlim

Back to top Go down

Post by kowtim Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:14 pm

Your welcome sfcwlim

If free shipping and high quality recordings are whats important to you, then chances are my reccomendations may be somewhat inappropriate to you.

Whilst Magnatune does offer CD's for sale, their business model caters more towards people who are willing to download the album and artwork and liner notes and burn their own CD's. (And hence wish to save some money)

Also, my reccomendations to you were based on labels whose focus is on getting artists who are great players and offer great interpretations and or alternative insights of the works they are performing. The recording aspect is simply not their main priority. As the recording quality is of rather some importance to you, then you might be rather disapointed with some of their titles.

I have a fabulous Telemann Horn Concertos CD from an audiophile label called MDG. Not sure what the rest of their catalog is like as I only have 2 titles from them. But they seem to pride themselves on their recordings in their liner notes. Perhaps you can look there?

Sorry I can't really help you more as my own concerns are about the interpretative aspects of this genre.

Perhaps it might be a good idea again for you to go thru your TAS
material again to see if there are any other Audiophile labels they suggest that you
could try ordering from?

Happy listening
kowtim
kowtim
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2009-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content