Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

How much for that used Mark Levinson No.39?

4 posters

Go down

How much for that used Mark Levinson No.39? Empty How much for that used Mark Levinson No.39?

Post by bimmerman Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:55 pm

Does anyone know how much a used Mark Levinson No.39 costs in the secondhand market? It's almost 13 years old and has been superceeded twice. Anyone knows?
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Character sheet
Source(s): Mark Levinson
Amplification: KRELL
Speakers: Sonus Faber

Back to top Go down

How much for that used Mark Levinson No.39? Empty Re: How much for that used Mark Levinson No.39?

Post by mugenfoo Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:59 pm

post in the WTB section lah ... or subscribe to that Audio bluebook service on the internet ..
Smile
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

How much for that used Mark Levinson No.39? Empty Re: How much for that used Mark Levinson No.39?

Post by bimmerman Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:42 am

Thanks Moogen. Actually I can't say for sure if I want to buy until I know how much these things are worth. Some US forums indicate under US$2K and if that is so then can consider but if it's something like RM10K then forget it lah.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:43 am

It's more likely between RM5k to RM10k (I know that's a very wide range). I would hazard a guess somewhere nearer the RM10k mark, like RM7 or 8k. Mark Levinson electronics are considered on par with those from Krell and Audio Research, et al. Be careful of their sonic signatures though. The older models can sound dark but the newer models apparently have a more natural presentation. They used to use those annoying CAMAC connectors (supposed to be better than standard RCA) but they are now smarter and have changed to the standard RCA + XLR connectors.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by daddy Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:31 pm

I like to know too. How much for that used Mark Levinson No.39? Icon_redface
daddy
daddy

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:39 pm

Thanks KN, So in the ballpark of above RM5K to under RM10K then. Hmmm... I want one!

Have been Googling up the No.39 for a while now and whenever you Google No.39, results from the best of Wadia and Krell also surface. The No.39 is associated with distinguished company indeed. One reviewer reckons the No.39 beats the Wadia 16 of similar vintage but is beaten by the Krell KPS20 although not by much. But of course the Krell is in a different price range altogether.

Looking at pics on the internet the No.39 has no CAMAC connector in sight. It's the usual XLR / RCA and oddly RJ11 for communicating with other Levinsons.

I Googled the world for reviews but could not find that many. In the end this gem of a review surfaced from our own backyard. Betcha Mr Raptor has totally forgotten about it too: http://sites.thestar.com.my/audio/story.asp?file=/1997/1/02sxmark

Will be in Singapore next week hunting for a No.39.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:42 pm

The Krell KAV-300CD suddenly came to mind. Googled it and guess what... nope, not in the same league as the Levinson 39.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:54 pm

Hmmm... if the Mark 39 is rated so high, then you might not even get it for below RM10k. I did not realize it is rated so high (many years never deal with Mark Levinson already. What my friend had was No. 30 and 31 last time). Have you tried what mugenfoo suggested : to check in the bluebook or something.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:22 pm

Well, good as the No.39 was, it's been around since 1995 and that is very very old already. Excellent at that time but how does it compare to newer technologies at lower prices. How would it fare against SACD? Parts availability issues? Furthermore it's been superseded twice by the Levinson No.390s and the No390s superseded by the No.512. So I'm hoping all these factors will help to drive prices down to sane levels.

I suddenly realised something... If nobody knew about the No.39 then I should probably keep quiet about it until I find one at a good price. If everybody knew about the No.39 then it would surely be detrimental to my quest. How silly can I be? You know lah, suddenly everybody wants a No.39.

Yup... to the bluebook. i'm outa here.
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down