Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Energy Connoisseur C-2 Canadian Bookshelf Speaker (used)

Go down

Energy Connoisseur C-2 Canadian Bookshelf Speaker (used) Empty Energy Connoisseur C-2 Canadian Bookshelf Speaker (used)

Post by HiFiLab Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:08 am

Energy Connoisseur C-2 Canadian Bookshelf Speaker (used) P1030225

Energy Connoisseur C-2 Canadian Bookshelf Speaker (used) P1030226

Energy Connoisseur C-2 Canadian Bookshelf Speaker (used) P1030227

Energy Connoisseur C-2 Canadian Bookshelf Speaker (used) P1030228

Made In Canada

Decription:
Two-way,
reflex-loaded,
stand-mounted loudspeaker.

Drive-units:
- 1" aluminum-dome tweeter,
- 6.5" woofer with injection-molded, aluminum/polypropylene cone.

Crossover frequency: 1.8kHz.

Frequency response: 40Hz–25kHz ±3dB.

Sensitivity: 88dB/W/m, anechoic.

Nominal impedance: 8 ohms (4.5 ohms, minimum).

Recommended amplifier power: 30–130Wpc.

Dimensions: 17.75" H by 9.7" W by 9.75" D.

Weight: 38 lbs/pair.

Energy Loudspeakers, a wholly owned division of Klipsch Group, Inc., 3641 McNicholl Ave., Scarborough, Ontario, Canada,

One look at the C-2 tells you that there is some new-think at work here, at least in the cosmetic department. The "Spherex (tm)" front baffle is injection-molded for low diffraction and integrates with an internal, multi-level bracing system. No screws are visible, and there is no readily apparent way to remove the drive-units (which was something of a problem in the course of this review—see below). The grille frame is lightweight and the grille is said to be acoustically transparent (I did my listening with the grilles off anyway), and dual, five-way binding posts are provided on the rear for bi-wiring, if desired. While the MDF cabinet is vinyl-wrapped, the look is definitely not cheap. Our samples had a gorgeous, polished rosewood finish; gloss black and black ash are also available.

Energy hasn't shortchanged on the technical side of the C-2's design, either. The aluminum-dome, cloth-suspension tweeter was originally designed for Energy's top-of-the-line Veritas v2.8 loudspeaker. It has a low fundamental resonance of 550Hz—allowing for a relatively low 1.8kHz crossover frequency—and ferrofluid cooling. The woofer has a sophisticated voice-coil/magnet structure and an injection-molded, aluminum/polypropylene cone with a composite butyl rubber surround. Both drivers are said to be smooth enough to allow for a relatively straightforward crossover network. The components in the latter are used only for the required high-pass/low-pass rolloffs, and not to correct for driver or enclosure anomalies

From the start, the C-2s projected a big, open sound, with ambience, depth, and imaging to spare. The huge acoustic spaces surrounding the rooms

the C-2 does produce a satisfying sense of low-end extension, an extension not bought at the expense of the midbass. The latter—clean, tight, and detailed—is arguably better balanced and in better proportion to the rest of the audible range than in many larger, more expensive loudspeakers

I was equally impressed with the Energy's midrange. It was notably uncolored, particularly on vocal material.

To determine this, I compared it with the B&W DM602 (reviewed by Steven Stone in the Fall 1996 issue—Vol.2 No.3—of the Stereophile Guide to Home Theater). In almost every particular I preferred the Energy. Its top end was sweeter, yet even more pristinely detailed, its bass went noticeably deeper, its midbass and midrange had more natural warmth.
Much of this, of course, is dependent on the setup and the room; the position used for the pair of B&Ws was identical to that used for the C-2s. While it is possible that a nearer wall position would better suit the '602s, by warming up the sound to better balance their too-crisp top, the playing field was level. (The lean sound of the B&Ws in my room surprised me, since JA's measurements on the '602s indicate a somewhat elevated midbass response.) On the other hand, the B&W is considerably more sensitive than the C-2 and $150/pair cheaper. The DM602 performed well, but did not, for me, transcend its price. The Energy C-2 did.

Conclusion
 Reality check number two. The Energy C-2 will not knock down the walls with its ability to play loud and/or deep. Some caution must be exercised when playing powerful, extended bass material at realistic (less than heavy-metal) levels in large rooms. And there is an ease and scale in the sound of more ambitious designs which the C-2 cannot quite match.
But the C-2s do not sound small. They are neutral enough, in themselves, to tell you what is on the recording. Revealing and low in coloration, they will also tell you what is happening with the rest of your system. Their strengths are also not lost on better equipment than might seem appropriate for a $700 pair of loudspeakers. And they definitely serve the music. In short, if you can't quite swing those $65,000 monoliths, or even those $2000 minimonitors, take a serious listen to the Energy C-2s.

Price : RM680

Last edited by HiFiLab on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Price Reduce)

HiFiLab
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 2967
Registration date : 2011-03-12

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Energy Connoisseur C-2 Canadian Bookshelf Speaker (used) Empty BUMP

Post by HiFiLab Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:53 pm

HiFiLab wrote:

BUMP

HiFiLab

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Energy Connoisseur C-2 Canadian Bookshelf Speaker (used) Empty BUMP

Post by HiFiLab Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:11 pm

HiFiLab wrote:

BUMP

HiFiLab

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Energy Connoisseur C-2 Canadian Bookshelf Speaker (used) Empty Re: Energy Connoisseur C-2 Canadian Bookshelf Speaker (used)

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down