Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Locally Made Hifi related products...

+7
Rijang
STC
zeebee
dudie-dude
adrian4454
123_rocketman
wingman
11 posters

Go down

Locally Made Hifi related products... Empty Locally Made Hifi related products...

Post by wingman Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:31 am

Wanting to share my take and experience on these locally made products....

Since I embarked on this HiFi journey...I always had this impression that "locally" made products were not on par with products beyond our shores.

So...my stable was predominantly made up of products from beyond the shores as well. A few people managed to sway me to try local products....namely my Very Happy wife Very Happy ...." Try stuffs which are made locally....in the affordable price bracket and you may be suprised "...thats her exact words.

and a member from this forum ( never met before - "rocketman"....???) ....with his "ACE" power cable recommendation....

and price factors as well......

Over the years...have invested on the following products made or assembled locally :

Ace Power Cable - cost effective and sound investment. Still part of my Hifi Stable.

Michael Lim's REGA TT - accessoires - Acrylic Platter, Aluminium sub-platter, record clamp, double pulley, silicone belt, thrust bearing, 3 point VTA spacers.....these items contributed or shall i say extracted extra musical juice from my REGA P2, Planar 3's.

Audio Image Record Cleaner - locally assembled... well built, robust, durable and super heavy. Worth every penny i spent. Super clean vinyl collection.....

Frank Pipit's 22L Phono - Was pretty much happy with my CA Phono 640P....and was looking around for a step up transformer to add on to my TT setup....did some WEB search....toying with the idea of a DIY route....or custom make options.....the Pipit popped up...read reviews.....and contacted the man himself.....and the rest is history....part of my stable for the past three months...very grainy at the beginning....totally hated it...over time it improved......falling in place like a puzzle. Listening to my favourite LP's - Bob Marley...each angle of the music is emphasized...detailed...crisp.

The Repair Man - Mr Oh....pleasant...accomodating and full of energy when you have a chat with him. He has helped me along the way....giving good and sound subtle advice / views and rehabilitated my spoilt hardware.

That's pretty much it...appreciation going out to the product / service owners.

End of the day....these are my views.

cheers Very Happy

Last edited by wingman on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 855
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Locally Made Hifi related products... Empty Re: Locally Made Hifi related products...

Post by 123_rocketman Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:40 am

Hi Wingman,

Thanks for remembering me and glad that the cable meets your expectation. Very Happy

123_rocketman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Locally Made Hifi related products... Empty Re: Locally Made Hifi related products...

Post by wingman Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:03 am

Hi...

Been a while....and the pleasure is mine.

How is your system setup ?

cheers Very Happy
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:55 am

hmm.. but do not really have a local speaker maker around.. some effort was done in the past, if those of u still recall FAT, Trikay..

all sudah perish...

Now looking for a way to make a speaker.. high sensitivity one~

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Locally Made Hifi related products... Empty Found this!

Post by dudie-dude Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:20 pm

Check this one..wonder if they're still around,..free trial.

http://www.curveacoustics.com/index.html

Anyone for it??

Cheers.

dudie-dude
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2012-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:52 pm

Hi Dudie,

Thanks.. wah, I never heard of this one..

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:12 pm

adrian4454 wrote:hmm.. but do not really have a local speaker maker around.. some effort was done in the past..

Now looking for a way to make a speaker.. high sensitivity one~

I've seen and heard a pair of horn/ single driver high sensitivity speakers designed and made by a local hifi maker... It's about six feet tall and sounds sweet with the SETS he's selling.. Just wished he'd market them locally...
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:56 pm

Anyone heard of NCA Labs Ultra High Definition speakers? I believe they were US speakers made in Malaysia in the 80s. I am still using their very first speakers. I believe it was a JV with a local AV Co.
STC
STC
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2010-08-14

Character sheet
Source(s): Ambiophonics setup.
Amplification:
Speakers: Electrostatics

https://stchelvam.wixsite.com/ambiophonics3dstereo

Back to top Go down

Locally Made Hifi related products... Empty I remember that!

Post by dudie-dude Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:19 pm

Zeebee just reminded me of this one, horn loaded, high sensitivity & single driver set-up.

adrian4454 might one to check this one-out...

http://jasondiyaudio.blogspot.com/

It's a blog by one of our talents....not sure if its still active though (by the look of it)

Have a good weekend guys!!

Cheers.

dudie-dude
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2012-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:29 pm

I think we're missing Prometheus Audio, which ironically the same name used by a Brit TT company... I have a number of his stuff.. Tube DAC (but sadly I'm not using it as much as I'd like), a power 'conditioner' and a step down tranny which is absolutely wonderful ... I'd like to see more local support for all local products.. Very Happy
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rijang Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:33 pm

Also using promitheus conditioner, DAC and TVC. IMHO the TVC is one of best value for money/performance equipment.

Rijang
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:15 pm

Malaysia BOLEH !

I wonder whether all our local talent here will be participating in the KLIAV show.

Locally Made Hifi related products... Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:01 pm

Boy... Coincidence or what, Sam Tellig doing another piece on, this time the Reference TVC4, page 19 of May 2013 Stereophile...Bravo Nicholas cheers

Last edited by zeebee on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:11 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:07 am

So Nicholas is a local chap?

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rijang Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:09 am

Search for promitheus audio TVC. Manufacturer Webpage is promitheusaudio. I'm just a fan of their stuff. Enjoythemusic.com had a review on TVC Se couple of years ago.

Rijang
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:17 am

IMHO three locally made products that should make this list are;
Frank Power Bank
DIY Paradise Schumann Resonator
Octave Electronic Top Gun line filter

Last edited by DrWho on Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correction)
DrWho
DrWho
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2009-10-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers: Genelec

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:57 am

Rijang wrote:Search for promitheus audio TVC. Manufacturer Webpage is promitheusaudio. I'm just a fan of their stuff. Enjoythemusic.com had a review on TVC Se couple of years ago.

So all the items on this page is http://www.promitheusaudio.com/frontpage.html are locally made by Nicolas?

This is seriuosly cool. I want to try the tube DAC.

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rijang Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:03 pm

There was a 90 pages thread on audio circle forum. Started with praises but descended to negative due to late delivery and after sales service; due to distance I suppose.
By coincidence I just took out my tube DAC from my system last night, wanted to test my other DAC as someone was interested to buy it, now having second thoughts about letting it go. PM me, I would consider loaning you provided you write a review. Very Happy

Rijang
Club Member
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:30 pm

Hi Dr....

Any comments on the Octave Line conditioner?

We should support local products.....gives oppurtunity for growth for these talented individual.

Cheers Very Happy
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:06 am

Wingman,
The Octave Top Gun filter is similar in design as a Schaffner line filter expect that the former incorporates premium grade inductors, capacitors and resistor. It comes in a modular form and can be used inside a device replacing the original filter or incorporated into the power cable inside a aluminium box, ie like the MIT cable.
Improvements:
Better power with good definition
Better speed with correct pace and rhythm
Better dynamics
Wider sound stage and holographic images
Silky highs
Black background

The top Gun filter is quite costly due to all the premium grade components used. It is worth all the money!

DrWho
DrWho
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:42 pm

Thanks...Dr....

Cheers Very Happy
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:28 am

Hi Dudie,

Thanks for the info.. look like you are a pro surfer. I never did come across so these local webpage.

Been contemplating about a speaker cabinet for Tang Band W8-1808. Maybe will give it a try. Thanks.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:24 pm

Rijang wrote:There was a 90 pages thread on audio circle forum. Started with praises but descended to negative due to late delivery and after sales service; due to distance I suppose.
By coincidence I just took out my tube DAC from my system last night, wanted to test my other DAC as someone was interested to buy it, now having second thoughts about letting it go. PM me, I would consider loaning you provided you write a review. Very Happy

Waaaahhh Rijang.....tempting offer. Will give you a shout through PM. Thanks.

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:52 am

Hi...

Doc...what would be the price of these line filters...need to make some long term target.... Very Happy bounce Very Happy

Moderators...should we not have an area showcasing all these locally made hifi gear.. Question Question or a link to their respective Websites.

Thanks and Cheers Very Happy
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:43 am

wingman wrote:Hi...
Doc...what would be the price of these line filters...need to make some long term target.... Very Happy bounce Very Happy

Octave will remove the existing filter and install the new filter for RM1200. As I have mentioned earlier the components used are all top grade audiophile type thus the cost.
Can I walk the talk? I have 3 Frankie Power Banks, 5 Octave Top Gun filters and 11 DIY Paradise Schumann Resonators incorporated in my system. Twisted Evil
DrWho
DrWho
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:15 am

Hi...

Doc...sure you can...impressed...with your add on's...

Thanks for sharing.

cheers Very Happy
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by zulkifar Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:15 am

Mention must also be made about LST Audio (Lim Seng Tuan, if I am not mistaken helmed the company), one of the local pioneers which ventured into quality speakers and monitors. Some of their products are still popular in the second-hand market. Sadly the company is no more...

zulkifar
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-10-27

Character sheet
Source(s): LP,CD
Amplification: SET
Speakers: Dynamic

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Wed May 01, 2013 7:27 am

wingman wrote:Hi...

Moderators...should we not have an area showcasing all these locally made hifi gear.. Question Question or a link to their respective Websites.

With all the praises on local products, it definitely warrant a dedicated thread. What shall we call it?

The only local product I am using is the USB Naked DAC....built by one of our forummer.

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by DrWho Wed May 01, 2013 7:51 am

elhefe wrote:
With all the praises on local products, it definitely warrant a dedicated thread.

Kudos! The local manufacturers need all the help they can get. cheers
DrWho
DrWho
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Wed May 01, 2013 10:28 am

My pre-amp is locally made. He is no longer operating, so no need to mention. But it is the best pre-amp i have ever heard. Some of my power cables are made by Yap at Octave, and they sound amazing for the asking mullah. I have tried comparing a couple cables from Zu audio and i find his more musical, and more appealing to me in the areas that matter to me.

Intrigued about the top gun line filters and must ask Yeap if he still makes them.

Cheers and for all the back breaking hard working friends in the forum i wish you one and all a happy labour day.
Bal

bal

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac
Amplification: conrad Johnson, Oddessy Khartago mono b
Speakers: maggie 1.7

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman Wed May 01, 2013 1:43 pm

Hi...

I am of the view that we should provide a link to their dedicated websites for starters. After which a well thought out thread solely dedicated to their products - a brief overview of product, customer feedback be it a positive or negative and selling price. All these would be the responsibility of the product owner.

We should also highlight past products that may not be of existence anymore with the demise of the company that manufactured them....A tad bit of history....

Or some other may have other suggestions.

Cheers Very Happy
wingman
wingman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down