Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Lost of Details _ Where is the missing link

5 posters

Go down

Lost of Details _ Where is the missing link Empty Lost of Details _ Where is the missing link

Post by sari Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:35 am

Recently I discovered that my system was not able to produce certain details like the back ground chorus of Eric Clapton's Tears in Heaven unplug version. I would like to get some opinions on what is the missing link in my system.
Is it the amp (Using a Denson DM10), Speakers (Chario Delphinius) or source (audio analogue CD player) or even is the CD.
Thanks,
Sari

sari
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2011-12-03

Back to top Go down

Lost of Details _ Where is the missing link Empty Re: Lost of Details _ Where is the missing link

Post by bal Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:58 am

Sari, is your copy of this cd a local copy or imported? This is one of my favourite cd and I was surprised to hear much more detail in a friends home playing this cd.

Turns out he had the US copy and mine was local. I went to ebay and managed to get a US copy (used) and it is much clearer with more detail.

I used to think that local copies were ok, but after this experience I don't buy local copies any more. So perhaps you can check where your copy is made.

bal

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac
Amplification: conrad Johnson, Oddessy Khartago mono b
Speakers: maggie 1.7

Back to top Go down

Lost of Details _ Where is the missing link Empty Re: Lost of Details _ Where is the missing link

Post by scwong Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:07 am

Yes, same here. US pressed reveals more. Germany also.

scwong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s): cd format
Amplification: Integrated
Speakers: bookshelf

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:47 am

sari,
i am just curious - how did you know some details were missing? 
1) did you hear it previously with your system and now you can't hear it with your system?
2) did you hear the details in a friend's system and when you went home to play with your system, the details were missing?

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sari Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:32 pm

Went to check out a friend's new turn table and I was surprise how come I never hear that before. That why the question about the equipment but my local version CD must has also causes the huge different.

sari
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2011-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by chewkwokhon Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:59 pm

Speaking on real live test just happened last week.  Also, witnessed by CMK, Tan and Aric.   An original RedBook CD, “Fleetwood Mac – Rumours”   Make in the Germany lost out in details and dynamics, making a RM1million hi-end system sounded more like a RM10k system.  It was compared with a similar Hybrid SACD, Make in Japan.  We were comparing the CD to CD layer and not CD to SACD layer immediately on the same system.
I am not surprise to hear similar happening.  The only surprise is, why a Make in Germany CD is almost the same price as the Make in Japan and yet not at par in performance.
If, your system is already attained certain degree of definition, you can actually hear the difference.

chewkwokhon
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2009-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by sflam Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:04 pm

sari,
you are comparing two types of music platforms - the cd vs vinyl.
why don't u borrow the same cd from someone and play it in your system? if you can hear the details with your friend's cd, then it could be due to the pressing as has been suggested by the other forumers.
if you cannot hear the details even with your friend's cd, then it could be your system.
try this - get a headphone amp and good headphones. connect the headphone amp to your cd player and play your cd. you will be surprised by the amount of details you will hear. if you can hear the background chorus, then it's not the fault of the cd. it's your system.

sflam
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2009-03-09

http://www.av2day.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down